Author Topic: Nikkei Says Larger 3DS Redesign Potentially Coming This Summer  (Read 6561 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile

UPDATE: Nintendo responds, says report is based on speculation.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30431

UPDATE: Nintendo responded to Nikkei's report, saying that it contained a number of errors and was based on speculation. The company then said people should pay attention to their pre-E3 and E3 events for their official announcements.

I guess we will find out if Nikkei was right very soon. The original article follows:

The 3DS will likely get a redesign, according to reliable Japanese newspaper Nikkei.

The new system, possibly coming out as early as this summer across all regions, will have a 4.3-inch screen, which is 1.5 times larger than the current model. The announcement of the new design is expected to come from Satoru Iwata at Nintendo's E3 press conference tomorrow.

Nikkei has previously accurately reported on both the 3DS and the Wii U before their official reveals. While we'll likely have to wait until tomorrow for an official confirmation, it's looking like a 3DS redesign is imminent.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Adrianwii

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Miiverse - AndrewIdaho
Re: Larger 3DS Redesign Potentially Coming This Summer
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
Way too early for redesign. I don't think the rumor is true. Maybe 2013 they will release it but this year is the Wii U's year.
Nintendo Gamer since 2002
Favorite Games: Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Maker, Splatoon, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario 64, Mario Party 10

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 02:22:31 PM »
If it's an "XL" that doesn't count as a redesign in my book, but another hardware model that coexists with it.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 02:29:49 PM »
Sweet. BIGGER PIXELS!

(Sorry. I had to.)
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »
Nice, now I can finally buy a 3DS.

Way too early for redesign. I don't think the rumor is true. Maybe 2013 they will release it but this year is the Wii U's year.

In Japan the original DS was released on December 2nd 2004 and the DS Lite was released on March 2nd 2006.  There was exactly only 15 months between the two.  The 3DS was first released in Japan on February 26 2011 so the 3DS has already gone on longer then the original DS did before the DS Lite came out.

So the 3DS getting a redesign now isn't too early at all because it's following a similar timeline with the original DS when it came to when the first redesign came out.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 02:44:44 PM »
it might be possible that the larger screen is also to accomodate for the extra circlepad? Larger screen = larger chasis = more room for the extra circlepad

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 02:45:56 PM »
I would love a smaller form factor 3DS. Maybe leave the touch screen as is but shrink the top screen to be the same width as the touch screen with a beautifully small DPI.

I know I'm in the minority though.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 02:50:15 PM »
Sweet. BIGGER PIXELS!

(Sorry. I had to.)

Nintendo's approach to this stuff reminds me of how old people reacted to widescreen TVs when they were first introduced.  "Well I don't want the black bars.  Make it fill up the screen."  "But, Dad, (because this was always who we had this conversation with), the original show was not in this ratio so it will stretch and look weird."  "But it's cutting off the sides with these black bars.  I want to see the whole thing."  "You already CAN see the whole thing!  This is it!"

"Well the screen is bigger."  "But the resolution doesn't change so the image will just look blockier."  "..... but the screen is bigger."

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 02:52:09 PM »
I would love a smaller form factor 3DS. Maybe leave the touch screen as is but shrink the top screen to be the same width as the touch screen with a beautifully small DPI.

The GBA Micro was a thing of beauty. I wish I owned one.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 03:05:05 PM »
This is something I would definitely get eventually but I'm more than happy with my 3DS now and I just bought the Circle Pad Pro. With Wii U coming out this year, I don't have the funds to buy another 3DS. I expect to be wowed tomorrow. Really, all they have to show is Mario, Zelda, and/or Metroid and Nintendo can just take my money. I'm not hard to please. I love new hardware.

Offline Tora

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 03:25:25 PM »
Wouldn't this potentially ruin the display?  Don't get me wrong, I think the screen being bigger is great, but with out the sharpness of the display and pixels being larger, the resolution would be considerably worse, thus making the 3D effect, together with the resolution less effective.  Considering that the default resolution can't be change, it's built into the game card.  If this is legit, Nintendo should still keep the smaller one on the market for people who want to pay less and have better picture res.

With it being 0.5 times larger, the pixels would be 0.5 times larger.  Making the display significantly worse.  That is the equivalent of making a 1080p video 720p.   Not a huge flaw, but I think I'll be buying the smaller one when I get money.  Not to mention this is FAR to early for redesign, It hasn't even been a year and a half. 

From my knowledge the 3DS doesn't even have a flaw significant enough to warrant a redesign (Aside from the battery.)

Offline Tennindo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 03:41:13 PM »
Nintendo is know for this. it took 2 years to get the DSlite, and another 2 years for DSi and a year for the XL. if you count the Game boy remakes then thats also about 2 years. So chances are we will see a new remake by spring next year, but they can show it off this years at E3 and possibly release it by this fall/winter. This will also give Nintendo a reason to jump the 3DS price up to $200 or more. As rumors have been saying about a 3DS price jump back to $250.

Offline TheBigK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 03:47:33 PM »
Yes! I've been waiting for an announcement like this. My hands are big and get cramped easily while playing for extended sessions, which is something I never experienced with the DSi XL. I hope this rumor turns out to be true!
Nintendo Network ID: TheBigK

Add me!

Offline Adrianwii

• View Profile
    • Miiverse - AndrewIdaho
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 03:59:11 PM »
I most likely won't buy this since I am saving money on Wii U and its games. Plus, I am happy with my current 3Ds. The 3DS just needs more games. But I still wished they would wait until Spring 2013 to release the redesign. 
Nintendo Gamer since 2002
Favorite Games: Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Maker, Splatoon, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario 64, Mario Party 10

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 04:29:58 PM »
Sweet. BIGGER PIXELS!

(Sorry. I had to.)
Makes playing GB and DS games at 1:1 pixels much more feasible, no?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 04:43:07 PM »
I stuck with my DS Phat for 6 years. I may be a Nintendo fanboy, but I'm just not that excited about these sorts of things.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 05:07:05 PM »
A bigger screen is nice, but what we really want this revision to have is the dual analog pads.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 05:15:59 PM »
Here are thing that I want from the next 3DS system:

• Better LCD screens.
  • Better bottom touch screen.
  • More internal memory (4GBs)
  • Doubled RAM and other specifications.
  • SDXC support.
  • Volume and 3D slider buttons in the form of "+" and "-".
  • Stylus holder on the right side of the system.
  • Matte finish to replace the glossy surface of the system.
  • Improved cameras.
  • Better buttons.
  • Textured d-pad like the NES d-pad.
  • Better speakers.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 05:43:55 PM »
Here are thing that I want from the next 3DS system:

• Volume and 3D slider buttons in the form of "+" and "-".
[/list]
No
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 06:13:35 PM »
I think this says more about me than anything else, but when I saw this headline I read it as 'lager 3DS'. Now that would be a redesign!
Gouge away.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 06:46:49 PM »
I'm not sure I believe it, though it also makes it sound like it'll just be a bigger 3DS and nothing else. So it may be more of an XL type thing where both models remain on store shelves.

Offline spitman

• View Profile
Re: Nikkei Says Larger 3DS Redesign Potentially Coming This Summer
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 12:37:26 AM »
I wish they would release a 3DS with a 1 inch screen so the people whining about pixel size would be happy.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Nikkei Says Larger 3DS Redesign Potentially Coming This Summer
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 12:39:17 AM »

The GBA Micro was a thing of beauty. I wish I owned one.

You should own three.  Like me.  :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.