Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 273771 times)

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Discussion (March 3, 2017 Release) -Updated OP-
« Reply #400 on: January 19, 2017, 11:54:54 AM »
I would've bit at $40. :(
In Soviet Nintendo, price bite YOU!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 19, 2017, 01:03:29 PM »
That is a bit steep for a digital title, or is it getting a physical release?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 19, 2017, 02:06:20 PM »
That is a bit steep for a digital title, or is it getting a physical release?

Yes, physical release, which I already have preordered!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 19, 2017, 03:14:50 PM »
Puyo Puyo Tetris is 30 bucks if you download it from the eShop!
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #404 on: January 19, 2017, 05:26:12 PM »

Sold.

And Bomberman is one of those games I need downloaded.  Pretty much anything with heavy multiplayer.  Maybe I can hope for an eShop discount.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 19, 2017, 05:37:23 PM »
Don't forget Binding of Isaac!
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 19, 2017, 08:43:28 PM »

Im still not sure what to think of that game. I like Tetris, but I dont like the look of Puyo Puyo. But I have never played it before.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 19, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »
I don't think I can justify Super Bomberman R for more than $30.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 19, 2017, 09:53:55 PM »
I is sad at the devaluation of Bomberman. Bomberman64 was a game of forever, even competing head-to-head with Mario Kart 64 when I was growing up. If this Bomberman is anywhere near as good I'll be fine having paid full price (minus 20% Best Buy discount of course, so I guess full price for me turns out to be $40?)
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #409 on: January 20, 2017, 10:27:14 AM »
I don't think the gameplay has evolved to the point of it being a full price franchise.  I mean, most "AAA" titles don't survive long at full price.  We could have an entirely separate thread about the costs of gaming.

Offline crashnnburn

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 20, 2017, 11:01:08 AM »
A little off topic, but now that the Switch is coming out. Do you guys think Nintendo will lower the price of the WiiU? They can sell the WiiU for $150 with 3 pack in games or something. This can bite them on the ass because it'll eat sales from the Switch, although the Switch is very different compared to the WiiU and it was considered a "third pillar". Also, why didn't Nintendo ever cut the price of the WiiU or did they? I really enjoyed the WiiU and was really waiting for a WiiU 2.0 or HD or something, it has great games, no need to port all of it's library to the Switch just to make the Switch a success. Switch can still be success by itself with it being mobile and all. WiiU concept had so much potential, might it had better hardware people would have bought into it a lot more. Maybe i'm just nostalgic :(

And what the hell is gonna happen to my controllers? I have 4 WiiU pro controllers and 5 nunchuck/wii remotes. I hope the Switch is compatible with them. And also what's gonna happen to games that do utilize the gamepad in conjunction with the tv? There's really no way to port that concept to Switch. And what if some devs want to keep developing in that style? F$*k them? I don't know, all this killing the WiiU not sounding good to me.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #411 on: January 20, 2017, 11:14:25 AM »
Nintendo might drop the Wii U price, but I think they stopped making them a while ago to build up Switch inventory.  So unless Nintendo/retailers are sitting on huge stocks (which isn't likely) the price might not budge.  Nintendo may more likely buy back inventory it sold to retailers.

The price wasn't cut because the parts never became cheaper.  This has been mentioned on the forums a few times, but the gist of it is Nintendo cheaped out on parts, and people stopped making those parts for better parts, so the economies of scale never picked up.

Nintendo has confirmed to, I think, Kotaku that old controllers and accessories are not gonna be compatible.

Games that utilize the gamepad will die with the Wii U.  I wouldn't worry about the Devs who wanted to keep exploring that concept; there weren't very many of them.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 20, 2017, 11:41:34 AM »
A little off topic, but now that the Switch is coming out. Do you guys think Nintendo will lower the price of the WiiU? They can sell the WiiU for $150 with 3 pack in games or something. This can bite them on the ass because it'll eat sales from the Switch, although the Switch is very different compared to the WiiU and it was considered a "third pillar". Also, why didn't Nintendo ever cut the price of the WiiU or did they? I really enjoyed the WiiU and was really waiting for a WiiU 2.0 or HD or something, it has great games, no need to port all of it's library to the Switch just to make the Switch a success. Switch can still be success by itself with it being mobile and all. WiiU concept had so much potential, might it had better hardware people would have bought into it a lot more. Maybe i'm just nostalgic :(

And what the hell is gonna happen to my controllers? I have 4 WiiU pro controllers and 5 nunchuck/wii remotes. I hope the Switch is compatible with them. And also what's gonna happen to games that do utilize the gamepad in conjunction with the tv? There's really no way to port that concept to Switch. And what if some devs want to keep developing in that style? F$*k them? I don't know, all this killing the WiiU not sounding good to me.

I haven't seen Wii U's for sale in stores for a while now.  I think they stopped restocking shelves for months now, I was actually a little surprised because I assumed this past Black Friday was going to be a big Wii U firesale, instead it was barren.  I'd actually expect no price decreases for the console at this point, but you might be able to find Wii U games on clearance if retailers are still sitting on stock they want to clear out for the Switch Games.  Even taking a look at Amazon, any of the "new" consoles have actually gone UP in price, but you might be able to get a WII U as low as $215 if you get a basic white which only has 8 GB of memory.

I think we've seen the death of dual screen play.  Nintendo struggled to come up with a use case beyond putting menus/maps on the screen or Super Mario Maker, and it added another layer of complexity of 3rd parties or indies to consider when making a game.

Nintendo mentioned in a Kotaku article they had no plans of compatibility for prior console controllers/accessories, but left a caveat that they would consider it in the future.  I'd expect it sometime after year 1, or specific cases like if they want to allow the gamecube controller adapter to work with the Switch for Smash players, but I expect I'll be having to pay for a pro controller if I want a more traditional controller for home at/near launch.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:04:07 PM by lolmonade »

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 20, 2017, 01:14:13 PM »
If there's going to be a Smash 4 port (or if they want to kill Sakurai with Smash 5), I'd hope they would announce some news about it soon- Smash on Switch would be another big seller in year one, and if the GCN adapter is going to be compatible (which, let's face it, it probably will be), they should let people who already own them know as soon as possible so that they don't sell them off. It would be a consumer-friendly gesture, which I imagine seems quite uncharacteristic of Nintendo as of right now.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 20, 2017, 07:18:06 PM »

Im still not sure what to think of that game. I like Tetris, but I dont like the look of Puyo Puyo. But I have never played it before.

If I interpreted the trailer correctly it looks like you can choose to go all Tetris or all Puyo. Will get it for the Tetris 4-player action. The Puyo compatibility is just gravy for me.

If there's going to be a Smash 4 port (or if they want to kill Sakurai with Smash 5), I'd hope they would announce some news about it soon- Smash on Switch would be another big seller in year one, and if the GCN adapter is going to be compatible (which, let's face it, it probably will be), they should let people who already own them know as soon as possible so that they don't sell them off. It would be a consumer-friendly gesture, which I imagine seems quite uncharacteristic of Nintendo as of right now.

I doubt most owners of the GCN adapter are planing on selling any time soon, even if there is not an announcement. People will want to hold on to it for legacy compatibility, or to use on the PC with mods.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Wanderlei

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 21, 2017, 04:57:59 AM »
A little off topic, but now that the Switch is coming out. Do you guys think Nintendo will lower the price of the WiiU?

I not know if Nintendo do official price cut but I'd imagine retailer do fire sales to clear selves after Switch launch.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #416 on: January 21, 2017, 09:45:57 AM »
If there are any. Rumor is Nintendo asked retailers to send their Wii U stock back.

(Your local Nintendo online store stocks refurbs from that supply and sells them for US$200 or equivalent.)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #417 on: January 21, 2017, 02:41:30 PM »
If there are any. Rumor is Nintendo asked retailers to send their Wii U stock back.

(Your local Nintendo online store stocks refurbs from that supply and sells them for US$200 or equivalent.)

This makes the most sense.  Stores don't tend to like inventory with low turnover.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 24, 2017, 03:25:43 AM »

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 24, 2017, 06:59:30 AM »
French Amazon is selling Switch + Zelda for 360 Euro (including VAT):

https://www.amazon.fr/Pack-Nintendo-Switch-paire-Joy-Con/dp/B01MZAF5BB

It doesn't work outside of France, but maybe it will work for someone.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Clonester11

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: January 26, 2017, 08:56:30 PM »
Anyone else excited for Yooka-Laylee? I'm pretty pumped for this Banjo-esque platformer. Another game I wish received a bit of love during the Switch reveal. Nonetheless, it's due to release soon.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 26, 2017, 10:25:43 PM »
Anyone else excited for Yooka-Laylee? I'm pretty pumped for this Banjo-esque platformer. Another game I wish received a bit of love during the Switch reveal. Nonetheless, it's due to release soon.

*raises hand*

I'm pretty likely to buy this so long as it doesn't crash and burn. Understandably, they've got to prove it's quality first, and then I'll buy.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 27, 2017, 01:41:23 AM »
I wouldnt say Im excited for Yooka Laylee, but I will definitely buy it as soon as the switch version comes out. I was disappointed about the Wii U version getting cancelled.

That touch screen action looks good too.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 27, 2017, 02:48:31 AM »
Any word on the Marvel Square Enix Games coming to Switch?

actually, I don't think I saw any mention of the SE Marvel game(s) on this site at all.

Is no one excited behind the potential of the MGU? (Marvel Gaming Universe)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 03:25:18 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 27, 2017, 08:34:01 AM »
It was a trailer with some words and not much else. No platforms have been announced, but I'm going to go ahead and assume it's not coming to Switch until Squeenix say otherwise.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV