Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3161475 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #7600 on: September 06, 2012, 01:45:06 AM »
Aztec swords just aren't the same... :'(

In some ways they are superior to metal swords. Against an opponent wearing armor they would probably shatter, but against raw flesh obsidian blades are better because they are much sharper than any metal blade could ever be. You can hack off limbs and decapitate your opponents with minimal effort. They also don't rust the way a typical iron/steel sword would.
is your sanity...

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Wave Race
« Reply #7601 on: September 06, 2012, 02:22:09 AM »
Nintendo renews it's Wave Race trade mark.
http://www.trademarkia.com/wave-race-74246565.html

Wave Race, Star Fox and  F-Zero. Three franchises that the Wii hardware probably would not have done justice, I think now they could make a come back.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #7602 on: September 06, 2012, 11:20:28 AM »
Wave racing on giant waves, please. Massive storms too.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: Wave Race
« Reply #7603 on: September 06, 2012, 11:27:06 AM »
Nintendo renews it's Wave Race trade mark.
http://www.trademarkia.com/wave-race-74246565.html

Wave Race, Star Fox and  F-Zero. Three franchises that the Wii hardware probably would not have done justice, I think now they could make a come back.

The Wii could definitely handle those games. They were all on the GameCube, so why couldn't the Wii (with its more powerful hardware) handle them?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #7604 on: September 06, 2012, 11:54:22 AM »
It's not that the Wii couldn't handle one of these titles it's that each of these are big graphical showcases and with the Wii there wasn't much farther to go from their GameCube iterations.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7605 on: September 06, 2012, 12:49:42 PM »
Going back to Zelda, a good way to incorporate the steampunk idea is to offer time travel in a way much grander than that in OoT.  If you could swap between the traditional fantasy setting and a steampunk setting set hundreds of years later then you can do it without really "betraying" the traditional Zelda style.

I think a problem Nintendo has is that they clearly don't play other companies' games and certainly not ones on non-Nintendo systems.  In a way that allows Nintendo to be creative since they can think out of the box more freely.  But it becomes a problem when new ideas are introduced to the industry and are so well accepted that Nintendo not being influenced by them makes their games seem archaic.  Zelda is supposed to be very ambitious and part of its appeal is that it tried to give us a world that felt more real than a standard videogame level.  During the N64 years Nintendo was at the cutting edge regarding this and OoT was probably the most impressive videogame world ever at the time.  But now games like GTA or Uncharted have introduced a lot of ideas that really make a videogame world feel alive and Nintendo is probably as ignorant of those games as you could get.  Skyward Sword isn't a generic game but it does not stand out as particularly ambitious (part of that is the archaic hardware it's on).  I still want Zelda to feel like Zelda but I think Nintendo has to do some research to figure out what would make Zelda a truly ambitious title in today's day and age.  The fact that they're six years behind the rest of the world because of the Wii makes it worse.

I want them to make Zelda with the goal of making the best game of all time.  But to do that they need to be aware of where the rest of the industry has gone so they can improve and top it.  It feels a little too much like they're just making a more polished version of what was ambitious on the N64.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7606 on: September 06, 2012, 01:51:06 PM »
Skyward Sword was Ambitious in several ways.  Jut not the normal ones.  Nintendo has to have played other games but, a lot of Nintendo is pretty old now so ...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Online Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7607 on: September 06, 2012, 02:52:31 PM »
The industry is in a terrible place, and Nintendo wasn't this past gen. They made games with legs that stand individual to each other on decent budgets. I mean, I want "the best game of all time" from them too, but I think that the alternative, which is "make a different game from the rest of the series" is even better.

Personally, I'd like a more ground Zelda title set closer to modern times. Spirit Tracks was sort of this way, but I'd like it if we had a huge Hyrule that you could traverse by train, foot, or horse. Let's say getting to certain areas by train wouldn't be possible until you rode out on horse and fixed the tracks in a distant region. I'd like to see a different origin for Link, too.

Dammit, now I'm daydreaming.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7608 on: September 06, 2012, 02:54:03 PM »
Going back to Zelda, a good way to incorporate the steampunk idea is to offer time travel in a way much grander than that in OoT.  If you could swap between the traditional fantasy setting and a steampunk setting set hundreds of years later then you can do it without really "betraying" the traditional Zelda style.

