Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 273842 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Discussion Thread (The early days)
« Reply #700 on: March 14, 2017, 01:57:38 PM »
It could be down ported as Underwatch... /badGamerPuns
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 14, 2017, 02:20:48 PM »
Jeff Kaplan, of Overwatch and Developer Update meme fame, loves the Switch (the 3DS as well) and is very coy about Overwatch on Switch even though he is open enough to tell people it would be a real challenge to get the game on the console.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5z9foq/jeff_kaplan_game_director_for_overwatch_on/

I sincerely doubt Overwatch will be ported to the Switch.

I CAN DREAM, DAMNIT!
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 14, 2017, 03:06:22 PM »
It could be down ported as Underwatch... /badGamerPuns

Or maybe even Levelwatch.

What's so bad about Equalwatch?

And is there a problem with Balancedwatch?

Seems there are other options before we have to accept Underwatch...
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 15, 2017, 12:10:54 PM »
The Switch is so half-baked even precious parental controls have pretty big loopholes.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/hey_kids_you_can_hide_nintendo_switch_playtime_from_your_parents_by_going_offline

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #704 on: March 15, 2017, 05:23:41 PM »
You would think the play time limits would be saved to the console's memory.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: March 15, 2017, 06:09:35 PM »
Thanks to the launch of the Switch, it seems a lot of people are trading in games to get the new console so it's a good time to be buying used games from Gamestop or EBGames. At least it feels that way to me. I've been buying up a lot of games at a discounted price for my never-ending backlog and collection. A lot of stuff from the past couple years I've been holding off on as the price of games has increased along with some new recently released stuff.

Since the launch of the Switch, I've been stopping in at various locations to check stock. I've been to 7 locations at different times of the week and every time I've been in one even during a short 5 minute stay, someone has come in and asked one of the staff members if they have a Switch console in. The answer is to always check in during April (why Nintendo needs another month to restock is classic Nintendo) but the fact that so many people are looking for one is still a refreshing change of pace. The only thing it reminds me of is the Wii since all other console and handheld launches haven't really had a problem with availability or seemed to have so many customer inquiries on acquiring a Nintendo unit.

Even with some of the negatives people have wanted to focus on as we approached launch and post-launch, it doesn't seem to have slowed down the momentum of the system. I guess we'll see what happens over time and it's a shame Nintendo couldn't take advantage of more consumer spending right now while its fresh and new but maybe we'll see another spending spree happen for it during the holidays when the games library is fleshed out more. Yet, I'm getting a vibe that the Switch should at least do N64 numbers in sales and even Super Nintendo level sales seem feasible at this point. I'm really curious how the system will be doing after a year and to see just how popular it is going to be. So far, the launch for the Switch seems to be moving along very successfully aside from not having enough quantity for demand.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 16, 2017, 11:40:30 AM »

Confirmed: Switch uses a stock Tegra X1. No custom anything. That's disappointing.

http://techinsights.com/about-techinsights/overview/blog/nintendo-switch-teardown/

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 16, 2017, 12:04:27 PM »
The cooling solution for it seems custom and impressive, though.  Still, from the moment I held it and used it, it was clear that it was overpriced.  I will be more conservative with buying future revisions at launch, but in this case I no longer have access to a Wii U and wanted Zelda ASAP.  It is hard not to love a portable BotW machine, and the bar has been set very low for handhelds in the past.  I am curious to see how other companies will respond.  Microsoft in particular could probably make a killer competitor.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: March 16, 2017, 12:07:20 PM »
Confirmed: Switch uses a stock Tegra X1. No custom anything. That's disappointing.

http://techinsights.com/about-techinsights/overview/blog/nintendo-switch-teardown/
Strange. I was mildly curious why Nintendo didn't try to knock the price down to $250 if Switch is using stock parts, but then I remembered this is the same Nintendo that is selling extra docks for $90 and couldn't be bothered to just include an Ethernet port.

If there's a silver lining, Nintendo could conceivably drop an X2 or X3 in a New/Pro model and/or successor and call it a day. Custom chips cost more and take time to develop. Still, this would only really help Nintendo because it wouldn't pass those savings to consumers.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #709 on: March 16, 2017, 12:52:11 PM »
. . . the bar has been set very low for handhelds in the past.  I am curious to see how other companies will respond.  Microsoft in particular could probably make a killer competitor.

I'm not sure if it's fair to say that the bar has been set low, but the Switch definitely kicks it up a notch.  Sony has favored performance in their handhelds, so a response from them would be most interesting, especially coming off the Vita (if they decide to follow up with new hardware).  I think Microsoft would stay out of the handheld market.  The most I could see them doing is pushing XBL games on Surface tablets and the XB1 controller support.  Or maybe even pushing Steam on the Surface.

Adrock's comment makes me think of what kind of hardware revisions will we see with the Switch.  Personally, I think a "Switch Mini" (smaller, better battery, no detachable joycon) and a "Switch Pro" (dock only, slightly more power) aren't totally out of the question in the future.  Certainly, nothing would be announced for at least a year, however.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 16, 2017, 01:42:36 PM »
Are spare docks really $90? Ouch, and I thought the controllers were pricey.
My Game Collection

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 17, 2017, 03:13:27 AM »
Takashi Mochizuki of the WSJ is reporting that Nintendo plans to at least double their production of the Switch for the upcoming fiscal year (April 1, 2017 to March 31, 2018), which would bump it to at least 16 million. Initial sales have obviously been strong (which isn't surprising for launch, yeah), and I think Nintendo is rightly confident about the broad appeal of the console and their software planning this time around, but for this to be true I think Nintnedo would need some big E3 announcements like Pokemon and/or Smash lined up. That's a big number for a company that has tended to play it safe recently.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 17, 2017, 03:15:43 AM »
I was just about to post that news too. I think it is pretty good.
They must be very confident if they are doubling it to more than the Wii U sold in its whole life time

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 17, 2017, 05:57:42 AM »
Nintendo has some strong ability to lower the price of the system. 24 months we'll probably see a Switch upgrade. This is going to depend on how good nvidia can develop the battery life of their future chips. If nvidia can do that than the handheld unit will get upgraded. If they can't then there could be a dock upgrade. Nintendo has a scalability advantage.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #714 on: March 17, 2017, 12:12:30 PM »
Takashi Mochizuki of the WSJ is reporting that Nintendo plans to at least double their production of the Switch for the upcoming fiscal year (April 1, 2017 to March 31, 2018), which would bump it to at least 16 million. Initial sales have obviously been strong (which isn't surprising for launch, yeah), and I think Nintendo is rightly confident about the broad appeal of the console and their software planning this time around, but for this to be true I think Nintnedo would need some big E3 announcements like Pokemon and/or Smash lined up. That's a big number for a company that has tended to play it safe recently.

I think the doubled production points to Nintendo feeling ready to announce something like Pokemon and Smash (or both) for the up coming year.  The fact that they're making this decision before MK8D is even out means they have to have another ace up their sleeve.  And Pokemon has to be one of the biggest (if not the biggest) console moving IPs they own.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: March 17, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »
Yeah, they almost have a release schedule that gives us one game a month. Would not be surprised if we saw Pokemon, Smash, and more fill out the current empty months with software. Now that the system is out the gate, we'll be seeing the product of their merging console and handheld divisions, and logically that should mean more games in the near future.
My Game Collection

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 18, 2017, 03:05:01 AM »
Now that I think about it, I wouldnt want to buy an upgraded Switch, unless it was much cheaper.
$250 (AUD) for the XL and $220 for New 3DS is much more reasonable than $470 for Switch.

Unless it was significantly improved, I wouldnt pay more than $300 for an updated Switch
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 03:08:01 AM by Lemonade »

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 18, 2017, 09:49:37 AM »

Strange. I was mildly curious why Nintendo didn't try to knock the price down to $250 if Switch is using stock parts, but then I remembered this is the same Nintendo that is selling extra docks for $90 and couldn't be bothered to just include an Ethernet port.

If there's a silver lining, Nintendo could conceivably drop an X2 or X3 in a New/Pro model and/or successor and call it a day. Custom chips cost more and take time to develop. Still, this would only really help Nintendo because it wouldn't pass those savings to consumers.

I wouldn't go as far as to say everything is stock or that there is nothing custom. The chip itself is stock, but there may be a lot of upfront capital expense on the software side of this thing. I don't think Nvidia marketing straight up lied about the number of man-years or that this thing is custom, and software is not cheap especially hardware drivers and SDK's.

