Author Topic: Mafia 70: The Wafather Sign-Up Thread  (Read 18480 times)

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Mafia 70: The Wafather Sign-Up Thread
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016, 07:02:08 PM »
Fine I'll tell you what it is, the person with the best avatar gets to change my personal title to whatever they want for a month.
Made you look ****.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 07:21:58 PM »
Sure Im in.  4 deaths a night.  Wow.
3 if the doctor plays the game well, 5 if nabbit steals an killer ability, so in general it will be a quick game, buy they'll be an after game fight for the prize! And Walapeacho might be deleted if there's not enough players.
Made you look ****.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 07:29:21 PM »
Added a new role to balance the townie side.
Made you look ****.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 01:55:17 AM »
I'll play too.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 09:59:11 PM »
In since someone needs to kill khush

8 people did that last game. We need players that will help Khushrenada live instead.  :'(

We still won.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2016, 09:56:34 PM »
I'm in! Almost forgot to sign up.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2016, 11:11:31 PM »

8 people did that last game. We need players that will help Khushrenada live instead.  :'(

We still won.

Who's this we? You also died. 75% of the players who voted for me died.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2016, 12:03:33 AM »

We still won.

I can't help it. Ever since Holiday mafia I have been unable to trust you.

I'll play since the game seems broken enough to hide my screw-ups.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2016, 12:04:30 AM »
But I was innocent that game! Spak-Spang played me brilliantly. It was one of my worst defeats ever and I tip my hat to him for it.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2016, 12:09:36 AM »
I didn't like how you always went for the boozer role, plus I intercepted a PM you meant to send to Stratos where you bragged about getting me in an alliance. So I pretty much fought against you the whole time until you convinced me to vote for someone (stevey?) who turned out innocent.

I suspected Toru from the start and could see Spak running things but I didn't act on any of it when I had the chance.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2016, 11:13:37 AM »

We still won.

So you only win if you survive?

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2016, 10:23:15 PM »
No-idea actually, suppose that's up for you too decide, also invite all your friends!
Made you look ****.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2016, 10:52:42 PM »

We still won.

So you only win if you survive?

For the townies, traditionally yes. If Mafia wins, even dead members get the win. That's why it's great to be Mafia. However, we have had some exceptions to that rule in past games so there are a couple where that doesn't quite apply. In this game, when writing up the winners in the Hall of Fame, it would just be those that survived like oohhboy and Mop it up and TOPHATANT123 that would be listed as the winners. You and I would not be on the list.

That's the sucky thing about townies and why a lot of players don't want to stick their neck out for fear of getting whacked early and part of the psychology behind the game of Mafia. It's also why I will target players who are laying low. I don't want them to succeed off the work of others just by surviving and not contributing although there may be times where that can be kind of funny like stevey almost winning it for the Mafia in game 68 despite not logging on for the entire game or Kirby Killer Dedede who technically won Mafia 2 despite being absent the whole game with the final players all killing each other in the night leaving him the only player still standing.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2016, 11:26:36 PM »
I didn't like how you always went for the boozer role, plus I intercepted a PM you meant to send to Stratos where you bragged about getting me in an alliance. So I pretty much fought against you the whole time until you convinced me to vote for someone (stevey?) who turned out innocent.

I suspected Toru from the start and could see Spak running things but I didn't act on any of it when I had the chance.

As for Silenced, I'm not sure how you can intercept a PM. I can't recall what the message you read may be. I could try checking through my PMs to see if I can find something of what it may have been but that was almost 3 years ago. Although why you would be upset about someone bragging about having an alliance with you is weird. You'd think you'd be proud that people want to ally and work with you and feel proud at being so revered by the other players that they can't wait to tell others when you deign to allow them to have an alliance with you. ;) I know during my heydays of Mafia games, I'd try and lot of things and that included sending out misinformation in private messages as tests to try and figure things out or see what might happen from it. Maybe it was me doing something like that or maybe it wasn't.

I do know stuff like that has probably made me permanently suspicious with a lot of players just like you. At this point, I don't try to dispel that too much. I've grown to accept and like it and feel it adds to the fun. Players are going to be watching me every game and I have no desire to tip my hand too much as to whether I'm innocent or not. I'd rather be a wildcard and have fun with the paranoia. I have been trying to make a greater effort to hold back and not take over the game though like in the past. Players have accused me of drowning out other voices and dictating the game making it the Khushrenada Show and I've definitely been guilty of that. It's worried me that it could lead to people being disinterested in playing and I know I'm not going to be right about everything so I try to contain myself from doing that too much and keep from smothering the game. 

It's why I didn't sweat being voted out. In past games, I'd have fought tooth and nail to survive a vote. I never ever would want to go out by vote. This game, I posted my take on things and if it happened that I was saved, then it would happen but it would be up to the other players without my campaigning. I was busy anyways and I'm glad I was able to leave the game behind. Too often, I'd be on here sending and receiving all kinds of messages and the game would become my whole evenings for as long as I survived which is kind of exhausting. It's still a balance and Day 1, I was definitely in the game full force but I also hadn't played in almost a year so that may have had something to do with it.

In the end, I like you Silenced. You're a regular member of both Mafia and Safe Words. You also help in hosting games. You're a solid member of this interactive part of the community. If I offended you from that one Mafia game, I'm sorry about that. I always figured when you or I were sort of sniping at each other like in Safe Words or Day 1 of the last Mafia game, it was more of an Insanlord type thing in which we are just playing up personalities and forum reputations but maybe you were and have been more serious than I thought when making your comments. I have nothing against you which is why I've tried to work with you if I thought it was beneficial in any game. Even if I'll always be suspicious in your eyes, I would like to note that, even with stevey, him and I have been able to work together in games before and had success despite having a long and storied rivalry/history so I'm hopeful that could be the same with you. I'm always willing to work with players even when they are trying to eliminate me from the game or just aren't willing to trust me.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2016, 11:41:44 PM »
Most of my frustrations with this game have nothing to do with you (I have no problem with you, by the way).

My issue is you could sum up my whole resume with "I knew about ___ but did nothing about it."

Consider this past game. I suspected Tofu and could have put pressure on him. Lucario voted for you and it struck me. I made the mistake of thinking he knew something and voted you out on a gamble. After Stogi played everyone last game I was suspicious of him trying to manipulate me, so when I heard you two were conversing together I developed some sort of conspiracy theory that you two were mafia. Of course that completely backfired and I lost energy to play, which killed Stogi. I could've rallied back and just accepted my mistake but I didn't. Possibly could've wrapped the game up faster rather than giving mafia free kills.

That Holiday mafia game, I suspected Spak and Glad0s, but I didn't do anything about it. Jurassic Park, knew thatguy was fishy but I was content to just waste my chances.

The holiday game in particular was just a natural clash between two people that post a lot. I try to be active in these games as much as I can, and in a game that rewarded that, I didn't like it when one person was getting their hands on it. I didn't trust that. The PM you sent sounded more like you bragged about playing me easily; you said you meant to send it to Stratos but by then I really couldn't trust you.

I've only won games on very bad performances. The first game I won all I did was annoy everyone about killing dasmos and I contributed little else and got played by apdude like a fiddle (though in my defense he's pretty damn good). I won MLP mafia after getting a lucky kill on the godfather and doing nothing else since. As much as I complain about always being town, I am shitty as mafia. I've been scum three times I think? Animal Crossing mafia I just gave up and I won the Doctor Who one on some bullshit game mechanic (to be expected in a pokepal game).

Most of the time I just think your sort of celebrity status here breeds distrust, and I'm never able to shrug it off. In retrospect, you were totally a town member last game and I should have seen that, but I let an overactive imagination lead to a bad choice. Whenever I'm down I can never get back up. It's upsetting sometimes.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2016, 12:43:06 AM »
Eh, overactive imaginations and jumping to conclusions are what Mafia games are all about and why I decided to throw out my last vote against oohhboy. Mistakes happen and I've led votes and eliminated players totally innocent but in my mind, I thought I'd figured that person all out. It happens. You just have to learn to not let that hold you back or ruin you and I've been fortunate to rebound from that in quite a few games and then get things on track and successful. Afterwards, I always want to make it up to a player I was wrong about so it's helped that I've been able to overcome a lot of vendettas I should probably have coming my way by doing what I can to make up those mistakes. I've taken a long view of the game and know I can't win them all so I at least want to make sure my reputation with all the players is positive enough to at least give me chances to win some and not have that hold me back because of hurt feelings or too many betrayals.

