Poll

New Mutants has been DELAYED yet again. When will it come out? Will it ever come out?

It'll get delayed till Summer time
They'll drop it in the October slot for Halloween
Streaming Rental on Disney+ for double the ticket price
It's cursed.... it's never coming out.
Make it a double feature with Black Widow in the Drive Thru's
Right after they do the reshoots... they have time now. lol

Author Topic: (NEW Poll Added!!) New Movies/TV Shows we should keep an eye out for!  (Read 1205145 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: New Movies/TV Shows we should keep an eye out for!
« Reply #625 on: March 16, 2011, 04:41:09 PM »
In a perfect world, producing artistic and cultural value is living.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #626 on: March 16, 2011, 04:44:19 PM »
Also, free unicorns for everyone.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 16, 2011, 04:51:38 PM »
No, Radiohead was the exception that proves the rule.

Please don't tell me you are naive enough to think that most artists would be willing to give away their work for free? Radiohead hadn't been relevent for years, that was a successful publicity stunt.

Your syntax is wrong. Giving it away for free and letting people enjoy it for free, are completely different things.

I don't know of any painter, who truly loves their craft, who would just give their paintings away for free or for any amount of money for that matter. But I'm sure they'd love for you to appreciate its subtleties up close.

I've been drawing a lot of portraits lately, mainly for friends. To some extant its in hopes that people will see my body of work and I can start charging strangers to have me draw their portrait. However, it feels great to be appreciated. I showed one friend his portrait and he was elated, and he got kinda giddy. He was like "we need to make a copy", I say "funny you should mention that", pull out his copy, then he's like "this needs to be framed" I showed another friend the next day and she was like "you're crazy!".......looks around trying to recover from utter meaness, "um but in a good way..." The other thing is I hate giving away original work, its kinda screwed up to give someone a photocopy though(depending on the quality of the photocopy), I would rather draw a whole other picture than give away an original.

also, keep in mind in 40 years when we all have robot slaves doing our menial work, the only real thing you can do is work on art, or keep yourself entertained.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTlV0Y5yAww&feature=related
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:59:32 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 16, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
Also, free unicorns for everyone.

There's nothing wrong in being commissioned to make art. That's just how the world works. But like I said, if we lived in a perfect world, artists wouldn't have to rely on such commissions and instead take that time to hone their craft. Luckily, both can still happen in this world. Take Leonardo Da Vinci, for example. Still, the problem with that is it festers and becomes something akin to the music industry now, where the sole purpose of making music isn't to make music, but to sell music.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:59:08 PM by The Unagi »

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #629 on: March 16, 2011, 05:05:10 PM »
In my view, the subclass of amateur musicians who make music with no expectation of major financial success is larger than ever, given the ubiquity of powerful and fairly cheap music technology. The internet is chock full of musicians who care only about the craft. I think that's awesome, but I also think it's not morally superior or inferior to trying to sell your music. The only thing that I consider "immoral", in an artistic sense, is deliberately changing your music in order to make it sell better. Which obviously happens a lot, but there is boatloads of music that isn't doing that.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: March 16, 2011, 05:26:22 PM »
I'm a film maker and a song writer.  I can honestly say that I've so far done it for the love of it because I have made essentially no money whatsoever in either endeavour.  But the thing is art costs money to make.  The instruments, the amps, the camera, the computer used to edit the films and record the music - all of that stuff is expensive.  Time is also valuable.  I have to squeeze my artistic pursuits into my free time.

I have to work a full-time job to pay the bills, pay the mortgage, and buy food.  In order to be an artist full time I would have to be able to make a living on it.  It's just the simple logistics of it.  I can do it for free but then I can't do it full time.  It's one or the other.  Right now it remains a hobby because that's the only way I can make it work.

That's why something like Radiohead's example is ridiculous.  Radiohead were already successful wealthy artists prior to releasing In Rainbows.  It's very easy for independently wealthy people to afford to give away something like that for free.  When Radiohead was starting out there is no way they could have been able to afford the studio time, equipment, manufacturing, distribution, and their own personal time spent working on it.  For a regular average person this just is not a possibility.

