Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 273835 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch Pre-Release Discussion (March 2017)
« Reply #175 on: October 25, 2016, 06:28:47 AM »
Also, the whole no announcements till 2017 thing is overblown. 2017 is a little over two months away.

Ijustimagine when people see this in motion

people will **** themselves
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:33:42 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 25, 2016, 10:49:56 AM »
I'm prepared for $349.99

But that's the Switch tablet and attached joycons, the joycon grip, the dock, hdmi cable, 1 power cable for the dock and one travel charger for the tablet.

I'm hoping this tablet has 128GB onboard with dual microSD slots for easy expansion.
I'm not even going to guess the specs right now, but a nice selection of pre-loaded starter software:
MiiMaker, Netflix, some Nintendoland like game, VirtualConsole, Internet browser, SwitchShop, MyNintendo, Switchboard MessengerTM (social media app), Media Manager, etc etc

It also better launch with a sleek and sexy looking UI that's actually very easy to use.
This must never look like a childrens toy in initial advertising directed at the mainstream media and hardcore gamers. This means no specialized joycons till the Xmas game bundles.

-It's gotta have a multi-touch screen, inward and outward camera on the tablet.
-Rumble, gyro, and possibly even pointer capabilities in the wireless, rechargeable joycons.
-The dock triggers active cooling, allowing full clock speed from the tablet, which means performance bump for 1080p (and 4k) UHDTV's. attached USB storage allows for a bottomless fridge full of endless media ready to be loaded on or off of  your main tablet consumption on the go.
-The joycon grip also allows for recharging the joycons at the same time, even while playing (some of these may seem obvious, but I'm stating it all the same).

and given that there are a bunch of good, interesting games that look GREAT graphically, as in on par with other systems, then I am fully prepared to drop $350 on this.

all the rest of you better go get a 2nd job, because Nintendo is Switch'NTM things up and moving out of the Gaming Ghetto.

Prepare to be disappointed.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 25, 2016, 12:02:17 PM »

With a list of "must haves" like that, I'd wager it's not the first time being left disappointed.
Not that it's an impossible list... but we've all been Nintendo fans for a while, right?

(But if your wishlist actually happens then I'll be hugely impressed with what Nintendo has put together!)
NNID: ejamer

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #178 on: October 25, 2016, 12:29:56 PM »
{image}
128GB USB nub. You'd hardly notice it, depending on where the USB drive on the portable would be.
assuming there would be one. I'd just prefer dual microSD slots.

But how much is the nub?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 25, 2016, 02:17:30 PM »
I don't think USB is an option for the tablet as a storage medium, they could very easily put a USB port on the device. But what are the logistics of lugging around a protable USB drive to store games on? Even if you go the flash route how is that better than SD cards?

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2016, 03:12:25 PM »
For comparison: to upgrade the memory on my New 3DS XL, I paid $18 USD for a Sandisk 32GB SD card in Nov '15 and $21 USD for a Samsung 64GB MicoSD card in June '16, both bought through Amazon (US).

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 25, 2016, 03:30:09 PM »
I'm prepared for $349.99

But that's the Switch tablet and attached joycons, the joycon grip, the dock, hdmi cable, 1 power cable for the dock and one travel charger for the tablet.

I'm hoping this tablet has 128GB onboard with dual microSD slots for easy expansion.
I'm not even going to guess the specs right now, but a nice selection of pre-loaded starter software:
MiiMaker, Netflix, some Nintendoland like game, VirtualConsole, Internet browser, SwitchShop, MyNintendo, Switchboard MessengerTM (social media app), Media Manager, etc etc

It also better launch with a sleek and sexy looking UI that's actually very easy to use.
This must never look like a childrens toy in initial advertising directed at the mainstream media and hardcore gamers. This means no specialized joycons till the Xmas game bundles.

-It's gotta have a multi-touch screen, inward and outward camera on the tablet.
-Rumble, gyro, and possibly even pointer capabilities in the wireless, rechargeable joycons.
-The dock triggers active cooling, allowing full clock speed from the tablet, which means performance bump for 1080p (and 4k) UHDTV's. attached USB storage allows for a bottomless fridge full of endless media ready to be loaded on or off of  your main tablet consumption on the go.
-The joycon grip also allows for recharging the joycons at the same time, even while playing (some of these may seem obvious, but I'm stating it all the same).

and given that there are a bunch of good, interesting games that look GREAT graphically, as in on par with other systems, then I am fully prepared to drop $350 on this.

all the rest of you better go get a 2nd job, because Nintendo is Switch'NTM things up and moving out of the Gaming Ghetto.

Ooh! These are fun!

That high price gives me ulcers though. I think Nintendo will definitely break things up and not make a one-box ultra bundle, thereby forcing you to buy accessories. Also, I can't help but overall hewing closely to the more conservative rumors from those people who seem to have a decent track record so far.

I'm thinking:
-a single SKU
-$249 (please god let this happen! This is one point where I'm allowing myself to be pie-in-the-sky)
-includes Switch, JoyCon L, JoyCon R, Dock, Power Cable, HDMI Cable

This would mean I would expect these accessories to be sold separately:
-JoyCon Grip
-Travel Charger for the Switch (the retail SKU only lets you charge when it's in the dock)
And of course the Switch Pro Controller

I do think the Switch will have a touch screen. Actually, my big conspiracy theory is that the JoyCon grip, in addition to being a battery charger for the JoyCon Controllers, is itself a touch pad! (the rumors I'm following also claim rumble, motion, and pointer control, even though these weren't explicitly shown in the video.

As for specs, I'm keeping my expectations on the conservative end. I expect the Switch to be sub-PS4/XB1 on paper, but with naturally newer tech such that it will be able to pass for that level of power. I'm HOPING to hear that it would use Pascal instead of Maxwell technology from NVidia since from my understanding that would mean it's possibly got better battery life (although some would opt to forgo battery improvement for more power?). Still, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Pascal isn't part of this.

As for storage, Emily Rogers says 32 GB internal on the Switch, so that's what I'm going with. Sounds crazy small, but I expect it to be expandable with the SD Card Slot (I stuck a 128 GB into my 3DS and it's sorta wonderful).

On that note, I gotta hope the Switch supports SDXC cards and UHS speeds. I might then be in the market for a 128GB SDXC card at UHS-3 speed, which a quick Amazon Search says would set me back about $60. (It's also nice to see that Emily Rogers is claiming a USB 3.0 port on the dock itself. Shiny!)

I do hope too that, like you suggest, Nintendo's mobile titles come to the Switch as well. Maybe Pokemon Go is somewhat of reach because of a reliance on GPS, but MyNintendo ought to be there, and it'd be great if the future AnimalCrossing and FireEmblem titles are there as well.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 25, 2016, 03:38:31 PM »
Also, since there's all this talk about a 3DS successor being in the cards, what's to stop such a thing being a future "Switch Boy" in 1 or two years that's smaller, with improvements in battery life, has non-removable controllers, and hits the same performance?

Basically, the Switch is the starting point. And as Nintendo expands the "single library multiple hardware" concept, they grow the Switch in different directions:same-thing-but-smaller-and-longer-lasting as well as stronger-but-same-size-and-battery-life.

Oog, but latest rumors about current Switch Battery life sound GameGear level, so I'm definitely gonna have to look into a third-party portable-battery solution around launch.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2016, 04:07:49 PM »
For comparison: to upgrade the memory on my New 3DS XL, I paid $18 USD for a Sandisk 32GB SD card in Nov '15 and $21 USD for a Samsung 64GB MicoSD card in June '16, both bought through Amazon (US).

updated in reply 217
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 12:07:21 PM by rygar »

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2016, 04:13:35 PM »
Instead of different base units, how about different themes for the dock? I want one shaped like the sword in the stone or a Metroid charge station.

Oog, but latest rumors about current Switch Battery life sound GameGear level, so I'm definitely gonna have to look into a third-party portable-battery solution around launch.

Solution: they could make hats with solar panels woven into the fabric. It's clothing and a way to recharge your Switch on the go. Boom, solved.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 25, 2016, 04:18:45 PM »

Also for comparison: I take my 3DS to work everyday and almost never open it. By the time I get home it always has lost a bar. I meant to check it every hour today, but couldn't. Sometime between hour 4 and hour 7 it lost a bar. I'm a little extra about not running out of power so I have 2 of those portable power banks. There are myCharge AmpMax and AmpPlus. The AmpMax is supposed to be 4X a regular battery and the AmpPlus 2x. My memory is that I needed the AmpMax to get through a 10 hour flight that included a lot of game time. I may have needed the AmpMax to get it fully charged from almost no power, but my memory isn't clear. However, if my memory is correct, that would mean a typical power bank probably wouldn't be sufficient.

Which Nintendo 3DS model do you have? I'm curious how your description of charges needed match up with the battery capacity that the specific 3DS model has?

Instead of different base units, how about different themes for the dock? I want one shaped like the sword in the stone or a Metroid charge station.

Solution: they could make hats with solar panels woven into the fabric. It's clothing and a way to recharge your Switch on the go. Boom, solved.

Nintendo is getting into the Solar-powered Hat Business! BOOM! QoL!

Also... MAN. Nintendo is missing out MAJOR if they don't sell faceplates for that dock unit. MAJOR!!

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 25, 2016, 04:51:48 PM »
I have a New 3DS XL purchased new in August 2015. The charge descriptions are from the company's website and are (I believe) intentionally ambiguous. I think they are 2X/4X a "typical smart phone battery", or put differently, how many times you should expect to fully charge your phone off of their power banks.

Edit: The AmpMax is 6700mAh. AmpPlus is 3000mAh
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 04:56:42 PM by rygar »

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 25, 2016, 06:03:52 PM »
I have actually been mildly surprised by how long my n3DSXL battery holds out on a charge, though I've only used it lightly over time.

Anyhow, I'm expecting $300 for everything shown in the video. I don't see how they sell the grip separately. I also think there's a fair chance the "travel charger" is included as well (WiiU came with two power cords, after all).

Powerwise I just don't see how it gets on par with Xbone with just that tablet's guts, no matter how current the chip tech. The lower resolution will help close the gap, but I at best see it as like 3x WiiU=1/3 Xbone. BUT I was able to run Rise of the Tomb Raider at a playable level on the integrated graphics on a laptop I bought in 2014, so I think the hope has to reside in the scalability of current game engines.

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 25, 2016, 06:14:54 PM »
Battery life could be an issue to many people. My question is what is the acceptable length before it becomes unacceptable? For my style of play this will be a home console that I might use Wii U offtv style from time to time. I won't be using it as a true handheld all that often. I would be fine with say 5-7 hours on a charge. Less than that would be manageable for my needs but probably not for others.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 25, 2016, 06:31:45 PM »
The BG&E 2 promo art actually makes me hopeful for the PC as a lead platform.  It would allow that beautiful art style with fewer compromises and would make for nice PS4Pro/Scorpio ports.

With that said, a remaster of the original for NS would be great.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #190 on: October 25, 2016, 06:35:24 PM »
I don't think USB is an option for the tablet as a storage medium, they could very easily put a USB port on the device. But what are the logistics of lugging around a protable USB drive to store games on? Even if you go the flash route how is that better than SD cards?

I don't think it was meant to be "better" just a proof of concept.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2016, 06:39:53 PM »
Battery life could be an issue to many people. My question is what is the acceptable length before it becomes unacceptable? For my style of play this will be a home console that I might use Wii U offtv style from time to time. I won't be using it as a true handheld all that often. I would be fine with say 5-7 hours on a charge. Less than that would be manageable for my needs but probably not for others.

I'm definitely thinking less than that will be the reality. Though this is definitely sounding like a "Hybrid" console, my expectations for it to match a true portable for longevity is now on the order of a "Game Gear".

I think in terms of acceptability, they COULD get away with a 3-5 hr battery life if this is more meant to feel like "off-tv" on steroids. That is, you look out your rooftop and see your friends having a roof party. They call you over and you take your fully charged Switch out of the dock. When you get there you guys have tons of fun playing Kart or Party or Mario for a good 1/1.5 hours, but you don't play it all party-long because you eat and do other stuff and they have to clean up that roof after all. You get back home with 60% charge still there, totally unhindered by what is onjectively a short battery life.

The situation where this will be painful is a 6/8 hour roadtrip where I really want to game intensively and don't have many other draws on my attention.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 25, 2016, 10:13:44 PM »
{image}
128GB USB nub. You'd hardly notice it, depending on where the USB drive on the portable would be.

But how much is the nub?

You could buy two of them for less than the price of an HD game. <$60 after tax and shipped on Amazon.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 25, 2016, 10:24:19 PM »

With a list of "must haves" like that, I'd wager it's not the first time being left disappointed.
Not that it's an impossible list... but we've all been Nintendo fans for a while, right?

(But if your wishlist actually happens then I'll be hugely impressed with what Nintendo has put together!)

Personally, I don't see what's so unreasonable about my "must have" list.

I thought I kept expectations reasonably in check for $350, especially when everyone else is calling for $250-$300 max.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 25, 2016, 11:58:28 PM »
So did MysticGohan ever show up after the off Switch announcement? Surely he'll have to surface sometime!
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 26, 2016, 12:00:24 AM »
Also how much was the Wii U in the US? Surely the Switch would be on par, maybe slightly more than the Basic model Wii U?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 26, 2016, 12:09:24 AM »
The basic Wii U was $300, but one of the lessons Nintendo needs to have learned from the Wii U is it was too expensive.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 26, 2016, 01:18:54 AM »
The basic Wii U was $300, but one of the lessons Nintendo needs to have learned from the Wii U is it was too expensive.

Correction: The Wii U was too expensive for what it was. a portable that couldn't leave the TV.

$350 for something that turns out to be what you expect, isn't too much at all.
and like i said, if Nintendo can deliver on the basic building blocks they've already provided between the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS, inside of a Switch, then I would gladly hand them $350.

Just make sure the games and software support stays consistent.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #198 on: October 26, 2016, 01:21:31 AM »
{image}

But how much is the nub?

You could buy two of them for less than the price of an HD game. <$60 after tax and shipped on Amazon.

Oh really? Are they Wii U compatible? This may finally solve my online Smash dilemma.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #199 on: October 26, 2016, 01:23:09 AM »
Have we talked about different SKUs for varying screen sizes yet?  Is that a want? Expectation?