Author Topic: press conference letdown  (Read 6124 times)

Offline Sugaruss

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
press conference letdown
« on: May 18, 2005, 02:48:37 AM »
So let me get this straight

No screenshots
Grossly underpowered hardware
A new GBA (wtf)
And game downloads that most of us own already, or have downloaded onto our computers/xboxs.

why am i going to buy a system that is marginally better then my gamecube?  oh that's right I'm not.  Nintendo has had five years to realize a new system, and months to plan this press conference yet they only throw us scraps.  thanks reggie for another underwhelming showing at e3.  the world would be a better place if everyone realized that you are nothing more then a marketing tool designed to placate the attention starved older gaming audience that are emmigrating in droves to more exciting systems with wider game selections, far greater performance and online play.  dedicating even 1 second to a game such as nintendogs in the press conference, a game that isn't even new and has no real appeal in america, just goes to show that nothing worth mentioning is going on at nintendo.
hi

Offline Sugaruss

• View Profile
RE:press conference letdown
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 02:52:30 AM »
one last thing

are you mocking us with a console named 'revolution' which is nothing more then a 5 year old technology showcase?  thanks but no thanks i already have a dvd player.
hi

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: press conference letdown
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 03:00:01 AM »
You're a moron.

Don't want a system marginally better than the GameCube?

1) Don't you like GameCube? Why are you here then?
2) Where did you get this idea from anyway? We haven't seen ANY GAMES running on Revolution, they could be a million times more fun.

Nintendogs looks awesome.

Offline Grant10k

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 04:54:57 AM »
3) He's not a tool, he's the VP of sales and marketing.
and 4)

are you mocking us with a console named 'revolution' which is nothing more then a 5 year old technology showcase?

The Gamecube isn't even 5 years old yet.
 Without data, you're just another schmuck with an opinion.
     -Chris Anderson, TEC speaker

Offline PugGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 05:30:54 AM »

The Gamecube isn't even 5 years old yet.

But the technology is...

I'm getting tired of being a prick to all you blind reggie rimmers, but I agree with the sugarpuss. Especially about the GBA micro, c'mon nintendo!

"Reggie" is just a tosser used to SELL and make YOU "FANS" feel better about nintendo being cheap. The people you should be looking up to are both the hardware and software engineers and the game project directors.

You're the moron, mario.
Reggie is a sad, mentally challenged man...

Offline tpfkanep

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 06:12:27 AM »

Originally posted by: Sugaruss
So let me get this straight
No screenshots

So you believe the stuff that the competition showed? They are real and ingame?

Grossly underpowered hardware
Now that is the truth! Wait till you see the Revolution games in real-time.

A new GBA (wtf)
Agreed. Altho I am not a handheld gamer.

And game downloads that most of us own already, or have downloaded onto our computers/xboxs.
I am not one of those.  

Offline reverend_tod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 12:35:57 PM »
It is so grossly underpowered, god, what are they thinking, what thoughtless, heartless rapist they are oh the horror of it all

(nevermind the specs haven't been released yet and you're getting a hernia over videogame business)

Offline Jiggy37

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 12:58:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Sugaruss

Recognize that not everybody is the type of hardcore gamer you most likely are--you know, the type who actually spends spare time on the Internet talking about games, and who spends time tracking down emulators.
There's nothing wrong with being like that, since obviously I'm here too, but you're making it sound like Internet piracy is as popular now as music downloads at the height of the Napster craze, which isn't true.

dedicating even 1 second to a game such as nintendogs in the press conference, a game that isn't even new and has no real appeal in america

Way to try and speak for everybody in the country. A lot of people find it appealing.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 01:47:34 PM »
There is a legititmate argument here, but it has all gotten a little too personal too quick.  I understand you guys are upset, but look at all the facts.  MS didn't show jack last year.  Sony and Nintendo showed a lot at this years E3, especially for Nintendo who in the past has been super secret about everything including the name of the system.

Compared to how much we knew about X360 after last year's E3, and what we know about REV after this year's E3 is like night and day.  REV still has another year to go so the games are not ready yet.  MS's games aren't even ready yet, but they're launching this year like nuts.

I personally wish the controller had been shown in some form; but several games were confirmed (no surprises), the backwards compatibility is useless to us who own most of those old games (but it will act as a great safety net for the system, Sony and MS just can't do anything, anything like this and the mainstreme will love it), and finally I would like to point out that anything three times better looking than either of the Zeldas, RErebirth, or RE4 on Cube is going to blow everything MS has shown in their tech demos thus far.

I won't be buying the DVD addon because I already have two DVD players, but I like that they included the option, keeping the price down, and they only have to ship one model of the system.

Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 02:01:09 PM »
it would have been nice to see more stuff, but you know the other companies will rip off any good idea that they have. i used to think nintend was just paranoid...but you can see just from the controlers of the new consoles how much these other companies still look to nintendo for ideas. im sure the last thing they want is to be ripped off of a great idea that may actually sell systems for them. that being said, it would have been nice to see something. even hearing some launch titles would have been nice.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 02:25:16 PM »
Trolling, trolling, a trolling we will go!

Hey!  Guess what?

STFU!!  

Seriously.  Just...go away.

If you would like to enter into a serious discussion about the Ninty press conference, the lack of hardware specs , or even emulation and piracy, I would be more than happy to talk with you about it.

But you don't start out serious discussions by insulting your opponent.  

Idiot(s).
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 03:04:55 PM »
Hey, PugGTI, your butt hair is crawling out the top of your shorts. Tuck it in, would ya?
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 03:22:32 PM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83
There is a legititmate argument here, but it has all gotten a little too personal too quick.  I understand you guys are upset, but look at all the facts.  MS didn't show jack last year.  Sony and Nintendo showed a lot at this years E3, especially for Nintendo who in the past has been super secret about everything including the name of the system.

Compared to how much we knew about X360 after last year's E3, and what we know about REV after this year's E3 is like night and day.  REV still has another year to go so the games are not ready yet.  MS's games aren't even ready yet, but they're launching this year like nuts.

I personally wish the controller had been shown in some form; but several games were confirmed (no surprises), the backwards compatibility is useless to us who own most of those old games (but it will act as a great safety net for the system, Sony and MS just can't do anything, anything like this and the mainstreme will love it), and finally I would like to point out that anything three times better looking than either of the Zeldas, RErebirth, or RE4 on Cube is going to blow everything MS has shown in their tech demos thus far.

I won't be buying the DVD addon because I already have two DVD players, but I like that they included the option, keeping the price down, and they only have to ship one model of the system.

Nemo you make several excellent points. The Rev will be out in about 12 months. What did we know about 360, 12 months ago? Nothing out side of the rumored specs. All we know about the Rev is rumored specs and what the console looks like. If the rumored specs are true the Rev will be more than competitive with the competition. If the Rev info released was full specs, game demos, its controller etc. and it still was disappointing I'd understand. I'm disappointed with the Rev right now only becuase I want to know more, but I can see why Nintendo doens't want to tip its hand. Its miracle that they told us as much as they have given their past track record. Nintendo needs to have a Spaceworld though. They need to build hype for the Rev before E3. A Spaceworld show right around the 360's launch would be an excellent move by Nintendo. With PS3 launching in the Spring in Japan it would have had finalized hardware and specs so Sony wouldn't be able to rip off the Rev's innovation out of the box.
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 03:25:59 PM »
E3 really brings out the bitterness..

As a kid, were you jealous that Aladdin was better on SNES than Genesis?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline TMW

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 03:44:40 PM »

Originally posted by: MJRx9000As a kid, were you jealous that Aladdin was better on SNES than Genesis?

Hey!  I was!   =P

Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Sugaruss

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 08:22:06 PM »
I wouldn't be posting here if I wasn't a Nintendo fan.  The fact remains that Sony and Microsoft 'brought it' while Nintendo was left sucking their collective thumbs.  Ya we got Link, right.  A game that everyone and their mothers knew was in development.  And as I said the fact that there are no system specs, screen shots or even a measly technology demo can only mean that once again Nintendo is behind the competition in development and third party support.
hi

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2005, 08:29:26 PM »

Originally posted by: TMW

Originally posted by: MJRx9000As a kid, were you jealous that Aladdin was better on SNES than Genesis?

Hey!  I was!   =P

I was lucky, that was during the 6-month period of my life where I wouldn't play Aladdin because Disney was teh k1dd13.

Offline PugGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2005, 08:39:56 PM »

If you would like to enter into a serious discussion about the Ninty press conference, the lack of hardware specs , or even emulation and piracy, I would be more than happy to talk with you about it.

As long as its one-sided? Ey?

Hey, PugGTI, your butt hair is crawling out the top of your shorts. Tuck it in, would ya?

Arrrgh.... the pain! School bully teach you that one? At least i'm man enough to grow it! No really... what was the point of that? An attempt to talk about my arse beard to ...what???
Reggie is a sad, mentally challenged man...

Offline TMW

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 08:45:44 PM »

Originally posted by: PugGTI

As long as its one-sided? Ey?

No, as long as you're willing to be civil about it.  

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 09:02:06 PM »
I honestly don't think any of the 'major players' revealed much. We knew about the XBox 360 specs already and the PS3's archetecture is so alien that nobody really knows what it can do. Nintendo aren't going to pull the numbers bullshit their competitors are.

Nintendo just didn't really have much to show this year. The GameBoy micro is cool but nothing major. The Zelda tailer was neat, but unlike last year it wasn't a massive surprise to everyone, and we didn't get many details about the Revolution. The DS is having a good show, but because most of the games are already out in Japan, we're not so surprised by them. To me, the announcement of the Revolution's ability to download old games was the highlight of the conference. Though I was hoping Odama would steal the show.

Especially about the GBA micro, c'mon nintendo!

All the micro-hate is just like this comic. When Apple released the iPod mini nobody bitched about it. What's your problem? They didn't tout it as a big thing, and they're not forcing you to buy it.

You really are trolling here. You contradict yourself in the online statements, and talk about stuff nobody knows about. We got pre-rendered screens just like Sony's conference did. Too bad all the mods are away at E3.  

Offline Dryden

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 12:22:18 AM »
Personally, I thought that Nintendo gave me a very satisfying press conference by highlighting four - four - systems, along with software that tickles me pink.  But I'm not a Nintendo fan, I'm more of an industry fan.  I don't need to see Nintendo win - I just need to see Nintendo continue to offer alternatives to the "mainstream".

I mean, Sony has some great PS-only franchises - but they're running the PS3 campain on titles that end in 3's, 4's and 5's.  Nintendo, on the other hand, steers clear of numbering their franchises (save Mario Party 7), because their franchises get overhauled and re-thought each generation - or, in the case of Zelda, each game.

Getting back to the point, yes, Nintendo did disappoint everyone who wanted to see Shiggy's new game, the Revolution's "Revolutionary features", and Nintendo pressure on Sony and Microsoft.  But I, on the other hand, was delighted to see clear support and new directions for the GBA, DS, GC, and Rev.  So what if they're keeping closed hand on tech specs and footage?  They're a year away on the Revolution.  It'd look worse than Perfect Dark 0 Screens.

You want a Revolution?  Wait until Nintendo says it will have an impact on the market.  I wouldn't be surprised if Twighlight Princess was released during the 360 timeframe - with a bonus disk of Revolution footage. That's market impact.
Brawl FC: TONX, 2964 - 8248 - 7611  -  PM if you add me.  Calgary, AB!