Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3141080 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #4800 on: September 06, 2011, 07:25:53 PM »
A new Baten Kaitos on 3DS?  Great, yet another RPG franchise I love being relegated to the handhelds because Japan's obsessed with them.  I guess I won't be playing that one.

I'm not going to tell you what you should and shouldn't do, but that's kind of a lame reason not to play a game.

I don't like playing my big epic RPGs hunched over and squinting at tiny screens with even tinnier music, especially a series like this where being able to see tiny numbers and text on the cards and acting accordingly is vital to your success.

Fixed. Also, try playing your epic RPGs while in the tub. You might find games becoming a lot more epic.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: September 06, 2011, 07:37:23 PM »
I personally don't like EVER playing games on a handheld.  Not only is the screen tiny but because the controller and screen are one in the same it's hard to find a comfortable position to play in.  Either I look down and hurt my neck or hold the system up and hurt my arms.  I also have no need for the portable nature of a handheld so to me it's like just another videogame system only it it's stuck in this cramped tiny format.  The Super Game Boy and Game Boy Players were life savers for me.  I've never been too hot on the DS and the reason for it is that I have to play the stupid games on a damn DS and that's such an annoying pain I've lost interest in the whole system.

Broodwars is right in that once a series moves to handhelds, it is stuck there forever.  They're not going to bring it back to consoles so if you don't like playing games on handhelds you are fucked.  Though if the Wii U can also work as a 3DS player then that problem can be addressed.

Though even with a 3DS player, you're still stuck with out-of-date technology.  If you want your games to make use of cutting edge hardware, you're **** out of luck if it's on a handheld.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: September 06, 2011, 07:42:57 PM »
If we got a sort of "3DS Player" adapter/APP for the Wii U, I would totally buy a Wii U w/ the 3DS Baten Kaitos to play it on the big screen and I do not say that lightly.  Of course, Nintendo would never do that these days, since it would mean 3DS hardware NOT being sold.

If there was one, though, Nintendo would have to incorporate some serious smoothing filters and whatnot to make the 3DS games actually look good on a standard HD TV and the Wii U screen.  I bought the PSP cable a while back to play my PSP games that way, and man are the results pretty poor overall.  Some games like Birth By Sleep and Valkyria Chronicles 2 look...ok...on my TV (if desaturated and incredibly blocky), but others like Silent Hill Origins are pretty much unplayable that way.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:46:47 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: September 06, 2011, 07:50:19 PM »
Broodwars is right in that once a series moves to handhelds, it is stuck there forever.

Give me example of games being doomed when going to a handheld.

Either I look down and hurt my neck or hold the system up and hurt my arms.

LMAO. How old are you?

Both of you need to meet in real life. It sounds like you have the same kind of stick stuck in your asses. You could start a relief group!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:52:25 PM by The Unagi »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: September 06, 2011, 07:54:39 PM »
Broodwars is right in that once a series moves to handhelds, it is stuck there forever.

Give me example of games being doomed when going to a handheld.

Valkyria Chronicles. Done.  Kingdom Hearts seems to be going through that right now as well, though there is at least some hope that we'll see a console Kingdom Hearts game again since it's Square-Enix's baby.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: September 06, 2011, 07:59:14 PM »
So...one game? Congrats.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: September 06, 2011, 07:59:59 PM »
And Dragon Quest. IX was on DS and now X is on... Oh.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4807 on: September 06, 2011, 08:20:52 PM »
Valkyria Chronicles was lucky to even get a sequel at all since it bombed. Since I don't think a third game has been announced, not sure how you can call it doomed. And being a handheld series doesn't doom a series. I would also like to point out that many series have console and handheld entries concurrently (Fire Emblem, Mario, Zelda, etc.)
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: September 06, 2011, 08:35:42 PM »
Valkyria Chronicles was lucky to even get a sequel at all since it bombed. Since I don't think a third game has been announced, not sure how you can call it doomed.

Valkyria Chronicles 3 for the PSP was released earlier this year in Japan, but is still awaiting an unlikely NA release.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4809 on: September 06, 2011, 08:38:09 PM »
LOL, since I barely see any PSP news, yet along Japan-only stories, I didn't know.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: September 06, 2011, 11:31:09 PM »
A new Baten Kaitos on 3DS?  Great, yet another RPG franchise I love being relegated to the handhelds because Japan's obsessed with them.  I guess I won't be playing that one.

I'm not going to tell you what you should and shouldn't do, but that's kind of a lame reason not to play a game.

I don't like playing my big epic RPGs hunched over and squinting at tiny screens with even tinnier music, especially a series like this where being able to see tiny numbers and text on the cards and acting accordingly is vital to your success.

Fixed. Also, try playing your epic RPGs while in the tub. You might find games becoming a lot more epic.

Still with the tub? This is like Game Gear all over again..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: September 06, 2011, 11:39:48 PM »
LMAO. How old are you?

Both of you need to meet in real life. It sounds like you have the same kind of stick stuck in your asses. You could start a relief group!

