Gaming Forums > General Gaming

Sitting on the sidelines: PS5 vs XB Series X

<< < (6/8) > >>

pokepal148:
I did the 3DS launch so I feel like I have the whole console launch game covered.

Adrock:

--- Quote from: Khushrenada on February 25, 2021, 11:08:07 PM ---(Although after so many accusations of Nintendo supposedly releasing low stock of consoles and games or other items on purpose to artificially generate hype or not being smart enough to meet the demand they have, where are the accusations of Sony doing this with the PS5?)
--- End quote ---
Those accusations are tinfoil hat nonsense. Anyone who thinks about this for a minute can put that to rest. Production lines are contracted months in advance. Companies pay for what they anticipate they can sell. Shipping is contracted in advance as well. Even if a company manufactured a whole ton of an item, they would have to pay more to reroute stock to a different warehouse (space they also have to pay for) then pay again to ship it from that warehouse. Artificially generate hype? No one benefits from that, most of all the hardware manufacturer. Any profits from additional sales gained from extra buzz would be negated and then some by futzing around with the supply chain.

--- Quote ---As far as I'm concerned, the PS5 / XBOX (terrible designations) consoles seem like the most pointless console generation ever. With development cycles on the big name titles from Rockstar or Naughty Dog taking years to complete, it's going to be a long time before any major titles come out from them unless so why buy a system now?
--- End quote ---
From an end user's perspective, sure. AAA games released last year on eighth generation consoles still looked and played well. New hardware doesn't mean good games can't still be released on previous generation hardware. However, it does mean developers get to work with newer techniques, programs, middleware etc. etc. that help in the creation of games. Unreal Engine 5 is slated to be released at the end of the year. My guess is PS4/Xbox One will not be natively supported, and in 2021, no one is going to port it. Grand Theft Auto VI may be see the light of day for a couple more years. It sure will be helpful to have a solid user base for when it finally does.

That said, I'm pretty satisfied with the cycle I'm on. I'll buy Nintendo at launch because the company makes most of my must-buy games, and I don't really get the benefit of them dropping in price significantly. I can definitely wait a few years to jump in the PS5 pool. I'm currently reaping the benefits of an egregious amount of sub-$20 games on PS4.

MASB:

--- Quote --- author=Mr. Bungle link=topic=64947.msg974158#msg974158 date=1614202744
I am planning to get a PS5 when the Horizon Zero Dawn sequel comes out.
--- End quote ---

That's sort of my plan at the moment as well. Seems like Fall 2021 will be its release date. Sony's big holiday game.

The chip shortage seems like it will help Nintendo as far as the Switch staying dominant and slowing down the introduction of next-gen systems.

broodwars:
My PS5 arrived today, which is amusing considering GameStop still doesn't think they've even shipped it on their website. To my irritation, the package had a mandatory signature requirement that FedEx...completely ignored as they appear to have practically chucked the box at my door and ran. Thankfully, everything was perfectly fine.

The PS5 setup process is...an experience, one my home internet is currently fighting with every fiber of its electronic being. It took me a while to get setup, and I'm having a lot of lag and slowdown issues trying to navigate the UI and the PS Store. Looks like this is going to take a while before I get everything setup and downloaded. Currently having issues trying to get my PS4 saves downloaded.

For the life of me, I'll never understand why consoles NEVER launch with folder support in the UI. Console devs have to learn this lesson EVERY generation, without fail. Also, the PS5 power cable appears to be a whole 3 feet long. Wow.

Order.RSS:
Congrats on dodging the reseller bots!  ;) Hope those issues will sort themselves out though, I get the impression these new boxes have some rocky onboarding right now. What are you looking to play on it? Just PS4 games for now?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version