Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 273851 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch Pre-Release Discussion (March 2017)
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2016, 02:12:51 PM »
That reminds me. What the hell is RETRO making?
Metroid: Federation Force HD.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2016, 02:16:09 PM »
Close looks at Switch's closest relatives.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2016, 02:22:12 PM »
Looks like a decent concept that blends home and portable gaming pretty well. I like the two-Switches-syncing up concept. I like the JoyCon idea, even if that stick placement is questionable. Now for this important part:

How the **** do you market this thing to kids?

Sure, it looks sleeker, but that probably means its more delicate, too. That clipping system doesn't look kid-friendly in any way. And of course, if you expect to entice the handheld market with the Switch, how are you going to price the games? I see lots of developers there that excel at the 35-40 dollar price range, but if you're merging your portable and home development studios, you need to know that pricing a game for a home console is going to get risky. If they were to lower their game pricing to 50 bucks, it would make the Switch seem infinitely more competitive in the market space than Sony and Microsoft's offerings, and create some goodwill for portable players.

I think that the Switch as a social and portable gaming device sounds fascinating, but it's going to need a lot to work in execution. Those controls and their power source, as well as the screen, for example, and the business of actually getting people to buy into this thing again. It's just too risky, and we've seen a big list of developers be on-board for Nintendo products in the past only to abandon ship when units don't move. Right now, I don't see any reason to think this thing will be a success.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2016, 02:22:35 PM »
That reminds me. What the hell is RETRO making?
Metroid: Federation Force HD.
I kind of want this to happen just to watch the Internet explode.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2016, 02:32:46 PM »
Also, isn't the name Switch a big middle finger from Nintendo to AMD?

I always felt like Wii U was mostly marred by the fact that AMD gave them a mediocre graphics chip and gave Microsoft and Sony really good ones. The Wii U had a slow CPU too, but that could have been made up for if it had a graphics chip on the same level as the XboxOne. Now switching to nvidia might give Nintendo some advantages/priveleges. The N in Nvidia now stands for Nintendo. Hopefully, this will be a console of envy by the other console makers.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2016, 02:36:47 PM »
I see Sonic rings. Wouldn't mind a Mario v. Sonic platformer or they could make him Amiibo unlockable in Super Mario 3D World 2.

If you are talking about the gold rings between the chasm behind where the bullet bill is shooting then those are not Sonic Rings. I think they may have been in NSMB2 but I know for sure they are in 3D World. They just count towards giving you some coins.

What's the storage solution? Can't carry my 2TB Wii U hard drive around with me, though I do still have a lot of room on my 64GB micro SD card in my 3DS.

No more constant patching, DLC, and system updates. Finish developing your effing games before release :reggie:

I was thinking about that before and wish it was the case but Nintendo's been able to do patches and DLC with the 3DS and that uses cartridges so it's probably not going to change things development wise for some publishers.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2016, 02:43:57 PM »
On Mario 3dworld when your riding the big dinosaur going through the rings gives you a bunch of coins.

I wounder if Switch will be compatible with nvidia Gear store?

Also another video of the Switch's closest cousin

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2016, 02:47:23 PM »
I think marketing to kids will happen organically. In the near future, Switch and smartphones will be the only things kids can get Mario on. Super Mario Run is marketing for Super Mario Switch. Every time a parent can't deal with her annoying kid and hands him/her their phone to play Nintendo's mobile games, Nintendo is marketing to kids. Additionally, it will market through Facebook, Twitter, Universal Studios and whatnot, and it'll naturally reach a younger audience easier. Soon, there will only be one place to get 95% of Nintendo's first party titles. The people Nintendo should be targeting are those who aren't already invested in Nintendo's ecosystem or no (longer) have an attachment to its IPs.

I always felt like Wii U was mostly marred by the fact that AMD gave them a mediocre graphics chip and gave Microsoft and Sony really good ones. The Wii U had a slow CPU too, but that could have been made up for if it had a graphics chip on the same level as the XboxOne. Now switching to nvidia might give Nintendo some advantages/priveleges. The N in Nvidia now stands for Nintendo. Hopefully, this will be a console of envy by the other console makers.
AMD didn't give Nintendo a mediocre graphics chip so much as Nintendo asked for one. I don't believe Switch is a slight against AMD at all. This is nothing more than AMD not having a mobile SOC let alone one as advanced as Nvidia's.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2016, 02:50:53 PM »
Hmm. I don't agree, but whatever. Can't derail the current high that's pervading the air.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2016, 02:55:45 PM »
"Kids, bring me the switch!"
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2016, 02:59:05 PM »
I think marketing to kids will happen organically. In the near future, Switch and smartphones will be the only things kids can get Mario on. Super Mario Run is marketing for Super Mario Switch. Every time a parent can't deal with her annoying kid and hands him/her their phone to play Nintendo's mobile games, Nintendo is marketing to kids. Additionally, it will market through Facebook, Twitter, Universal Studios and whatnot, and it'll naturally reach a younger audience easier. Soon, there will only be one place to get 95% of Nintendo's first party titles. The people Nintendo should be targeting are those who aren't already invested in Nintendo's ecosystem or no (longer) have an attachment to its IPs.

