Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1572278 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2011, 02:52:54 PM »
But if people don't like it then it has brand repulsion. Broodwars doesn't like the name, I don't like the name, I'm sure Ian isn't going to like the name, etc. For every person who likes it there's going to be someone who hates it.

I don't know if brand repulsion is a real concern.  The thing with marketing is that it's kind of a trick.  It appeals to the ignorant.  Anyone who knows anything about videogames is unaffected by marketing because they keep themselves informed regarding videogames.  Those that thought the Wii was a stupid name also are those that were iffy about motion control, knew the third party support sucked and knew that the Wii was a glorified refurbed Gamecube.  Those people would never not buy a videogame system because of the name because they know enough about videogames to base their purchases on something more substancial.  But the name did not cause any problems with the masses that the marketing was aimed at in the first place.

Yeah I think Wii U is the stupidest videogame system name ever.  BUT would I not buy a videogame system because the name is stupid?  The games are what matter to me.  Nintendo was never going to win me back with a great name or turn me off further with a stupid one.

Is the Wii name actually damaged goods now or is it only damaged goods with core gamers that know enough about videogames that if the stupidly named Wii U had games they wanted on it, they would buy it?  What matters is if "Wii" is a damaged brand name with people that find out about a videogame when they see a commercial for it.  I think "Wii" is still a decent brand name now but after a good year of jack **** being released for it, it might not be.  But that's Nintendo digging their own grave.

Clearly it would be foolish to throw away the casual market they got with the Wii so it made sense to keep some connection to it.  They could have found something better but if "Wii" didn't turn you off, "Wii U" won't.

What will make or break this thing is if they can get core gamers to switch to it with some exclusives (ie: first party) and/or recapture the magic with the Wii Sports crowd that bought like two games for the Wii and nothing else.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2011, 02:53:07 PM »
The fact is that Wii's success has been staggering, and the brand does mean something.

I don't know if you've noticed, but Wii sales have petered out the last few years. Many people bought the console early on and were disappointed in it and now in many homes its just sitting around collecting dust with a blue flashing light which people ignore because they just don't care anymore.

The Wii has a brand name, but its a bad name. The reputation of it has been ruined by shitty casual games and nothing else. The people who bought Wii for Wii sports don't buy other games, and they may just be content with that and not even bother with this new console.

So Nintendo needs to appeal to us because we are the ones who buy games. Casuals do not buy games, and they may not even buy the new system since they already a Wii anyway. So our opinion matters. It actually matters a lot, in fact. Because look how the 360 and PS3 are kicking the Wii's ass in sales as of late. This is what happens when you turn your back on core gamers and cater to a fickle market.

Wii has market appeal to casual gamers. The thing that is hurting Wii at the moment is the lack of games, and over saturation. I'm sorry but maybe you didn't realize that the Wii has a market share that Sony nor MS can even dream of surpassing this generation. Individuals like yourself, Brood and Ian complain constantly, that isn't representative of even the more "hardcore" market. So you may not like it but Wii has a positive image still amongst casual gamers, not to mention it has a large market share. Nintendo would be stupid to jettison the name.

This whole issue is proof positive why Nintendo needs to do their own thing, people whine and complain about Wii's lack of power and little 3rd party support. So we get a system that is able to handle, may even surpass, graphics of 360/PS3 which aren't going anywhere soon with a lot of multiplatform support, and yet people still find something to whine about. Nintendo cannot win with some people. Wii U is an answer to all the complaints about the Wii but, like expected, the usual suspects are still pissy. Once again proving my point they can't jettison the casual market or the Wii brand, and rely on finicky Nintendo "fans" to carry it totally. Heck no one here has even tried the controller and say it sucks and will be uncomfortable despite what other source4s are saying
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:59:11 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
New Super Mario Mii (Wuu)
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2011, 02:59:59 PM »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2011, 03:01:48 PM »
You can't say that the Wii has a bad brand name just because the system isn't selling like it used to. The name still appeals to casual gamers, it's just that at the moment, a lot of the big casual titles (MJ:the Experience, Just Dance) seem to have better versions on Kinect. But that's just mindshare. Nintendo can easily overcome this. Plus, using WiiMotes on Wii U lowers the cost to entry and lets casuals who don't normally own a console not feel as cheated for having to buy a new one.

