Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 276341 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion (March 3, 2017 Release)
« Reply #300 on: January 13, 2017, 02:18:30 PM »
At launch, Wii U owners were spoiled with choices in many genres. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games#Eighth_generation

Unless you really like RPGs, you're SOL with the current project Switch launch titles.
The only think lacking fro the Switch lineup right now are FPS. I see lots of similarities, otherwise.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

« Reply #301 on: January 13, 2017, 02:35:10 PM »
So apparently the Joy-Con Grip that comes bundled with the console does not allow you to charge the Joy-Cons.

The charging grip will be sold separately for $30.

This is a console that costs $300.

I have no words.

They can be charged without the charging grip, though.
I am NOT MysticGohan.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 13, 2017, 03:37:37 PM »
At launch, Wii U owners were spoiled with choices in many genres. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games#Eighth_generation

Unless you really like RPGs, you're SOL with the current project Switch launch titles.
The only think lacking fro the Switch lineup right now are FPS. I see lots of similarities, otherwise.

Guys, the Switch Lineup for 2017 is sizeable, but right now all I can confirm are FIVE launch day titles, and FOUR more titles coming in March.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/43955/the-nintendo-switch-north-america-launch-lineup-so-far

Obviously that's subject to change, but launch day/month is pretty small for Switch, smaller than both the Wii AND Wii U when I ended up buying a whole SLEW of games both first and third-party.

I wonder if this is a result of the March launch. It could be that all third-party dev cycles are aligned towards Fall launches, so if a console launches in March like the Switch is then third-parties aren't going to jump in with their offerings (assuming the jump in at all) until 6 months later.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 13, 2017, 03:52:40 PM »
I think it's definitely a matter of the March launch. The other sad thing is that Nintendo have said themselves that they don't sell game in the summer, so the season following will likely be pretty light.

I understand that people want variety at launch, but who buys a slew of full-priced games at launch? That doesn't seem feasible to me.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #304 on: January 13, 2017, 03:56:32 PM »
I'm really interested in Zelda, Bomberman, and Skylanders. Looking into Disgaea 5 too.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 13, 2017, 04:10:56 PM »
I dunno, the thin launch line-up is giving me a bit of a sinking feeling. Sure, March is off launch cycle for most third-parties, but we're not even seeing the obligatory three-month-late ports of stuff, outside of Steep (which I thought I saw a rumor has already been canceled because it bombed on the other consoles). I get that Bethesda probably didn't want to launch Skyrim right along Zelda, but it's not coming out until the fall. That's way late. And aside from Fifa, were there other western third-party games even mentioned?

I guess to be optimistic you could speculate that Nintendo is holding back for a big E3 blow-out, but that seems, uh, unwise when the actual launch happens three months before that, and their last console was basically dead in the water six months after launch, with the only spark of hope being the debut of new Smash and Kart games. And now we're getting . . . ports of those same games with new entries far out in the future.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 04:18:59 PM by MagicCow64 »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 13, 2017, 04:33:39 PM »
Despite the fact that I am getting one at launch, and that I already see a number of games that I really want to play, I agree that the lineup looks bleak so far. If some developers are holding out because they are still working on games or because they're looking for a general reaction, that should be the one thing they take away.

There's still a lot to love about Switch 2017- it has a lot of powerhouse Nintendo franchises to start off a good first year, but there needs to be some support from third parties too.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 13, 2017, 04:51:58 PM »
That reveal presentation was just terrible. It won't sway hardly anyone to buy a Switch that is already invested in a PS4 or XB1.

It was so Japan-centric. They really should have done a completely different presentation for NA or maybe for both NA and Europe. Nintendo of America could have at least focused on things important to "western" gamers, like kick-ass, non-kiddie or odd Japanese-y games. "ARMS" isn't going to move consoles and "1, 2, Switch" looks shallow and potentially embarrassing yet they spent so much time on these games. Nintendo really needs to win-over NA gamers much more than Japan gamers, I think. It's like they took all the hype and good-will gained from the intriguing reveal trailer and let it slip away in an hour long balloon deflate.

So, bad marks for presentation skills. But what about the meat? Also not good news.

