Author Topic: Top 10 retro, or retro inspired games for the Switch?  (Read 3945 times)

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
Top 10 retro, or retro inspired games for the Switch?
« on: April 10, 2018, 01:43:36 PM »
Rule one, no ROMS, but ports, remakes or homages are acceptable. Please list your top five, or ten, or 20 if there are that many, retro, retro themed or retro inspired games available for purchase right now or coming soon to the Switch.

Please no ROMS, like arcade archives but collections of roms or collections of games, like Mega Man, are okay.

All I have right now is Shovel Knight for retro-inspired, Wonderboy and Blastermaster for actual retro-ish. I like both games but am looking for more. Once I get moved I will be ready to start buying Switch games again. I already have Kirby and Mario Odyssey on my to get list but would like some good, smaller retro type games in the meantime.

Thanks.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 retro, or retro inspired games for the Switch?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 02:54:53 PM »
Question - by retro, are you referring to games largely within the span of 8-bit/16-bit?  Or anything prior to a certain year?

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 04:27:57 PM »
Owlboy is amazing although it's retroness is mostly in the aesthetic

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 10:09:54 PM »
Oh man, here's plenty of retro-style games.

Sonic Mania is a very intentional love-letter to the Mega Drive/Genesis Sonic games, but unlike those games Sonic Mania is actually a really good game.

Axiom Verge is a well-crafted Metroidvania in a 16-bit style. The art-style is a bit too drab for my liking, but I did have a good time with the game overall.

Stardew Valley owes a lot to the early Harvest Moon games, both in art-style and gameplay. Though, Stardew expands on the Harvest Moon formula exponentially, and I suppose adds a lot of elements from the HM spin-off Rune Factory series, like crafting and combat.

Thimbleweed Park is another very clear throwback by Ron Gilbert to the old LucasArts click'n'point adventure games like Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion. It has been described as a "spiritual successor" of sorts. I haven't played a lot of Thimbleweed just yet, but I'm excited to dive in further as I'm a massive SCUMM-boy.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 08:37:52 AM »
Off the top of my head, ones that haven't been mentioned:

Blaster Master Zero - I have not played it, but from what I've heard it's a pretty faithful remake of the original game.

Tumbleseed - Not necessarily retro in that it has ever been a video game, but there is an OLD arcade game called "Ice Cold Beer" that the gameplay is based off of.

FAST RMX - Not quite 8-bit/16-bit retro, but it harkens back similary to games like the N64/Gamecube F-Zero Games

Bomberman R - Konami has done a good job fixing a lot of the launch issues with this game, and I'd now say it's a fairly good version of Bomberman.  That said, my experience lately is that the online is dead, you'll be waiting minutes for at least 2 people to join a game.  For a discount, if you're looking for a local multiplayer option, I could recommend this game.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 07:41:19 PM »
Retro inspired stuff:
Octopath Traveler: seems to be a sort of 32-bit rpg with modern tweaks.
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse: pixelarty Castlevania inspired game, lighter tone and dumb cheesecake.
Undertale: takes cues from Earthbound, looks deliberately retro.
Shakedown Hawaii: think top-down GTA, Hotline Miami.
SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy: it's an SNK fighter.
Asdivine Hearts: clearly aims for a SNES/GBA style RPG feel.
Xeodrifter: Metroidy but a bit more action oriented.
Yooka-Laylee: aims for Rare's N64 era of 3D platformers. Much more polished visuals.
Aqua Moto Racing Utopia: modern take on the Wave Race franchise.
Stick it to the Man: invokes point & click adventures of yore.

If you wanna delve into remasters and the like: Crash Bandicoot remaster is an obvious one, as is The World Ends With You, Okami HD, Toki Tori is basically a reskinned Game Boy classic.

Old franchises resurrected but in distinctly modern skins: DOOM, Wolfenstein 2, Ys VIII, Super Bomberman R, Lode Runner Legacy.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 09:08:42 PM »
I tend to avoid anything that attempts to use "retro" as a descriptor. Games are informed by past releases, their genre should speak enough towards the nature of their title. Games that attempt to evoke the feeling of a particular series can be equally as disappointing.

If you are looking for old-school arcade style experiences, I recommend the aptly-named arcade archives series.
Many of the previously mentioned titles are derivative of classic series. That being said, there are several games that are direct homages to other series, so if you are looking for a top-down Zelda-like, Blossom Tales or Oceanhorn are great substitutes. Mega Man style arcade platformers can be found in Shovel Knight or Azure Striker Gunvolt, although the latter's gameplay is very hit-or-miss. There are Metroid-likes, Adventure games, etc. Like lolmonade, I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for, Steph, so if you could be a bit more specific, I'd appreciate it.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 09:13:19 PM »
They've been on several other systems before Switch so you may have already played them, but Cave Story and VVVVVV are both great retro-inspired games.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 10:05:45 PM »
Oh god, even with my pessimism I cannot deny I love both of those games.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 07:49:38 PM »
I wasn't trying to define it at all, I wanted everyone to just share their favorites so I had something to go on.
As much as I talked about disliking the Wii, deep down I loved it as a retro console.

I am also not a fan of purposfully making a new game look pixelated just to play on peoples emotions but if the gameplay is good and its more than just a play on nostalgia I am okay.

I do have Blaster Master Zero already and Shovel Knight Treasure trove. I am not sure what I am looking for right now, Steam has been good to me lately.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 11:47:31 AM »
I just checked and there is a collection of retro games coming from the Sega Ages brand in the summer worldwide to the Switch that might peek your interests.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline riskman64

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 11:12:33 AM »
Blossom Tales is a great Zelda-inspired action/adventure game. It is very reminiscent of ALTTP or LA. I highly recommend it!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 12:45:20 PM »
Blossom Tales is a great Zelda-inspired action/adventure game. It is very reminiscent of ALTTP or LA. I highly recommend it!
Blossom Tale looks great and I’m looking forward to playing it. I’m waiting for a sale. I had to pull the trigger on Kamiko or I’d lose some MyNintendo coins then it went on sale like two weeks later. #cryemoji

I second Axiom Verge and Cave Story. Both are very, very good. I don’t know if I’ll replay them because I’m neck deep in my backlog, but I still highly recommend everyone play them.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 06:48:32 PM »
It's looking like Nintendo will remain the kings of retro for this generation then. Lots of cool recommendations.