Side Note: NSMBMii was the least exciting announcement. I felt NSMB ran its course, and I honestly had trouble finding people to play NSMBWii with and actually enjoying it. Playing with my Mii just doesn't add anything for me. I'll probably still just use Mario.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:03:58 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2011, 03:04:46 PM »
You can't say that the Wii has a bad brand name just because the system isn't selling like it used to. The name still appeals to casual gamers, it's just that at the moment, a lot of the big casual titles (MJ:the Experience, Just Dance) seem to have better versions on Kinect. But that's just mindshare. Nintendo can easily overcome this. Plus, using WiiMotes on Wii U lowers the cost to entry and lets casuals who don't normally own a console not feel as cheated for having to buy a new one.

Not to get off topic, but I find it funny that MS nor Sony have really matched Wii Sports Resort. Yeah Kinect Sports is fun, but it still is no Wii Sports Resort, if only when it comes to the variety.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2011, 03:14:44 PM »
NSMB works as "hey it's 2D Mario again!" and fails HUGE as a multiplayer game.  The Wii game got worse the more players you added.  It was like the level design was never intended for multiple players and they just shoehorned it in at the last minute.  It's one of the absolute best Wii games... if you play it in the opposite way that Nintendo intended.  But I'm NSMB'ed out for the time being.  One thing that pissed off impatient fans but was a really good idea is that Nintendo used to space out their sequels so each one mattered.  They were so quick pumping out Mario platformers last gen that Super Mario 3DS is like "meh" to me.  I would get it if I had a 3DS but wouldn't buy a 3DS for it.

If NSMBMii is a new Wii U game why the hell does it look like a Gamecube game?  Hey, Nintendo, don't you have brand new specs for this thing?  Don't you thus have somewhat of a obligation to USE THEM?  Sorry but Gamecube quality graphics don't cut it anymore.  They didn't release SNES games that looked like NES games.  There were no B&W games on the GBA.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2011, 03:15:34 PM »
The fact is that Wii's success has been staggering, and the brand does mean something.

I don't know if you've noticed, but Wii sales have petered out the last few years. Many people bought the console early on and were disappointed in it and now in many homes its just sitting around collecting dust with a blue flashing light which people ignore because they just don't care anymore.

The Wii has a brand name, but its a bad name. The reputation of it has been ruined by shitty casual games and nothing else. The people who bought Wii for Wii sports don't buy other games, and they may just be content with that and not even bother with this new console.

So Nintendo needs to appeal to us because we are the ones who buy games. Casuals do not buy games, and they may not even buy the new system since they already a Wii anyway. So our opinion matters. It actually matters a lot, in fact. Because look how the 360 and PS3 are kicking the Wii's ass in sales as of late. This is what happens when you turn your back on core gamers and cater to a fickle market.

Wii has market appeal to casual gamers. The thing that is hurting Wii at the moment is the lack of games, and over saturation. I'm sorry but maybe you didn't realize that the Wii has a market share that Sony nor MS can even dream of surpassing this generation. Individuals like yourself, Brood and Ian complain constantly, that isn't representative of even the more "hardcore" market. So you may not like it but Wii has a positive image still amongst casual gamers, not to mention it has a large market share. Nintendo would be stupid to jettison the name.

This whole issue is proof positive why Nintendo needs to do their own thing, people whine and complain about Wii's lack of power and little 3rd party support. So we get a system that is able to handle, may even surpass, graphics of 360/PS3 which aren't going anywhere soon with a lot of multiplatform support, and yet people still find something to whine about. Nintendo cannot win with some people. Wii U is an answer to all the complaints about the Wii but, like expected, the usual suspects are still pissy. Once again proving my point they can't jettison the casual market or the Wii brand, and rely on finicky Nintendo "fans" to carry it totally. Heck no one here has even tried the controller and say it sucks and will be uncomfortable despite what other source4s are saying

What do you think comes to mind when a hardcore gamer hears the name "Wii"? The brand name is ruined and should be jettisoned because people associate the Wii with words like "underpowered", "casual", "no games", "no third party support", "kiddie", etc. So naming the console "Wii-U" implies it is an extension and continuation of that philosophy which left a bad taste in the mouths of many gamers.

