Gaming Forums > General Gaming

Games Industry Death Watch 2010-present

<< < (188/189) > >>

M.K.Ultra:

--- Quote from: broodwars on February 25, 2021, 06:19:36 PM ---I still want a PS4/PS5 version of Puppeteer, Sony.

--- End quote ---
Same here. Puppeteer is one of my favorite PS3 games. It looks gorgeous in stereoscopic 3D. I would love a PS4 version that works in PSVR, but that is very unlikely.

nickmitch:

--- Quote from: pokepal148 on February 03, 2021, 03:39:31 PM ---RIP Stadia studios.

--- End quote ---

Updates and insights on Stadia

Basically, the writer says that Stadia failed to follow the usual Google approach.

--- Quote ---But all the buildup had some developers within Stadia worried, according to people familiar with the matter. Their deadline to ship the platform in the fall of 2019 wouldn’t allow them to deliver what players expected, they said. They argued that Google should position the launch as another beta test. After all, Google’s most successful products had followed a similar approach. Gmail was officially in beta testing for five years, for example, as the company continued to tweak and refine it.
--- End quote ---

This may or may not come as a surprise.

--- Quote --- Stadia missed its targets for sales of controllers and monthly active users by hundreds of thousands, according to two people familiar with the matter, who asked not to be identified discussing private information. A Google spokesperson declined to comment for this story.
--- End quote ---

A really interesting tidbit to me is this part about how much Google spent on each port. (Emphasis added)

--- Quote ---His team wooed big-name publishers like Ubisoft and Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., shelling out tens of millions of dollars to get games like Red Dead Redemption II on Stadia, according to two people familiar with the deals. The amount of money Google was willing to spend came as a shock to veteran game developers, but even that wasn’t enough. Video game platforms live or die on exclusive content. So Harrison also brought in Jade Raymond, a veteran executive who has worked on Assassin’s Creed and Star Wars, to start building an in-house development division.
--- End quote ---

MASB:
The whole Stadia thing felt like the third-party developers knew it wouldn't amount to anything and were just trying to get as much of the grift as possible. Now that we know it was tens of millions per port, the third-parties must have felt like they met the prize sucker of the decade.

As for Japan Studio, it's sad. But Sony Santa Monica has made it known for quite some time that those  "Japs" and their games aren't wanted. It kind of feels like Sony's game development is run by all those hipster game journalists and indie devs (usually indie devs who haven't accomplished anything since) that were constantly crying about how Japanese game devs and design were out of touch a decade ago.

broodwars:
Continuing Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO's Jim Ryan's legacy of incompetence and disdain for Sony's heritage, Sony finally officially confirmed today the closure dates for the PS3, PSP, & Vita PSN Stores. This follows last year's removal of those systems from their redesigned-to-be-**** browser-based store.

The PS3 & PSP online stores will go offline on 7/2/21, and the Vita's store will go down on 8/27/21. This effectively permanently kills off the Vita (which was still seeing new indie games), as Sony shut down manufacturing of Vita game cards years ago so no new physical media can be produced.

The one good(ish) piece of news from all this is that owners of these consoles will still be able to redownload titles from their Download History, provided they're willing to scroll through the thousands of pages of entries they've accumulated by this point (I did that once. Never again).

I fucking despise Jim Ryan. I've never seen someone so dedicated to killing the PlayStation brand, from his censorship policies almost exclusively against Japanese games, to his on-record disdain for older games, to the closure of Sony Japan Studios, to his lack of interest in making anything other than games in the Naughty Dog mold.

https://www.ign.com/articles/playstation-store-shut-down-ps3-vita-psp

M.K.Ultra:
I really miss the wishlist in the store. I had a list of a dozen games I planned to get and they are gone. I can only remember half of them. I need to pick up a game or two on vita before it's too late.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version