Poll

New Mutants has been DELAYED yet again. When will it come out? Will it ever come out?

It'll get delayed till Summer time
They'll drop it in the October slot for Halloween
Streaming Rental on Disney+ for double the ticket price
It's cursed.... it's never coming out.
Make it a double feature with Black Widow in the Drive Thru's
Right after they do the reshoots... they have time now. lol

Author Topic: (NEW Poll Added!!) New Movies/TV Shows we should keep an eye out for!  (Read 1209597 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: New Movies/TV Shows we should keep an eye out for!
« Reply #1100 on: February 24, 2012, 10:42:56 PM »
The IT Crowd trounces The Big Bang Theory.

This times a thousand. If you want a good geek-themed show, definitely check that out. It's on Netflix Instant.

it's a smart show that doesn't aim all of their jokes at the lowest class.

I think you're watching a different show, because that's exactly what The Big Bang Theory, and every comedy on CBS, does. That's why they get the ratings they do. It's not a smart show in the slightest; it's a lowest-common-denominator comedy dressed up in nerd culture.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:45:37 PM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: February 24, 2012, 10:45:23 PM »
Just beware of the randomness that can ensue, specially from the Reynholm family. Lots of good laughs from them.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: February 24, 2012, 10:51:35 PM »
Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about science experts, I thought you were talking about "nerd experts." Who cares if they use experts to make sure the math equations are correct (they could just use a textbook, too), lots of shows do that.

There are three good comedy shows on TV - The Office, Parks and Recreation, and Conan. The end.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1103 on: February 24, 2012, 10:52:57 PM »
I think you're watching a different show, because that's exactly what The Big Bang Theory does. That's why they get the ratings they do. It's not a smart show in the slightest; it's a lowest-common-denominator comedy dressed up in nerd culture.

I watch the show every week. Once in a while they make those kind of jokes (mainly by Howard), but the majority are not.

I quickly lost interest in Conan, Office sucks (both US and UK versions), and I don't like the style of Parks.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: February 24, 2012, 10:57:26 PM »
I would argue 8 myself. Community, Parks & Rec and 30 Rock on NBC; Always Sunny, Archer and Louie on FX; Futurama, which isn't what it used to be but is still pretty good; and The Life and Times of Tim on HBO, which TJ Spyke would really hate because it once managed to get a 0.0 on the Nielsen ratings. Conan's a different kind of show, so I wouldn't count that in this.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1105 on: February 24, 2012, 11:04:22 PM »
I watched a couple episodes of Life and Times, I liked it but have too many shows to watch as it is.

Getting 0.0 rating is impressive because even 0.1 is only about 100K viewers.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1106 on: February 24, 2012, 11:34:32 PM »
Let's not forget Modern Family and Happy Endings--great shows, the latter of which doesn't seem to have a big viewership. My wife and I tried to watch the IT Crowd but hated it after three episodes. It felt incredibly broad (I've said this before) and none of the characters are likable.

Alan Gregory was funny, but it's cancelled now, so...hmmm. Watch it if it hits DVD.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: February 25, 2012, 07:26:04 AM »
Why am I not surprised TJ loves BBT?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1108 on: February 25, 2012, 01:40:20 PM »
It's one of the best shows on TV, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: February 25, 2012, 02:06:22 PM »
Why am I not surprised TJ loves BBT?

I would like to hear your theory...
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: February 25, 2012, 06:09:32 PM »
There is not an ounce of believability or truth in Big Bang Theory. None. The characters that populate that show are shallow caricatures that only serve the purpose to be pointed at and laughed at. Note the difference between believability/truth and realism. Community is not a realistic show at all, but I believe in those characters. They are real human beings. There is no such thing on BBT.

Which would all be fine if it was funny, but it's not. Who the **** cares if they have some scientist they consult? They have no love for nerd culture, and it shows with every easy nerd joke they make. JP is right, BBT employs extremely lazy writing. (I would say lowest common denominator, but that designation is saved for Chuck Lorre's two other shows, Two and a Half Men and Mike and Molly. Good GOD.) And what about ambition? Big Bang Theory has none while Community is arguably the most ambitious television comedy ever this side of Spaced.

In ten years, no one's going to remember Big Bang Theory. Community will still have fans.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1111 on: February 25, 2012, 06:42:08 PM »
LOL, suuuuuuure. Community is a niche show that will be remembered only by the most hardcore fans. BBT will be remembered as one of the best sitcoms on TV. It's funny seeing so much hate, since you are clearly in the minority on the show. It's fine, it's  a great show that is really entertaining and without a doubt is one of the funniest shows on TV.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1112 on: February 25, 2012, 06:48:42 PM »
For what it's worth, you can't just say a show you don't like won't be remembered if it's already syndicated. BBT is gonna be remembered for over 10 years as it will still be on TV. No offense to Community though. I like that show.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: February 25, 2012, 07:08:31 PM »
It's funny seeing so much hate, since you are clearly in the minority on the show.

