Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 275956 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Discussion (March 3, 2017 Release) -Updated OP-
« Reply #450 on: January 31, 2017, 01:22:48 AM »
Does anyone know if there's been any confirmation one way or the other on how many individual Joy-cons can connect to a SINGLE Switch?
Nintendo's own website is suggesting eight.
Quote from: Nintendo
You can use up to eight controllers with one Nintendo Switch system, so everyone can play.
However, it's unclear if that can be only one kind of controller, a mix between Joy-Con and Pro Controller, or if they connect via different wireless standards.

Is that 8 pairs of joycons?

Hmmm, well Just Dance 2017 is reporting 6 players, so maybe you're right about  the 7 device limit.

I assume each player will have a joycon in each hand for more accurate tracking... right?
so 12-16 joycons allowed under new bluetooth standards? That seems like a lot to keep track of though.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 31, 2017, 07:25:05 AM »
I assume each player will have a joycon in each hand for more accurate tracking... right?
so 12-16 joycons allowed under new bluetooth standards? That seems like a lot to keep track of though.

I'm going to guess and say it's similar to smart phone integration in other console versions, so just one joy con per person.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 31, 2017, 12:33:15 PM »

I'm going to guess and say it's similar to smart phone integration in other console versions, so just one joy con per person.

Yeah, I don't think Just Dance had a mode where you could use two Wii Remores per person, so we're probably looking at one Joycon per player here.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 31, 2017, 12:51:50 PM »
Those cases could of course still change for the West. Japan also had smaller cases for GameCube for example. Do like the small format, but I wonder if the average consumer will (unconciously) view them as 'lesser' games than their PS4/Xbox counterparts? Feel like psychologically* one might be inclined to think of smaller things as "these ought to be cheaper", even if it's pretty unrelated.

*=This psychological fact sponsored entirely by speculation.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #454 on: January 31, 2017, 02:00:57 PM »
I remember reading something about maps where certain projections cause some countries to look bigger than other.  Part of the point that was being made was that people subconsciously associate size with importance (with Africa being a sticking point, IIRC).

So, I think you may be on to something there.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 01, 2017, 12:36:03 PM »
Team 4D, the winners of the U.K. Splatoon competition, had very nice things to say about the Pro Controller after demoing it at a Switch event. They lauded it as one of the most comfortable, light controllers they've ever used. They're probably a bit more competitively oriented in their perspective, but they said the gyro works great on it. As an owner of one Wii U pro controller, I'll probably pick up one pro Switch controller.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 01, 2017, 12:45:10 PM »
Team 4D, the winners of the U.K. Splatoon competitionn, had very nice things to say about the Pro Controller after demoing it at a Switch event.
No **** they did.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 01, 2017, 02:06:36 PM »
Well, what surprised me about their comments is that they seemed most excited by the Pro Controller. They said some positive things about handheld mode, mostly that it's great to be able to meet up and play with others, although their handling of the gyro seemed a bit cumbersome. They were extremely positive about the Pro Controller and likely its benefits for Splatoon warfare.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 02, 2017, 11:36:13 AM »
I mean in a competition between Joy-Cons, the Wii U GamePad and a Pro Controller it's easy to see why pro players would choose the regular controller setup.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 02, 2017, 02:40:04 PM »
It makes sense to me, the Pro Controller handles more like the GamePad, except it's smaller and lighter which are both good things.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #460 on: February 02, 2017, 06:14:00 PM »
And surprising sense it has the HD rumble and NFC support.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 05, 2017, 02:29:42 AM »
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/heres-what-kojima-thinks-about-nintendo-switch/1100-6447557/

Kojima is intrigued by the Switch. That doesn't mean he's making games for it, but he might just buy one.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 05, 2017, 09:18:00 PM »
This is somewhat unrelated, but I played through PN03 for the first time last night. The ending scene has a click that sounds almost the same as the Switch click. You can hear it with the link below.

PN03 spoiler warning
https://youtu.be/VOfGHJCGW3g?t=181

Thats all, I just thought it was an interesting coincidence.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 05, 2017, 09:38:14 PM »
I believe Kojima previously commented on how unique both the Wii Remote and Wii U Gamepad. I don't think he's bringing a game to Switch unless he collaborates with Sakurai or something.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 05, 2017, 11:01:59 PM »
Didn't Kojima really want to make a new Silent Hill game? I could see him and Nintendo both wanting to bring a game like that to Switch, but yeah, I probably wouldn't expect anything for a long time (if at all).

Some other Japanese developers also shared their thoughts on Switch in a recent Famitsu article, and Nintendo Everything provided a translation. Among the highlights:

-A lot of developers are surprised by how affordable the console is (the Japanese price is lower than the North American price by current exchange rates)

-Jiro Ishii, visual novel game director/producer, wants to scare the daylights out of you with HD rumble. He also thinks the technology is perfect for romance-themed visual novels

-Nippon Ichi Software feels there's a lot of demand for their games on handheld devices, and they're looking forward to developing games for the console

-Yoko Taro is distraught that the console and Breath of the Wild are coming out a week after the game he's currently working on (NieR:Automata)

-PlantinumGames is actively developing games for the console

-Kenichiro Takaki wants people to feel the softness using HD rumble. He believes games are all about what "feels good." This man is the Senran Kagura series producer.

-Many developers are hoping that the Switch revitalizes the home console market in Japan
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 11:04:02 PM by Oedo »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 05, 2017, 11:16:37 PM »
He also thinks the technology [HD Rumble] is perfect for romance-themed visual novels

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 06, 2017, 01:43:04 AM »
I'd imagine Kojima is tied up with Death Stranding. Sony is footing the bill for that one. But when he gets to his next project I can imagine he can do whatever he wants. It really depends on how much money they make on Death Stranding. If they make a whole hell of a lot then they be come a sustainable company. If they don't then I'm sure Sony will keep funding his stuff out of their marketing budget.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 06, 2017, 07:11:52 AM »
This is somewhat unrelated, but I played through PN03 for the first time last night. The ending scene has a click that sounds almost the same as the Switch click. You can hear it with the link below.

PN03 spoiler warning

Wow yeah it's rather uncanny really! That was a cool game too, bit clunky in the control section. Iirc you had to press A every time you wanted to fire a shot right, instead of just holding it down for rapid fire?

Offline Chiller

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 06, 2017, 02:42:00 PM »

PN03 spoiler warning

Wow yeah it's rather uncanny really! That was a cool game too, bit clunky in the control section. Iirc you had to press A every time you wanted to fire a shot right, instead of just holding it down for rapid fire?

The sound when she snaps her fingers?  It's just a canned sound effect.  A lot of sample sets just use the same sounds.  Sound designers have too much to do to worry about creating a unique snapping sound effect, so they just use generic samples.  You've probably heard the same sample a thousand times without paying a thought.  I wouldn't be surprised if the people producing the Switch video just pulled the same sample, and modified / layered it to get what they wanted.  It saves a lot of time.
"Mweeeep"
Charles Seeburg

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 06, 2017, 07:00:02 PM »
The sound when she snaps her fingers?  It's just a canned sound effect.  A lot of sample sets just use the same sounds.  Sound designers have too much to do to worry about creating a unique snapping sound effect, so they just use generic samples.  You've probably heard the same sample a thousand times without paying a thought.  I wouldn't be surprised if the people producing the Switch video just pulled the same sample, and modified / layered it to get what they wanted.  It saves a lot of time.

Maybe just some samplebank yeah, I've had moments like that before. I'm like 99.9999% sure Mission Impossible 2 uses a sample also found in Rollercoaster Tycoon for example. And the trailer for one of those Divergent movies has a firebomb moment in it for which they've used the same sound effect you get when blowing up a plant in Star Fox Adventures haha.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 06, 2017, 11:02:20 PM »
I love when I hear the gun reload sound from the N64 Goldeneye game in modern films and shows. I know it is coming from a sample bank, but you should really update and diversify your sample bank because it just dates your film in a non-flattering way and pulls people out of the moment.

And there is the always classic Wilhelm Scream, which is used in over 359 movies and TV show episodes. I feel like it is included as more of an inside joke among sound engineers than as a legitimate sound.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 06, 2017, 11:50:00 PM »
I dont know if anyone here watches Ashens on youtube, but he had some interesting thoughts about the Switch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjZMi6qh1lo&t=913s

In movies and TV shows I sometimes hear the same horse sound effects that they used Twilight Princess.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 07, 2017, 11:02:56 PM »
Mentioned this in another thread, but a pretty extensive TIME interview with Kimishima went up today. The highlights relating to Switch:

-Nintendo needs to get the console into the hands of a lot of gamers to effectively market it
-They're going to go above and beyond to make sure that we get an online service worth paying for
-A lot of internal discussion went into coming up with what they feel is a reasonable price
-The Switch currently does not support controllers designed for other systems. "Support for certain controllers may be considered for a future update"
-Games from past systems may be re-released for Switch, as either enhanced or original versions (in response to a question about emulating and/or porting Wii U games)
-Regarding the eShop, it will be possible to purchase and play downloaded software at launch
-No Internet browser at launch
-Nintendo is interested in VR and is doing research into it, still thinking about how to make it entertaining for consumers
-Nintendo is "not creating a successor to the 3DS right now." Still thinking about portable systems and how they can continue bringing them out, still thinking "of different ways to continue the portable gaming business"
-They believe Splatoon 2 and Arms have the suitable elements for eSports
-They are considering what "Nintendo-like" eSports can be as part of the business model, and the rewards for the outcome of the battle
-Launch day preorders have nearly reached the maximum available, production is increasing
-Kimishima feels the Switch is about bringing people together

There was a lot of interesting stuff in the interview, but when are they planning to give us detailed information on the online service, the eShop, and (most importantly) Virtual Console? We're less than four weeks away from launch at this point.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #473 on: February 08, 2017, 01:55:49 PM »
Puyo Puyo Tetris releases April 25 in North America and April 28th in Europe. Nintendo UK posted a trailer.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 08, 2017, 08:21:29 PM »
I have never played Puyo Puyo before, but after seeing that trailer, it seems to be the same as Mean Bean Machine, which I played recently on Sonic Mega Collection. Maybe I will like it then.
I already love Tetris, so having two games in one could make it more interesting.

Update: I just ordered Puyo Pop on ebay for my N-Gage. It was cheap and it will be here before Puyo Puyo Tetris, so it will be a good chance to try a game in the same series first.
<3 N-Gage.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:38:13 PM by Lemonade »