Community Forums > NWR Mafia Games

Mafia LXXXV: Metroid Dread. Dead Thread.

<< < (4/14) > >>

ejamer:
What was the first Metroid game that people played?

I remember there used to be Nintendo arcade games where you would get a set amount of time to play for each quarter, and could choose from a handful of different titles. Super Mario, Metroid, Punch-Out, etc...  It was probably one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayChoice-10

Anyway, when I was a kid we didn't have enough money to buy the NES console, but I had tried some games when visiting friends. But seeing Nintendo games in an arcade was really intriguing - after begging for a quarter of course I'd give it a try!

Picking Metroid probably wasn't a good choice... not knowing you had to start out going left, or how to get into morph ball form meant that most of my 4 minutes was spent just jumping around. Not the best first impression, especially when stacked up to a more straight-forward Mario game!

Still, I was intrigued. Years later - just after the SNES was released - we did end up getting a Nintendo, and I had a chance to borrow and play through Metroid. Without a timing counting down while playing, I was absolutely thrilled to explore the caverns and search out hidden power ups. Finding secrets all over the game world, and even some weird and cool bugs. It took a lot of time and effort, but eventually I beat Mother Brain and escaped before the planet self-destructed.

Oddly, I never had the chance to play Super Metroid until getting it on Wii virtual console, but I was hooked on the series and eagerly played through all of the portable entries on GB/GBA. The series lost me a bit when going to 3D though; I didn't own a GameCube, and have never really gone back to it. What can I say? 2D is my life.

BeautifulShy:
Hmm I think for me it was Super Metroid.    I remember getting it shortly after it came out and I was so engrossed with it and it took some time to learn the world and I even had the Nintendo Power Players guide for it. I think it was one of the items that I could get when resubscribing to NP.   It felt really huge and at times even to this day.   I also think my first exposure to Metroid was the Super Metroid comics in NP leading up to the release of Super Metroid. Fun times.

I do remember those Play Choice-10 in malls growing up and I would play them but I don't think I player Metroid till the Wii Virtual Console. Metroid II: Return of Samus I vaguely remember playing it on my Gameboy but I didn't play it that much and it may have been after I played Super Metroid.

pokepal148:
Repohts of mah death have been heavily exaggerated. In fact, I'd even go so far as to call dem a part of an elaborate coverup.

Dey are trying to destroy me because I know da truth, but they forget that I am Ridley and I can suhvive anything.

pokepal148:
Zebes is Flat. Look at this complete map of Zebes. Can you see da coive? I can't!

that Baby guy:
I want the clock Khushrenada is using...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version