Author Topic: PS5 aka Playstation 5 aka Sony Next Gen  (Read 6513 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: PS5 aka Playstation 5 aka Sony Next Gen
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2019, 03:37:08 PM »
I still have a hard time telling the difference between 720 and 1080 at times unless I'm looking at a side by side comparison.  4k has always felt ridiculously unneeded to me and 8k is literally stupid as hell.  Seriously, even in a side by side comparison I see no differences between 4k and 8k.

I mean seriously, when does it end?  Are we going to 32k next, 100k after that, 1 million Super Saiyen Ultra Instinct Kaioken x 200 after that?  This is literally turning into DBZ power levels where every fight is just the same damn thing despite the character being million of times stronger then they once were.  There was a clear different in power levels between the end of OG Dragonball and early Z, but after Frieza it's all been the same **** over and over again.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2019, 05:47:36 PM »
History of video quality in the eyes of Ian Sane:

Black & white
Colour
DVD quality (whoa, turns out our VHS tapes look like crap!)
HD

With each of these I noticed a clear improvement in the video signal but anything beyond that is "ehhh... I guess so?"

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2019, 10:02:22 PM »
I can definitely tell the difference between 1080p and 4K. It’s nice, just not, you know, buy-an-entirely-new-TV-right-now nice.
Nintendo is cleaning up with a hybrid and Sony wants to tie you down to a television?
That’s fair, and I see what you’re getting at, but I also see Sony’s perspective. It couldn’t beat Nintendo at handhelds; it probably doesn’t think it can beat Nintendo at a hybrid. Nintendo spent nearly 30 years preparing for the eventuality of Switch.

Sony is gunning for the only space it knows how to win, and weirdly, it’s still a risky play. If Nintendo releases a Switch successor that can consistently do 1080p/60fps or even 900p/60fps in handheld mode with minimal drops, Sony could be in danger. Handheld mode is important to a lot of people. For many, Switch is already “good enough.”

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2019, 03:12:33 PM »
Thinking about it some more what really matters with new generations is the games.  The Wii's hardware inadequacies became apparent when it was the best selling console, and thus in theory a potential goldmine for third parties, and it got virtually no ports because the specs couldn't handle games made for the PC/PS3/360.  At the same time the PS3 was initially selling like crap but it could handle the ports so it got them and that probably played a part in its sales eventually becoming respectable.

So the PS5's need to exist will ultimately depend on what developers do with it.  If they aim for the lowest common denominator in the Switch then it will not really come across as a necessary system but if devs make games for it that make use of its extra hardware and those games catch on and cannot be ported to the Switch then the PS5 will probably sell quite well and justify its existence.  In the past beefier hardware was usually an incentive for some devs to give it a go but the costs of developing games like that has skyrocketed so it remains to be seen if enough third parties are willing to take the risk.  Sony would probably do best if some first party titles ended up being system sellers to start the ball rolling.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2019, 06:19:56 PM »
I wonder how good a TV could be if they upscaled the 3d on a 3ds on a curved screen at 8k.

Maybe tv people will push that next.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post