I think a problem Nintendo has is that they clearly don't play other companies' games and certainly not ones on non-Nintendo systems.  In a way that allows Nintendo to be creative since they can think out of the box more freely.  But it becomes a problem when new ideas are introduced to the industry and are so well accepted that Nintendo not being influenced by them makes their games seem archaic.  Zelda is supposed to be very ambitious and part of its appeal is that it tried to give us a world that felt more real than a standard videogame level.  During the N64 years Nintendo was at the cutting edge regarding this and OoT was probably the most impressive videogame world ever at the time.  But now games like GTA or Uncharted have introduced a lot of ideas that really make a videogame world feel alive and Nintendo is probably as ignorant of those games as you could get.  Skyward Sword isn't a generic game but it does not stand out as particularly ambitious (part of that is the archaic hardware it's on).  I still want Zelda to feel like Zelda but I think Nintendo has to do some research to figure out what would make Zelda a truly ambitious title in today's day and age.  The fact that they're six years behind the rest of the world because of the Wii makes it worse.

I want them to make Zelda with the goal of making the best game of all time.  But to do that they need to be aware of where the rest of the industry has gone so they can improve and top it.  It feels a little too much like they're just making a more polished version of what was ambitious on the N64.

Why does it matter what the rest of the industry has done, that doesn't have anything to do with Zelda games.  You mention GTA and Uncharted but those games play nothing like Zelda games so why should Nintendo care what they do?  The only Zelda style games that have been made in the last decade are Okami and Darksiders, and many would argue that neither series surpasses Zelda.

Once again, these post show why the Zelda fanbase on the internet is the worst fanbase period.  They pretty much want the series to become a clone of another series instead of actually being a Zelda game.  The games people mention Zelda should be more like are nothing like Zelda games, which makes comparisons pointless.  Who gives a **** would GTA, Uncharted, Skyrim, Assassins Creed and Demon Soul are doing.  None of these games have the balance of combat, puzzles, exploration in the way the Zelda series does which makes statements that Nintendo needs to make Zelda more like them completely pointless.

Plus Skyward Sword was the most ambitious Zelda since Ocarina of Time and has done more to change the series then a game can without turning the series into a completely different genre.  Skyward Sword completely changed up the overworld design, where they're all more like dungeons now instead of straight paths like the previous 3D Zelda's.  Even Majora's Mask which you like to mention was still a mostly straight paths for it's overworld.  The actual min-dungeons in that game that you like to mention were actual mini-dungeons locations that were seperate from the actual overworld. 

They completely changed up the combat system, where it's much more strategic now since you have to aim at the right area's of enemies now in order to defeat them and the enemies will block and change the area's you have to hit them at.  Even using the shield was changed up were you have to block at the exact moment an enemy attacks to block or deflect, or else your shield will get damaged and eventually break, leaving you defenseless.  Unlike previous 3D Zelda's where players can just block forever until they get the moment to stab.

They also changed up dungeon design as well where the dungeons have a lot more action and puzzles going on per room then the previous 3D dungeons, and they designed dungeons to make more use of all the items, unlike previous 3D Zelda's where the dungeons were based around almost entirely around the item you found in the dungeon.  Plus there's the Beetle item that opened up a whole new set of puzzles never seen before in the series since there had never been a flying item in the series before.

Seriously, to say Skyward Sword wasn't ambitious is completely false.  Just because it wasn't a clone of a different popular series on the PS3/360, doesn't mean it brought a lot of new things to the series.  Just because Link still wears green and swings a sword doesn't mean it's still the same game as Ocarina of Time.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:56:05 PM by Luigi Dude »
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #7609 on: September 06, 2012, 05:12:34 PM »
I never said I want Zelda to be a clone of other games.  But there are ideas and elements from other games that could be incorporated into Zelda.  I suggested some ideas from Xenoblade as concepts that would work well in Zelda but that's doesn't mean they should make it the same thing.  If Nintendo was more aware of well, ANYTHING, outside their little bubble, they could be inspired by other games.  Maybe see an idea that would fit Zelda well or an idea that they immediately think of a way to improve it.  Sandbox games like GTA have REALLY changed the idea of how a videogame world can be presented.  Same with the post-Morrowind Elder Scrolls games.  Nintendo could probably learn a lot from those.  I'm not saying to make Zelda in GTA or Skyrim, but these days Skyward Sword's world doesn't come across as epic or expansive.

