Author Topic: Regional Grievances  (Read 1463 times)

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Regional Grievances
« on: October 06, 2012, 01:18:03 PM »

Time for one of my patented long-winded rant blogs.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/31879

By now the news has settled in. We knew it was coming, it was an inevitable truth and hoping against hope that it would turn out any differently was an act of futility.
We all now know that the Wii U will be region locked, for both physical games and eShop access. It's still a painful reality to come to terms with. 

Of course, I'm still getting a Wii U, I'm still going to adore it. I just wanted to throw down my two cents and point out some flaws with such an archaic practice. Because I like complaining.

Back in the days of the NES and SNES, the differences between PAL and NTSC meant the frame rate that the game would run in would simply be incompatible with the TV standard of the opposite country, it was understandable to lock them out of international consoles. These days, with HDMI cables pumping things through at 60Hz refresh rates, that argument really doesn't hold much water anymore.

I know the reasoning behind the region locking - different countries like to charge vastly different amounts for their multimedia. It's a topic I've brought up several times before and will probably do so many times in the future.

Here in Australia, it's not uncommon for a new game to retail for $99.95, with a much higher price tag if the game happens to contain two discs, or pack-in features, or come as a limited collectors' edition. It's what the consumers are used to, they don't kick up a fuss and they don't boycott the distributors, so the industry continues to go along with it.

Sadly Nintendo aren't entirely to blame, they're pressured into this status quo for competitive reasons. To think of it from a business point of view, if Nintendo Australia were to take a page from Reggie's value for money philosophy and, say, decide to retail the games for $59.95 each instead (the Australian dollar value has pretty much been close enough to 1:1 with USD for years now), consumers would compare Wii U games to the price of the competitors, and likely assume cheaper = inferior. On the other hand, were people able to simply hop on Amazon and buy the games from overseas for a considerable discount, none of the price-inflated local copies would sell. 

Still, would that be an entirely bad thing?
We are well and truly in the age of internet and global community. People are communicating over the internet, buying and trading things online and traveling overseas much more frequently. We're talking to people in other countries much more easily, exchanging ideas, friendships and gifts, the walls between nations are slowly but steadily crumbling. What about those who buy a console or handheld and then move overseas with them, or those kids with a cool uncle who sends his favourite nephew the latest new gadgets from across the ocean? Too bad, none of the games here will work? Granted these scenarios are still fairly uncommon, but far less so than they were 20 years ago. Region locking is a rather archaic practice these days. Nintendo occasionally drops a statement about the lock as part of an anti-piracy measure, but I just don't buy it.

Rival companies are beginning to see the light. While originally locked, many 360 games are now being released on discs that work regardless of the console they're put in, and the PS3 has been region free since it launched, neither of these consoles have much trouble staying ahead of the pirates.

Wouldn't it be cool if Nintendo were to implement a new global release scheme, where games come out on the same date around the world, and cost the same amount (in their respective currencies, of course)? Wouldn't it be nice to buy a Japanese Wii U, and be able to set the default language to English if you're more comfortable with it? Set a game's language to one that's used outside of the region it was bought it? PAL games usually come with an option to change between English, French, Spanish and Italian - surely the size of game discs allows for a few other languages as well.

Oh well. Maybe there's something about this whole scenario that I'm just not seeing. Or maybe not. Maybe next generation I'll be able to play the latest One Piece or Ouendan game without having to buy a second system.

Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Regional Grievances
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 02:07:59 PM »
There aren't any arguments Nintendo has that holds water, not a drop. It's nothing more than price gouging. If the WiiU was going to launch at the correct price that was in line with the exchange rate, it would be a day one purchase for me. At this point I am considering either importing or simply forgoing the system altogether in favor of upgrading the computer.

I am in no mood to feed the ridiculousness that is the 50% price hike in NZ or your near 100% hike over in Australia.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 01:49:21 AM »
Many Australians are beginning to just import from GB, you can get games for nearly half the price with free postage. The only way we would be screwed over if Nintendo introduces a Oceanic Region.

The problem I see in your idea of a 'global release scheme' is economical. Australia is firstly it costs more for companies to distribute their products across the country. Granted the US is a similar size but they have a much larger population thus companies distribution costs will be subsidized.

Added to this is that the average wage is higher in Australia than the US so companies can charge more in Australia. This was fine for the last 30+ years but as you said the internet and the development of communication systems mean consumers expect to pay the cheapest possible price for a product. It's not necessarily price gouging by companies, they might have to charge the prices they are. The costs of maintaining a store in Australia is probably higher than in the US due to electricity  internet and phone bills and paying employee wages. Nintendo and other companies bottom lines would be damaged if prices drastically decreased as they would have to cut the wholesale price of their goods. Face it, retailers won't accept a cut in their take. Some will say "Then why is the price of digital software still the same, there's no distribution costs." That's mainly due to Nintendo and other companies not wanting to undercut retailers. They still need somewhere to sell their consoles.

It isn't as clear cut as "Nintendo and retailers are price gouging" You'd have to gain access to the break down of the costs of distribution to see the real situation. Retail in Australia is slowly dying anyway due to the internet so retailers will have to change their strategies or they will slowly disappear. By no means am I defending the fact that goods cost more in Australia, the situation isn't as clear cut as some think.

Anyway, great blog post.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 02:05:26 AM »
For the longest time, I thought your avatar was a dragon face, but then I realized the horn was a beak and the dragon was a bird.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 12:15:59 PM »
There aren't any arguments Nintendo has that holds water, not a drop. It's nothing more than price gouging. If the WiiU was going to launch at the correct price that was in line with the exchange rate, it would be a day one purchase for me. At this point I am considering either importing or simply forgoing the system altogether in favor of upgrading the computer.

I am in no mood to feed the ridiculousness that is the 50% price hike in NZ or your near 100% hike over in Australia.
Do your reseae

A lot of people automatically assume they do it for pricing, and while I'm sure that's a big part of why they adhere to it as strictly as they do, its main purpose is actually for content control. Without regional locks, there's very little preventing retailers from stocking versions intended for other regions, which can cause a lot of headaches for the publishers when something innocent in one culture ends up in one where it's highly offensive.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 09:19:37 PM by Bman87301 »

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »
Region locking is a real inconvenience to people like us who actually do find importing useful, but I understand why publishers might think it's necessary. Often games are published at different times and by different companies in the different regions. Those publishers will probably want to make sure that consumers in a given region only purchase the version that they're marketing and distributing. It makes sense from a business perspective but it sure does suck ass for gamers.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 05:20:12 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »
It does give nintendo more accurate regional sales data at least,