Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 275925 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion (March 3, 2017 Release)
« Reply #325 on: January 14, 2017, 03:55:06 PM »
Anyone care to provide me with the Detailed Summary of everything we know about the Switch?

specs, accessories, games, price, value, etc etc etc.

Offline Clonester11

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 14, 2017, 04:11:40 PM »
There are three things I wanted to see from the Switch full reveal: 1) A reasonable price, 2) Long term third party support, and 3) Good games

1) A reasonable price: Here in Canada, the Xbox 1 is $299. The Switch: $399. Are you kidding me? All the peripherals are expensive too. So I pay $400 for the console, an extra controller is $70 or $80, a large micro SD card is pricy (256 GB $99 off Amazon.ca?), each game is $80 (and Nintendo rarely drops the price on their games). Even Mario Kart 8, which I own for the Wii U and love, is full price. Again, are you kidding me? So I could conceivably paying $700 to $800 after tax for a system with 2 games, a memory card, and an extra controller. Who, apart from dedicated Nintendo fans, will go for that when a 1 TB Xbox 1 sells for $299 and games are discounted more readily?

$250 was the sweet spot. If the system doesn't start out strong out of the gate, consumers will lose interest. And if they do, third parties will not support it...

2) Long Term Third Party Support: The Gamecube was not a huge success, but at least it had some third party support. The Wii? Nothing. The Wii U? A few games in the first year, then nothing. There were a few third party games revealed, but nothing to indicate they are here to stay. The potential is there, but they are killing momentum. If first year sales aren't strong, then goodbye third party support. Then we have Wii U 2.0.

3) Good games:  Nintendo held off a long time to reveal the Switch. Nothing at last year's E3. Then they reveal the first video showing off the console.... I thought the full reveal would blow us away... But I was completely underwhelmed. You've had all this time... Where are the games? Yes, LoZ looks amazing, yes Mario has me piqued. Is a Mario Kart port I already own supposed to get me excited? A couple party games that aren't even bundled with the console? Wow, FIFA is coming. Big deal. If your console is doing well, FIFA shouldn't even be an issue. The Wii U had a FIFA game, then nothing. The only thing that impressed me was the RPG support. But is that it? Are you kidding me? I knew about the console already, I wanted to know about the games? Are they holding back? If so, why? What is Retro working on? Nintendo needed a home run, and they didn't bring it.

And virtual console... What gives? I just want a method where I can buy a library of older games and have that library transfer to other systems. I'm tired of having to re-buy Super Mario World multiple times and having to wait 3 years for a classic game that was released on the Wii virtual console. In the end, I just stopped buying virtual console games. Perhaps they fixed that with the Switch... But we don't know. Why not? They need to fix it. But instead, we are left with more questions than answers.

In the end, the Switch is an amazing piece of hardware. But with everything else... Nintendo completely missed the mark.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 14, 2017, 06:18:17 PM »
Anyone care to provide me with the Detailed Summary of everything we know about the Switch?

I've updated the OP with more information.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 14, 2017, 07:01:02 PM »
1) A reasonable price: Here in Canada, the Xbox 1 is $299. The Switch: $399. Are you kidding me?

Could be worse. Its $470 here in Australia.

I think we will see more new games at E3.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 14, 2017, 07:20:31 PM »
1) A reasonable price: Here in Canada, the Xbox 1 is $299. The Switch: $399. Are you kidding me?

Could be worse. Its $470 here in Australia.

I think we will see more new games at E3.

That's no consolation at all.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Re: Switch Discussion (March 3, 2017 Release) -Updated OP-
« Reply #330 on: January 14, 2017, 07:48:05 PM »

I've updated the OP with more information.

Those wrist strap button add-ons is a nice touch. not enough to bump the price of individual or bundled joy-cons, but it looks much better and easier to use with the added bulk and buttons.

now where are all the featured 3rd party games?
I see a list w/ a few familiar names, but I don't see more than a few big 3rd party franchises.

what's rumored or announced that should be pretty notable, as far as 3rd parties go?