The launch line-up is sparse. The online is sketchy (involving a smartphone to use) and soon will cost money. How much? Who knows.
The tech is interesting and they focused on the controllers, a LOT, but rather like the Wii U, they didn't seem to have a showcase game that proved the business case for all the fancy things the controllers can do. And NA gamers are, I hate to say it, no longer interested in "delightful" new experiences that can be facilitated by fancy motion controllers. I love that they have invested in updating the tech for the rumble feature, that they introduced to console gaming in the first place, but what's the game that's going to showcase the feature? Beats me.

The price is too high. It is $50 too high. There is just no two ways about that. They have priced themselves out of "attractive second console purchase" territory. And there is no pack-in game. You MUST buy a game with the console or there is nothing it can do to amuse you right out of the box. No "Face-Raiders" or "AR Cards", no "Wii Sports" or Nintendo Land". Nothing. And games are expensive. Why isn't "1,2, Switch" a pack-in? Because Nintendo is trying to cash-in!

Yes, Nintendo is gouging us. A console priced too high, no pack-in game, online no longer free. And the accessories? VERY expensive. We all want a pro-controller. Well, your old one won't work so pony-up, Pony-Boy and I hope you stayed have gold! And the Joy-Cons are expensive if you want extras for the much-touted local-multiplayer features. And do you want a Joy-Con grip that also charges your controllers? Good! Pay-up!

So, right now, I am really on the fence about the Switch. That's why I have only pre-ordered 2.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 13, 2017, 05:25:04 PM »
That reveal presentation was just terrible. It won't sway hardly anyone to buy a Switch that is already invested in a PS4 or XB1.

It was so Japan-centric. They really should have done a completely different presentation for NA or maybe for both NA and Europe. Nintendo of America could have at least focused on things important to "western" gamers, like kick-ass, non-kiddie or odd Japanese-y games. "ARMS" isn't going to move consoles and "1, 2, Switch" looks shallow and potentially embarrassing yet they spent so much time on these games. Nintendo really needs to win-over NA gamers much more than Japan gamers, I think. It's like they took all the hype and good-will gained from the intriguing reveal trailer and let it slip away in an hour long balloon deflate.

So, bad marks for presentation skills. But what about the meat? Also not good news.

The launch line-up is sparse. The online is sketchy (involving a smartphone to use) and soon will cost money. How much? Who knows.
The tech is interesting and they focused on the controllers, a LOT, but rather like the Wii U, they didn't seem to have a showcase game that proved the business case for all the fancy things the controllers can do. And NA gamers are, I hate to say it, no longer interested in "delightful" new experiences that can be facilitated by fancy motion controllers. I love that they have invested in updating the tech for the rumble feature, that they introduced to console gaming in the first place, but what's the game that's going to showcase the feature? Beats me.

The price is too high. It is $50 too high. There is just no two ways about that. They have priced themselves out of "attractive second console purchase" territory. And there is no pack-in game. You MUST buy a game with the console or there is nothing it can do to amuse you right out of the box. No "Face-Raiders" or "AR Cards", no "Wii Sports" or Nintendo Land". Nothing. And games are expensive. Why isn't "1,2, Switch" a pack-in? Because Nintendo is trying to cash-in!

Yes, Nintendo is gouging us. A console priced too high, no pack-in game, online no longer free. And the accessories? VERY expensive. We all want a pro-controller. Well, your old one won't work so pony-up, Pony-Boy and I hope you stayed have gold! And the Joy-Cons are expensive if you want extras for the much-touted local-multiplayer features. And do you want a Joy-Con grip that also charges your controllers? Good! Pay-up!

So, right now, I am really on the fence about the Switch. That's why I have only pre-ordered 2.

I started the night with a lot of enthusiasm, became disappointed as the presentation progressed, and ended up with schadenfreude at the end. At this price (it's essentially $400 for a handheld and $500 for a console with a decent controller), and with this software lineup, I don't see it being successful with the demographics they postured as targeting in that original reveal trailer. I believe in the concept, but not this execution. I'll definitely be buying one eventually, but I see no reason to upgrade my 3DS in the short term at that cost and software lineup, and I certainly won't waste my time trying to persuade friends to buy one (let alone buy anyone one like I did with the 3DS).

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 13, 2017, 05:51:13 PM »
You know, I made a comment about this in the past, when everyone was on their post-initial-teaser-trailer highs, asking who the Switch was being marketed towards/ Everyone ignored me.

