Gaming Forums > General Gaming

PlayStation Classic launching in December 2018 for $100

<< < (2/25) > >>

Ian Sane:
This is a copycat idea but it's such an obviously GOOD copycat idea that I can't fault Sony for doing it.  The PS1 is like the NES equivalent for people ten years younger than me so it will probably hit the same nostalgic beats, just for different people than Nintendo's offerings.

One thing that is a little bit of a problem for Sony is that the PlayStation really is defined by third party games.  The NES and SNES kind of were as well but Nintendo themselves had such strong first party titles that even if they didn't get third party games on their classic systems, they could still have made a pretty desirable product.  When people think NES they'll think Mario, Zelda, Punch-Out, Metroid as much as Mega Man or Castlevania.  That's not the case with the PS1.  They'll think Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Tekken well before first party titles like... um... Crash Bandicoot I guess.  Because of that third party focus this is probably going to have an imbalance of first party titles that were not as iconic and less third party titles that were.  I feel the NES and SNES Classic lineups are really close to being the ideal dream lineup for the system but I doubt this will get there as there will be too many companies that would need to be involved.  Gran Turismo is probably the only first party title that really feels like it MUST be there and it probably won't be due to rights issues with the cars.

I may get this but only if the quality is on par with Nintendo's systems.  Sega has had Genesis systems for years but they apparently suck so I've had no interest in getting one.  Nintendo has set the bar very high and I expect Sony to match it.  Since the price point is pretty high (Atari and Genesis consoles are quite cheap) I'm thinking Sony is aiming to match Nintendo.

Poor Microsoft can't get in on this action that well.  The Xbox doesn't quite seem retro enough and even if they went for it it's clearly the ONLY product they could release (Xbox 360 Classic? lol).  Of course now that this is coming out the N64 Classic seems like a mandatory product - though it's going to be hurt by the lack of Rare.

Adrock:
I’m not confident nostalgia for Sony is anywhere near as strong as Nintendo and even Sega. The people who grew up with PlayStation as their first console probably still play video games. They may have already downloaded these games ages ago. Are they the type to double dip on a nostalgia machine? Do they have any reason to with the games tied to their PSN account? Sony has even been using the same basic controller for two decades.

After collectors get their hands on PlayStation Classic, I don’t know who this is for. With NES and SNES Classic Editions, Nintendo infamously produced so few units at first because it specifically targeted lapsed players who stopped gaming after those consoles and right before PlayStation, grossly underestimating how eager its own fans were willing to buy Super Mario Bros. for the 473619th time.

Just today, Sega announced it’s delaying the Mega Drive Mini to essentially overhaul the whole thing. AtGames is no longer handling it; an unnamed Japanese developer is (possibly M2 who worked on Sega Ages). Good call. Like Ian alluded to, AtGames’ officially licensed Sega Genesis Flashback was not good. Hopefully, Sega will get it right this time.

ejamer:

--- Quote from: Ian Sane on September 19, 2018, 12:24:51 PM ---...  I feel the NES and SNES Classic lineups are really close to being the ideal dream lineup for the system but I doubt this will get there as there will be too many companies that would need to be involved.  ...

--- End quote ---

One other thing that (to me) might be problematic for creating an "ideal lineup" is that PlayStation had such a varied lineup, not everyone will remember the same games fondly. To some, it was a sports console. To others, an RPG machine. And for others, neither of those genres mattered at all...

That wouldn't prevent them from picking 20 absolutely awesome games though, if licencing isn't an issue.

Here's hoping for Future Cop LAPD and Klonoa!

--- Quote from: Adrock on September 19, 2018, 01:22:49 PM ---...
Just today, Sega announced it’s delaying the Mega Drive Mini to essentially overhaul the whole thing. AtGames is no longer handling it; an unnamed Japanese developer is (possibly M2 who worked on Sega Ages). Good call. Like Ian alluded to, AtGames’ officially licensed Sega Genesis Flashback was not good. Hopefully, Sega will get it right this time.

--- End quote ---

Awesome news - I'm more interested in this, personally, as I don't have easy and convenient access to old Genesis classics the same way that I do to PSOne Classics. Not sure if I'd buy one, but would strongly consider it.

Ian Sane:
Great to hear that Sega's overhauling their version.  In a way one could look at these mini-consoles as an unofficial "series" of products from multiple companies.  If Sony or Sega can release products that can stand next to Nintendo's then there will be people that want a complete collection of "Classics".

One issue with this though is that a lot of iconic PS1 games have an 'M' rating.  MGS, Twisted Metal and the Resident Evil series are ones that immediately come to mind.  It seems wrong to be missing those but I see the obvious benefit of a product that's more family friendly.  This wasn't an issue with the NES/SNES Classics because the ESRB didn't exist for most of their existence and the only titles that would bump things to an 'M' would be the Mortal Kombat games.  The Genesis benefits from that as well.

As for what titles I would want to see on this I would like a good balance between really popular games and well regarded games that are expensive and rare to buy used copies of.  One thing that really made the SNES Classic worth it was that it had expensive games like Earthbound in it.  If games like Suikoden II or Klonoa are included then the value of this goes up significantly.

ejamer:

--- Quote from: Ian Sane on September 19, 2018, 01:59:41 PM ---...  If games like Suikoden II or Klonoa are included then the value of this goes up significantly.

--- End quote ---

Although it's worth mentioning that both of those games are available as cheap digital downloads via PSN.

I wonder if there will be any exclusive games that didn't seen normal release, like Star Fox 2. Who could say no to a localized version of LSD: Dream Emulator?  (Seriously, with just 20 games and such a huge library, it's hard to say what might be included. Will there be underappreciated gems, or mostly well-known mainstream games? I'd wager the latter for nostalgia purposes...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version