Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 277041 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Discussion (March 3, 2017 Release) -Updated OP-
« Reply #525 on: February 17, 2017, 10:22:48 PM »
Sure it does. Your purchases are tied to your NNID. The message suggests that the Switch pulls your purchase history from your Nintendo Account, which pulls it from whichever NNID is linked to it. You can change which Nintendo Account your NNID is linked to in a matter of seconds, so this suggests that moving your purchases from one console to another is as simple as creating a new Nintendo Account on a second Switch and linking your NNID to that new Nintendo Account instead.
My point about the Wii U and 3DS using an account is to show that an account with your purchases already exists, yet you can't do these things you're suggesting. Again, you're making assumptions, this doesn't actually say any of this. And since this is Nintendo we're talking about, there's no reason to assume any of this will be the case, ha ha.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 17, 2017, 11:35:57 PM »
The message says your Nintendo Account contains your purchase history and that you can redownload any software or DLC purchased using that account, your Nintendo Account's purchase history is based on whichever NNID is linked to it, and you can freely link and unlink your NNID to the Nintendo Account of your choosing. At the moment, as far as I know, these are all facts (if anyone can point me to information suggesting otherwise, please do!).

The only assumptions I'm making is that Nintendo is not going to make a last minute announcement saying that you have to lock or merge your NNID to one Nintendo Account, and/or that your Nintendo Account will start tracking your Switch software purchases independently of your NNID. Those announcements, among others, are still on the table (which is why I said I'm not taking this as 100% given yet), but I don't think I'm making any assumptions on how this would work if the current slate of facts holds true. Basically, Nintendo would have to go out of their way to screw this up now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 18, 2017, 12:30:19 AM »
you can freely link and unlink your NNID to the Nintendo Account of your choosing.
I'm sorry, but this is the part of your interpretation that I disagree with. This message is specifically popping up when the user chooses to format all data on the console. Therefore, all that is stated is that you can re-link your account to this specific console. As in, the console where it was already contained. Nowhere does it state that you can freely unlink it any time you want without using the console, nor does it state that you can go and link it to another console on your own. These is all things being assumed by people. And while I agree they are reasonable assumptions, I once again say that this is Nintendo we're talking about. Nothing like this is a given.

Also, it does not use the term "NNID" at all.

That said, it doesn't really matter anyway since I do think Nintendo will have a better account system this time. I still don't see it being on par with PS4 and XBONE, but better that Wii U and 3DS. I just disagree that this specific message is saying a lot of the things people claim. I don't see it.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 18, 2017, 01:07:43 AM »
Real talk, here.

I watched a video that pretty much summed up my feelings about the Switch, even with two weeks remaining before the thing drops. I have been extremely fortunate in that I am able to buy a Switch the day it comes out with absolutely no financial commitment on my part- that's very awesome, and it has given me a great deal of anticipation for the hardware. However, the real reason I am excited about my Switch purchase is Zelda, and I could have played that game on my Wii U. Sure, I would have to deal with the argument of its performance being slightly hindered on the older console, but keep in mind, I was fully intending on Zelda being the last video game I would play for the next several years, and while my unbridled excitement of ARMS might contrast with that somewhat, the main reason I even anticipate future Switch games is because, as previously mentioned, I have one without making any personal financial investment. Prior to that, I had no intention of buying another console, let alone another Nintendo console.

With the strained relationship that Nintendo has with third parties both in and outside of Japan, there is no guarantee that there will be a substantial console. The launch year looks decent so far, but it isn't anything the Wii U couldn't do. And then, there's the "announced" third party games, which are... bland? Non-existent? I made a post about six months ago wondering where the market for the Switch existed. As it turns out, it's just cramming in a bunch of "technology" for the sake of appealing to literally every audience. Kind of like, well, I dunno, the Wii U? Except now you can play it on the go and potentially with your friends. I understand the public marketing aspect of the Switch, but unless it receives substantial titles, it is doomed to fail in both markets.

What the Switch needed were confirmations of its third party titles now. I get that they need to roll out the console, but it would have been nice to have a solid date for SMT HD and Octopath Traveler, and even the next No More Heroes entry, around this time in order to give customers a sense that there are things coming. Nintendo's first year lineup looks passable, but where could they possibly go afterwards? I'm not entirely sure, which is why I strongly believe Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be pushed to 2018 in fear of this, and in the case that, should the console end up under-performing, Nintendo will have something to fall back upon as their third party support dries up, as well. If the Switch doesn't sell in Japan like third parties are hoping it will, it's very possible they will abandon it. Hell, only western indies are going to support it, too. Let's not kid ourselves.

This is disheartening, but ultimately, a reality we may be facing in the opening months of the Switch launch. We'll have to keep our ears open on this, but the signs of failure were already showing themselves even at this point. Call me a hater, I'm still getting it day one.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 18, 2017, 01:44:57 AM »
As for the account kvetching, I've never really understood the intense feelings about it. Like, do people want to be able to log into their friends' consoles to download their games and play them there? Is that how it works on PS4/Xbone? I don't really get how that would work, or why a company would let you do that without de-linking the original licenses first. Plus it would take a long time to actually download and play a full game in a social setting.