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 14, 2017, 08:14:30 PM »
There were a lot of game rumors flying around, but not well-supported like many of the (accurate) hardware rumors and few have panned out thus far.

Notable ones that I saw:

-Mario vs Rabbids crossover strategy RPG by Ubisoft (originally rumored to be a launch title but delayed, probably real)

-Beyond Good and Evil 2 (or Zero, rumored to be a timed exclusive by Ubisoft, probably real because the game officially exists, at least)

-Resident Evil 7 from Capcom (they're rumored to be having trouble getting it up to speed on Switch, so this could be a no-go; I would have expected an announcement as it's launching soon)

-Dark Souls Trilogy by From Software (this one seems to be closer to fan speculation than not, wouldn't hold my breath)

-Overwatch from Blizzard (this kicked up recently, but again I suspect this to be more wishful thinking than anything)

-Final Fantasy 6 remake from Square (an odd concept, and I honestly thought that was what Project Octopath was going to be at first, so I'm guessing that's where the rumor came from)

-Supposedly definitely not coming: Mass Effect Andromeda, Red Dead 2

I definitely expected more third-party support announced, even if it was clearly one-off stuff like Rise of the Tomb Raider with a Samus costume.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 14, 2017, 08:23:49 PM »
I want Overwatch ported to Switch but only if I can buy a Gremlin D.Va Amiibo.

Resident Evil 7 would be nice so I don't have to buy a PS4.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 14, 2017, 08:29:06 PM »
Overwatch would be great but I'm not holding my breath for it.

I really hope Square digs in with the Final Fantasy 7 Reboot.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 14, 2017, 08:54:08 PM »
For a console that launches in just about 6 weeks, there are far too many questions that have yet to be answered. This leads me to believe that there will be several more Nintendo Directs before launch. At least 3.

While i'm not expecting a specs break down, I expect to at least know how much RAM is in the thing?

Will games need any type of install or are they playing of the cart directly?

Web browser, Netflix Hulu, etc...

Are there Joy-Cons with different features?  Joy-Camera? Dpad?

It's not e3 but there needs to be more explanation?

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 14, 2017, 09:26:33 PM »
Something that I just now realized: Ubisoft's Steep requires you always be connected to the internet to play. If that requirement stays then it's not really going to work well with Switch now, is it? I am genuinely interested in seeing how devs will handle games with always-online.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 14, 2017, 09:44:32 PM »
I imagine developers won't handle the games differently, and you can only play always online games when online. That isn't meant to sound snarky. If you buy a game with an online requirement, you're either connected at least some of the time or you didn't read the box. I think those games still work fine on Switch.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 14, 2017, 11:42:57 PM »
When it comes to disclosure, Nintendo is running a (speed walking?) marathon when everyone else thought Nintendo ways going to or needed to run a sprint.

I hope we have a Direct or two in the next several weeks, but I wouldn't be too bothered if we don't.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #338 on: January 15, 2017, 01:02:00 AM »

I have the sense that Sony is footing the bill for this one (hence the FF6 remake rumor).

Edit:
I hope we have a Direct or two in the next several weeks, but I wouldn't be too bothered if we don't.

We have one Wednesday, but it's a Fire Emblem-specific one.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Wanderlei

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 15, 2017, 07:11:30 AM »
I was very optimistic after first teaser trailer released but quite pessimistic after full unveil. I thought having Skyrim might have been tip of iceberg in getting back the shared games but turns out it is the whole iceberg. Its possible they are holding back, but that is bad move because once you lose momentum its hard to retrieve, just ask xbox one. Then with price, if they high are balling now because they know early adopters buy no matter what and leaving room for price-cuts later on. Again can mess up momentum, then sales are slow, third parties get scared off even more, it just snowballs.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 15, 2017, 04:38:24 PM »
I feel like there are two factions within Nintendo at work with the Switch.  The first one seems to have a good idea of what they're doing.  They came up with the hybrid idea and spearheaded essentially all the first party games shown in the presentation after Arms.  Then you have the second group, the one that likely spearheaded the Wii and the Wii U and they want to double down on Wii style motion controls and do price gouging.  Half of the Switch seems so on the ball and the other half is just out-to-lunch.  But I figure this is all a compromise between Nintendo's young blood and the old guard.  The Wii was a big success and it was all about simple games with gimmicky controls and lots of revenue from accessories.  So if you were trying to cling to that past success you would be pushing for titles like 1-2 Switch and Arms and insist in a high mark up to make a healthy profit off of every accessory.

Even the Wii U seemed to have that inconsistent tone.  The whole approach to having the screen controller seemed like an attempt to recapture the Wii formula of focusing on a unique controller.  But it didn't take long for the games to move towards mostly core gamer focused titles and a lot of them didn't even use the screen in a meaningful way.  But then suddenly a very Wii-style game like Star Fox Zero would come out of nowhere and look like a relic for a lost age in comparison and would go over like a fart in church because the audience that would have wanted it are long gone.

So in 2017 games like Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade 2 and Super Mario Odyssey seem like the sort of games that console customers expect but something like 1-2 Switch is like some game from ten years ago snuck its way in, aimed at the cellphone gamers that won't even know of its existence and will never buy a dedicated videogame system ever again.  That feels like a geezer from the Wii years insisting on the type of game he understands and still thinks has selling power being made and getting the first focus in the presentation.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 15, 2017, 04:41:42 PM »
Regardless of whatever graphic Nintendo puts out, I am Setsuna will be releasing at launch.

I have the sense that Sony is footing the bill for this one (hence the FF6 remake rumor).

Hasn't it been timed exclusivity from the start? The reveal trailer even said "Play it first on PS4".
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 04:43:30 PM by Soren »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #342 on: January 15, 2017, 05:22:58 PM »
First on PS4, then to PC later.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 15, 2017, 05:52:35 PM »
DId you guys see this?

Immersion's Haptic TouchSense is tech used on the Switch touch screen:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170113005112/en/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/immersion-nintendo-bring-touchsense-tech-to-switch/

basically feel things on the touch screen. So HD Rumble is only part of it. Haptic Touch is another part of the cost and innovation.

Personally I'm fine wit the price of the system. But I'm still not sold on the cost of the accessories.
seeing how the "haptic" HD rumble is something new, you can make a case for more expensive joy-cons, which translates into a more expensive pro-con, but not that damn expensive. And there is NO justification for the {graphic expression}bent over hole gaping rape that is the price of the dock, but now i need to test this thing out for myself.
Local mutli that isn't split controller is definitely out of the question till big holiday price drop and simo sale.

edit: on a more thorough read-thru, I don't know if this is talking about the touch screen, the HD rumble feedback, or maybe both... guess we gotta wait for more info.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 06:17:12 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 15, 2017, 06:41:41 PM »
I read about Touchsense earlier. It's cool and all. However, since Nintendo didn't even bother to mention it, there isn't much to talk about.

And unless HD rumble adds like $30 to $40, one can't even begin to make a case for the Joy-Con/Pro Controller price. The rest of the tech is old and cheap. Did Nintendo even include a magnetometer? I don't recall Nintendo mentioning it (though it appeared in Switch patents, I believe). If not, that's something included in the Wii U Gamepad that was taken out. Otherwise, as previously stated, one need only look to the dock to see the extent of Nintendo's price gouging. There's absolutely no reason to believe that's where Nintendo drew the line and all the other peripherals are fairly priced.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 15, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »
I don't know what the HD rumble tech cost implement, nor the cost to the license to use it, which is why I said you can begin to make a case for the more expensive joy/pro-cons. But I'm still not down with how expensive they are regardless of what is in them.

$110.00+tax for a complete separate joycon controller is just absurd.
You're gonna have to make friends w/ other people that have a Switch if you want to play local multi, because you will need to BYOS.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 15, 2017, 07:38:50 PM »
You know, you could always, I dunno, not buy the accessories if you think they're overpriced.

The Switch does come with a dock and two controllers.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 15, 2017, 10:01:23 PM »
You know, you could always, I dunno, not buy the accessories if you think they're overpriced.

The Switch does come with a dock and two controllers.

At this point in time, I'm not sold on a launch buy-in.
At this point in time, I'm not even considering buying any peripherals, not even for future games that may use them that I know I would probably buy just for the multi-player.
I am aware that 1 (ONE) controller is able to split into 2 smaller ones for local multi
and I am aware that that may suffice for the launch games should I be sold on that launch buy-in.
But knowing that I don't want to afford a 2nd full controller should the situation require/demand/prefer one is sort of a lingering thought at this moment.

maybe it fades once I get some hands on. maybe it fades once I get to see more of games that interest me. maybe none of it matters once launch hype hits. I don't know, but as of right now, I'm not even sold on the launch buy-in pre-order hype train.

I consider myself the resident lapsed gamer, and Nintendo has it's work cut out for it.
I'm intrigued by the tech, but what they have shown so far has not triggered my desire to play.

Had they shown me a price point on a dock where I can buy a few and hook up to multiple TV's around the house completely hassle free, then that would have been a selling point right there.
Honestly, I'm not even sure they are aware of the added value of that feature, and the way they priced it, it might as well not even be an option.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #348 on: January 15, 2017, 10:27:40 PM »
Nintendo announced the product...give them time.  Nintendo self corrected on the 3DS because they thought the perceived value was good. 

The Switch Controllers are really cool and I like the fact that for simple games I can have 2 full Switch Controllers covert to either A) 2 Full Nunchuck/Wii remote controllers.  4 SNES controllers.  or 1 Full Functioning Game Controller.  The prices are slightly high, but Give them 4-6 months and it will change.

Also, give Nintendo time to here the complaints about the SNES/NES game available for a month only and then they might change their mind.  UNLESS Nintendo decides to charge only $25 for the service.

I think Nintendo will adjust and correct ship quickly.  The Dock will be repriced.  The controllers probably not.  But I think they need to sell them bundled together with the controller attachment...just a simple single purchase. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 15, 2017, 11:28:26 PM »
Nintendo announced the product...give them time.  Nintendo self corrected on the 3DS because they thought the perceived value was good. 

The Switch Controllers are really cool and I like the fact that for simple games I can have 2 full Switch Controllers covert to either A) 2 Full Nunchuck/Wii remote controllers.  4 SNES controllers.  or 1 Full Functioning Game Controller.  The prices are slightly high, but Give them 4-6 months and it will change.

Also, give Nintendo time to here the complaints about the SNES/NES game available for a month only and then they might change their mind.  UNLESS Nintendo decides to charge only $25 for the service.

I think Nintendo will adjust and correct ship quickly.  The Dock will be repriced.  The controllers probably not.  But I think they need to sell them bundled together with the controller attachment...just a simple single purchase. 
Give Nintendo time? No. Absolutely not. A company does not get to fail at launching its last handheld AND console at an acceptable market price and get another pass. That can get right the **** out of my face. You mention Nintendo self-correcting with 3DS. How about not fucking doing that in the first place let alone continually doing so afterwards? I am, of course, referring to Switch peripherals. I think $299.99 is okay though a pack-in game would have been better. $249.99 was the magic number in which fence sitters could probably convince themselves to make the jump. And $199.99 may have kept Switch sold out for the rest of the year.

In any case, I don't know how Nintendo keeps getting this wrong. What makes this especially weird is that Nintendo offers industry-best value on downloadable content. As a software company that primarily makes its profits by publishing games, Nintendo is more than generous with offering content yet strangely stingy with the hardware to play it on.