Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 276729 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Discussion Thread (The early days)
« Reply #800 on: April 07, 2017, 07:13:25 AM »
OH SNAP! Takashi Tokita straight up teasing on Twitter now. He had a prominent role in the development of Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger, and has handled a lot of Final Fantasy remakes and ports since then. I would be ecstatic to see something like a Final Fantasy Collection with Final Fantasy IV, V, and VI come out on Switch. It is the 30th anniversary of the series this year, so a release like that would make a lot of sense.

Would be nice if they had both the original SNES version of FFIV along with the remake for DS.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 07, 2017, 03:05:13 PM »
He's probably getting a rise out of people on Twitter. He posted a picture of a stock consumer Switch, not a dev kit. Now I'm getting articles on my news feeds about how he's supposedly teasing a new game for Switch. Internet lets itself get trolled way too easily.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 07, 2017, 03:49:33 PM »
This launch period sucks ass.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 07, 2017, 04:53:59 PM »
Good thing the Switch is backwards compati...... oh.

Yep. It's another reason why I'm surprised the Switch is selling so well right now and why I'm content waiting for awhile. 6 months from now should hopefully be a different story but for now your selection is limited.

EDIT: When does Yooka-Layle come out? If I had a Switch that would be the next game I'd be waiting for release at this point. Not sure what the quality of it will be since I haven't seen much coverage on it aside from its announcement and move to Switch from Wii U but it's a game genre I've always liked.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 04:59:20 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 07, 2017, 05:07:11 PM »
For the 1 billionth time: Yooka-Laylee is not coming to Wii U 2; only the important platforms are getting it: PC, Linux, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, Steam / GOG / PlayStation Store / Microsoft Store. It's a Kickstarter project, so funding is obviously limited and unless it does REALLY well, it probably won't get ported. If you want it, you should get it on launch, April 11, because it'll probably end up being a rare gem someday.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 07, 2017, 05:23:28 PM »
For the 1 billionth time: Yooka-Laylee is not coming to Wii U 2; only the important platforms are getting it: PC, Linux, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, Steam / GOG / PlayStation Store / Microsoft Store. It's a Kickstarter project, so funding is obviously limited and unless it does REALLY well, it probably won't get ported. If you want it, you should get it on launch, April 11, because it'll probably end up being a rare gem someday.

Whaaaaaaaaatttttt??????

Are you sure on that because when the Wii U version was cancelled, it was announced it was being moved to the Nintendo Switch as reported on by this very site.

Moreover, other gaming sites have it listed as coming to the Switch. There just hasn't been a release date set for it yet on the Switch.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 05:25:04 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 07, 2017, 05:25:39 PM »
Maybe Playtonic forgot to update their page. The internet superhighway can be a wild and unexpected place! http://www.playtonicgames.com/games/yooka-laylee/
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 07, 2017, 05:33:12 PM »
Their probably just going by the systems it is being released on for the April 11th date. The forums you can go to from their site have people talking about the Switch version and when it might be released with a chance the release date was leaked as May 2 by the site Gamerant. Plus, Wii U backers had the option to get their version for the Switch or a different console. Don't think they'd have offered the Switch as an option if they weren't going to release a copy of the game on it.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 07, 2017, 05:37:55 PM »
It's probably cancelled. They really are the new Rare.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 07, 2017, 10:25:37 PM »

Yep. It's another reason why I'm surprised the Switch is selling so well right now and why I'm content waiting for awhile. 6 months from now should hopefully be a different story but for now your selection is limited.

Have you stopped playing Zelda already?  Seriously, the average consumer who bought Breath of the Wild at launch probably isn't even half way through with it yet.  That's the advantage to having a huge open world game as their flagship.  Unlike something like Luigi's Mansion of NSMB U, Breath of the Wild has well over 100 hours of gameplay and when studies even show the average gamer plays less then 10 hours a week, Nintendo can literally get by with just this one game for over a month.

And by the time more people are done with it, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will be out.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #810 on: April 07, 2017, 11:58:05 PM »
People haven't finished Breath of the Wild yet? I guess Nintendo really is going for the casual audience.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: April 08, 2017, 12:16:17 AM »
Khush is playing BotW on Wii U and I'll be blunt, he's not missing anything with Switch right now. You even say it right here:

... Breath of the Wild has well over 100 hours of gameplay and when studies even show the average gamer plays less then 10 hours a week, Nintendo can literally get by with just this one game for over a month.

That's pretty much the reason the few third party publishers that bothered to support the Switch at launch did so with pretty weak efforts. Squeenix with the digital only Setsuna, Activision and Ubisoft with ports of games released in fall 2016. WB Games just now releasing a port of a 2013 LEGO game. Freaking Konami has done more for Nintendo than anyone else. I don't begrudge anyone who's complaining about the lack of games to play on the system right now, specially when it's contrasted by the really strong lineup from PS4 (I personally have Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier Automata waiting for me after I finish BotW)

And when Mario Kart 8 Deluxe comes out, Khush will still have access to 90% of the game's content on his Wii U.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: April 08, 2017, 12:37:26 AM »
Snake Pass and Snipper Clips

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: April 08, 2017, 10:53:00 AM »
Khush is playing BotW on Wii U and I'll be blunt, he's not missing anything with Switch right now. You even say it right here:

... Breath of the Wild has well over 100 hours of gameplay and when studies even show the average gamer plays less then 10 hours a week, Nintendo can literally get by with just this one game for over a month.

That's pretty much the reason the few third party publishers that bothered to support the Switch at launch did so with pretty weak efforts. Squeenix with the digital only Setsuna, Activision and Ubisoft with ports of games released in fall 2016. WB Games just now releasing a port of a 2013 LEGO game. Freaking Konami has done more for Nintendo than anyone else. I don't begrudge anyone who's complaining about the lack of games to play on the system right now, specially when it's contrasted by the really strong lineup from PS4 (I personally have Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier Automata waiting for me after I finish BotW)

And when Mario Kart 8 Deluxe comes out, Khush will still have access to 90% of the game's content on his Wii U.

Khush is missing out on taking these games on the go, which is one of the strongest arguments for the Switch's existence. If that doesn't matter to a specific person, in this case Khush, then Switch isn't a compelling product for him.

Having access to 90% of the games on already-existing hardware is just the way things are nowadays. It's getting pretty rare for a brand new console to launch with a killer exclusive game. But BotW is pretty damn close since Wii U is about impossible to buy brand new. And it's also basically a given that brand new consoles don't have very many games for the first few months. PS4 was in the same boat even months after launch. We're just one month into the life of this system.

But I'm seeing some positive signs (sales, increased shipment amounts), though, and I'll be near the front of the line ready to judge once E3 has come and gone. If I don't see a sh*tload of third party announcements, it'll be hard for me to justify continuing support of Nintendo--Wii U proved to me that I need more from my purchase regardless of whether I own a Playstation and/or a gaming PC.

With respect to the drought in game announcements for Switch, I suspect there are a lot more developers beginning work with Switch dev kits now. And I actually lay the blame squarely on Nintendo for there not being more games announced. In spite of all the positive feedback we heard about Switch development, I've read that Nintendo was very late with the final dev kits, and they basically left the overwhelming majority of developers waiting to begin work on Switch games until a month before launch. This is purely speculation, but I've seen a few threads suggesting it, and judging the current state it would seem plausible.

Why? Idfk. The Switch got one launch, and they had years to plan it. Idfk why Nintendo chooses to do this after years of preparation. I would expect they would be dropping free dev kits on all the major developers months ahead of time.

Anyway, I'm expecting to see a lot of common cross-platform ports popping up on Switch by year's end. Will I be disappointed? I better not be.

It's probably cancelled. They really are the new Rare.

As for Yooka-Laylee, it is most definitely confirmed for Switch. I can't imagine why there's no official release date, but it sounds like Nintendo is working directly with Playtonic on getting the port. I would imagine this game would have been ported and running within days... maybe Nintendo is raising the bar on quality expectations? Perhaps the Switch version will have a good camera and mini-map. :)

GR: How are you approaching the Nintendo Switch? What would you expect in terms of success for this specific version?

AR: It's a bit too early to go into specifics with this version, but rest assured we're working directly with Nintendo to get it out as soon as possible for our many fans and Kickstarter backers on that platform. We're big Nintendo fans here, so it's very exciting to be working on Nintendo Switch.

And as for your comments in general, Hammer Time, you sound like a friggin' troll. Or else maybe I'm missing the context? Either way, a lot of us are in wait-and-see mode regardless of whatever you say.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 11:43:58 AM by Agent-X- »

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 08, 2017, 05:21:42 PM »
Well I say to buy Yooka-Laylee immediately. There is no time like the present. 

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: April 08, 2017, 07:33:14 PM »
Well I say to buy Yooka-Laylee immediately. There is no time like the present.

Steam is my preferred platform. Otherwise, wait for Switch.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 08, 2017, 10:12:11 PM »
Everyone's talking about Khush. I feel left out. :(

I wonder what this Khush fellow actually has to say...

Have you stopped playing Zelda already?  Seriously, the average consumer who bought Breath of the Wild at launch probably isn't even half way through with it yet.  That's the advantage to having a huge open world game as their flagship.  Unlike something like Luigi's Mansion of NSMB U, Breath of the Wild has well over 100 hours of gameplay and when studies even show the average gamer plays less then 10 hours a week, Nintendo can literally get by with just this one game for over a month.

And by the time more people are done with it, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will be out.

No, I'm not done playing Zelda yet but I'm pretty sure by the end of April I will be. If I had a Switch that would pretty much be it for awhile. Not interested in the MK8 double dip although I'm sure other people who didn't own a Wii U will be which is fine. I'm not upset if that is part of the selling point for some people in the launch cycle for the Switch so far. It just wouldn't be for me. Even when a Mario Kart is brand new, it is not as hugely anticipated game as it used to be for me. It's not a game I'll play for a long period of time. Maybe I'll do a cup or two but I get tired of racing after awhile. That to me is the main thing I'm referring to when I sympathize or agree with others who have a Switch and are disappointed in the current launch line-up. Many of the games coming out now are ones that to me are designed for shorter play sessions. 1, 2, Switch, Puyo Pop Tetris, Mario Kart 8, Arms or Splatoon 2. Obviously some people will disagree and spend a lot more time playing these games in long play sessions over many days and weeks. However, in my gaming habits, I find my interest in playing them wanes after a bit and I want a break.

Whereas something like an RPG or platformer I am more likely to keep playing for a long period. Things like Xenoblade 2 or Mario Odyssey are games I'm interested in because I know I'll sink a lot of time into playing them and will want to keep playing them to completion. Right now, I've been buying a lot of games (more than I need) for Wii U and 3DS. So, I'm more than stocked when it comes to games to play right now without needing a Switch or having to wait for the coming trickle of games and can wait until the right offer comes along for me to buy a Switch. However, consumers who bought a Switch and skipped Wii U and/or 3DS don't have that option. If they own another console or Steam, they may turn their attention back to those other devices and Nintendo could also lose some of its early momentum as the Switch gets replaced by those other devices instead of feeding their current Switch enthusiasm with more content. But this is going off into other directions. I'm glad the Switch is selling well right now but I am still surprised at the demand given how much software it has and what has been announced for these first 6 months which isn't much. And while BotW definitely lets Nintendo get away with it for awhile, BotW will only carry the console so long before other gamers start to get restless which you are starting to see some grumblings of already. Maybe MK8, Splatoon 2 and ARMS do carry the console for awhile as people get into their multiplayer but that has a caveat of Nintendo needing to figure out and outline the online game plan as well.