But I bring it back up- I understand why people are upset that a second set of controllers is so pricey, but the whole point of the Switch is that it already has 2-player available to people right out of the box. If Nintendo is hoping to sell these to a lot of people, they expect others to have Joy Con as well and be able to enjoy those games along side friends.

Then, of course, you come back to the real question- who is this being marketed towards? Does Nintendo expect everyone to buy a Switch, or are they expecting ever other person to buy a Switch? Even then, the odds are decent that you won't have to buy additional Joy Con. But one-in-three people? Or, the most likely scenario, one-in-four? Then you have a problem with how the Joy Con are priced... for games that require both left and right. It makes me wonder more and more what this console is striving to achieve, especially in its early months- it's clear Nintendo wants people to buy 1 2 Switch! and take it to parties and try to get early adopters to convince others for when holiday rolls around... but that only offers a handful of experiences for people before more Joy Cons need to be utilized to introduce them to other games on the system.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 13, 2017, 05:59:32 PM »
Reggie on Metroid and Mother 3

"So I have nothing to announce--here. But we are aware that there are some key IP that consumers just can't wait for the next true installment in that franchise's legacy. Suffice it to say, we're aware of it, and talk to me in a year and let's look back and see what's happened."
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 13, 2017, 06:03:17 PM »
I was hoping with how the trailer was so obviously being marketed to non-Nintendo gaming demographics that they actually had products to sell to them. Maybe they do, but I doubt it so far, and with the price being so high initially, I doubt they'll be able to sell the convenience factor either.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 13, 2017, 07:10:10 PM »
I might have missed someone else posting this in the flurry of posts today, but they showed that Switch supports micro-SD cards of (at least) 256 GB during Treehouse Live, and the slot is right there when you open up the kickstand (so no New 3DS, open the back panel nonsense). I also saw that Breath of the Wild is only 13.4 GB on Switch (13.0 GB on Wii U), so that's encouraging... but I guess the issue with storage has always been with regard to big third party games.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 13, 2017, 07:22:25 PM »
Im extremely happy with all of the hardware for the Switch. I cant wait to get my hands on it.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 13, 2017, 08:08:51 PM »
So I have two Switch Preorders. One for me, one for my brother. I also tell myself that this is a price-effective way of getting an extra dock and an extra two Joycons!

Also, though this launch lineup is thin, I'm starting to settle on 3 launch day games I'll be buying into and 7 total by the end of March. Personally, I'm going to have plenty to play as long as the battery doesn't give out.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 13, 2017, 08:18:57 PM »
Also, though this launch lineup is thin, I'm starting to settle on 3 launch day games I'll be buying into and 7 total by the end of March. Personally, I'm going to have plenty to play as long as the battery doesn't give out.
What are you planning on picking up? I've personally heard good things about I am Setsuna, but I'm obviously getting Zelda and probably going to get Bomberman and/or Snipperclips. The latter looks insanely cute.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 13, 2017, 09:09:34 PM »
What are you planning on picking up? I've personally heard good things about I am Setsuna, but I'm obviously getting Zelda and probably going to get Bomberman and/or Snipperclips. The latter looks insanely cute.

I bought a ton of games for both the Wii and Wii U launches, so MAYBE I'm going a bit overboard on all this stuff, but I'm personally eyeing for launch:

Zelda: BotW
Super Bomberman R
Just Dance 2017

and then the rest of March as far as I know:

I am Setsuna
Snipperclips
Has-Been Heroes
Fast RMX

I'm really thinking that Snipperclips will be the game I bust out with my younger cousins and say "Hey, let's solve a couple puzzles together for 20-30 minutes." And then Just Dance 2017 will be the game that I hook up on the big screen and try to get everyone involved over.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 13, 2017, 09:41:48 PM »
They are totally going to have to justify the price. There's no way around it. It must be a lot closer to Xbox One than to Wii U, huh? Right?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:44:51 PM by Agent-X- »

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 14, 2017, 12:49:21 AM »

I posted this on this forum

July 06, 2015, 12:02:48 PM
The Wii U with 4GB of RAM and 25% more in both cpu and gpu would be more than capable of competing in the new "Hybrid Market" I haven't done the hard math but I'm  sure with these specs (and no 2x screen rendering) the NX would be able to do DX11 (can almost do it now), Unity 5, Unreal 4 and CryEngine (4) with no compromises.
From a pricing structure I'm also fairly sure you can pull this off in a tablet for $200 US. Add the HDMI Dongle and Dock for another $30 more and boom, another classic Nintendo Winner!

