Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 276679 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Switch Discussion (March 3, 2017 Release) -Updated OP-
« Reply #375 on: January 17, 2017, 07:18:37 PM »
Switch won't have Netflix at launch. The hits keep on coming!

This thing could've been perfect for Netflix, especially if it supported downloads.  You could download a show in 720p and start streaming 1080p when you get home and dock it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #376 on: January 17, 2017, 07:40:26 PM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the JoyCon Grip that comes with the system is NOT the same as the Charging Grip that Nintendo is selling separately.

source

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 17, 2017, 08:43:02 PM »
With a battery life of 20 hours, I can't see why people would be too torn up about the lack of charging, especially since there seem to be numerous other ways to charge the battery. But what do I know, people will complain about it anyway.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 17, 2017, 09:01:07 PM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the JoyCon Grip that comes with the system is NOT the same as the Charging Grip that Nintendo is selling separately.

source

I believe it was mentioned, but for $30, I'm assuming it has battery in it that will charge the joycons while attached (unplugged), and not just allow you to charge the joycons while attached and plugged in

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #379 on: January 17, 2017, 11:49:59 PM »
I mean, all you have to do is put the JoyCon back on the switch when you're done. Not too hard. But the charging grip would ensure your JoyCon are ready to go should you need to go portable right away.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 18, 2017, 12:25:49 AM »
I think it's ok to call out Nintendo for bundling an inferior grip on their $300 console. One they apparently have no intention of selling on its own separately. (EDIT: Because it would be absolutely useless)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:49:04 AM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 18, 2017, 12:39:36 AM »
I figure the Charging Grip also doubles as a simple Joy-Con charger, even when not in use right? It's self-standing, and the charging plug goes in the top, so you can just stand it with the Joy-Cons attached and plug it in and voila, instant Dual Joy-Con charging dock?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 18, 2017, 04:14:29 AM »
I will probably get a Pro Controller at launch, so I dont think those joycons will be coming off very often.
I was going to say that I want a second power adapter too, but I wonder if the USB-C charger for my phone (Lumia 950) would be ok.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 18, 2017, 08:12:17 AM »
I don't think consumers should be criticized for being too negative. The rational response to "aggressive pricing" is to publicly trash a product as loudly as frequently as possible regardless of how much you honestly like it. Nintendo knows they are creating a negative environment and they literally don't care. This is a company that has nickel-and-dining written into its DNA. Unfortunately, constant negativity isn't good for forum reading or fandom in general, so I want to focus on the stuff I like, but ultimately Nintendo is to blame for consumer attitudes.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:06:52 AM by rygar »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 18, 2017, 08:38:23 AM »

Maybe I'm spoiled here in comparison, but I have 4 or 5 pieces of hardware that play Netflix just fine that are already hooked up to TVs or in my pocket.  I'm not concerned if they don't have streaming services at launch.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #385 on: January 18, 2017, 10:07:04 AM »

Maybe I'm spoiled here in comparison, but I have 4 or 5 pieces of hardware that play Netflix just fine that are already hooked up to TVs or in my pocket.  I'm not concerned if they don't have streaming services at launch.

Yeah, but the problem is those 4 or 5 pieces can do/did Netflix day one out of the box.  It's basically a standard feature that competing products have that the Switch won't initially.  It's also one of those things people would ask about when thinking of buying one.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 18, 2017, 10:11:25 AM »
I think the issue with Netflix is that it could make the Switch purchase more attractive for a parent vis-a-vis a more functional (but more expensive) tablet. As an adult, I specifically want different devices for gaming and audio/visual entertainment, but I would only want to buy my (hypothetical) child one device for both playing games and streaming video.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 18, 2017, 10:45:28 AM »

Yeah, but the problem is those 4 or 5 pieces can do/did Netflix day one out of the box.  It's basically a standard feature that competing products have that the Switch won't initially.  It's also one of those things people would ask about when thinking of buying one.

I guess I just question how much of a problem it actually is.  I'm making assumptions that:

1) Most of the initial stock is going to people who are preordering or gamers who want to play Nintendo games first and foremost
2) People who buy the Switch year 1 are "early adopters" who likely will have other means of watching Netflix.
3) Parents of children who would want a Switch wouldn't be getting a Switch to be the child's tablet, if they were concerned about getting a tablet that would just "check all the boxes" of games + netflix.  There are sub $100 options that fit that bill that an uninformed parent would choose over a $300 console.

