Author Topic: Disney+  (Read 139863 times)

Online ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Disney+
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2019, 06:42:48 PM »
get ready for Nightmare fuel.

What is this delicious sounding juice, of which you speak?

That's just some slang for creepy stuff you see. Willow and Return to Oz have some disturbing stuff.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2019, 07:01:10 PM »
I watched the Mandalorian 1 and 2. It's fun and solid. Nothing amazing, but it's better than any other Disney produced Star Wars thing I've seen.

Online ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2019, 07:11:06 PM »
Mandalorian has that Favreau magic
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 23, 2019, 09:18:05 PM »
anyone else having D+ playback issues in Chrome?

tons of video studdering, mostly on the Marvel videos I try to watch, as The Mandalorian played smoothly, and Lady and the Tramp played smoothly last week when we watched that as well.

I had to open Opera, which is much smoother, but still not perfect..

anyone else experiencing this?
Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Youtube and everything else streams perfectly fine at all times on Chrome. Only an issue with D+.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 23, 2019, 09:44:37 PM »
Was over at a friend's house, who pretty much tied me to a chair & forced me to watch episodes 1-3 of The Mandalorian. It's fine, I guess (I got him back when we had to get through the torture that is Steins;Gate 0). What was really bugging me was the movement in that show. Is it just me, or are the characters moving unusually fast, like they're at 1.5x speed? It was really distracting.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 23, 2019, 11:07:22 PM »
I really like The Mandalorian so far.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #156 on: November 24, 2019, 02:58:07 AM »
I have struggled to get on Disney + it often says that the internet connection is too slow.  I read an article describing that they had no idea how much demand they were going to have and basically the core program was under performing.  That they were going to be rewriting the program from the ground up within the next 2 or three weeks.  I really want to watch some shows on the service, but so far I have only been able to watch like 4 full episodes of various shows and movies. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 24, 2019, 06:29:23 AM »
I’ve seen some lag in very specific instances like when first casting to Chromecast or oddly when attempting to pause sometimes. I figure Disney will update the app and improve this as they get more data.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2019, 12:46:08 PM »
I'm playing it on my computer

6core 3.3Ghz
16GB Ram

560Mb down, 18Mb up from Comcast

If that's not enough to run Disney+ then I don't know what to say.
I figure it has to be some compatibility with the Chrome browser (and to a much lesser extent the Opera browser)
I have not tried the MS Edge browser.

Now that I think about it, the things that did play smoothly, were actually played from my Nvidia Shield on a different TV

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2019, 10:48:22 PM »
Fellow Shield owners unite! I have 4 of them...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 09, 2019, 12:57:36 PM »
Are people still watching The Mandalorian?  I haven't seen the latest episode, but am looking for opinions. So far it's been pretty mediocre for me, and feels like they are just pulling well-worn storylines from other genres and shoehorning them into the Star Wars universe.  This isn't terrible... but also isn't very compelling for me.

They hype machines says I need to watch. Are things actually getting better, or are they staying roughly the same and people just easily swayed?
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2019, 01:44:31 PM »
I like The Mandalorian so far. It isn’t setting the world on fire, but I’m getting what I want from it. The last episode didn’t particularly move the story forward. It’s the only episode that felt extraneous. Right now, it feels like you could skip it and not miss a beat. That’s my only real criticism. With only eight episodes, I would have thought they’d keep the story moving.

Here’s some unsolicited advice: if you think it’s mediocre, watch something else. I don’t mean to be dismissive. I hate-watched The Walking Dead for three additional seasons before stepping away. I invested so much time already that I felt compelled to keep watching. I could see if The Mandalorian was in the last season and you had been watching the whole time and you just want to see how it all ends. I think it’s early enough that you can dust your hands off, say, “Not for me,” and hopefully find something that really draws you in.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 01:52:38 PM by Adrock »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 09, 2019, 02:56:34 PM »
I'm enjoying it a lot.  It's certainly not top shelf stuff in terms of story telling but I enjoy it for what it is. 

As for Adrock's advice....  ordinarily I would agree.  No point wasting time watching something you're not enjoying (which is why I bailed from the Arrowverse shows) but I would suggest this is the exception to the rule.  It's really short.  Which in itself is one of the complaints to be leveled at the show, but the silver lining in that is that it's quick to watch and finish so it won't take long to get through.  After season one ends you can decide if you want to bother with season two.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #163 on: December 09, 2019, 05:51:34 PM »
I haven't started it yet, but I'm eager to.  My excitement is a bit tempered now, looking at your reviews, but I think I'll get to it next week.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 09, 2019, 09:43:06 PM »
Sound advice.

I'm not going to avoid Mandalorian, but will probably wait until the season is done so that I can go through the remaining episodes in a shorter amount of time. Others thinking about watching should still jump in; it's a decent enough series, if uninspired. Don't let my ambivalence towards the series turn you away.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2019, 12:30:40 PM »
So, I watched all the available episodes.  It's pretty good?  I like it a lot.  The western feel works really well.  The plot isn't super deep, but each episode feels like its own adventure, which is great.  While I'm not hooked on the story (they aren't exactly ending episodes on cliffhangers), I'm still excited to see where it goes.  The story is in between the original and sequel trilogies, right?  I'm curious what becomes of Baby Yoda, since there's no mention of it in the current films, but I guess it'd still be a teen?  With no one to train it?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2019, 05:29:44 PM »
Nickmitch:  I like the fact they aren't ending stories on cliffhangers.  Cliffhangers are a television device and comic device that is super annoying.  So the self-contained episodes are nice.  My problem with the series is that the writing and acting are just so poor.  Sure, each episode really feels like Star Wars and that in and of itself makes it amazing to watch...but it could and should be so much more. 

As for baby Yoda, the universe is a very big place.  I like to think that even after Order 66 that pockets of Jedi survived because they went into hiding, and the story we know isn't necessarily the last Jedi, but just the family drama of the Chosen One.  So baby Yoda could be anywhere, and I like the Mandalorian traveling with him as a body guard because it humanizes him...but I also want to see him without being a baby sister.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2019, 06:53:44 PM »
...  My problem with the series is that the writing and acting are just so poor.  ...

As someone else not crazy about the series so far, "poor" is probably a bit strong? I'd lean more towards uninspired.

It certainly feels like the series had more potential than it will capitalize on, but it's still a fun enough romp if you don't bring in expectations of what it should have been. Just seeing some background into less traveled paths of the Star Wars universe is a nice option.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2019, 07:15:02 PM »
Oh I thunk it is some of the best adventure Scifi I have seen on TV. But Trek is still king on for tv.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 20, 2019, 11:32:26 PM »
Kuiiiiiiiiiiiiiil!

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #170 on: December 24, 2019, 05:58:58 PM »
Nickmitch:  I like the fact they aren't ending stories on cliffhangers.  Cliffhangers are a television device and comic device that is super annoying.  So the self-contained episodes are nice.  My problem with the series is that the writing and acting are just so poor.  Sure, each episode really feels like Star Wars and that in and of itself makes it amazing to watch...but it could and should be so much more. 

The acting isn't distractingly bad for me, but it's not like the writing calls for anyone to do any heavy acting.  And yeah, there could be more, but I think where you can see a lack of ambition, you can also see it being grounded.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 27, 2019, 05:32:45 PM »
Now that it was in questions, but Mandalorian S2 was just confirmed.

now I need to go finish watching S1....

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 29, 2019, 01:28:09 PM »
The theme song is so good.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 29, 2019, 02:29:57 PM »
Solid ending to Mandolorian, now everyone cancel Disney+ for the next year.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 29, 2019, 03:46:42 PM »
Solid ending to Mandolorian, now everyone cancel Disney+ for the next year.

But I pre-paid for 3 years...... only to find out Verizon would've paid for my first year anyway.
in the long run.... I suppose it would've cost the nearly the same anyway. but now I feel so confused.

I need new MCU content on D+ NOW.