Gaming Forums > General Gaming

Sitting on the sidelines: PS5 vs XB Series X

<< < (4/8) > >>

Kairon:
With the news that the Xbox Series S will be an all-digital version with a 512GB SSD and not capable of 4K gaming BUT priced at $299, I think that Microsoft is getting SUPER aggressive. I had thought before that they'd hit a higher price due to costs, but maybe costs aren't as high as I thought, or MS ws able to pull some deals, or they're just simply more aggressive than I gave them credit for. I guess I was of the mindset that they'd let their Gamepass value proposition do all of the heavy lifting for them and just rest on their laurels where console hardware strategy was concerned, but this is sort of a huge move for them.

The ball's in Sony's court now. Their PS5 Digital Edition still boasts the fulls 10-12 TF of marketing power that their full console does, so the question is whether that's a problem because it means they can't hit as low a price point as MS, or whether that means that people would be willing to pay $100 more for the "real thing." (I'm now imagining a $399 PS5 Discless, and $499 flagship console versions from both platforms.)

I guess the ball's in Nintendo's court too now actually. A $299 Xbox Series S is right at the Switch console price point, so the comparisons are inevitable and despite their being different propositions entirely, it may still start to put pressure on Nintendo to come down in price. (Well, SOMETHING has gotta get Nintendo to drop their price, right?)

broodwars:

--- Quote from: Kairon on September 08, 2020, 02:29:39 PM ---With the news that the Xbox Series S will be an all-digital version with a 512GB SSD and not capable of 4K gaming BUT priced at $299, I think that Microsoft is getting SUPER aggressive. I had thought before that they'd hit a higher price due to costs, but maybe costs aren't as high as I thought, or MS ws able to pull some deals, or they're just simply more aggressive than I gave them credit for. I guess I was of the mindset that they'd let their Gamepass value proposition do all of the heavy lifting for them and just rest on their laurels where console hardware strategy was concerned, but this is sort of a huge move for them.

The ball's in Sony's court now. Their PS5 Digital Edition still boasts the fulls 10-12 TF of marketing power that their full console does, so the question is whether that's a problem because it means they can't hit as low a price point as MS, or whether that means that people would be willing to pay $100 more for the "real thing." (I'm now imagining a $399 PS5 Discless, and $499 flagship console versions from both platforms.)

I guess the ball's in Nintendo's court too now actually. A $299 Xbox Series S is right at the Switch console price point, so the comparisons are inevitable and despite their being different propositions entirely, it may still start to put pressure on Nintendo to come down in price. (Well, SOMETHING has gotta get Nintendo to drop their price, right?)

--- End quote ---

To me that, 512 GB SSD is a non-starter right there. My PS4 Pro has a 1 TB HDD, and I'm having to clear stuff out of it all the time because modern games have ridiculous install sizes of 60-200 GB. Microsoft doesn't have a good track record of having inexpensive alternative storage options, and their first party lineup is traditionally wretched.

I'm not hot on either of these new systems, but they need to provide 1 TB of storage out of the gate at the very least, but game sizes are not going to go down.

I'm also still not convinced that either of these consoles are going to "actually" launch in 2020. They're letting a handful of suckers willing to enter online lotteries have a chance to Beta-test the things in November, but these consoles aren't seriously releasing until 2021.

Luigi Dude:

--- Quote from: Kairon on September 08, 2020, 02:29:39 PM ---I guess the ball's in Nintendo's court too now actually. A $299 Xbox Series S is right at the Switch console price point, so the comparisons are inevitable and despite their being different propositions entirely, it may still start to put pressure on Nintendo to come down in price. (Well, SOMETHING has gotta get Nintendo to drop their price, right?)

--- End quote ---

The Switch is still a hybrid system with portability as a major selling point.  Plus the top selling games people are buying the Switch for are games like Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pokemon, Zelda.  Microsoft isn't doing anything to appeal to the audience of these games so it's not like Nintendo has to worry on that side either.

Bungle4:
Nobody has posted here since gen nine officially started.
Has anyone picked one up?
Are you planning to at a later date?
I am planning to get a PS5 when the Horizon Zero Dawn sequel comes out.

broodwars:

--- Quote from: Mr. Bungle on February 24, 2021, 04:39:04 PM ---Nobody has posted here since gen nine officially started.
Has anyone picked one up?
Are you planning to at a later date?
I am planning to get a PS5 when the Horizon Zero Dawn sequel comes out.

--- End quote ---

Funny you should ask...

I've been trying to hunt one down for the better part of the last 2 months, once they announced a release date for Resident Evil 8/Village (and we finally got a release date for Ratchet). I was perfectly happy playing backlogged PS4 stuff, but I at least wanted one by May so I had to start aggressively looking for it early. After many...many...MANY failed battles against the legions of Skynet, I finally managed to snag one last night in the batch GameStop put online. Ended up with a bundle I really didn't want (Console + extra controller + Miles Morales Ultimate + $20 GameStop Gift Card for $660), but beggars can't be choosers when companies are just letting scalpers run wild, I guess.

Not expecting it to arrive for a week or 2 (possibly later), though. I do own a copy of the PS5 version of The Pathless, though, that I'm looking forward to playing. Picked it up a month ago when it was on sale for half off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version