Agree to disagree if your experience differs, but in my group of peers and even relatives older than me, every tv, phone, tablet, toaster has a netflix app, so the absence of one for the Switch until a yet-to-be-determined date is a non-issue.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 18, 2017, 11:03:07 AM »
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 1080p 60fps (the 59fps stutter appears to have been fixed)
Splatoon 2: 720p 60fps

Consensus is both games look liked slightly souped up Wii U versions for a console, but look incredible for handheld tech.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 18, 2017, 11:13:28 AM »
Yeah, my experience is different. Very few kids I know have newly purchased smart phones/tablets unless their parents are upper-middle class or richer. The other kids tend to get whatever device the parent upgrades from, usually on the same ecosystem as their parents devices. I just think having Netflix is another inducement, which seems even more necessary because of the relatively high price, but I do get your point about the limited stock/initial purchasers.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #390 on: January 18, 2017, 11:46:33 AM »

I guess I just question how much of a problem it actually is.  I'm making assumptions that:

1) Most of the initial stock is going to people who are preordering or gamers who want to play Nintendo games first and foremost
2) People who buy the Switch year 1 are "early adopters" who likely will have other means of watching Netflix.
3) Parents of children who would want a Switch wouldn't be getting a Switch to be the child's tablet, if they were concerned about getting a tablet that would just "check all the boxes" of games + netflix.  There are sub $100 options that fit that bill that an uninformed parent would choose over a $300 console.

Agree to disagree if your experience differs, but in my group of peers and even relatives older than me, every tv, phone, tablet, toaster has a netflix app, so the absence of one for the Switch until a yet-to-be-determined date is a non-issue.

Your points are valid in that it's not a deal breaker for who's going to be buying this system out of the gate.  I just worry that having such an obvious mark against it would hurt potential sales.  It's not just about already having a device that has Netflix either.  People (casuals) might not want to carry an extra device if it only has games.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #391 on: January 18, 2017, 11:53:52 AM »
As long as it's coming shortly after launch, such as the people who would find it relevant have it, then it being absent at launch can be mitigated. (In Nintendo's eyes, a Netflix app just sucks up time you could be playing Breath of the Unity.)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #392 on: January 18, 2017, 12:05:18 PM »
Yeah, I guess it just depends on the timing.

Offline Clonester11

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 18, 2017, 06:06:04 PM »
The issue is not so much whether people need Netflix on their Switch, but that 1) People like features added to their technology, not taken away, and 2) People like options. Perhaps you might use Netflix, or perhaps you don't. But at least the option would be there. Especially when it comes to an easy and inexpensive option like steaming services such as Netflix.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 18, 2017, 08:20:17 PM »
So long as they get it working on the system by the Fall/Holiday season it should not be too much of an issue. If they miss that window it could very well hurt them.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 19, 2017, 08:03:29 AM »
Super Bomberman R is confirmed to be $50.

In related news, I will no longer be purchasing Super Bomberman R at launch.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 19, 2017, 08:27:12 AM »
I don't understand the thought process there, unless there's a ton of content we're not aware of. They put out seemingly very similar Bomberman games on the various download services last gen for $15
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 19, 2017, 09:22:27 AM »
The issue is not so much whether people need Netflix on their Switch, but that 1) People like features added to their technology, not taken away, and 2) People like options. Perhaps you might use Netflix, or perhaps you don't. But at least the option would be there. Especially when it comes to an easy and inexpensive option like steaming services such as Netflix.

I don't disagree that Netflix is desirable to have on the Switch.  My argument is that I doubt that'll be THE reason someone makes a decision not to buy one within year one.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 19, 2017, 09:24:17 AM »
Super Bomberman R is confirmed to be $50.

In related news, I will no longer be purchasing Super Bomberman R at launch.

SAD!

I will also be looking to vulture this game for $20 once it doesn't sell well.  The problem is this is the perfect kind of game I would want installed on the hard drive so I don't have to swap cartridges for a few quick matches.

What is with the pricing of these games?  They're just trying to milk their last handful of fans who are starved for Bomberman?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #399 on: January 19, 2017, 10:44:35 AM »
I would've bit at $40. :(