Anecdotally, the sound in Breath of the Wild is really dang good.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: March 18, 2017, 10:58:54 AM »

I wouldn't go as far as to say everything is stock or that there is nothing custom. The chip itself is stock, but there may be a lot of upfront capital expense on the software side of this thing. I don't think Nvidia marketing straight up lied about the number of man-years or that this thing is custom, and software is not cheap especially hardware drivers and SDK's.
I wouldn't and didn't either. When Nvidia stated, "The development encompassed 500 man-years of effort across every facet of creating a new gaming platform: algorithms, computer architecture, system design, system software, APIs, game engines and peripherals," it probably included its own in-house development before Nintendo was in the picture.

Using stock parts isn't necessarily a negative. There are pros and cons. I find it a little disappointing that Nintendo didn't price Switch more aggressively. $300 is okay, and I, personally, found it reasonable since I paid it. However, I thought $250 was the magic number for the general consumer. That's the price I think fence-sitters would have been more likely to commit. Nintendo isn't really feeling that now as Switch just launched.

Anyway, it's entirely possible and probable that we've seen the end of traditional generations. I can see Nintendo introducing a hardware update in 2019 with Nintendo abandoning support every other hardware release. That means, you would have to upgrade at least every four years for full compatibility with the latest software releases. To compare, that's a little more generous than Apple which I think typically goes back three years (current plus previous two models) as far as updates go. The problem is most people use smartphones more than gaming devices. I wonder if Nintendo can succeed with this model. The point I'm trying to make is keeping the price down makes these kinds of hardware upgrades more palpable.

I mean, I'll probably upgrade every time because I'm an asshole when it comes to Nintendo hardware. I'm the outlier though.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 19, 2017, 09:06:01 PM »
So we've heard that Capcom, didn't like the original amount of RAM in the Switch and asked Nintendo to increase it. Nintendo then bumped up the RAM to 4gb. Apparently Capcom plans to port its new RE Engine to the Switch. This is the engine that Resident Evil 7 uses and Capcom plans to make more games based on this engine.

http://nintendoeverything.com/more-talk-of-nintendo-improving-switchs-memory-and-capcom-targeting-re-engine-for-switch/

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: March 19, 2017, 09:30:08 PM »
Since the launch of the Switch, I have bought the following:

Wii U

Sonic Lost World
Game & Wario
New Remix Pack
Just Dance 2015
Just Dance 2016
Just Dance 2017

3DS

Virtue's Last Reward
Zero Time Dilemma
Pokémon Sun
Pokémon Moon
Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest
The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes
Metroid Prime: Federation Force
Harvest Moon: A New Beginning
Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of a Forgotten Past
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins

All of this has still cost me less than buying a Switch. Normally, I wouldn't have bought so much at one time but the Gamestop equivalent of Canada has had a special sale going on since March 3 that is running until April 2 which is that if you buy 2 used games then you get the 3rd one free. Used games are cheaper than brand new copies plus if you have a high enough membership card, you can get a bit more of the price. If I take the price of 2 games and divide it over the three, it makes for a price point I would gladly take if they were sold at that cost individually. The highest price labelled for the games (and majority labelled price for the games) I bought is $35.99. 2 games at that price with tax is just over $80 but when I take that total and divide it over 3 games, that comes to about $26.87 with tax per game which is about 50% off the normal price as most of these games are retailing at $49.99 CAD and that's before tax. The only thing is that I have to buy a bunch of games at once to take advantage of the price compared to if it was just a 50% off sale for one or two titles. However, having not really purchased a lot of games the past couple years because of the rising price of games, (3DS games used to sell around the $35.00 mark with some games $5.00 above or below that depending on the title) I'd held off on buying stuff until a found a price point I was happy with. Being able to now reach this price point, I've begun taking advantage of it. It's probably helped that with the launch of the Switch, some people have traded in newer games or at least good copies of them so that I've been able to pick up some of the newer released titles at a good price.

Ironically, the one 3DS game I probably most want has been one I've yet to see used anywhere despite checking 7 EBGames stores in my local and surrounding area and that is Kirby: Planet Robobot. I'm also ticked I missed Best Buy's discount of Paper Jam for $14.97 which is a killer good price. Likewise, there have been no copies of Paper Jam for me to pick up in this deal yet either.

Anyways, thought I'd bring this up in case others have the means to take advantage of it as I think it is worth it. The only problem can be when you can find 2 games you want but can't really find a 3rd. I wasn't really interested in Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins and only picked it up because the store I was in couldn't find the copy of Mario and Sonic at the 2014 Sochi Olympics despite having the case on the shelf. It was the only thing priced right with the other games I was buying and that I thought might have been ok reviewed (it did become a Nintendo select title) to purchase aside from getting something I already owned and trying to sell off the extra copy later. At this point, my last dream find would be a store that has Planet Robobot, Paper Jam and Story of Seasons although I'd be willing to consider Mario Party: Star Rush, some other Harvest Moon titles, Hatsune Miku Project, or even remakes like Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World.

At this point, for the Wii U, I think the only titles I'm still looking to buy are:

Ducktales Remastered
Pokken Tournament
Super Mario Maker
(depends on price because I still wonder how long online services will last and then one can no longer play other people's creations)

The following are games I'd be open to buying but not worried if it doesn't happen since I clearly have more than enough to play from these recent purchases:

Mario and Sonic at the Olympics 2014 and/or 2016 (Haven't played any of the M&SatO games but Phil and I think Mop it up seem to be fairly positive about them so I'd be willing to give them a try)

Twilight Princess HD (my initial thought was pass on this title since I have the GC version and I just didn't see myself ever revisiting this game but BotW has me re-energized in Zelda that I'm now curious to try this again with a game in the height of the old style of dungeon and Zelda design but I still might pass since I've got the GC version to replay if I need to)

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (ShyGuy seemed impressed by it back in the day if I recall. Can't say it interests me too much but it look nice and it's a different type of game than I normally play)

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (why not? I hear it's only medicore and not outright terrible like other Sonic games. As well, I hear and think it doesn't take long to beat so I may not have to make it sit long in my backlog. Sometimes it's nice to have a simple game to quickly complete.)

Sonic All-Star Racing (I hear it's actually good and was the Kart racing game of choice before MK8 took over that title as expected.)

Lego Batman 3 (I bought the 2nd one of Wii U because it was under $10 despite not owning the first. Haven't played it to know what the quality is like but it's almost at the same price point being around $13.00)

Epic Mickey 2 (I know this didn't get good reviews when it came out at the start of the Wii U's life span and the Epic Mickey franchise since died after 2 middling games but part of me is still intrigued by the property to pick it up anyways at a low cost despite not playing the first)

Splatoon (That's right. Lumped with all these other games is Splatoon. I really don't play Shooter/combat type games that this is styled off of nor am I much of an online gamer. With those 2 factors along with the fact that the single player mode is relatively short means I'm unsure I'd really like this title. And with Splatoon 2 soon releasing on Switch, it could be the more Splatoon players carry on playing it there making the Wii U version and online crowd more obsolete. Probably not going to happen at this point)

If anyone wants to chime in on whether something is worth buying or skipping on these Wii U titles, I'm open to hearing about it.

I think you should stop spending so much on videogames :D ;D
Yeah, that's not happening anytime soon. Any other suggestions?

Sorry, there's not a whole lot of reason for me to post this here but ever since I made the original post in the Recent Gaming Purchase thread it has now been replied to and quoted in two completely different threads so I just thought I should keep the trend going and have this post appear in yet another thread.

To answer Pokepal's question, I'd suggest buying a Switch because you'll soon run out of games to buy for it and even if you bought everything currently released on it I don't think it will equal the number of games I've listed.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #721 on: March 20, 2017, 05:09:00 AM »
I like Twilight Princess HD a lot over prior versions if not for finding other things other than rupees in chests, such as Miiverse stamps. It's fun to try to collect them all. Plus, if you have too many rupees (i.e. a full wallet), you are free to open the chest and have it emptied regardless.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 20, 2017, 03:10:41 PM »
Seiken Densetsu 3 (a Mana series entry which never got localized) is running on the Switch. I've seen some people lavish praise on this game, so I'll be interested even if it's Japan only.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 20, 2017, 10:59:01 PM »
Yeah, fans laud it as a lost SNES gem equal to Chrono Trigger and FF6.
My Game Collection

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 21, 2017, 04:01:30 AM »
Game Freak is hiring a 3D modeler to help develop a "globally popular RPG" involving monsters. Must have experiends with Wii U and Vita for a "new console experience".

Don't know about you, but this just screams Pokemon Switch. Though if they are just now hiring a modeler it may not be for a long while.
My Game Collection