Is it to have your games on two different systems that you own? I can see that being a more legitimate use case, but again, you could just give the other console to a friend or whatever and they would get the software for free.

The main hangup seems to be that you have to **** around calling Nintendo customer service if you want to transfer your account/library to a new system for whatever reason, which is not something most people are going to do at any point.

A real sore point, having to repurchase eShop/VC titles over again, is purely a policy problem.

As for Evan_B's perspective, I mean, I guess I feel ya? The industry is only getting shittier, and Nintendo is slowly but surely bending to that gravity with cell phone games, season passes, paid online and whathaveyou. They put up a good fight, but the world is what it is. The Switch is arguably overdesigned, but I'm viewing it primarily as the home for Nintendo games for the next 4-5 years, nothing more, nothing less. (Although maybe less, depending on how far down the slippery monetization slope they slide.) Nintendo is practically an endangered genre preserve at this point. Having pretty much played every older game I'm interested in, if independent-platform Nintendo flames out, I'm probably done with the hobby outside of the odd PC release.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 18, 2017, 01:52:38 AM »
Nintendo as a first party developer is the equivalent of a first party developer with 2 top of the line third parties....when they can make their schedule.

2017 is rushed, but pretty much every console is rushed. Consoles do not come into their own until their second year. Launching with Zelda should be immense for people. This Zelda is going to be one of the better Zelda's. Once this Zelda is out in the Wild there is no turning back.

The Wii launched with a Zelda game. Who knows maybe Switch Sports is on its way.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 18, 2017, 02:22:21 AM »
As for the account kvetching, I've never really understood the intense feelings about it. Like, do people want to be able to log into their friends' consoles to download their games and play them there? Is that how it works on PS4/Xbone? I don't really get how that would work, or why a company would let you do that without de-linking the original licenses first.

That kind of thing is super easy to do on a PS4. I logged in to one that was used in my office break room. When I finally bought my own PS4 it was a easy as removing that system from my account and adding my own as my primary system. When I sold my PS3 I deleted everything, cleaned out the drive and de-linked the console. If I ever buy another PS3 my games will be waiting there no problem.

To your other point, for most people it's a peace of mind thing. It's knowing that if something does go wrong the hardware makers developed tools that let you get everything back easy and free of hassle. No one wants to sit with a customer service rep ever, and whether Nintendo likes it or not, the other console makers have made the process of account migration extremely easier.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 18, 2017, 02:41:08 AM »
There are small exception like PT, but those a really small examples.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 18, 2017, 02:51:58 AM »
There's a difference between a publisher trying to wipe a game off the face of the earth and a hardware maker making it next to impossible to migrate your content from one console to the other.

I still technically have a license for PT. If Konami for some reason ever brings it back online I can re-download it no problem.

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 18, 2017, 02:59:38 AM »
you can freely link and unlink your NNID to the Nintendo Account of your choosing.
I'm sorry, but this is the part of your interpretation that I disagree with. This message is specifically popping up when the user chooses to format all data on the console. Therefore, all that is stated is that you can re-link your account to this specific console. As in, the console where it was already contained. Nowhere does it state that you can freely unlink it any time you want without using the console, nor does it state that you can go and link it to another console on your own. These is all things being assumed by people. And while I agree they are reasonable assumptions, I once again say that this is Nintendo we're talking about. Nothing like this is a given.

If that's the part you disagree with, you don't even need to take my word for it. Log in to your current Nintendo Account, unlink your NNID (which you can do with the click of a button), create a new Nintendo Account, and link your NNID to that new Nintendo Account. Your transaction history will be gone from your primary Nintendo Account, and it will appear on your new Nintendo Account. The fact that you can freely link your NNID to a Nintendo Account of your choosing is a verifiable fact, and has been for quite some time.

Also, it does not use the term "NNID" at all.

Which is why this message is encouraging in the first place. The part your purchases are tied to, your NNID, is not mentioned as being linked to the system. This message says the part that is linked to your system is the Nintendo Account. Even if you can only link one Nintendo Account to one console, it's irrelevant as long as your NNID can be moved freely (which, again, is what your purchases are tied to and can be moved between Nintendo Accounts at this very moment).

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 18, 2017, 12:56:19 PM »
If that's the part you disagree with, you don't even need to take my word for it. Log in to your current Nintendo Account, unlink your NNID (which you can do with the click of a button), create a new Nintendo Account, and link your NNID to that new Nintendo Account.
The part your purchases are tied to, your NNID, is not mentioned as being linked to the system.
Oh, my mistake, I got confused ha ha. It was late and I had thought you were still talking about what the message meant and linking to a new system and such, and were mixing up terms or something.

In any case, the message says your purchases will be tied to your Nintendo Account, not your NNID, so I'm not sure how linking and unlinking NNIDs is relevant here.

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 20, 2017, 02:37:33 PM »
According to Nintendo Force:

To be clear on embargoes: Switch Previews on February 23, Reviews March 1. Zelda Previews on February 24, Reviews March 2.