AMD didn't give Nintendo a mediocre graphics chip so much as Nintendo asked for one. I don't believe Switch is a slight against AMD at all. This is nothing more than AMD not having a mobile SOC let alone one as advanced as Nvidia's.

You're mostly likely right, but that doesn't mean Nintendo perceived it that way. Also, it is possible nVidia suggested the name, which would be a big middle findger to AMD. Nintendo could be oblivious to the implications.

Also, doesn't Switch imply to everyone that they should finally switch to Nintendo.

before I saw the video I saw the name. And I thought about Apples Switch campaign

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2016, 02:59:33 PM »
I think one factor in selling to children / parents will be price. I imagine there must be some sort of handheld-only version they're going to sell, so that they can have a lower-price option for the parents who want one. The downside though is that it also means they need to sell the dock separately, so that means three different pieces of hardware on store shelves.

I guess at launch they could stick with just the combo, especially if the price is low enough, but there will probably be a handheld-only one eventually.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2016, 03:00:17 PM »
"Kids, bring me the switch!"

LOLZ

"Dad Im playing with my Wii!""then you better definitely get me that switch!"

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2016, 03:07:59 PM »
I think one factor in selling to children / parents will be price. I imagine there must be some sort of handheld-only version they're going to sell, so that they can have a lower-price option for the parents who want one. The downside though is that it also means they need to sell the dock separately, so that means three different pieces of hardware on store shelves.

I guess at launch they could stick with just the combo, especially if the price is low enough, but there will probably be a handheld-only one eventually.
Yeah, I can see a 2DS-like, stripped down Mini Switch down the line. That still doesn't address the higher cost of games though.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2016, 03:11:26 PM »
Oh yeah, game cost is a good question too. I'm hoping that we see a more variable pricing structure, with more games in the range of $30 or $40 like 3DS titles, and not just a flat $60 (or more...?) across the board for everything.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2016, 03:18:49 PM »
I said this like, four posts ago!

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2016, 03:24:02 PM »
But Nintendo was very good during the Wii U to establish variable pricing on their games with a wide variety of 40-50-60 dollar games.

That said, if Game Freak releases a new Pokemon RPG with a big tech/graphics bump, expect it to cost $60. Franchises will be placed in tiers and certain games will either get low-end/upscaling treatment while other will get the high-end/downscale treatment.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2016, 03:29:19 PM »
But Nintendo was very good during the Wii U to establish variable pricing on their games with a wide variety of 40-50-60 dollar games.
They established variable pricing, but how many games actually utilized it? There were like, two lighter-content titles like Rainbow Curse and Captain Toad, the HD remakes and Fatal Frame were 50...

...Huh. That is about a quarter of the Wii U library, right there. Maybe you have a point.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2016, 03:32:41 PM »
It occurs to me that the heavy emphasis on the "Switch" branding makes it unlikely that they'll make a TV-only unit. I was theoretically considering waiting for a hopefully cheaper box SKU, but if that ever happens I imagine it would be years down the line. I also don't know how they could do a smaller one, exactly. Would it come with a smaller dock as well? Seems iffy, especially if there's any additional computer brain in the dock.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2016, 03:33:14 PM »
The majority of Wii U games were still $60 though, so I'd still call it the standard. Besides, there were a lot more 3DS games, so really, the standard pricing for games on Nintendo systems was $40.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2016, 03:39:51 PM »
They established variable pricing, but how many games actually utilized it? There were like, two lighter-content titles like Rainbow Curse and Captain Toad, the HD remakes and Fatal Frame were 50...

...Huh. That is about a quarter of the Wii U library, right there. Maybe you have a point.

Yoshi's Woolly World, DKC Tropical Freeze, Lego City Undercover, Wind Waker HD and the digital versions of Star Fox Zero and Twilight Princess HD were all $50 at release.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2016, 03:42:05 PM »
I keep forgetting about the Amiibo bundles. But I was not aware that Tropical Freeze and Lego City were 50. You have outplayed me- well done, sir.

So half the Wii U library was variable-priced...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2016, 03:48:50 PM »
I think the only two pure examples are DKC Tropical Freeze and Lego City Undercover. Wind Waker HD was an enhanced port so of course those cost less than $60. The rest are bundles that they did not want to exceed $60 for the game, but they would have been $60 for just the game had they not been bundles.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2016, 04:12:48 PM »
Is there no hope of wireless video streaming for games like Mario Maker now?  The chubby dock could potentially handle that as well as extra storage and background downloads when you have the console at school/work.  I can see it automatically shuffling the most used software onto the tablet overnight to avoid space issues.  There is no sign of a button to switch display modes, but it could theoretically be automatic when the dock detects that the TV is on, or manual through a menu.

It is a stretch, but I will miss the asymmetric functionality if it is cut.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2016, 04:25:34 PM »
Also, when you look at the Shield and see that is $199. For $299 you can have all the power of ps4 or xbox One.
Nintendo might also be able to keep the cost down in other ways because they're Nintendo.