One thing I noticed in SS is that I felt the story was (at least until Zelda got kidnapped) so much better than a typical Zelda game.  There was actually a sense of romance to Link and Zelda's relationship.  Of course this was like Playstation era RPG storytelling at best but still a big step up from Nintendo's usual.  So good for you, Nintendo.  You're now only 15 years behind the rest of the industry in storytelling instead of 20.  It comes across exactly like what it probably is - a very isolated company discovering storytelling techniques on their own and coming to the same conclusions someone else did 15 years ago.  Only the rest of the industry noticed when Square figured that stuff out back then.  Isn't this Nintendo's whole problem with online?  They're five years behind the rest of the industry and are slowing figuring this stuff out themselves.  Only that's fucking stupid.  How about they just do some research, figure out how the rest of the industry does things, catch up and then go forward from there?

Nintendo is going into HD for the first time.  So are we going to get cutting edge stuff or is Nintendo going to be cranking out games that feel like they're from 2006?  Look how long it took orchestral music to make it into Zelda games.  No way Nintendo actually paid any attention to what was being done back in like 1997 and decided to just wait until now to go with it.  They're in their bubble and they missed out on the CD thing and it took a long time for them to discover what was already discovered.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #7610 on: September 06, 2012, 06:45:32 PM »
Aztec swords just aren't the same... :'(

In some ways they are superior to metal swords. Against an opponent wearing armor they would probably shatter, but against raw flesh obsidian blades are better because they are much sharper than any metal blade could ever be. You can hack off limbs and decapitate your opponents with minimal effort. They also don't rust the way a typical iron/steel sword would.

They sound really ideal for an Eternal Darkness game...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #7611 on: September 10, 2012, 08:25:32 AM »
Bioshock Infinite for Wii U. Rumor or not? Because there's oddly no talk about it here at NWR.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7612 on: September 10, 2012, 09:14:17 AM »
Because the rumor is already dead...and it was misinterpreted information...there is no reason to talk about it.

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7613 on: September 10, 2012, 01:29:55 PM »
I never said I want Zelda to be a clone of other games.  But there are ideas and elements from other games that could be incorporated into Zelda.  I suggested some ideas from Xenoblade as concepts that would work well in Zelda but that's doesn't mean they should make it the same thing.  If Nintendo was more aware of well, ANYTHING, outside their little bubble, they could be inspired by other games.  Maybe see an idea that would fit Zelda well or an idea that they immediately think of a way to improve it.  Sandbox games like GTA have REALLY changed the idea of how a videogame world can be presented.  Same with the post-Morrowind Elder Scrolls games.  Nintendo could probably learn a lot from those.  I'm not saying to make Zelda in GTA or Skyrim, but these days Skyward Sword's world doesn't come across as epic or expansive.

One thing I noticed in SS is that I felt the story was (at least until Zelda got kidnapped) so much better than a typical Zelda game.  There was actually a sense of romance to Link and Zelda's relationship.  Of course this was like Playstation era RPG storytelling at best but still a big step up from Nintendo's usual.  So good for you, Nintendo.  You're now only 15 years behind the rest of the industry in storytelling instead of 20.  It comes across exactly like what it probably is - a very isolated company discovering storytelling techniques on their own and coming to the same conclusions someone else did 15 years ago.  Only the rest of the industry noticed when Square figured that stuff out back then.  Isn't this Nintendo's whole problem with online?  They're five years behind the rest of the industry and are slowing figuring this stuff out themselves.  Only that's fucking stupid.  How about they just do some research, figure out how the rest of the industry does things, catch up and then go forward from there?

Nintendo is going into HD for the first time.  So are we going to get cutting edge stuff or is Nintendo going to be cranking out games that feel like they're from 2006?  Look how long it took orchestral music to make it into Zelda games.  No way Nintendo actually paid any attention to what was being done back in like 1997 and decided to just wait until now to go with it.  They're in their bubble and they missed out on the CD thing and it took a long time for them to discover what was already discovered.

You really think they weren't aware of CD's? You don't remember the SNES CD addon that was being worked on? We all know the reasons why Nintendo stuck with cartridges over CD, and no it wasn't because 'Nintendo were stuck in a bubble". I love your whole rant about "Nintendo being behind the competition" I suppose that's why Sony and MS came out with motion controls after the Wiimote. Monolith created one of the best JRPGs of this generation but somehow they are still behind (And yes, Monolith is Nintendo). You really think Nintendo developers are locked in boxes and not aware of other games? Takahashi was quoted that he wants to make a game on the same scale as Skyrim.

I want to see these story masterpieces you talk about, how story telling in gaming has somehow made a quantum leap. Seems to me it's hardly changed besides character models having recognizable facial features. Besides, what RPG or JRPG has an amazing story that isn't cliched or been done before, there are some exceptions such as the Witcher but most seem to use the same tropes (WRPG heavily influenced by high fantasy) and JRPGs have many cliches. I frankly don't see how Nintendo are '20 years' behind in story telling. Also Zelda is hardly a RPG so I don't see why you are comparing them against them. Action Adventure games hardly need a compelling story, take Darksiders for an example. War in the first game is a pretty uninteresting character and the story on the whole is a standard 'character x is set up and attempts to clear his name, plot twist occurs towards the end'.

We can't judge the online yet, need to see what the Wii U's online infrastructure is like. But the Wii's online was dreadful and obviously wasn't a priority for Nintendo. The 3DS has decent online so they are improving in that regard.

If your claims about Nintendo were true they would have died years ago.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7614 on: September 10, 2012, 05:51:41 PM »
Oh god, is this thread still overrun with Zelda speculation/pipe-dreaming?!  Separate thread, I say!
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7615 on: September 11, 2012, 02:35:11 AM »
recent zelda games had shadow of the colossus and ico stuff
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7616 on: September 11, 2012, 10:26:06 AM »
Don't know if this has yet to be posted but there's a rumour on Neogaf that certain third parties are trying to convince Nintendo to not pack in Nintendoland with the Wii U as it may take steam away from their own mini game compilations.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7617 on: September 11, 2012, 01:18:59 PM »
Don't know if this has yet to be posted but there's a rumour on Neogaf that certain third parties are trying to convince Nintendo to not pack in Nintendoland with the Wii U as it may take steam away from their own mini game compilations.
This actually makes sense.  So it may just be one person's good idea and other people believing it is a rumor from 3rd parties.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #7618 on: September 11, 2012, 01:32:47 PM »
Makes sense though I think nintendoland will do better as a pack in.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7619 on: September 11, 2012, 02:15:20 PM »
Oh come on. Nobody complained when Nintendo packed in games with the NES, Game Boy, and Super NES. Games sell systems, and it's Nintendo's responsibility to sell their systems.

If Nintendo thinks a pack-in will help sell the Wii U, then that's their prerogative.

I'm honestly sick of "feeling sorry" for 3rd-parties. Nintendo shouldn't have to cater to their demands, they have their own problems to worry about.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7620 on: September 11, 2012, 02:46:28 PM »
You know this reminds me of when Microsoft bowed to the Security companies with Windows.  Vista on where going to be way more locked down and they got such a huge stink from Antivirus companies that they had to loosen the security.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
Rumored Wii U Specs.
« Reply #7621 on: September 11, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »
http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-wii-u-final-specs/

CPU:
“Espresso” CPU on the Wii U has three enhanced Broadway cores

GPU:
“GPU7” AMD Radeon™-based High Definition GPU. Unique API = GX2, which supports Shader Model 4.0 (DirectX 10.1 and OpenGL 3.3 equivalent functionality)

Memory:
Mem1 = 32MB Mem2 = 1GB (that applications can use)

Storage:
Internal 8 GB with support for SD Cards (SD Cards up to 2GB/ SDHC Cards up to 32GB) and External USB Connected Hard Drives

Networking:
802.11 b/g/n Wifi

Video Output:
Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i

Video Cables Supported:
Compatible cables include HDMI, Wii D-Terminal, Wii Component Video, Wii RGB, Wii S-Video Stereo AV and Wii AV.

USB:
Four USB 2.0 Ports

I know not what these things mean, but man do I want an ethernet port. Are there usb converters for such things?

If these things are real I expect melt downs like the other websites. Still what does this really tell us? Can't wait to see how far the other systems take their hardware. Despite knowing nothing about specs I'm still convinced the gap this generation from Wii to PS360 will be impossible to replicate, in the graphics department that is.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 02:58:37 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #7622 on: September 11, 2012, 02:59:18 PM »
Sounds in line with my some of my personal speculation that was less hype-affected. Internal storage from those rumored specs seems low for my tastes, however.

I know not what these things mean, but man do I want an ethernet port. Are there usb converters for such things?

Yes. Or at least, there were for the Wii.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #7623 on: September 11, 2012, 02:59:39 PM »
So...how many Hollywoods go into a Broadway? And is an Espresso better or weaker than a Macchiatto?

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #7624 on: September 11, 2012, 03:25:06 PM »
I'd actually prefer if Nintendo's pack-in hurt the sales of other mini-game comps.  We all know Nintendo's will be good and everyone else's will be ****.  Mini-game shovelware is what gave the Wii its casual image.  I don't want such titles to succeed.  It would be far better if things start off with shovelware selling poorly so as to discourage devs from making it.