You're only a sellout if you're making art that you have to passion for at all.  To me that's doesn't mean making a slight change for commercial purposes.  Compromises are part of life.  What that means is that you don't care for it at all in any way.  You can make something to sell while still finding joy in creating it.  When the joy isn't there, then you might as well be on an assembly line.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 16, 2011, 06:00:26 PM »
You produce art because you love to do it. You make money from that art because other people enjoy it too.

A Painter paints because they have a vision or feeling they need to express.
They then sell that art because someone else is willing to pay for it. It doesn't necessarily mean they created that art with the sole intention of selling it to the highest bidder. Alot of that happens after the artist is no longer able to see any profits (dead).

A real musician would create music off of an inspiration and feeling or a message that they want to share. They produce that music straight from their heart. They want that music to be enjoyed by as many as possible. If they could give it away and perform it for free, they would, but it ain't cheap to set up a concert or press and distribute 8trac/Vinyl/tapes/cd's etc. and a business was born.
Now making music is business first for most of the stuff you hear and that is the problem with todays music, it's not born from  heart solely for the love of music, it was written and processed by someone hired to study todays trends and crank out something that will appeal to the masses and make all involved a ton of money.
By musicians giving it out for free over the internet, where there is no overhead for packaging and distribution, and letting you decide what it is worth to you, then they are taking all the hands out of their pockets that turned music away from being an art form into a cold cash business.

I hope tha tall makes sense because I didn't really proof read or anything
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:02:22 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 16, 2011, 06:07:03 PM »
I'm just going to take the time to lay my position out flat, in simple terms, for all to understand.

Why do I not feel as if enjoying copyrighted material for free is morally wrong? That is the question that basically started this fueled debate. I don't think it's morally wrong or right. I feel like it is inevitable and that all art will one day be easy to access, free, and for all to enjoy, from the poorest of people to the wealthiest. Why do I think it is inevitable? Because of what art is. It is inherently worthwhile, no matter how terrible or wonderful. It is an expression, as significant as a heralded speech, but as common as this post. It sets us free little by little depicting views and opinions, life, the real, the imaginary, the very fabric of who we are, and as a race, what we have become. Stifling such a influential part of our world by labeling it with procedures, restricting it's viewers, and ultimately taking the very essence of what made it pure all in the name of money will have a drastic effect on the art and on our overall wellbeing.

I understand we are not there yet and acting like we are is seen as immoral. But so be it.

For a regular average person this just is not a possibility.

I wish there was an article to back me up, but my intuition tells me that the cost to release your own album has plummeted and is soon to be negligible.

In my view, the subclass of amateur musicians who make music with no expectation of major financial success is larger than ever, given the ubiquity of powerful and fairly cheap music technology. The internet is chock full of musicians who care only about the craft. I think that's awesome, but I also think it's not morally superior or inferior to trying to sell your music.

Well you should; music especially. To sell something is inherent of trying to get a return on investment. That's business and there should be none of that as far as art is concerned. Instead, I think artists who are looking for something in return, should go about it as if they are trading their music. Let the user browse their music, listen to it, and then if they want to own it, allow them a means to purchase it. And that's what most subclass artists do.

But the fact is, I was talking about paintings; something you can't readily make a copy of. Selling the original is a definitely morally inferior.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:10:34 PM by The Unagi »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 16, 2011, 06:09:12 PM »
copyright wars strike another thread.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 16, 2011, 06:10:04 PM »
does someone demand a copyright when music plays in our heads?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 16, 2011, 06:17:27 PM »
THOUGHT CRIMES!!!!

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 16, 2011, 06:21:34 PM »
copyright wars strike another thread.

I blame TJSpyke. He provoked it. I finished it.

does someone demand a copyright when music plays in our heads?

Yes. Now give me money.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 16, 2011, 06:23:34 PM »
THOUGHT CRIMES!!!!

HUUUSHHHHH!, Tom Cruise might hear you and go all minority on you.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 16, 2011, 06:57:02 PM »
it was written and processed by someone hired to study todays trends and crank out something that will appeal to the masses and make all involved a ton of money.

