Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 276709 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Discussion (March 3, 2017 Release) -Updated OP-
« Reply #500 on: February 13, 2017, 09:50:50 PM »
This is how Nintendo should design the eShop: in $10 interval tiers.

"...On your left, you might notice a sea of garbage worth less than $10! And on your right, you can see the developers who have placed themselves at a higher price point to imply that their content took conscious thought and effort..."
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 13, 2017, 11:50:20 PM »
"...On your left, you might notice a sea of garbage worth less than $10! And on your right, you can see the developers who have placed themselves at a higher price point to imply that their content took conscious thought and effort..."

And then watch people complain about the price...
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 14, 2017, 03:18:07 AM »
Thats the problem with mobile games, everyone expects them to be free. The last few years when they have become free is what turned them to trash.
I would happily pay $10 for Mario Run if I had a device that it worked on.

I will stick to paying for high quality games on consoles.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 14, 2017, 03:52:04 AM »
Thats the problem with mobile games, everyone expects them to be free. The last few years when they have become free is what turned them to trash.
I would happily pay $10 for Mario Run if I had a device that it worked on.

I will stick to paying for high quality games on consoles.

It's not just mobile gamers that expect cheap games.

Lest we forget...

And yet Steam, Microsoft and Sony all manage to thrive and far exceed Nintendo when it comes to turning a profit precisely because they are not greedy. There is nothing naive in thinking companies should treat their customers fairly and offer them great value for money. It's what sells products.

How about this for a simple comparison, google the Playstation winter sale, then google the Xbox winter sale, then google the Nintendo winter sale. Have a good look at them and see if you can spot the odd one out. Or better yet, take a $100 and see how far that could get you on the PSN store, Xbox store and the eshop. Again, see if you can spot the odd one out.

How dare Nintendo tries to charge more for their product? It's like feel there is some value to it that people will pay for.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 14, 2017, 04:09:44 AM »
I cant find anything specific at the moment, but I remember Iwata talking about game pricing a few times over the years.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 14, 2017, 05:36:47 PM »
On the topic of handheld-like experiences appearing on Switch, Aonuma talked about the possibility of 2D Zelda appearing on Switch in a new interview:

“The dev pace is not really dependent on how many people are on a team, so combining them would not necessarily expedite the development pace,” says Aonuma. “The 3DS team and the Wii U team have different approaches to game development, so I don’t necessarily want to combine them and have them think together, but rather have each think about what they can bring to Nintendo Switch from their own perspective.”

Aonuma then offered additional clarification, saying “The handheld development team will not be phased out because of Nintendo Switch. Switch will allow the users to bring their home console on the go, but this doesn't mean handheld game development like Nintendo 3DS will be discontinued.”

When we asked point-blank if there was a possibility that the 3DS Zelda teams were working on a new game for the Nintendo Switch, Aonuma said, “Yes, there is definitely a possibility.”

“There are definitely good things about the 2D world and the playstyles of the 2D world,” Aonuma says. “There are a lot of fans who enjoy that style. This Nintendo Switch style, which is the evolved style of gameplay is not necessarily… I want you to think of it more as an evolved style of 2D style. For the 3DS team, I am trying to make them think in a more evolved 2D-style approach.”

If a 2D Zelda team is working on something, I find it kind of hard to envision it being a 3DS game (even with Nintendo's insistence that the 3DS isn't going anywhere). It would be cool if we got a new mainline 2D Zelda on Switch not too long after Breath of the Wild. A co-op 2D Zelda that makes use of the Switch's unique hardware could be really interesting too.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/02/14/a-2d-zelda-on-the-switch-is-definitely-a-possibility.aspx

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 14, 2017, 05:53:19 PM »
Yes bring back glorious 4 swords. Also, does 4 swords have to be 4 links? They could have differentiated the series if they wanted to.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 15, 2017, 01:49:53 AM »
Agreed. There are lots of great characters they haven't used. How about this: Legend of Zelda: Postmaster General. Organize and deliver mail, avoid bears and marauders, get signatures with the Switch touchscreen. Plunder the undeliverables. Uncover a secret correspondence between King Daphnes and Gannondorf that will rock the political world of Hyrule.

Legend of Zelda: Postmaster General

Willst thou get rich

or die deliverin'?

COMING MARCH 2022
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 16, 2017, 01:40:29 AM »
This is something I have been wondering about recently. Will the Switch have single card download play like the DS and 3DS? Or will games have a free multiplayer download version on the eShop? I liked that solution on new Mario Party for 3DS.

Download play was one of the best features of DS and 3DS, it would be annoying if every Switch game was multi card play only.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 16, 2017, 03:33:12 AM »
Apparently Steep runs on the same engine as the assassins creed games. So, we may find out about some unannounced Assassin's Creeds games when they are announced on other systems.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: February 16, 2017, 07:10:10 PM »
This is something I have been wondering about recently. Will the Switch have single card download play like the DS and 3DS? Or will games have a free multiplayer download version on the eShop?
I've been wondering the same thing, but I haven't seen anything about it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 16, 2017, 08:59:49 PM »
I read somewhere that it does support this, surely it depends on the game though.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #512 on: February 16, 2017, 09:47:01 PM »
Isn't it a function of the system?  Like, download play is an app you launch from the 3DS screen, isn't it?

I might be inclined to think it doesn't.  Nintendo might've axed the feature assuming people are satisfied with the multiplayer out of the box pitch.  You don't need to carts; you don't even need two systems.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 16, 2017, 10:14:51 PM »
Isn't it a function of the system?  Like, download play is an app you launch from the 3DS screen, isn't it?
Or they can use dedicated free eShop apps for each game that support that feature.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 16, 2017, 10:43:18 PM »
This is something I have been wondering about recently. Will the Switch have single card download play like the DS and 3DS? Or will games have a free multiplayer download version on the eShop? I liked that solution on new Mario Party for 3DS.

Download play was one of the best features of DS and 3DS, it would be annoying if every Switch game was multi card play only.

GameSpot asked Reggie about it in an interview last month. First he says that it would come down to the developer and the type of content they want to create (which makes it sound like it is possible), but then he ends by saying "the ability to do that [share one card among multiple devices] with the Nintendo Switch, we haven't commented publicly on, and I'm not going to do it here."

So, yeah, who the heck knows. I would place my bet on it supporting something like download play, as I can't see any real downside to it. Maybe it's just another part of the big list of stuff they're waiting to announce three days before launch (for some reason).

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 16, 2017, 11:13:01 PM »
On a separate note, there's some text in that Switch unboxing video from today which seems to indicates that eShop purchases will be tied to your Nintendo Account and not the console. I'd wait until Nintendo directly spells it out in no uncertain terms before truly celebrating, but that's certainly encouraging.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:25:51 PM by Lemonade »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 17, 2017, 02:56:44 AM »
It'd be awesome if you could download a patch and play your wii u games. Or just download the Switch version. I know we're switching from AMD to nvidia. But on PC that's not even a big deal.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 17, 2017, 02:35:13 PM »
EDIT: Never mind.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:55:46 PM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 17, 2017, 04:02:46 PM »
On a separate note, there's some text in that Switch unboxing video from today which seems to indicates that eShop purchases will be tied to your Nintendo Account and not the console. I'd wait until Nintendo directly spells it out in no uncertain terms before truly celebrating, but that's certainly encouraging.
There's always so much misinformation about this.

Technically, games purchased on Wii U and 3DS are tied to your account, it's just that the account is tied to one system. But that account is transferable through the user, or also through Nintendo if your system is lost or stolen. Even the Wii worked this way, and had an account that could be transferred through Nintendo. As was noted in the comments of that article, from the wording seen here, this doesn't necessarily indicate that things will be any different than they are now. To me, it sounds like your account may be easier to transfer from one system to another, but it will still be tied down to and accessible on just one system at a time.

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 17, 2017, 08:24:24 PM »
There's always so much misinformation about this.

Technically, games purchased on Wii U and 3DS are tied to your account, it's just that the account is tied to one system. But that account is transferable through the user, or also through Nintendo if your system is lost or stolen. Even the Wii worked this way, and had an account that could be transferred through Nintendo. As was noted in the comments of that article, from the wording seen here, this doesn't necessarily indicate that things will be any different than they are now. To me, it sounds like your account may be easier to transfer from one system to another, but it will still be tied down to and accessible on just one system at a time.

While Nintendo can transfer accounts and purchases from lost or stolen systems right now, ultimately, it's still completely at their discretion. Nintendo of America has become more lenient in the last little while, but it wasn't long ago that getting your account and purchases transferred from a lost or stolen system was a hassle. More importantly, Nintendo will still outright refuse to do this in some instances. I remembering seeing a while ago that Matt Walker lost his 3DS and, in Japan, Nintendo told him there was nothing they could do about his account and his purchases. Other NWR staffers in Japan said that this is basically how things go there. Account or not, in the end, those purchases were effectively tied to his system, and it's the same for everybody else as long as the only guaranteed way to transfer your purchases is to have the system in your possession. If Nintendo has made it that so that you can freely move your purchases from one system to another without needing your current system (or Nintendo's assistance if you don't have it), as this message suggests, that is a fundamental change from how they currently handle digital purchases and truly makes it so that purchases are tied to an account and not a system.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 08:26:37 PM by Oedo »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 17, 2017, 08:35:33 PM »
It's already an account system, all Nintendo really has to do is set up a mechanism for users to authorize and deauthorize hardware to use that account on their own without having to call Nintendo customer support to do it for them. The back end is already in place, and this would make things easier for the customer support reps, so I really don't understand why they haven't done that already.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 17, 2017, 09:12:32 PM »
Nothing about this message suggests you can unlink your account from your system without having the system in your possession. The term "re-link" could even mean you have to have the same system. People are jumping to a lot of conclusions from this message, but it really doesn't say much and a lot remains to be seen.

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 17, 2017, 09:58:06 PM »
Sure it does. Your purchases are tied to your NNID. The message suggests that the Switch pulls your purchase history from your Nintendo Account, which pulls it from whichever NNID is linked to it. You can change which Nintendo Account your NNID is linked to in a matter of seconds, so this suggests that moving your purchases from one console to another is as simple as creating a new Nintendo Account on a second Switch and linking your NNID to that new Nintendo Account instead.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:01:57 PM by Oedo »

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 17, 2017, 09:59:30 PM »
I take back my earlier message and agree with what Mop and several others on Twitter (namely Chris Kohler) have said. The wording above does not suggest anything other than the current status quo. Unless I can transfer my account and purchases from one Switch to another without having to go through Nintendo Customer Service nothing has changed. And I hope Nintendo is clear about their messaging because it could mean the difference between me buying digital content or completely abstaining from it.

EDIT:

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:03:27 PM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV