Gaming Forums > General Gaming

Sitting on the sidelines: PS5 vs XB Series X

<< < (5/8) > >>

NWR_insanolord:
I got a Series X about a month ago and I've enjoyed it a lot. A lot of what I've played is older stuff, but the higher specs and much quicker load times make those a really improved experience on the new hardware too. Coming from an original model Xbox One, the entire interface feels so much better.

M.K.Ultra:

--- Quote from: broodwars on February 24, 2021, 10:59:48 PM ---$20 GameStop Gift Card

--- End quote ---
That's worth what, like $10  ;)

Khushrenada:
I don't know. I don't get why anyone feels the need for getting a PS5 at this point? It's just the PS4 but it's got a new hat! The system seems to be selling mainly on the basis that it is new and hard to find because of scalpers. (Although after so many accusations of Nintendo supposedly releasing low stock of consoles and games or other items on purpose to artificially generate hype or not being smart enough to meet the demand they have, where are the accusations of Sony doing this with the PS5?) Thanks to being able to coast on the success of the PS4, the PS5 has some momentum yet Sony seems to be doing what they can to kill it off. Shutting down their Japan Studio while a bunch of big name talent had already been walking away from it earlier. Maybe some games are selling in the west but in Japan the PS5 games are flopping in game sales.

And from this latest State of Play, are there actually people hyped up to play this stuff? Ports of PS4 games. Crash 4 isn't even a year old. Like I get in the past, there were times where a game might have two versions coming out. Epic Mickey 2 is released on the Wii and the Wii U. But those games were released at the same time so that Wii sales didn't eat into potential Wii U sales. Plus, there was a visible difference at least in the visuals between Wii and Wii U. Twilight Princess on Wii and GC is another example. In that case, the GC version was held back a little bit while the Wii version released first to give it more of a boost and reason to buy the Wii. How is Crash 4 going to motivate PS4 users to upgrade or expect big sales now? Square's decided that all PS users want is FF7 stuff so they are going to milk all they can out of that entry it seems. Make the PS5 the FF7 machine. Knockout City didn't really impress me in its Switch trailer and seeing it here on PS5 didn't change my quick opinion of it. I just don't get it.

As far as I'm concerned, the PS5 / XBOX (terrible designations) consoles seem like the most pointless console generation ever. With development cycles on the big name titles from Rockstar or Naughty Dog taking years to complete, it's going to be a long time before any major titles come out from them unless so why buy a system now? There's a reason Nintendo has suddenly taken over Japan and, with Sony and Microsoft seemingly responding to the Switch's success but just releasing home consoles that have more power, it seems like Sony and Microsoft have made the wrong move in responding to that success. Portability seems to be a big thing for so many people gaming and ignoring that just leaves things wide open for Nintendo to keep strengthening their position. The NA first, Europe second, Japan last approach from Sony right now just seems like a pretty poor business decision. Bold strategy Cotton.

broodwars:

--- Quote from: Khushrenada on February 25, 2021, 11:08:07 PM ---I don't know. I don't get why anyone feels the need for getting a PS5 at this point? It's just the PS4 but it's got a new hat! The system seems to be selling mainly on the basis that it is new and hard to find because of scalpers. (Although after so many accusations of Nintendo supposedly releasing low stock of consoles and games or other items on purpose to artificially generate hype or not being smart enough to meet the demand they have, where are the accusations of Sony doing this with the PS5?)
--- End quote ---

You know...I originally made similar accusations at Sony in the months following the PS5's launch, because it seemed to me awfully damn convenient just how consistent the trickle of PS5s has been post-launch. However, when the ongoing national chip shortage is so bad that even the President of the United States just signed an Executive Order to investigate and shore up the problem for the sake of national security ( https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/24/biden-signs-executive-order-to-address-chip-shortage-through-a-supply-chain-review.html )...no, this isn't Sony creating artificial scarcity, at least in North American and Europe. Now, Sony has made it pretty obvious that they're intentionally diverting stock away from Japan so they can shore up Europe and NA, so the shortage in Japan is somewhat artificial. That said, if you're a Japanese gamer, why would you buy a PS5 at this point when Sony's spent the last 2 years telling your country to **** off?

--- Quote ---And from this latest State of Play, are there actually people hyped up to play this stuff? Ports of PS4 games. Crash 4 isn't even a year old. Like I get in the past, there were times where a game might have two versions coming out. Epic Mickey 2 is released on the Wii and the Wii U. But those games were released at the same time so that Wii sales didn't eat into potential Wii U sales. Plus, there was a visible difference at least in the visuals between Wii and Wii U. Twilight Princess on Wii and GC is another example. In that case, the GC version was held back a little bit while the Wii version released first to give it more of a boost and reason to buy the Wii. How is Crash 4 going to motivate PS4 users to upgrade or expect big sales now? Square's decided that all PS users want is FF7 stuff so they are going to milk all they can out of that entry it seems. Make the PS5 the FF7 machine. Knockout City didn't really impress me in its Switch trailer and seeing it here on PS5 didn't change my quick opinion of it. I just don't get it.
--- End quote ---

Well, to each their own but there was some stuff in today's State of Play that I'm interested in playing, like Kena: Bridge of Spirits and Solar Ash. I'm iffy on Returnal and Deathloop, but they are looking increasingly appealing every time Sony's shown them. I've already mentioned that Ratchet and RE Village are major games for me, the former of which is a PS5-exclusive (as is the Demon's Souls remake I've been wanting to play).  The problem with the PS5 is its severe scarcity right now means that devs pretty much HAVE to make PS4 versions since no one can BUY the new consoles without insane effort and a lot of luck.

That said, the big "get" of this new generation isn't really technical flourish, but speed. I agree that Sony spent WAY too much time on Crash 4 in the latest State of Play, but the one thing about that game that's a MAJOR issue on PS4 is the load times (and, to be frank, it's also a major issue in FF7 remake on PS4). That is a hard game that requires frequent restarts, especially if you're trying to fully complete it, and yet levels take an absolutely ridiculous amount of time to load on PS4. Getting games to load on PS5 on par with a cartridge game (and, for now, getting them to run at a 60FPS or higher framerate) is a major "get", so much that I don't understand why Sony doesn't focus on it more instead of the 4K stuff the overwhelming majority of players will never see due to not having the proper display.

I fully agree that Sony pretty much abandoning Japan this generation is reckless and stupid, and I hope it hurts them because I like variety in my gaming experiences. I enjoy the Sony Uni-game, but it's not the ONLY kind of game I play.

Adrock:
Don’t ever buy a console at launch**

**Don’t listen to me. I buy Nintendo consoles at launch because I lack restraint.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version