Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 273764 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Discussion Thread (The early days)
« Reply #675 on: March 07, 2017, 05:40:20 PM »
First comparison of a third party game. Dragon Quest Heroes Switch/PS4/Vita comparison.

Differences in textures and shadows. Resolution matches PS4 in docked mode, but most assets seems to be taken from the PS3 version.

Unfortunately the Switch version is way behind the PS4 version in terms of framerate. PS4 runs 60fps or close to it while the Switch struggles to get to 30fps in heavy combat.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 07, 2017, 08:25:47 PM »
What I imagine happened is the Wii U team made the Switch version. The Switch version is probably not too different then a Wii U version that would have existed.

We cannot judge Switch by it's first generation games.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 07, 2017, 08:27:07 PM »
What I imagine happened is the Wii U team made the Switch version. The Switch version is probably not too different then a Wii U version that would have existed.

We cannot judge Switch by it's first generation games.

True.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Wanderlei

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 07, 2017, 10:01:22 PM »
PS4 version prolly been in development for much longer than Switch version.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 07, 2017, 11:34:55 PM »
They were probably in development for a long time, but it was probably way easier to port a shelved wii u version than to optimize a ps4 version for switch. People have been using this game for comparisons, but it isn't a good example.
Like you really wouldn't expect even a Wii U to ps4 version to have much of a difference in the way of polygons. The big performance differences would be on shaders and lighting effects.

When working on so many versions of the game it is going to be hard to keep track of everything. As far as frame-rate goes I'm willing to bet it has more to do with the AI programming causing the cpu to chug. This guy suggests cutting some graphics stuff, but he doesn't know ****. They should program the engine on switch from the ground up and port the graphical assets.

The Switch is actually a good deal more powerful than wii u. In this video you can see the main difference in this game and that game is framerate and lighting. Geometry is pretty much the same. There is some wii u stuff that looks better because of the longer development time. The lighting onthe ps4 is overall superior though. Watchdogs on wii u chugged anytime there was a physics collision. This was because of the slow cpu.

Ps4 is really powerful, but developers are in no way using the system as efficiently as they could. There is some overhead that they won't reach up to because not all programmers were super efficient.

Hyrule warriors runs at a really identical framerate though and has a whole ton more enemies on screen. The game backgrounds are pretty barren, but the enemies are really detailed.

Though Zelda is somewhat of a poor thing to grab framerates from as the action stylistically stops when link hits something.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 08, 2017, 07:13:36 AM »
The Switch's WiFi signal is annoyingly weak. The system sits at arms length from my router and I cannot get full bars on my signal. I would need to sit them right next to each other to get a full signal. I know it's sitting next to all my other game consoles and my computer but that's really no excuse. Even in my office where my Mac Book Pro gets just over half a signal on the company's public wifi, the Switch will struggle to find that signal. Not good for a system dependent of WiFi.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 08, 2017, 05:29:08 PM »
So the Switch does have a sort of Activity Log on the system after all. It seems like a week after you play a game on your system for the first time, the "first played (insert number) days ago" message on your profile changes to display the number of hours you've played that game (increasing in increments of five hours). Between this and the parental controls app, it's pretty clear that the system is tracking your playtime for each game, so hopefully a more fully-featured Activity Log is one of the apps that will come later in the year. The Activity Log was one of my favorite smaller features on the 3DS and Wii U, so I do really hope that ends up being the case.

The Switch's WiFi signal is annoyingly weak. The system sits at arms length from my router and I cannot get full bars on my signal. I would need to sit them right next to each other to get a full signal. I know it's sitting next to all my other game consoles and my computer but that's really no excuse. Even in my office where my Mac Book Pro gets just over half a signal on the company's public wifi, the Switch will struggle to find that signal. Not good for a system dependent of WiFi.

I've been able to get a full signal just fine with my router sitting in a different room, but my Wii U and PS4 are unplugged at the moment so maybe that would change if I had those connected as well.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 08, 2017, 06:22:15 PM »
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 08, 2017, 08:34:22 PM »
When do we here about the Thursday eShop releases?

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 08, 2017, 09:01:46 PM »
When do we here about the Thursday eShop releases?

Tomorrow morning usually. But Blaster Master Zero and Voez have already been confirmed.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 09:06:03 PM by Soren »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 08, 2017, 11:41:14 PM »
NintendoLife has some truly bad details about those replacement docks that Nintendo put on sale and then yanked almost immediately. Emphasis mine:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/dont_buy_another_switch_dock_just_yet

These are the dock only, meaning you'll need to purchase an AC adapter and HDMI cable separately if they're not being used as a replacement for an otherwise malfunctioning or damaged dock

Upon receiving the Switch dock units, we realized something was amiss. Rather than arriving in a box, the two docks were wrapped in bubble wrap and shoved into a courier envelope. It should then come as no surprise that we had issues with both docks we received as well.

Upon removing the docks from their bubble wrap, we found that both of them were quite snug around our Switch; so snug were they, in fact, that we feared they may scratch the unit, as some players have been reporting online.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 09, 2017, 02:53:07 AM »
so glad I decided to ride the bench on this launch.
I'll probably wait till summer... or Xmas.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 10, 2017, 12:01:13 AM »
so glad I decided to ride the bench on this launch.
I'll probably wait till summer... or Xmas.

I get it, But playing BOTW on break at the office or waiting for the train is rock solid bro! I haven't Day One'd a console since GameCube but I've got no regrets so far. I don't dock the Switch since I also have BotW on Wii U, this has been an exclusive handheld, and as an upgrade to the 3DS it's like heaven. Even coming from Vita, this thing is a gem from me.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 10, 2017, 12:48:41 AM »
I made myself a Japanese account so I could get access to the Japanese eShop. I downloaded the demo of Dragon Quest Heroes, it looks pretty good, but I can't understand what anyone is saying...

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #689 on: March 10, 2017, 02:31:16 AM »
Japanese Mario Kart 8 Deluxe overview that shows off new battle arenas:

Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: March 10, 2017, 03:34:51 PM »
I made myself a Japanese account so I could get access to the Japanese eShop. I downloaded the demo of Dragon Quest Heroes, it looks pretty good, but I can't understand what anyone is saying...

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/japanese_katakana.htm
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/japanese_hiragana.htm

http://realkana.com/

you'll notice a lot of words spell out english words.

Offline Soren

• View Profile

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 13, 2017, 05:15:21 AM »
My box FINALLY arrived.

UPS despite ripping me off still wanted additional 10$ on top of their fee just to clear the box at the customs. And took additional 5 days to do so.

Whatever. They delivered at my workplace and i played a bit of 1-2-switch with my colleagues who gathered to check this out.

Apparently, my reaction sucks. My reaction time is around 0.4 seconds, while other guys can shoot in .36 and .32.

Joy-cons seem to be working fine, but i think i need to get screen protector.

Excited.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 13, 2017, 06:39:41 PM »
So the Switch does have a sort of Activity Log on the system after all. It seems like a week after you play a game on your system for the first time, the "first played (insert number) days ago" message on your profile changes to display the number of hours you've played that game (increasing in increments of five hours). Between this and the parental controls app, it's pretty clear that the system is tracking your playtime for each game, so hopefully a more fully-featured Activity Log is one of the apps that will come later in the year. The Activity Log was one of my favorite smaller features on the 3DS and Wii U, so I do really hope that ends up being the case.

Turns out the system displays how many hours you've played a game after ten days, not a week. I knew I played a lot of Zelda, but somehow I was still kinda surprised when I saw just how many hours I've already put into it.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 13, 2017, 07:24:39 PM »
I really like the activity tracker on 3DS. I wish Switch had the same thing

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 13, 2017, 10:21:18 PM »
I guess I hit some sort of milestone, my Play activity for Breath of the Wild nows says 40 hours or more.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 14, 2017, 08:15:08 AM »
Jeff Kaplan, of Overwatch and Developer Update meme fame, loves the Switch (the 3DS as well) and is very coy about Overwatch on Switch even though he is open enough to tell people it would be a real challenge to get the game on the console.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5z9foq/jeff_kaplan_game_director_for_overwatch_on/

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 14, 2017, 08:31:34 AM »
Am i getting this right? You don't get gold My Nintendo points for buying a console, just for games?
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 14, 2017, 08:58:33 AM »
Thats right and if you buy a physical version, you dont even get half the amount of points you would as a digital version

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 14, 2017, 01:32:30 PM »
Jeff Kaplan, of Overwatch and Developer Update meme fame, loves the Switch (the 3DS as well) and is very coy about Overwatch on Switch even though he is open enough to tell people it would be a real challenge to get the game on the console.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5z9foq/jeff_kaplan_game_director_for_overwatch_on/

I sincerely doubt Overwatch will be ported to the Switch.