Gaming Forums > General Gaming

PlayStation Classic launching in December 2018 for $100

(1/25) > >>

broodwars:
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/18/introducing-playstation-classic-with-20-pre-loaded-games/

So, this is a thing. $100. 20 games, including FF7, Wild ARMS, Jumping Flash, Tekken 3, & Ridge Racer Type 4.

The thing will be $100 in the US, $130 in Canada. It will include 2 NON-Dualshock controllers, and it will NOT come with an AC Adaptor, apparently learning from Nintendo not including one in the 3DS XL.

Personally, I can't say I'm interested. Most of the PS1 lineup doesn't hold up, especially if we're not getting Dualshock-era games. Not including the AC adaptor is just stupid. I wish they'd have just skipped to the PS2 Classic , what people actually want. At least with Sony doing this, you'll probably be able to actually find them.

lolmonade:
I won't be getting one of these, that said, I assume it'll also sell fairly well to the people who grew up on these games like those who grew up on NES/SNES flocked to those mini consoles. 

I've determined the real appeal of the NES/SNES classics to me were less the games (especially given how easy it is to mod it to add more), and more the controllers.  For some reason, I'm a lot more particular about playing NES/SNES/Sega Genesis games than I think I am for PS1 games and beyond.

Order.RSS:
No dualshock is weird, although most games are perfectly playable without them. Guess Ape Escape is out though.

Wonder what other games they'll add.
You'd kinda expect to at least need Resident Evil 1 or 2, Metal Gear Solid, one of the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games, Tony Hawk 2, Gran Turismo, Oddworld, PaRappa, and Tomb Raider right? Maybe WipEout, Driver, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, a Syphon Filter title, Rayman, and another big name RPG too. The PS1 library is so vast, selection will definitely skip over several major classics.

Does "pre-loaded" imply it'll be possible to load/purchase further games for it somehow, or not?

Adrock:
I’m tempted because I think the classic consoles are cool. Snagging an NES Classic made me feel comfortable postponing signing up for Nintendo Switch Online until December. However, like the Neo Geo Mini, I don’t have the same attachment to the OG PlayStation as Nintendo’s legacy consoles. That generation was a weird transition too. Many of those games don’t hold up. And Switch is getting Final Fantasy VII so if I really want to scratch that itch, I can wait until next year.

It’s bizarre that Sony didn’t announce the entire lineup.

ejamer:
Quick impressions, some already mentioned by others:
* odd to not see the actual games listed, and the five they did list didn't really excite; this could be an issue with Sony consoles, because first-party development is (IMO) much less important that third-party support, which can create licensing headaches
* original PS controllers are possibly my least favorite of all controllers; don't like how they feel generally and really don't like the d-pad replacement, so their inclusion here is a bit of a disappointment
* functionally, I'm struggling to see value because I already own a PSTV (aka: super tiny, HDMI-compatible mini-console that gives access to many great PSOne Classic titles from PSN at very low cost)

But toss those concerns aside, and it's still pretty awesome to see. Others who have more nostalgia for the PlayStation era will likely be stoked by this news. Hopefully Sony does a great job with the quality - I fully expect them to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version