Soon, y'all. Soon!

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 20, 2017, 03:06:53 PM »
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/02/its_time_to_claim_your_nintendo_account_user_id_for_nintendo_switch

I am utterly confused. But I did manage to nab "StarTropics" as my User ID.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Switch Discussion (Review Embargo 3/1, 3/3 Release Date)
« Reply #538 on: February 20, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »
I got nickmitch.

Side note: The Zelda embargo is one day after the Switch embargo? Is that weird?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 20, 2017, 03:39:04 PM »
I got nickmitch.

Side note: The Zelda embargo is one day after the Switch embargo? Is that weird?

It's....odd. Nintendo has not been shy about super early embargos if they know they have something good on their hands. Of course it doesn't mean that BotW is going to be bad but it kinda feels a little late in the game. Horizon Zero Dawn's embargo was today and that game's not out until next week.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: February 20, 2017, 03:53:22 PM »
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/02/its_time_to_claim_your_nintendo_account_user_id_for_nintendo_switch

Did it let you have capital letters? It wouldn't let me.

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 20, 2017, 03:58:38 PM »
Perhaps the preview coverage will have a lot of limitations put on it and Nintendo is setting the review embargo that close to release to avoid spoilers as much as possible? They do seem to be more mindful of spoilers when it comes to Breath of the Wild. If reviews go up on March 2, there's only one day of extensive coverage before the game comes out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #542 on: February 20, 2017, 04:01:55 PM »
Maybe they just want to make sure reviewers have enough time to beat the game?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 20, 2017, 07:37:32 PM »

Haven't really kept up with everything but aren't they just continuing Nintendo Network IDs? Why would everyone need to make a new one again? Differentiating between NNID, this (apparantly new?) account user thing, and an optional MyNintendo is a far cry from that hallowed single account structure.

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 20, 2017, 08:31:43 PM »
Since Nintendo will be charging for their online service now, they have to make a lot of improvements in order to justify the price, and maybe starting from scratch was easier than trying to improve whatever online infrastructure was in place under NNID. This is just my speculation as someone who has limited knowledge of these kinds of tech-related things though.

The single account aspect comes from everything being linked to your Nintendo Account. Even if they're using your NNID for eShop purchases (this could change for the Switch), using this new User ID for online play, and doing rewards through My Nintendo, it doesn't really matter if Nintendo only asks you for your Nintendo Account sign in information whenever you try to access these different services. It's not the most elegant solution, but it effectively achieves the "one account" goal. This is not completely set in stone yet (as Mop it up rightly pointed out many times), but that's probably how it should work given what we do know so far.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:33:14 PM by Oedo »

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 20, 2017, 08:47:11 PM »
10 days to go! I cant wait for all the information over the next few days. Its getting so exciting.

I dont see why they need to make another user ID. Shouldnt the NNID be enough? Even if the Switch uses a completely new online system, I would have though it would just use the same ID.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:55:39 PM by Lemonade »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 20, 2017, 10:33:34 PM »
The single account aspect comes from everything being linked to your Nintendo Account. Even if they're using your NNID for eShop purchases (this could change for the Switch), using this new User ID for online play, and doing rewards through My Nintendo, it doesn't really matter if Nintendo only asks you for your Nintendo Account sign in information whenever you try to access these different services. It's not the most elegant solution, but it effectively achieves the "one account" goal. This is not completely set in stone yet (as Mop it up rightly pointed out many times), but that's probably how it should work given what we do know so far.

From what I can gather (from people on Twitter who I at least trust, take that with a grain of salt) Nintendo Accounts will be the ones that your purchases will be tied to from now on. That "global" account can then be tied to local accounts on different machines (1 machine at a time, obviously). If you link your NNID to your Nintendo Account (which you already should have done) then your global account should at least have some record of your Wii U/3DS purchases.

TL;DR: Nintendo screwed this up so bad that the only way to untangle this mess was with an equally confusing system.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #547 on: February 20, 2017, 10:49:43 PM »
Our family apparently will be able to afford a Switch around launch, which is exciting that it's possible. Doubt we'll be able to get one then due to the system being sold out at stores probably, but we at least pre-ordered Zelda for Switch.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 20, 2017, 11:29:16 PM »
I linked my NNID to my My.Nintendo.com account a long time ago...

edit: That is stupid I had to create a new one. shyguy6 since ShyGuy was taken even though that has been my userid since Miitomo came out...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:43:26 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #549 on: February 21, 2017, 02:47:17 AM »
I don't think the Switch is using NNIDs. I thought this was something completely different. Instead of an NNID it's a Nintendo Account User ID.

Anyway, mine is SuperPhillip-- well, superphillip-- since I guess they don't do caps for some reason. Thankfully, unlike PSN, it seems you can change it whenever.

Also, my local Best Buy is doing a midnight launch, so we might try our luck at getting a Switch that night!
Here's where you can see if yours is doing a midnight launch?: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/video-games/nintendo-switch/pcmcat1476977522176.c?id=pcmcat1476977522176
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)