BOY WAS I WRONG ON THAT PRICE!

Offline Clonester11

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 14, 2017, 07:53:45 AM »
The past few months I was starting to think that Nintendo has finally got it right and has rectified the issues that have plagued it the past few console generations. Boy was I wrong.

Let me start by saying I love the console itself. It's perfect IMO. I love the concept of the console/portable hybrid. But I can't support the system as it stands now.

However, Nintendo has completely dropped the ball on this one. I live in Canada, and every media outlet is roasting the Switch as a "disappointment" and "too expensive". Not good. The more information that comes out about the Switch, the less convinced I am that it will succeed. If I want to put down a lot of money for a good console with a few great games that completely tanked, I have a Wii U for that.

I've heard the argument that they can keep the price high for a few months to maximize profit, then drop the price before the holidays. However, momentum is a tricky thing. Once you lose it, it is hard to get it back. Nintendo had momentum after the initial reveal, but they are quickly losing it. Dedicated fans will buy it, but what about everyone else? Third parties are somewhat supporting it, but that was the case with the Wii U launch as well.

As much as I love the concept, and I'm sure there will be several great games... But a console is an investment, and I'm not so sure it's a wise investment at this point.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 14, 2017, 09:01:44 AM »

BOY WAS I WRONG ON THAT PRICE!

I mean, you're not totally wrong. We all just failed to account for the stuff they put on the controls. And the fact that they may be trying to gouge the early adopters with ridiculous prices for every little accessory.

Apparently the Joy Con battery life is around 20 hours so I'm not as pissed off over the lack of charging grip on the SKUs.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 14, 2017, 12:33:26 PM »
I can understand WHY the Joycons are expensive. Each really is a COMPLETE controller, with battery, wireless, HD Rumble, etc. In many ways the switch is a two controller system, which maybe we forgot to account for in terms of price.

It's the Dock that Nintendo is price gouging on accessories for. Dear god.

As for the Switch itself, I still maintain that they probably have room to drop the price later on, and that they probably will be forced to ala the 3DS. I think a big factor for the high price point is the unfavorable foreign exchange rate to the Japanese Yen, and that Nintendo seems desperate to turn a profit lately and they somehow got it in their heads that they might be able to get a small bump to that effect off of the backs of early adopters.

Also I don't think they'll have lots of stock early on anyways (2 million in NA, Japan, PAL-land over all of March), and maybe their software library won't be robust enough at launch to really sustain a mass-market push. It might be more beneficial to drop the price to 250 during the holidays when they have more games to truly interest people, have a better idea what works and doesn't, and can get a momentum boost from Holiday shopping.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 14, 2017, 01:48:24 PM »
I think a big factor for the high price point is the unfavorable foreign exchange rate to the Japanese Yen...

I hadn't thought about this angle. How are you factoring in the benefits of the strong Yen as an offset? I'm genuinely interested, not being argumentative.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 14, 2017, 02:54:31 PM »
I don't see the Joy Cons as two controllers and there being value in that because odds are the only games that are going to use those tiny NES style controllers will be casual fluff like 1-2 Switch.  The worthwhile games will probably need the full controller.  At the very least if you limit yourself to just using the 2 Joy Cons as your two controllers it just isn't going to cover all bases.  They will only work for certain games.

I really felt like Nintendo needed a really positive response to this event but they didn't get that.  There's too much negativity and for the position they're in they can't have that.  They needed to blow people away.  This isn't as bad as the Wii U debut where I felt like it was immediately the wrong product.  This just needs some work but the flexibility just isn't there for work to be done.  They're vulnerable enough that a high price and weak selection of launch games could just sink this thing instantly.  If this was the follow-up to the Wii I think they would be fine but the follow-up to the Wii U needed to be damn near perfect and this is too flawed.  It will need people to give it a chance but that isn't going to happen.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 14, 2017, 03:06:24 PM »
Everything about the console is too expensive. $299 for the system is too much, $90 for a dock, which they admit is just an AC adapter, USB 3.0 port and USB C connector, is a slap in the face. The dock should be like $20...at MOST. The controller prices are insane. Think of it this way - if the value of two joycons is $90, the dock is $90, then the console is worth $120.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA