Author Topic: Episode 506: 4k Force Feedback  (Read 3207 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 506: 4k Force Feedback
« on: January 22, 2017, 07:32:06 AM »

Force Feedback won't really be "Next Gen" until Senran Kagura says so.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/44029/episode-506-4k-force-feedback

One week removed from Nintendo's Switch presentation, and a day after the Fire Emblem Nintendo Direct, we've had some time to process all the new info. As with any time following a major Nintendo announcement, our inbox was flooded with questions and hot takes. Let it be known that RFN is a firm believer in Podcasts as a Service; with this in mind, we decided to focus exclusively on whittling away at this email backlog. While we didn't get through everything, we cover: what franchise should get the Warriors treatment (oops) which launched us into the Fire Emblem Direct, future Switch shapes, region-free gaming, its truly weird companion app, and its price.

When I say email powers the show, this is what I mean! Look at all the planning this saved...just line up the emails and go. You too can save James a ton of time by sending in questions and thoughts to our mailbag.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 506: 4k Force Feedback
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 07:47:36 PM »
I am with Lindy 100% when it comes to online and voice chat. That is all.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline daverhodus

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 02:03:50 AM »
Wii Remotes have always been $39.99

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 02:36:39 AM »
On Kingdom Hearts non-sense:

Will Switch eShop available on mobile?
eShop has been available on mobile for a few years now. You can browse and buy games from phone's web-browser.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:50:42 AM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline wcmullins

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 11:41:54 AM »
Yea they don't want anyone to actually use the service. It's basically Wii speak on your iphone speaker phone.

I went from being super optimistic thinking Nintendo was going to learn from their mistakes doing like sony did when they first announced the PS4 to them not have learned anything. It does worry me they put a lot of effort into the joycons. The system could have been cheaper and still had detachable controllers.

Either way I still preordered the damn thing

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 02:24:40 PM »
So...paint me as an eternal pessimist on how Nintendo has handled online functionality/integration.

That said, the only rationale I can think of as to why they've proceeded the way they have with the mobile app is:

1) This is an admission that they have no clue internally how to integrate it within the console itself, and farmed it off to DeNA as a way to offshore it to a company that more capably knows how to do it in ANY capacity while limiting the need to employ a dedicated internal staff to manage this.
2) Perhaps this is a way for them to future-proof themselves from having to "reinvent" their online service for every console and handheld they produce moving forward?  I have limited knowledge in this facet, but my assumption is that it might be easier to update an app on the app store through phone iterations than having to ensure integration for each handheld or console you come out with, maybe also reduces system updates needing to be pushed out to the console itself? 

This is just pondering on my end.  Still think it's a garbage implementation until they actually go through the trouble of making the case to consumers as to WHY this is the best way to implement it. 

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 10:55:38 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1gdHOBL1ck I feel like this video needs to be posted here to temper expectations of Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows over Valencia. Fire Emblem Gaiden is a pretty sweet deal, but... keep in mind, this is a weird late Famicom thing.

If you require a TL;DW, lemme give some quick bullet points here.

• There's no shopping in the original Fire Emblem Gaiden. the "Towns" tended to be single building or two building affairs. This means no vulneraries or elixers or torches or other consumables to keep track of either.
  • the dungeon crawling more often than not were often more the equivalent of a small cave in a zelda games; a couple of rooms at best, maybe a treasure chest or something, and mostly wide open maps when battling monsters, and thus no terrain bonuses.
  • This was a game made well before systems were added to the series like Weapon Triangle, Trading Items between units, Skills, rescue/pair up, Support, a laid out battle forecast, or even visible movement range for ally or enemy units. these are the most likely things to get smoothed over in this 're-imagining' more than anything.
  • Because durability isn't a thing in this game, the way they balanced staff  users and mages is that spells cost HP to cast. that being said, the nosferatu spell is available early on and even priests can get in on the health absorbing fun.
  • There's really weird and annoying quirks about the game, such as taking damage when you should be taking 0. this actually makes Armor Knights kinda bad when they can't just sit there and no-sell enemy myrmidons and cavalry all day.
  • There's quite a few "WTF do I do?" moments  because the game, while linear on the overall, is still a Famicom JRPG. this is also something likely to get smoothed over.
Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited for this title. I'm on the side of the fence that thinks Gaiden is a waaaaaaaaaaay better game than Shadow Dragon or Mystery of the Emblem. (Daan says the Mystery of the Emblem remake is pretty darned good, but unfortunately that got left on the wayside from translation because both of those remakes looked like butt and apparently didn't sell well. gee, I wonder why.) I feel like Intelligent Systems has a tough balancing act on their hands to update a game in this series that's this divisive. It really is apt that people think of this as the Adventure of Link of Fire Emblem, as at the time it gutted things like Weapon Durability and the scarcity of EXP and purists of the franchise felt that not having that balance of resource management and replacing it with the most shallow and tepid dungeon crawling only serves to harm of the series' intricate balances.

In a post fire emblem fates world, where we've brought back the cut to Weapon Durability, the EXP fountain of repeatable battles, and turned this into a video game about buying mountains of DLC and touching your sibling's face with incestuous undertones, Newer fans may be willing to embrace a heavily modified version of this game, just like people are ready to embrace a right handed Link who has a jump button traveling a land of bullshit difficulty spikes.

of course, that all depends of how much of the old famicom games shows through the new paint job, in my eyes.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:02:14 AM by ClexYoshi »

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 08:40:31 PM »
I believe the person who wrote the "3 different versions of Switch" message is missing the mark a bit.  If Nintendo follows up their initial hardware with an update later, it really should incorporate the flexibility of the platform rather than just offer the single format a person is looking for (despite how convenient that sounds).  I instead see Nintendo upgrading the existing system piece-by-piece. 

If they need to update the Joycons, it's as easy as releasing the new version a couple years later.  If they need to enhance the performance, the external processing patent may suggest a dock with that wireless capability down the line.  Again, new Joycons could allow for this same feature on-the-go.  They can even replace the main tablet portion when it's just not worth supporting anymore, which could be seen as "the new console launch."  And the best part?  Instead of making the consumers buy a whole new system repeatedly, they would only have to pay the $90 or so that the new part would cost.  Meanwhile, all existing starter bundles would have all the latest components and still retail for the same price, as theoretically the earlier Switch would be lower in cost following the necessary amount of sales (which Wii U never achieved).  It would be easy for both new and old customers to stay current.  This pattern could go on until Nintendo needs a completely new structure.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 03:43:35 PM »
Can't wait for Koei-Tecmo's newest project, Advance Warriors!