Author Topic: End of an era?  (Read 5650 times)

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
End of an era?
« on: December 05, 2016, 05:23:36 PM »
If the Switch is the merging of the two platform, mobile and home console, this could be the end of an era. But is it a bad thing? When Nintendo was at their best, NES/Famicom, they had basically 1 product they threw all of their resources behind. The world has changed, times have changed, video games have changed. At the time Arcades were not just a thing, they were they place to play all the current, new, exciting games. Those days are long gone.

So with the Switch merging the two markets into one, when does it become time to merge this forum into the console forum? Or would this remain as a legacy forum to remind people of a bygone era? I guess, to be fair, Nintendo used to make arcade machines too but we don't have a dedicated Nintendo Arcade forum so... just food for thought.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: End of an era?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 05:53:01 PM »
I don't think I'd agree that Nintendo was at their best in the NES/Famicom era. Their creative peak is arguable, though most would say it's later than that, and their sales/popularity peak was unquestionably the Wii and DS era. I also think they intend to ride out the 3DS a bit longer alongside the Switch, possibly until it's feasible to release a Switch model in a truly portable form factor, so I'm not sure the era's ending anytime soon, but this certainly does open the door to a major shift in the way Nintendo does business.

As for the forum structure, I have considered what the best way to handle this move would be, but haven't come up with a great solution. People here have said they'd like a simpler layout for the forums, with fewer sections, and this would seem to be a good opportunity to institute a major shift like that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 05:54:35 PM »
I guess I meant as a company they were at their best in the 80's meaning they owned the market. I wasn't talking sales or quality.But yeah it was hyperbole at any rate.

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 05:42:04 AM »
You could also argue that they owned the market in the mid-to-late 2000's when the Wii and DS were king.

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 10:47:01 AM »
But that's not true. In the 80's they had 90 percent market share, during that period they had 50 percent of the market. Their sales grew but so did the market.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 04:35:15 PM »
I think Miyamoto does indeed think it is the end of an era.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 07:52:40 PM »
Honestly, Nintendo would be smart to figure out a way to combine both markets (like they are doing with the switch.)

People are carrying a gaming device with them everywhere they go now, and we all know that dedicated handheld consoles are infinitely more engaging and better than smart phones, however carrying 2 devices are not that practical.  But then you say what about parents and children, well an ipod touch has all the same games and plays music, and movies...there just isn't much of a need for handheld gaming devices anymore. 

However, if you can evolve the market some how.  Capture the gamers that want a dedicated gaming experience for travel and give them a reasonable console experience as well, that is truly a worthwhile product and endeavor.  So end of an era... yes and no.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 05:57:58 AM »
You could always stick the handhelds and console discussion down the bottom of the forums front page and label them "legacy" and move the current active threads into "Switch". Should Nintendo bring back distinct machines again you can elevate them.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?