Aw, thanks! Here. Have a free beer.

Part of that could be companies hedging their bets again with Nintendo after the Wii U failed to take off which plays into the eternal cycle of weak 3rd party offerings not selling on Nintendo consoles so why support it? Maybe they bowed out from Zelda but what major significant 3rd party games would you say have been announced after the Zelda period of March and April with a bit of May? That's when they shouldn't have to worry so much about competing with this giant hype machine of a game.

It's true. Thanks again. Although, listen. Would you happen to have $6.00 you could loan me? It turns out the beer here isn't that free....

Khush is missing out on taking these games on the go, which is one of the strongest arguments for the Switch's existence. If that doesn't matter to a specific person, in this case Khush, then Switch isn't a compelling product for him.

Yeah, I guess having played the DS and 3DS so much, seeing people go on about the portability as a selling point seems a bit weird to me. I understand that's never been so easy to play games between your TV and on the go and really this is more a factor of being Nintendo's most powerful handheld that they've ever released but I don't have that much down time when I'm out and about. I don't ride a bus or subway. I'm driving myself around so my time is occupied handling the vehicle. I live about 3 minutes from my work so I don't really need to take a gaming device into it. Nor is there a problem with playing games on my TV since I live alone. (So sad. Awww.) Moreover, if I do want to watch a TV show or movie then I'm not going to play a game at the same time. I'm not into dividing my attention like that. About the only time I'll do that is if it is a sporting event since there can be a lot of downtime in between plays and the action. Take away that selling feature along with a limited software line-up and the case to buy a Switch is probably harder to make with me.

That's why I'm glad Nintendo still went a bit crazy with their controllers as that interests me a bit more. Plus, the fact that it plays Nintendo games is basically a sale for me anyways. However, I'm content to wait until there are 5 games I definitely want to buy that have been or are about to be released. Odyssey is one of those games. BotW would have been one if I didn't have a Wii U copy. Xenoblade 2 almost is but my experience comes from X as I still have yet to play the first. It's a game I know I'll most likely buy and add to my own library but not quite a system seller yet unlike X which wowed me from the initial trailer. So, I'm definitely hoping for a good Nintendo showing at E3 to fully put me into Switch hype mode and "justify" my purchase of one.

Having access to 90% of the games on already-existing hardware is just the way things are nowadays. It's getting pretty rare for a brand new console to launch with a killer exclusive game. But BotW is pretty damn close since Wii U is about impossible to buy brand new. And it's also basically a given that brand new consoles don't have very many games for the first few months. PS4 was in the same boat even months after launch. We're just one month into the life of this system.

Good points although I've always been surprised at how well PS4 has done from its launch for the same reason that it never had much compelling software for its first 6 months or so if I recall correctly. I remember a lot of chatter about the lack of worthwhile titles through its launch and yet it just kept selling anyways on the promise of titles to come in the future. Frankly, the PS4 launch success seemed to have come mainly from that one silly video of how easy it is to loan or sell a used game for the system when one guy handed a game over to another person. It just seemed to put Microsoft in such a bad light that they never recovered any momentum they may have had leading up to the XBone release and it left the console tainted from the beginning causing a large majority to choose PS4 over XB1. Nintendo's been fortunate to avoid such a situation with the Switch though their January press release did seem to come close to causing an issue of, let's say, gamer fury.

Hammer Time, you sound like a friggin' troll.

Just stop! Hammer Time!

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: April 09, 2017, 10:55:19 AM »
Part of PS4's success (and Xbox 360's for that matter) has been the ability for them to appeal to what the public wants, instead of coming in with a "trust us, this is really what you want" attitude (remember "rumble is last-gen"?). So while the launch lineup was extremely weak and last-gen port heavy, they still had the trust of fans and consumers that they were doing right for them, they had exclusive titles in the works and it was proven that their console was the more powerful of the two. And when both consoles are deep into the hardware arms race that last factor matters a lot.

I hope that this is just the post-launch but pre-E3 no man's land where nothing is being announced and the picture for the entire year is still largely incomplete. I haven't gotten to the point of full-on buyer's remorse but man, the thought of waiting 2 more months just to find out what else is being made for this console is dire.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: April 09, 2017, 03:02:38 PM »
Well reading the full comments from Square's President committing to huge Switch support gives me hope for the future. I think E3 will be the opening of the floodgates on new games.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 09, 2017, 03:24:18 PM »
Also just read where Sumo Digital stated it took just 7 days to get Snake Pass up and running on the Switch. I'm seeing similar comments from other developers as well.

On a side note, I am not seeing similar comments from Playtonic regarding Yooka Laylee. In fact, I'm hearing it has performance issues on PS4. I've lost most of my enthusiasm for this game.

I believe we are going to begin hearing about a lot of games coming to Switch. I'm not sure why we aren't getting more announcements but have to believe that there will be an uptick in interest for this platform considering just how easy porting will be. "Port from PC to Switch in Unreal engine at the push of a single button" easy.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: April 09, 2017, 04:31:19 PM »
I hope that this is just the post-launch but pre-E3 no man's land where nothing is being announced and the picture for the entire year is still largely incomplete. I haven't gotten to the point of full-on buyer's remorse but man, the thought of waiting 2 more months just to find out what else is being made for this console is dire.

I was going to leave these remarks alone but just can't. I think it's because I've been on the fence as much as anybody, but I'm clinging to the fact that all of the news for Switch is overwhelmingly positive. In spite of the drought of third party game announcements, Nintendo clearly has a strong gameplan for this year.

March 3rd - Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
April 28th - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
June - ARMS
August - Splatoon 2
Fall - Fire Emblem Warriors
Holidays - Super Mario Odyssey
Holidays - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I really believe there is an intentional lean towards multiplayer this summer and fall in preparation for their paid subscription service. My gut cautions me on believing there will be no delays, especially with ARMS and Splatoon 2 and definitely with Xenoblade, but assuming that doesn't happen how could anyone have buyer's remorse with this lineup?

I'm thinking that I better see at least a few of you in Mario Kart 8 Online Battle mode, or I may start to feel a little remorse myself. I am definitely buying MK8D for the battle mode and the multiplayer racing.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 04:32:53 PM by Agent-X- »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: April 09, 2017, 05:24:50 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 isn't coming out this year.

And even though I WISH ARMS was coming out in May, you're probably right about a June release.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #822 on: April 09, 2017, 06:47:04 PM »
In spite of the drought of third party game announcements, Nintendo clearly has a strong gameplan for this year.

March 3rd - Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
April 28th - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
June - ARMS
August - Splatoon 2
Fall - Fire Emblem Warriors
Holidays - Super Mario Odyssey
Holidays - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

That's still less than a game a month, even with 1, 2, Switch.

As for the early life of consoles now being dominated by last gen ports, I think that might've worked better for the PS4, since it was competing against the Xb1 in its early days as well.  But the Switch is competing with both systems while they're hitting their strides.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: April 09, 2017, 06:53:39 PM »
One title I had noticed a couple times for the Switch and seen the box art advertised is Rime. I was watching a trailer for it. While it unfortunately now has to follow BotW on the console and could look like a lesser knockoff, I would say that it would be the game I'd want to play next as a Switch owner and after finishing Zelda what I would be waiting for next in the release schedule. I'm curious as to its critical reception on release. The one negative is that they are charging more for the Switch version citing higher development costs even though Agent X seems to be indicating that porting games to the Switch is relatively easy than it has been for the past while on Nintendo consoles.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: April 09, 2017, 07:14:25 PM »
I've put 11 and 13 hours into XC1 and XCX respectively. I'm not even going to pretend I'll care about Chronicles 2 this time.