Broodwars, Ian, and Myself all own both PS3s and Wiis I believe, but guess which one of these were probably playing the most these days. That is the problem Nintendo needs to address. I can't speak for them, but I bought the Wii just a few months after it launched, but I only got the PS3 recently. I was never planning on getting a PS3 at all, but I was burned by the lack of games on the Wii and it all being aimed at casuals.

So you're saying my opinion doesn't matter? I've been a Nintendo fan since I was 7 and that was the only console I ever considered getting each generation until the Wii when Nintendo turned their backs on me. I wasn't the one that changed, they were. So like I said, I can't speak for everyone else, but in my own personal experience the Wii may have have appealed to Casual gamers, but it repulsed me away. So whatever new fickle customers Nintendo is gaining they are gaining at the expense of lifelong fans who they've betrayed.

The new "Wii-U" name is a slap in the face, and puts them on thin ice with me because it shows they are still holding to that same philosophy. Now don't get me wrong, the new console looks like its going to be a powerful beast, and its great to see third parties seem to be on board, but why is Nintendo using the name "Wii-U" if the console is going to be so different than its predecessor? The leap is like from a caveman spear to a space shuttle. We don't name our space shuttles "caveman spear-u" do we? So do you see what I'm saying?
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2011, 03:19:52 PM »
Never change Ian. ;)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2011, 03:21:38 PM »
Wii U looks hot, the Koi pond changed my life. articles are saying the bird demo was shown to them in real time where they could move the camera based on the Wiipad waggle.

Only thing that makes me nervous is the use of sliderpads instead of analog sticks

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2011, 03:22:01 PM »
If NSMBMii is a new Wii U game why the hell does it look like a Gamecube game?  Hey, Nintendo, don't you have brand new specs for this thing?  Don't you thus have somewhat of a obligation to USE THEM?  Sorry but Gamecube quality graphics don't cut it anymore.  They didn't release SNES games that looked like NES games.  There were no B&W games on the GBA.
You're mistaking art style and graphics. The edges are pretty smooth in NSMBM so they're using the bumped up specs. It looks exactly how it's supposed to look. So you don't like the art style in the New Super Mario Bros. series. Hey, neither do I.

Miis really have no place in a Mario game, especially when Peach, Daisy, AND Wario are probably still absent.
Only thing that makes me nervous is the use of sliderpads instead of analog sticks
Same here. I don't hate the slide pad. I just prefer analog sticks. The controller isn't final so you never know. I wish L/R were more like they were on Gamecube with the digital click. I thought that was a cool innovation.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:24:05 PM by Adrock »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2011, 03:24:51 PM »
Yeah, New Super Mario Brothers Mii definitely looked smoother and slightly more detailed than NSMBWii. It's just that the art style is already a bland and glossy one to begin with, so even with increased specs it doesn't look very good. I prefer the more cartoony look of Mario, I actually think cel-shading would work better for the Mario series than Zelda.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2011, 03:35:36 PM »

What do you think comes to mind when a hardcore gamer hears the name "Wii"? The brand name is ruined and should be jettisoned because people associate the Wii with words like "underpowered", "casual", "no games", "no third party support", "kiddie", etc. So naming the console "Wii-U" implies it is an extension and continuation of that philosophy which left a bad taste in the mouths of many gamers.

Broodwars, Ian, and Myself all own both PS3s and Wiis I believe, but guess which one of these were probably playing the most these days. That is the problem Nintendo needs to address. I can't speak for them, but I bought the Wii just a few months after it launched, but I only got the PS3 recently. I was never planning on getting a PS3 at all, but I was burned by the lack of games on the Wii and it all being aimed at casuals.

So you're saying my opinion doesn't matter? I've been a Nintendo fan since I was 7 and that was the only console I ever considered getting each generation until the Wii when Nintendo turned their backs on me. I wasn't the one that changed, they were. So like I said, I can't speak for everyone else, but in my own personal experience the Wii may have have appealed to Casual gamers, but it repulsed me away. So whatever new fickle customers Nintendo is gaining they are gaining at the expense of lifelong fans who they've betrayed.

The new "Wii-U" name is a slap in the face, and puts them on thin ice with me because it shows they are still holding to that same philosophy. Now don't get me wrong, the new console looks like its going to be a powerful beast, and its great to see third parties seem to be on board, but why is Nintendo using the name "Wii-U" if the console is going to be so different than its predecessor? The leap is like from a caveman spear to a space shuttle. We don't name our space shuttles "caveman spear-u" do we? So do you see what I'm saying?

To a core gamer, we can look past the name. The name is a marketing ploy that is (or should be) irrelevant to any of us. And the WiiU WON'T be radically different from the Wii. They used the same controllers for crying out loud. The empahsis is only on us for 3rd parties. Nintendo still wants to appeal to casuals and that's what they're gonna do.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2011, 03:35:57 PM »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2011, 03:37:41 PM »
Same here. I don't hate the slide pad. I just prefer analog sticks. The controller isn't final so you never know. I wish L/R were more like they were on Gamecube with the digital click. I thought that was a cool innovation.

I too had wished for the return of the digital click. That was probably the best part of the GC controller.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2011, 03:38:07 PM »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2011, 03:40:23 PM »
I thought Regi said that Mario Mii was not a game. I am certain it was just a tech demo along with everything else, all tech demos except the confirmed 3rd party games.

Ian, you know your getting all the 1st party goodness, you know it's going to look and play great with this new tablet, and now you know some really good 3rd party games are coming, what could be the problem? You think you don't want this new controller or system but because you didn't see your precious HD Pikmin 3 you just get mad at everything else.  Seriously you know Nintendo's games are on the way, they specifically chose to highlight the 3rd party games so people like you would get excited. Did you hear that applause when the games were actually shown?  That was for you!
Besides didn't you give up on wii a hundred years ago, only to periodically emerge to spread anger and disappointment?

I know I asked for your input and I got it, but I see that many fans of anything are just unreasonable children who want a cup that can never be filled. I'm excited because I haven't played games like that in a loooong time. And I did not see Dixie Kong or Ridley, but I know it's out there and its on its way.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline bofabses

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2011, 03:41:04 PM »

This article states the circular pads feel more like a wii nunchuck analog stick rather than the sliders used on the 3ds

It also talks about a Japanese streets demo. Did I miss this somewhere?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2011, 03:42:21 PM »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2011, 03:44:16 PM »
hawtness

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2011, 03:48:40 PM »
Looks too much like a mini XBox 360. I hope it's just a mock-up and the actual unit will be different. And also gets a reset button.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2011, 03:49:18 PM »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2011, 03:52:33 PM »
I will say this much... the controller layout has a beautiful symmetry to it. But, symmetry and ergonomics are two different things, and ergonomics should come first.
is your sanity...

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2011, 03:53:34 PM »
that edge on the back looks awkward but as said before, its really hard to say until you hold the thing for your self. Can't wait to see in-store demos
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2011, 03:56:45 PM »
"Besides didn't you give up on wii a hundred years ago, only to periodically emerge to spread anger and disappointment? "

Sounds like a great preface to a novel.

Chozo: Impressions are positive regarding the ergonomics and weight.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
IBM Wuutson Inside
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2011, 04:01:07 PM »
Big News about the CPU
Watson CPU tech in Wuu.... IBM Wuutson Inside
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/ibm-puts-watsons-brains-in-nintendo-wii-u/
Nintendo's new console, the Wii U, was finally unveiled to the world today at E3 2011, and we got a glimpse of its graphical prowess at the company's keynote. Details were scarce about the IBM silicon Nintendo's new HD powerhouse was packing, but we did some digging to get a little more info. IBM tells us that within the Wii U there's a 45nm custom chip with "a lot" of embedded DRAM. It's a silicon on insulator design and packs the same processor technology found in Watson, the supercomputer that bested a couple of meatbags on Jeopardy awhile back.

We will soon be playing with Power!!!!