It took me a long time to get my footing in Mafia also. I was trying to find solutions and test ideas to hopefully keep from getting eliminated or have people work with me but I went through a period of wheel spinning and not getting much traction in being not wanting to trust me and overcoming that obstacle. It was when Thatguy arrived on the scene that changed things. Him and I clicked real well in being able to discuss and break down the game. We had different styles of play but they worked very well together and having a player that was on my side and willing to work with me really helped change some of the perspective about me at the time and we were able to dominate the game for quite a long time. It's part of why I stayed such a fan of this site and this game. Over time, he joined up with PixlBit and his free time here started to dry up as he helped get that site moving and providing it with content. I've tried to find a replacement partner but nothing's ever worked as well as him although Spak-Spang has probably been the closest (sorry other players who I've worked with) but his schedule keeps him hit and miss also. That's why I've been a bit more forgiving of Thatguy when messing around with Pokepal's Mafia games because I do consider him a good friend and having him around for a game in any capacity reminds of those halcyon days and I'm happy to see him around.

Enough reminiscing. My point was and is this. I went through a long period of learning in this game also. I viewed every game as something to learn from and slowly figured out what worked good and what didn't. Eventually, I found a voice that worked for me and I finally started playing games that I was proud of the way I played even if I lost. The other big thing was partnering up with someone. Stratos and Mop it up remind me of another famous pair of players that seemed to work well together and they've both become good players for a long time because of that. Having someone you can check in and try to work with each game is a big help. There are times where you may be on the opposite sides and playing one another but that can be a lot of fun of the game right there. So, don't give up if you haven't liked some of your previous efforts and try being open to allying or partnering with players in games. That can also make a difference.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2016, 01:12:15 AM »
Eventually I just need to learn to follow things through and see where they go. Every time I suspect one person but do nothing about it.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2016, 07:15:43 AM »
HOLY WA BOYS!
That's a lot of reading!
Made you look ****.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2016, 12:46:33 PM »
I'll join, but only if you stick with the 30th as the date. It's good to have some breaks between games.

As for the conversation up there, one thing I'd suggest is to not take the game seriously and remember that it's just a game. Try to have fun with things and just go with the flow. Take myself and a few others last game as an example, I had some fun with the theme in my posts like pretending the game crashed, though I was still participating and voting when I needed to. And while I still attempt to win when I can, I don't care if I do, I'm in it for the experience so I try to make things entertaining if the opportunity presents itself.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2016, 09:06:24 PM »
I try to chill as much as I can but it doesn't always work.

I've looked at other sites for mafia games, but they take it very seriously and don't have any fun themes/inventive roles. And everyone who plays has no personality.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2016, 09:28:40 PM »
I adopted a more half-my-foot-out-the-door style lately with mafia, as I my schedule doesn't permit the laser focused concentration needed to play at Khush levels.

I remember there was a crazy mafia game with role swapping (Khush's first hosted game?) and it was pretty wild.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2016, 09:35:10 PM »
On another forum, I was did a self-vote sacrifice move to bait people.

I ended up getting the Serial Killer and two mafia to vote for me eagerly and pretty much revealed them as scum.

Town killed the SK then did nothing else productive the rest of the game.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2016, 11:10:07 PM »
Silenced:

There's not suppose to be any hard feelings in Mafia. This is just for the fun of it. And while being tricky or being tricked can either feel good or bad, this isn't "The Genius." There's no money on the line and no one besides us players care. So just take a light-hearted attitude and try new strategies. Read between the lines and make some allies. Make a mistake and fight your way back from it. Bottom line, have fun playing the game.

Khush:

Having only the people who survive win makes no sense. It's asking for townies to collude with the mafia or trick fellow townies. Plus the doctor, if allowed to protect himself, is basically assured a win if townies win, which is unfair for everyone else. But worst of all, you can't self-sacrifice; drawing heat to your yourself to protect players with roles.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2016, 03:03:24 PM »
I've looked at other sites for mafia games, but they take it very seriously and don't have any fun themes/inventive roles. And everyone who plays has no personality.
No offense, but this sounds boring.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2016, 03:08:14 PM »
It IS boring. That's why I play mafia in communities rather than places designated for mafia. They don't have much fun.

Plus they can be really unforgiving towards new players.