Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 273764 times)

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Re: Switch Discussion Thread (The early days)
« Reply #825 on: April 09, 2017, 07:26:32 PM »
I hope that this is just the post-launch but pre-E3 no man's land where nothing is being announced and the picture for the entire year is still largely incomplete. I haven't gotten to the point of full-on buyer's remorse but man, the thought of waiting 2 more months just to find out what else is being made for this console is dire.

I was going to leave these remarks alone but just can't. I think it's because I've been on the fence as much as anybody, but I'm clinging to the fact that all of the news for Switch is overwhelmingly positive. In spite of the drought of third party game announcements, Nintendo clearly has a strong gameplan for this year.

March 3rd - Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
April 28th - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
June - ARMS
August - Splatoon 2
Fall - Fire Emblem Warriors
Holidays - Super Mario Odyssey
Holidays - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I really believe there is an intentional lean towards multiplayer this summer and fall in preparation for their paid subscription service. My gut cautions me on believing there will be no delays, especially with ARMS and Splatoon 2 and definitely with Xenoblade, but assuming that doesn't happen how could anyone have buyer's remorse with this lineup?

I'm thinking that I better see at least a few of you in Mario Kart 8 Online Battle mode, or I may start to feel a little remorse myself. I am definitely buying MK8D for the battle mode and the multiplayer racing.

I'm always satisfied seeing Nindie games get sudden release date announcements out of nowhere, such as Mr. Shifty this Thursday. With Nintendo's titles and indies, I'm more than happy with my purchase so far.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 09, 2017, 08:48:59 PM »
I've put 11 and 13 hours into XC1 and XCX respectively. I'm not even going to pretend I'll care about Chronicles 2 this time.
You are a sad, strange, little man, and you have my pity.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 09, 2017, 09:21:53 PM »
I didn't feel like reading the last 10 pages, but I skimmed and saw that Switch in on a stock X1....
that's a little disappointing and honestly a bit surprising.

What else have I missed in the last month or so? Anyone care to summarize?

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: April 09, 2017, 09:45:06 PM »
I didn't feel like reading the last 10 pages, but I skimmed and saw that Switch in on a stock X1....
that's a little disappointing and honestly a bit surprising.

What else have I missed in the last month or so? Anyone care to summarize?

Some other source did a break down of all the parts in the Switch, dock, and Joycon controllers and priced it out at (I think) $257, meaning there's currently not much wiggle room for a price drop. Unsurprisingly, the Joycons are not inexpensive.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #829 on: April 10, 2017, 12:18:52 AM »
well, any good news? or something exciting to look forward to that might actually get me to buy one sooner rather than later?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 10, 2017, 01:49:47 AM »
well, any good news? or something exciting to look forward to that might actually get me to buy one sooner rather than later?

Square Enix has been making noises about full support of the Switch
https://www.destructoid.com/square-enix-says-it-ll-prioritize-the-nintendo-switch-over-the-xbox-scorpio-429947.phtml

Hori Fight stick for Switch Revealed
https://pvplive.net/c/nintendo-switch-fight-stick-officially-revealed-by

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #831 on: April 10, 2017, 02:20:51 AM »
Re: S-E, I'll believe it when I see it.  showmethereceipts.gif

and OMG they actually brought back friend codes.... SMFH. WTF Nintendo. WWYDT!?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: April 10, 2017, 10:10:08 AM »
and OMG they actually brought back friend codes.... SMFH. WTF Nintendo. WWYDT!?
Friend Codes are still silly considering Nintendo Network IDs exist and can be linked to My Nintendo. Maybe Nintendo needed a clean break to institute yet another new system? To Nintendo's credit (and I can't believe I'm semi-defending this), Friend Codes are significantly less annoying on Switch. You only have to enter it once then your friend can just accept the request instead of having to enter your Friend Code as well. Additionally, you can connect really easily in person and if you were previously friends with someone on say Miitomo, the system will suggest that person as a friend without forcing anyone to enter a Friend Code.

Friend Codes are still hella-lame though, and the friend list isn't particularly useful right now.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #833 on: April 10, 2017, 10:41:53 AM »
A Nintendo Direct for Wednesday (4/12) has been announced. Will mostly focus on ARMS and Splatoon 2.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/851434613343895552/photo/1
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: April 10, 2017, 01:56:36 PM »
Oh sure, over a week ago I made a similar comment as Khushrenada and nobody came to my defense. But when Khushrenada does it, suddenly everyone's tripping over themselves to support him. I see how it is! I never thought I'd say this, but I guess I have to figure out how to be more like Khushrenada.

Though, similar to what Khushrenada said, the portability of the Switch doesn't interest me. When I get one, it will almost exclusively be docked. I also have a sizable backlogue so I don't need a new system right now. Splatoon 2 will be the first game I really want for the system, though I'll likely still wait for Mario Odyssey and see what kind of holiday deals there will be. Though to be fair, buying systems at launch isn't something I do, so I'd probably still wait even if Switch had Mario at launch.

The one negative is that they are charging more for the Switch version citing higher development costs even though Agent X seems to be indicating that porting games to the Switch is relatively easy than it has been for the past while on Nintendo consoles.
I believe what they cited was the higher cost of producing Switch game cards, and also that Nintendo requires the retail and eShop prices to be the same so they can't charge less for the eShop version.

Sounds like Square Enix is considering even more ports for Switch. I know a lot of people would rather see original games, like Project Octopath Traveler, and I would as well, but I think it's still encouraging that Square Enix is throwing a lot of support behind the console early.
Since I don't have the other systems then I would still be fine with this. I'd personally like to see Final Fantasy XV, though I have no idea how feasible that would actually be. Similarly, a compilation of the Final Fantasy XIII games would also be nice. I don't know if they've published something else I'd like to see. Mostly though, I'd just like them to localize the Dragon Quest games.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: April 17, 2017, 01:20:19 PM »
I think I recall some others being like me and stating they wouldn't buy-in on a Switch version of Mariokart 8 unless it was half price or less.  Just something to consider:

• If you have amazon prime, a pre-order for mariokart 8 deluxe is $47.99.
  • Mariokart 8 for Wii U currently fetches approx. $25 if you trade it in to Amazon.

I just secured a $25 copy of the Switch version based on this, which is within an acceptable price range for me.  Thought maybe it'd help someone else here.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: April 22, 2017, 10:55:01 AM »
They say never meet your heroes, but I don't care. Karen has an Instagram account.

https://www.instagram.com/whoamiamyouareme/
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 10:57:38 AM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: May 01, 2017, 02:26:29 PM »
It's recently been reported that restocks of the Nintendo Switches have been sent via air shipment.  That is a very, very costly decision, and goes to show just how much trouble Nintendo has keeping up with demand.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #838 on: May 01, 2017, 02:48:29 PM »
That's a very aggressive business decision that directly eats into the contribution margin of each sale.  Is this the only time we've seen Nintendo say, "Costs be damned"?  They usually try to cheap out on things.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #839 on: May 01, 2017, 03:28:10 PM »
In my past job, I'd ship product from overseas, and an air shipment of even a smallish package from China to the US to get it shipped within a week would cost upwards of $1,000 - $4,000.  For comparison, boat shipments are a fraction of the cost, and take 2-3 MONTHS, depending on how much issues they have going through customs.

I wonder if this'll help people understand this is Nintendo making poor demand estimates, not purposefully inducing scarcity.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: May 01, 2017, 03:52:39 PM »
Man I scratched my screen! Not from that in and out docking nonsense that I'm not sure is even real. I freakin' threw my laptop on the couch and didn't realize my Switch was there and slice! Well there are tiny scratches, one really thin one about a centimeter long and the other just a couple millimeters but its deeper.

I can feel them very clearly when I run my nail over them so I'm sending it in to Nintendo right away. I'm sure the Switch will work just fine as it is for years to come but it will bother me forever I just know it.

I hope replacing the screen won't have me lose all my 190 hour Zelda save data. Well it is on the SD card so I should be fine right?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 01, 2017, 04:06:34 PM »
In my past job, I'd ship product from overseas, and an air shipment of even a smallish package from China to the US to get it shipped within a week would cost upwards of $1,000 - $4,000.  For comparison, boat shipments are a fraction of the cost, and take 2-3 MONTHS, depending on how much issues they have going through customs.

I wonder if this'll help people understand this is Nintendo making poor demand estimates, not purposefully inducing scarcity.
I am confused by this statement as it does not reflect any of my prior experience having shipped small packages overseas.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 01, 2017, 06:17:20 PM »
Man I scratched my screen! Not from that in and out docking nonsense that I'm not sure is even real. I freakin' threw my laptop on the couch and didn't realize my Switch was there and slice! Well there are tiny scratches, one really thin one about a centimeter long and the other just a couple millimeters but its deeper.

I can feel them very clearly when I run my nail over them so I'm sending it in to Nintendo right away. I'm sure the Switch will work just fine as it is for years to come but it will bother me forever I just know it.

I hope replacing the screen won't have me lose all my 190 hour Zelda save data. Well it is on the SD card so I should be fine right?

I genuinely feel for you. Do update us on cost and outcome. If you weren't worried about your save file, I'd suggest selling the console to someone who won't care about the scratch.  ;)

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 01, 2017, 09:09:42 PM »

I am confused by this statement as it does not reflect any of my prior experience having shipped small packages overseas.

I should clarify small is relative to production quantities of a product in manufacturing or crates.  If you're talking about personally shipping a small item for personal reasons not in production volumes, it's kind of apples to oranges.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 30, 2017, 10:33:38 AM »
It's appears that Nintendo's supply constraints at this point are less about their manufacturer's production capacity, and more that they're struggling to get more components that have commonality with Apple products

Nintendo is setting an expectation with suppliers they want, and believe they can move 20M Switch units this fiscal year, but only if they can get their component constraints eased.  Probably why they're only projecting 10M units to shareholders at this time.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #845 on: May 30, 2017, 01:00:49 PM »
There's a plot twist I bet few saw coming!

Online Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 30, 2017, 01:45:54 PM »

I said it over a month ago.

Nintendo originally said they were going to ship 2 million consoles in March, they ended up producing almost a million more based on demand.  All retail accounts show the system is constantly sold out worldwide every time a new shipment is released.  There's no artificial shortage going on, they're literally getting them out as fast as they can right now.  After the 3DS and Wii U's launch, there's a reason Nintendo was more conservative this time which is why it'll take some time before they can properly meet demand.

Seriously, this is like Amiibos all over again.  These things aren't being made in Miyamoto's garage where they can just easily increase production if they want.  The factories that are making these products are making other companies products as well.  It takes time for these manufacturers to have the ability to properly product more units, especially if Nintendo want 5 times more then they were originally expecting.

This is how the real world works.  The notion that Nintendo was intentionally creating an artificial storage was always embarrassingly stupid.  When many of the suppliers Nintendo makes their products from are also making products and parts for other companies including fucking Apple, it's kind of hard for Nintendo to drastically increase production overnight. 

Even the Wii took over a year before Nintendo was finally able to meet the demand which is why we saw monster sales in 2008 of over 800k in non-holiday months throughout that year.  So yeah, don't be surprised if the Switch stays sold out throughout this year and it's not because Reggie is hording them in his basement.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 30, 2017, 02:05:30 PM »
I'm with you, Luigi Dude, my background is in supply management, and know how all this works.  But we're on a fan site, not a business discussion site, so "muh artificial shortage" comments carry more weight with a lot of people who like to jump on the Jim Sterling hate train.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #848 on: May 30, 2017, 04:09:32 PM »

I said it over a month ago.

Touche and mad props.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 31, 2017, 08:48:59 AM »
Which is why if you want to play Mario Odyssey at launch, you need to get a Switch now ASAP.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV