Author Topic: Wii Storage Solution Put Forth  (Read 8543 times)

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Wii Storage Solution Put Forth
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 02:27:20 PM »
I don't understand why they'd let you download straight to the SD card if you can't play them off it, that would make no sense. Hopefully they'll clear things up later today.

Imagine this scenario (as if many of us have to imagine it):  You go to the Wii Shop Channel.  You see a game you'd like to buy.  You try to buy it, but you're told you don't have room for it.  You exit the Shop Channel, "clean out the fridge" to make room, start the Shop Channel back up, find the game again, and buy it.

After this update, you'll be able to go ahead and download the game anyway and take care of the rearranging later.  It seems to me that this barrier to impulse VC and WiiWare purchases was Nintendo's priority instead of solving the real problem.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 02:32:31 PM »
Like an extra pocket to work with, since i suppose the issue all-along was "storage" and not game execution.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 02:32:39 PM »
That's a great observation PartyBear. I think you are dead-on and that makes me sad.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 02:58:51 PM »
If partybear is right, that is frigging ridiculous, and in my opinion sours the entire list of announcements.

That is NOT a "solution".  That is a slight enhancement to broken strategy.

God I hope they do this right.... /sigh
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 12:16:58 AM »
So the solution to the "clean out your fridge" paradigm is to "use a bar fridge as well"?

Good thing I don't care about this VC/Wiiware stuff right now, otherwise I'd be pissed.

A 2GB SD card is significantly larger than the Wii's usable onboard memory, so I'd say that, if anything, you're starting out with a bar fridge, and adding the SD card is like adding on a full-size fridge.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 12:21:10 AM »
Well it sounds like they found a way to encrypt the games faster, so there is a chance this could be ALMOST seamless going form SD card to system memory. Maybe it works similar to how Guitar Hero World Tour works.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 03:16:06 AM »
I like Parrty Bear's idea actually.

If Nintendo has a sort of virtual memory channel that takes up about 350 blocks, permanently reserving that space for quickly copying SD card games over to the Wii for impulse play, then the storage solution does everything it's supposed to do in my opinion.

Otherwise it's far less palatable.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 01:20:36 PM »
Party Bear's idea is a tremendous idea for a patch.  It's the sort of thing that a normal company would release ASAP once storage became an issue.  In other words had Nintendo already released this firmware update and mentioned that a permanent solution was in the works then we're getting somewhere.

But this is a FUTURE solution down the road?  What are you kidding me?  Why the hell would it take this long?  I work for a software company and this is a temporary workaround.  We issue a workaround in a patch with a typical wait time of about a month.  Then our actual solution would come out within the next year.  If I suggested what Nintendo is doing to my boss he would consider the suggestion completely unacceptable.

It just feels like they're doing it different because they didn't come up with the idea of a hard drive.  Note that Nintendo always does things in a weird ass Nintendo way if the idea was thought of by someone else.  It's like some weird inferiority complex.  "We can't admit the competition was right about something.  Better to do things sh!tty then to admit we were wrong."  The irony of course is doing something in a dumbass way looks worse than copying someone else's good idea.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2008, 04:58:28 PM »
What idea of PartyBear are you guys referring to?  The scenario of downloading a new game directly to the card instead of backing out to the menu to clean the fridge isn't an idea -- it's exactly how this update will work.

I was talking to the RFN guys and got the idea to display all your SD games on the Wii channel menu with some indication (like a highlight or gray-out) that shows they are on the card, not your system.  If the transfer speeds have been improved enough, you should be able to click on one of these off-system games and have it quickly load into a reserved space on the system memory to be played within a few seconds.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2008, 05:11:53 PM »
Well not necessarily his idea, but the fact that Nintendo is only presenting this solution to remove the barrier people have with buying games. Whereas before you needed to clean the fridge, now you do not. This solves the "storage problem" but doesn't bother with what people were actually complaining about which is the usage problem.

Great, I can download games to my SD card, but why in the hell can't I play them from there too?

The Wii memory should more or less just be augmented by the SD card memory, not treated as two separate things.
Check out PixlBit!

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2008, 05:21:40 PM »
What idea of PartyBear are you guys referring to?  The scenario of downloading a new game directly to the card instead of backing out to the menu to clean the fridge isn't an idea -- it's exactly how this update will work.

Indeed.  I just put a pessimistic spin on it.

I was talking to the RFN guys and got the idea to display all your SD games on the Wii channel menu with some indication (like a highlight or gray-out) that shows they are on the card, not your system.  If the transfer speeds have been improved enough, you should be able to click on one of these off-system games and have it quickly load into a reserved space on the system memory to be played within a few seconds.