See, that is something I could never imagine doing.  When you're going to that kind of calculated effort to craft a hit, how can there be an passion for it?  The funny thing is I find it's really easy to tell if a song has commercial value or not.  If you love music you know when the chorus should come in and how many bars the intro should be.  It's all feel and it just feels right or it doesn't.  If you have to study and analyze then you're "faking" it.  You should know what you want to hear on the radio and what you want to listen to on your iPod.  If you love the art you make then you will also have similar tastes to the audience that loves your work so crafting a "hit" with that audience should be somewhat instinctive.

I wish there was an article to back me up, but my intuition tells me that the cost to release your own album has plummeted and is soon to be negligible.

Well that is true and my band is recording our debut album right now at my house.  But as I mentioned, time it a major factor.  We're squeezing this in on weekends and we pretty much have to shut off our social lives for the time being to get it done.  If any of us were married or had kids it probably just couldn't do it.  My brother would like to make another film but three members of his cast had kids shortly after wrapping up filming.  So now his "free" actors are not available and he would have to pay to get strangers to work with him.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 16, 2011, 07:25:23 PM »
ANYWAY ON-TOPIC GUYS YOU KNOW LIKE NEW TV SHOW/MOVIES WE SHOULD KEP AN EYE OUT FOR?

Yeah. Watch Raising Hope. It's pretty damn hilarious.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: March 16, 2011, 07:29:12 PM »
I like Dexter, SuperNatural, Community, Parks & Recreation, and Justified.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 16, 2011, 07:32:37 PM »
I didn't think Dexter and Supernatural was new.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: March 16, 2011, 07:49:12 PM »
it was written and processed by someone hired to study todays trends and crank out something that will appeal to the masses and make all involved a ton of money.

See, that is something I could never imagine doing.  When you're going to that kind of calculated effort to craft a hit, how can there be an passion for it?  The funny thing is I find it's really easy to tell if a song has commercial value or not.  If you love music you know when the chorus should come in and how many bars the intro should be.  It's all feel and it just feels right or it doesn't.  If you have to study and analyze then you're "faking" it.  You should know what you want to hear on the radio and what you want to listen to on your iPod.  If you love the art you make then you will also have similar tastes to the audience that loves your work so crafting a "hit" with that audience should be somewhat instinctive.

Look up Rebecca Black with her song Friday  on ARK music or whatever their name is. They are a company comprised of several 35+ year old men who employ kids between 8-13yrs old to sing the songs that they have written for them. I thnk they had something like 5 or more artist at teh moment and all their videos are up on youtube if you look. They are HORRIBLE and crafted to be sold to other children that don't know any better.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 16, 2011, 07:52:22 PM »
I didn't think Dexter and Supernatural was new.

I liked Terriers and Lonestar this year but they got canceled. Nothing else is really grabbing me this TV year.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 16, 2011, 07:57:28 PM »
ANYWAY ON-TOPIC GUYS YOU KNOW LIKE NEW TV SHOW/MOVIES WE SHOULD KEP AN EYE OUT FOR?

Yeah. Watch Raising Hope. It's pretty damn hilarious.

haha you must be new. The only thread that can't be derailed is the "I Can't Be Derailed (Rail-less)" Thread.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: March 16, 2011, 08:03:56 PM »
Raising Hope is pretty good, i was trying to ignore it..for fear that if i watched it they would take it off..now what type of damn sense does that make. Damn networks!!! Fucking with my mind.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 16, 2011, 08:06:55 PM »
haha you must be new. The only thread that can't be derailed is the "I Can't Be Derailed (Rail-less)" Thread.

Um...sorry for asking but, isn't off-topicness against the rules or something? :P

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 16, 2011, 08:28:36 PM »
Those rules are for new people. Once you're in, you're in... and then there are a whole new set of rules to follow

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 16, 2011, 08:29:31 PM »
That's different, I guess.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 16, 2011, 08:36:18 PM »
We're rebels.