You know, it's funny: I don't throw out half-baked, childish, and inane insults every time I see an opinion I don't agree with.  In fact, I post maybe a few posts a day if I post any at all.  And yet, despite quite a few of you "loyal Nintendo followers" doing just that every time I voice an opinion, somehow I'm the villain.  It's always good to see the hypocrisy of some Nintendo loyalists, where an opinion will only be tolerated if it conforms to a very select set of pro-Nintendo guidelines.  Whatever makes you feel better about your Wii and 3DS purchases, I guess.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: September 06, 2011, 11:40:13 PM »
Does anyone think its possible that they could put a DS game slot in the Wii U?

They could include the hardware and maybe charge for an app to enable it.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: September 06, 2011, 11:42:53 PM »

It's possible if there's some kind of USB slot in the thing.  Then an adapter could be made to plug into the USB slot and play the game.  The thing is, Nintendo probably wants to eventually charge for DS games on the 3DS eShop, so they wouldn't put out such an adapter.  But hey, it would be cool if they did, though considering how badly DS games translate to the 3DS screens, I'd hate to see what they'd look like on the Wii U controller and a TV.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: September 06, 2011, 11:43:06 PM »
Rumors that famitsu will have information about Monster Hunter that includes the infamous extra slide pad.
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/09/07/3ds_stuff_in_famitsu/

I hope it's not true because I have no idea what Nintendo is thinking unless this is some kind of Udraw thing that only one game comes with and uses.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4815 on: September 06, 2011, 11:44:26 PM »

A DS game player that plugs into the Wii U USB port and is then controlled via a downloaded app.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4816 on: September 06, 2011, 11:49:32 PM »
though considering how badly DS games translate to the 3DS screens, I'd hate to see what they'd look like on the Wii U controller and a TV.

I am playing Dragon Quest IX on my 3DS, and it looks the same as it does on my DSi.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: September 06, 2011, 11:51:48 PM »
though considering how badly DS games translate to the 3DS screens, I'd hate to see what they'd look like on the Wii U controller and a TV.

I am playing Dragon Quest IX on my 3DS, and it looks the same as it does on my DSi.

Really?  I've heard nothing but bad impressions from folks trying to play DS games on their 3DS, especially on Radio Free Nintendo.  Yours is the first positive one I've seen.  Were you playing it in the original resolution or blown up?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4818 on: September 06, 2011, 11:53:34 PM »
Original, I don't even know how to blow it up.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: September 06, 2011, 11:55:26 PM »
I think it blows it up automatically.

Honestly, the DS-3DS thing isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.  In fact, I'd bet the large majority of people don't even notice the majority of the time they're playing.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4820 on: September 06, 2011, 11:56:57 PM »
Right, you have to hold Select while booting to make it do the original resolution.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: September 06, 2011, 11:58:08 PM »

Still with the tub? This is like Game Gear all over again..

Haha nope, just wanted to bring it back up for shits'n'giggles.

LMAO. How old are you?

You know, it's funny: I don't throw out half-baked, childish, and inane insults every time I see an opinion I don't agree with.  In fact, I post maybe a few posts a day if I post any at all.  And yet, despite quite a few of you "loyal Nintendo followers" doing just that every time I voice an opinion, somehow I'm the villain.  It's always good to see the hypocrisy of some Nintendo loyalists, where an opinion will only be tolerated if it conforms to a very select set of pro-Nintendo guidelines.  Whatever makes you feel better about your Wii and 3DS purchases, I guess.

I don't even own a 3DS hahaha.

Listen...It's all about your guys's tone...It is exactly the same. Looking from the outside in, its like you two are the same people. That's the simple point I was trying to make, even if I did so childishly (and why not?).

If something pleases you, you two won't post about it. In fact, in the last year I think you guys combined have only posted maybe 3 positive things you like about anything related to video games that wasn't a review (btw, what does that say?), not just Nintendo. On the flip-side though, if something displeases you, which is most if not all of the time, you'll voice your opinion in a lengthy, repetitiousness form spanning several threads that are similar or even vaguely similar. Then when someone calls you out, you get pissed. Just like you did right now.

It's annoying. I'm all for arguing valid points, but nit-picking. That's just weak. Arguing something that is only vague and hasn't become a real product is even weaker. But most of all, arguing something that has no precedence is the weakest.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:00:13 AM by The Unagi »

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: September 07, 2011, 12:00:08 AM »
It's official.  There is a cradle add-on for the 3ds that has an extra slide pad.

There are scans of Famitsu with pictures.  Looks clunky as hell and extends the right end of the 3ds by a couple of inches. :'(

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4823 on: September 07, 2011, 12:02:35 AM »
Right, you have to hold Select while booting to make it do the original resolution.

Really? I thought it was the original res since there are black bars on the side of the top screen.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: September 07, 2011, 12:08:32 AM »
I play only DS games on my 3DS (I'm awesome lol), and I haven't noticed any issues. Even games with small text, like Dragon Quest V, look perfectly clear. The only thing I've noticed is that the bottom screen doesn't seem quite as crisp as the top screen, but I think that's just the nature of the touchscreen.

As for a hypothetical 3/DS player for the Wii U, I'd love it. I don't mind the way that Game Boy games look on a GBPlayer, so I don't think I'd care about the low resolution. I just don't like handhelds, they're uncomfortable to me in every way, but there have just become too many games on them that I have no choice but to tolerate the handheld.