If that were the case, and the system also automatically and quickly transferred less recently/frequently used games to the SD card if necessary to make room, I would consider it an acceptable solution.  There's no indication of that happening, unfortunately.  The sheer number of proposed solutions that fans have come up with is what makes Nintendo's actions so baffling, not to mention frustrating.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2008, 07:37:20 PM »
This entire problem and delayed solution is indicative of everything wrong w/ Nintendo right now.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline ATimson

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2008, 07:41:32 PM »
But this is a FUTURE solution down the road?  What are you kidding me?  Why the hell would it take this long?
Because they probably have to rearchitect their API so that the Shop channel actually has access to the encryption mechanisms for the channels it'll be putting on the SD cards.

Ideally, at the same time they're also revamping the DRM, so that it's permission-based instead of encryption-based. (That is, so that the console is asking "can I run this?" when you start a channel like an Xbox does, instead of just asking "can I decrypt this?" when copying it to the system and never checking again.) But that's not likely.
Grr. Argh.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2008, 08:40:08 PM »
What idea of PartyBear are you guys referring to?

Oh whoops. I meant Bayous:

The SD channel

Which will require users to leave a signifigant amount of WII memory card space free, possibly the majority of the space if not all and have everything that was on the WII uploaded to SD.
This free space is of course a virtual memeory to download whatever game or program is selected in the SD channel and possibly to be used to help performace of say, the Web browser and WII ware games.

That is my hypothesis at any rate.

Anyways, why WOULDN'T Nintendo want to remove a psychological barrier to purchase? They are a for-profit company after all.

Nintendo's action on this issue goes to show that they believe that a more drastic solution will be expensive, difficult, and possibly create more problems for them. Clearly they've evaluated this issue and rated it of vastly less importance than the vehement internet community. In my opinion, a hard drive was NEVER in the cards for the Wii, and Nintendo probably ruled out the idea a long time ago.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2008, 01:47:38 AM »
Nintendo's action on this issue goes to show that they believe that a more drastic solution will be expensive, difficult, and possibly create more problems for them. Clearly they've evaluated this issue and rated it of vastly less importance than the vehement internet community. In my opinion, a hard drive was NEVER in the cards for the Wii, and Nintendo probably ruled out the idea a long time ago.

Nintendo is already saying they have too many peripherals, so a hard drive was never going to happen.  However, I think that quite a few people have complained about this, more than just the internet minority.  Anybody that uses SD cards with the Wii can see that their user interface is pretty brutal.  I think Nintendo is also seeing the money generated by the VC, and don't want any negative press around it whatsoever.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2008, 12:17:14 PM »
Anyways, why WOULDN'T Nintendo want to remove a psychological barrier to purchase? They are a for-profit company after all.

There's nothing wrong with that.  What they're proposing is actually a good idea.  It just doesn't go far enough.  Because Nintendo is a for-profit company, they viewed complaints such as "I am less likely to buy stuff on the Shop Channel because I don't have room" from a different perspective than most of us.  We wanted a solution to the "I don't have room" part, and Nintendo wanted a solution to the "I am less likely to buy stuff" part.  Nintendo found a way to solve the part that concerns them without having much of an impact on the part that concerns us.

I'm really not as negative about it as I may seem.  I don't know all the details, so it might turn out to be better than it sounds.  Even if it's not, it is a step in the right direction.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2008, 10:39:07 PM »

"We will make it so that, when there is not enough room on the Wii's internal memory, you will be able to purchase and download Virtual Console and WiiWare software directly from the Shopping Channel to an SD memory card. We will also make it so that you will need to go through just one process in order to transfer Virtual Console or WiiWare software stored on an SD card to the Wii console and then be able to play it. We would like to deal with this issue utilizing two methods. Since the updates to realize these new structures will require significant revisions to the Wii system, and these changes need to be made by taking care of a variety of different angles, this method will become effective beginning next spring. For some of you, this may be considered late. But please know that we really appreciate your cooperation and understanding. We are working hard so we can begin the service as soon as possible."> -- Satoru Iwata

Source

Good job Iwata, I feel very reassured I think it was a very humble and worth while comment.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
So they're basically fixing what's broken, but not adding anything new.  That's fair enough.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2008, 08:16:22 AM »
I guess it is something of a solution, but they could've done better. I wish Nintendo didn't feel as if they needed to reinvent the wheel every time they needed to solve a problem.
Check out PixlBit!