Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 273791 times)

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Discussion Thread (The early days)
« Reply #750 on: March 31, 2017, 04:09:05 PM »
I wonder what the D-Pad solution looks like.  Is it a left JoyCon with a traditional D-pad instead of the buttons? or instead of the stick?  Do you do the same thing on the right JoyCon? Is a right d-pad JoyCon even needed?

Please God let it be the first one.
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #751 on: March 31, 2017, 04:12:23 PM »
I wonder what the D-Pad solution looks like.  Is it a left JoyCon with a traditional D-pad instead of the buttons? or instead of the stick?  Do you do the same thing on the right JoyCon? Is a right d-pad JoyCon even needed?

Please God let it be the first one.

But that wouldn't be a universal solution.  It makes the horizontal controller function of the JoyCon pretty ineffective.  And doesn't solve Nile Boogie's problem:

MY GOD THE JOY-CON NEEDS A D-PAD.

I bought KOF '98 and that game is almost impossible with a standard horizontal Joy-Con. To the point that I won't buy another arcade fighter on the system until this is fixed. I could buy a Pro Controller but that's far less elegant than an actual D-Pad. I've only played on other game (Zelda) and of course there is no problem there.

A stick and connected D-pad don't make for a good controller by themselves.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 31, 2017, 05:15:47 PM »
I would pay for a pair of vanilla Joy-Cons, D-Pad with no HD rumble and no analog stick.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 31, 2017, 05:40:11 PM »
I still don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by not having a Switch.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 31, 2017, 05:52:12 PM »
NickMitch, I agree that a D-Pad doesn't make ideal buttons, but neither do buttons make an ideal D-Pad.  By choosing to sacrifice the D-Pad, the basic functionality of portable mode is nerfed.  Games that work with the little sideways pads tend to be simple enough that a D-Pad wouldn't be too bad.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #755 on: March 31, 2017, 10:20:06 PM »
That's true.  You have kinda have to go for one or the other with what Nintendo wanted to do.  Thinking about it, the Dualshock D-pad design might've been better for this concept.  The design is close enough to make for an effective D-pad while having some space to make distinct buttons.  Nintendo might've just gone too far in the button direction.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 01, 2017, 12:15:15 AM »
Pre-purchase rationalization. Happens to the worst of us, but man is it satisfying to see people pretend to not-care.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 01, 2017, 12:37:21 AM »
Oh! People are still talking about the Switch? I thought that fad was over now that everyone's beat Zelda in under an hour and moved on.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 01, 2017, 11:15:42 AM »
Second time my Switch has just decided not to connect to the internet unless I power down the unit entirely and reboot it. It's very annoying to have to remove the Switch from the dock, power the unit down and then turn it back on and then test the internet settings. This needs be fixed soon.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 01, 2017, 11:21:45 AM »
I hear the Switch is picky about who tries to connect to the internet. Like, if they are fans of bad Fire Emblem characters, it's likely the console won't connect.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 01, 2017, 12:15:37 PM »
Pre-purchase rationalization. Happens to the worst of us, but man is it satisfying to see people pretend to not-care.
Post-purchase rationalization. Happens to the worst of us, but man is it satisfying to see people try to justify their purchases. :P

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 01, 2017, 01:33:13 PM »
I hear the Switch is picky about who tries to connect to the internet. Like, if they are fans of bad Fire Emblem characters, it's likely the console won't connect.

Hey! Dorcas is a GREAT Fire Emblem character!

But more seriously, I had that issue happen to me once. I think it has to do with how IP addresses are assigned. Like your network gives IP X to the Switch, but it goes to sleep and is not connected to the internet, and while it is asleep that IP is assigned to a new device like your phone, then the Switch wakes up and tries to get on the network with the phone's IP and gets an error.

Rebooting fixes the issue, but it really should self resolve. They should be able to fix it in a system update, and also resolve the "freeze" issue in Breath of the Wild which is caused by a network check. those are the biggest issues I see that can be quick-fixed in an a system update.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 01, 2017, 02:24:04 PM »
Post-purchase rationalization. Happens to the worst of us, but man is it satisfying to see people try to justify their purchases. :P
Post-embarrassed-by-post-deflection. Happens to the worst of us, but man is it satisfying to see people lash out after they've been called out for their pre-purchase rationalization.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 01, 2017, 02:46:23 PM »
Post-embarrassed-by-post-deflection. Happens to the worst of us, but man is it satisfying to see people lash out after they've been called out for their pre-purchase rationalization.
Post-defensive-post-embarrassed-by-post-deflection. Happens to the worst of us, but man is it satisfying to see people continue lashing out after they've been called out for their post-purchase rationalization defense. ;)

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 01, 2017, 03:12:30 PM »
Post-defensive-post-embarrassed-by-post-deflection. Happens to the worst of us, but man is it satisfying to see people continue lashing out after they've been called out for their post-purchase rationalization defense. ;)
Post-desperately-attempting-to-continue-already-tired-joke. Happens to the worst of us, but man is it satisfying to see one's own genius blatantly ripped off for the second time, with an emoticon at the end, no less.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: April 01, 2017, 03:32:49 PM »
Post-desperately-attempting-to-continue-already-tired-joke. Happens to the worst of us, but man is it satisfying to see one's own genius blatantly ripped off for the second time, with an emoticon at the end, no less.
Post-desperately-attempting-to-continue-already-tired-joke-because-I-tend-to-take-things-too-far-post-defensive-post-embarrassed-by-post-deflection. Happens to the best of the worst of us, but woman is it satisfying to see someone's genius blatantly ripped off for the second time and then for the third time, with an emoticon at the end, no less. :D ;) :P