Actually, the posts so far seem to indicate that you are in the minority... at least here on the forum. Current widespread appeal doesn't really mean much for future recognition. You have to play it safe and slow to reach the masses. that kind of attitude isn't usually going to garner long term distinction.

I worry more about the tone of your posts here. Maybe it's just the wording, but it almost comes across as though you're trying to convince yourself that it's a good show, not us. It's almost as if you're saying "everyone likes it, so I have to as well... right?". :P

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1114 on: February 25, 2012, 07:14:34 PM »
I meant you guys here are in the overall minority. Most people love BBT, so it's a statistical anomaly to see so many of the haters in one place.

I love the show and have since I started watching in the middle of season 1. It's just shocking to see such a great show get hated on, and more specifically the claims that it's not a funny show or that the writing is bad. I am fine with someone not liking a show because they are not into it, but I can't disagree more with the reasons stated by some here (and apparently I got a few smites because of it).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: February 25, 2012, 07:37:51 PM »
Community is the next Arrested Development. It gets **** ratings, but will do well in the long run on DVD sales and be remembered as a cult hit. The Big Bang Theory would be forgotten if not for the fact that it will be rerun on TBS for the rest of time.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: February 25, 2012, 07:47:06 PM »
I sort of have to go with TJ on this one.

I enjoy the show.  I don't think it would really work if there was an ounce of believability in it because you would easy start to feel pity for them.

Besides here I can't think of anyone who dislikes the show.

Community on the other hand I haven't really found any of the random episodes I've seen to be enough for me to want to make it a point to see more.  They are somewhat amusing, but I found them slow.  It helps the one lady is nice looking at times.  I'm going to make it a point to go watch more of it after finish Enterprise and Breaking Bad.

I will say BBT only has 1 ok season left in it unless something really shakes up.  I have no doubt that Community will gain cult status.   Nothing Cult Status all most by definition has a large following with a few notable exceptions.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: February 25, 2012, 07:56:40 PM »
So the Tonight Show must be great because it gets better ratings than the Late Show, and the 11:00 news must be better than the Daily Show because it gets better ratings, right?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: February 25, 2012, 07:58:39 PM »
I don't understand how someone could call Community slow, especially compared to a laugh track show. The main reason laugh tracks are awful is they break up and slow down a show. Maybe compared to something like 30 Rock it's slow, but against basically anything else it's a ridiculous criticism.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1119 on: February 25, 2012, 07:59:59 PM »
Tonight Show is better than Late Show.  Local news vs. Daily Show is not really fair comparison. Local news is actual news and centered around local news stories (of course), Daily Show is about national stories and is mostly comedic look at them.

And no one is saying ratings are the only factor. But like Ceric, here is pretty much the only place I have seen people that don't like BBT.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: February 25, 2012, 09:57:34 PM »
This is of course little more than anecdotal evidence, but I don't personally know of a single person that enjoys Big Bang Theory. In contrast, I hear nothing but praise and excitement concerning Community.

For me, Big Bang Theory at best just feels hokey and formulaic. It doesn't even try to distinguish itself from any other sitcom. That is, of course, why it's popular though. It doesn't need to be different, apparently. Most people don't want different, whether it be television, film, music, food, whatever.

On the other hand, I watch Community and am consistently amused. It's generally witty, fast-paced, and often outright surreal. It has a formula as well, but it's aware of it and openly mocks it. It's the only sitcom I watch, actually. I generally just don't like the genre, so I think it speaks volumes in Community's favor that I look forward to each episode.

Watch what you want. It's just sad to see Community struggle when it has absolutely everything going in its favor.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: February 25, 2012, 11:18:05 PM »
I wouldn't hate on Big Bang Theory so much if it weren't in the same time slot as Community and cleaning up while Community struggles. Normally I don't give a **** if people want to watch awful television because they're not hurting anyone, but when a truly amazing show is on the brink of cancellation going up against an uninspired, formulaic show like that it makes me mad.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1122 on: February 25, 2012, 11:27:09 PM »
Community was struggling even before BBT moved from Mondays to Thursdays, the only thing that changed was that now it's losing to BBT (and X Factor/American Idol) rather than Survivor. Pretty much the only way the show would do better in ratings is maybe move it to Friday (where the ratings are so bad that even Univision sometimes beats network shows in ratings).

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: February 25, 2012, 11:27:55 PM »
Anybody ever watch The Middleman? Awesome show. Got cancelled. Jerks.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: February 25, 2012, 11:32:15 PM »
I find the Office slow as well if that makes a difference on that account.  Its very possible I just have ran into bad episodes.

I also don't like art films.
I don't care for romances most of the time.
Anything labelled Powerful I more than likely should not watch.
Drama's not much my cup of tea.

I'm not big on shows that are fairly unstructured.  I want to have a rough idea what I'm getting into when I watch. I don't want to have to wonder if a thread is ever going to get resolved.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.