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 01, 2017, 03:57:53 PM »
Post-desperately-attempting-to-continue-already-tired-joke-because-I-tend-to-take-things-too-far-post-defensive-post-embarrassed-by-post-deflection. Happens to the best of the worst of us, but woman is it satisfying to see someone's genius blatantly ripped off for the second time and then for the third time, with an emoticon at the end, no less. :D ;) :P
I believe this speaks for itself.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 01, 2017, 04:01:41 PM »
Post-purchase rationalization. Happens to the worst of us, but man is it satisfying to see people try to justify their purchases. :P:
Post-desperately-attempting-to-continue-already-tired-joke-because-I-tend-to-take-things-too-far-post-defensive-post-embarrassed-by-post-deflection. Happens to the best of the worst of us, but woman is it satisfying to see someone's genius blatantly ripped off for the second time and then for the third time, with an emoticon at the end, no less. :D ;) :P:
Post-shrugging-off-post-desperately-attempting-to-continue-already-tired-joke-because-I-tend-to-take-things-too-far-post-defensive-post-embarrassed-by-post-deflection. Happens to the best of the worst of us, but woman is it satisfying to see someone's genius blatantly ripped off for the second time and then for the third time, now with a fourth time and wishing I would shut up, with an emoticon at the end, no less. I'll probably be moderated eventually for junking up this thread, but it was fun until then. :D ;) :P:

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 01, 2017, 04:05:49 PM »
Post-purchase rationalization. Happens to the worst of us, but man is it satisfying to see people try to justify their purchases. :P:
Post-desperately-attempting-to-continue-already-tired-joke-because-I-tend-to-take-things-too-far-post-defensive-post-embarrassed-by-post-deflection. Happens to the best of the worst of us, but woman is it satisfying to see someone's genius blatantly ripped off for the second time and then for the third time, with an emoticon at the end, no less. :D ;) :P:
Post-shrugging-off-post-desperately-attempting-to-continue-already-tired-joke-because-I-tend-to-take-things-too-far-post-defensive-post-embarrassed-by-post-deflection. Happens to the best of the worst of us, but woman is it satisfying to see someone's genius blatantly ripped off for the second time and then for the third time, now with a fourth time and wishing I would shut up, with an emoticon at the end, no less. I'll probably be moderated eventually for junking up this thread, but it was fun until then. :D ;) :P:
Long-statement-with-dashes-between-each-word. Occurs in specific cases in which one is inferior to myself, but gender issues is the feeling wholesome when the person in question continues to use keyboard graphics in order to hide the fact said person still hasn't bought a Switch, and therefore cannot contribute anything meaningful to the discussion. Unless a quote pyramid is considered meaningful, in which case, carry on.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 01, 2017, 04:08:09 PM »
Long-statement-with-dashes-between-each-word. Occurs in specific cases in which one is superior to myself, but gender issues is the feeling wholesome when the person in question continues to use keyboard graphics in order to hide the fact said person still hasn't bought a Switch, and therefore cannot contribute anything meaningful to the discussion. Unless a quote pyramid is considered meaningful, in which case, carry on.
Yeah, I could do this all day, hee hee.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 01, 2017, 04:27:24 PM »
Long-statement-with-dashes-between-each-word. Occurs in specific cases in which one is superior to myself, but gender issues is the feeling wholesome when the person in question continues to use keyboard graphics in order to hide the fact said person still hasn't bought a Switch, and therefore cannot contribute anything meaningful to the discussion. Unless a quote pyramid is considered meaningful, in which case, carry on.
You're two posts behind, I already made a "gives-up-the-standard-format-for-a-brief-witty-comment" post.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 01, 2017, 04:34:22 PM »
You're two posts behind, I already made a "gives-up-the-standard-format-for-a-brief-witty-comment" post.
Oh, right. Long-rebuttal-to-refute-long-statement-with-dashes-between-each-word. Occurs in specific cases in which asserting one's superiority actually shows inferiority, but random incomplete gender issues comment is the feeling wholesome when the person in question continues to use keyboard graphics in order to hide the fact said person bought a Switch, and still cannot contribute anything meaningful to the discussion. Unless a quote pyramid is considered meaningful, in which case, we're all in trouble.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 01, 2017, 04:58:52 PM »
Oh, right. Long-rebuttal-to-refute-long-statement-with-dashes-between-each-word. Occurs in specific cases in which asserting one's superiority actually shows inferiority, but random incomplete gender issues comment is the feeling wholesome when the person in question continues to use keyboard graphics in order to hide the fact said person bought a Switch, and still cannot contribute anything meaningful to the discussion. Unless a quote pyramid is considered meaningful, in which case, we're all in trouble.
"We're all in trouble?" Hardly. Also, the gender issues comment came from the repeated use, and then one-time use, of "man" and "woman" respectively. Close reading is an important skill in quote pyramids, I suggest you brush up.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 01, 2017, 05:09:22 PM »
"We're all in trouble?" Hardly. Also, the gender issues comment came from the repeated use, and then one-time use, of "man" and "woman" respectively. Close reading is an important skill in quote pyramids, I suggest you brush up.
Ah, the wording made it seem incomplete. I suggest jokes should be more clear, hee hee.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 01, 2017, 05:57:03 PM »
I'll probably be moderated eventually for junking up this thread, but it was fun until then. :D ;) :P:

I'm going to allow it.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.