Author Topic: Monster Hunter A Go-Go!: The -Ultimate- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Thread  (Read 63898 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter A Go-Go!: The -Ultimate- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Thread
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2015, 07:29:40 PM »
Ranged combat in Monster Hunter is more expensive than using the close-combat weapons, since you have to create separate "gunner" armour sets and buy/make the ammo for bowguns. The gunner armour also has less defence of course so you'll also have to make sure you stay out of the way of attacks. You don't need to make arrows for bows and you get an infinite amount with them, but they do use "coatings" and it definitely helps to buy/make these. It's also more ideal than with other weapons to have various different types of bows depending on the monster you're fighting.

The bow would probably be better to start with than the bowguns and less expensive, but the close-combat weapons are easier starters. Bowgunning is best after you've amassed a lot of wealth and items and have nothing better to spend it all on.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2015, 07:51:46 PM »
Okay, thanks, that's all good to know. I may start to really dig into this game tonight. 
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2015, 09:32:51 PM »
I would pick a ranged and a melee weapon and then switch between the two. Light bowgun was my gateway gunner weapon but like Mop it up stated, it can be pricey if you don't have the materials to craft the ammo.

Be sure to raid all of the extra items in the blue chest in solo play and hawk any unclaimed extras in multiplayer games. This helps build a stockpile for when you do gun.

Also, I'm not fully in agreement with Neal on the Glaive being a hybrid melee/ranged weapon. I'm not super fluent in the Glaive, but from what I have seen the "ranged" aspect of the weapon is very light and more meant to collect things for buffs versus full on attacks. It feels more like a Legend of Zelda boomerang/hookshot you use to assist you while in battle then resume using your sword/bow to continue dealing actual damage. I'm not even sure the Kinsects deal any damage at all.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2015, 12:08:44 PM »
I am stuck at the Village 4 Urgent.  The Core Magala is in rage mode most the fight.  I'm light bowgunning through this time I unload almost the full complement of my 182 attack bowgun.  He spent half the time limping but wouldn't trap the 3 times I tried.  I slept bombed him 3 times.  He would not die.  On my 2nd faint ,which happened at the 5 minute mark; first around the ten, I just had to end it vie subquest so I would get the feeler.

I'm stuck online because I keep getting bad groups when I'm in the control of the quests.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2015, 07:12:08 PM »
Apparently the game is sold out on Amazon save for scalpers wanting $55. Must not have had a big print run because it's sold out all around town.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2015, 09:41:51 PM »
I am going to find the person who decided to make me have to consider the frills of a Gore Magala, and I am going to murder them.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2015, 09:10:43 AM »
The Feelers?  They are a pain to get.  We should hunt sometime together though I never see you online.

Finally defeated Gore Magala Offline wearing the complete Gore Magala Armor set with the Gore Magala Light Bow gun.

It was rough but I did get the feeler break and that one I was talking about before must have glitched because I trapped him this time with no problem just a bit after he started limping.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2015, 02:51:32 PM »
Sorry you guys are stuck. I just started so I'll have to catch up to help you out.

I played some basic quests online with my sister yesterday and am having a blast bowing from the start. It is a good challenge for me. I keep going broke buying coatings but I'm starting to stabilize as I amass more loot.

Can't wait to hit 3 star quests. I'm still using the original armor because I love the mounting buff it gives. I ride those beasts every chance I get. Very fun mechanic.

I can't get my system online at my place since I did my transfer. I might have written my wifi code down wrong or changed it without noting it. So I may not be available for a bit to play online while I figure that one out.
My Game Collection

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2015, 03:11:11 PM »
I still haven't gotten the mounting down yet. I am digging those dual blades though. Been doing back & forth between those & the longsword until I decide which hammer tree to follow first.
Mission...complete?

Offline kbaker2002de

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2015, 09:58:01 PM »
I am about 4-5 hours in, playing single player only so far.  Still hacking away at the 2-star quests.  I'll probably start trying to play some online in a couple weeks.  I am loving the Charge Blade.  I like the nimble of the sword and shield, and being able to change to a battle ax for bit charged attacks is nice too.
"I'm a powerful demonic force! I'm the harbinger of your doom! And the forces of darkness will applaud me as I STRIDE through the Gates of Hell carrying your head on a pike!!"

"Stride?"

"All right then ROLL! ROLL thought the gates of hell!
Must you take the fun out of everything?"

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2015, 04:15:21 AM »
Hey, decided to pop back in after my initial time with the demo.  I decided to get the game on release with the new 3ds and I have to say, its really starting to click with me.  I'm still in the first village and just finally managed to get all the necessary ingredients to make a full Jaggi armor set. (had to fight the Great Jaggi god knows how many times though lol.  It got to the point that a couple of times, I took him out within the first zone I found him in.  I decided to use the Insect Glaive which is so much fun to use.  I haven't gotten the hang of using the bug yet to buff my character.  I've pulled it off a few times but I'm not fluent with it yet though.  I did get the hang of the leaping ability that the insect glaive gives you and I've become a mounting machine with it.  I can't imagine having to mount the monster any other way.  Its become routine to just dodge right/left then then time the hop just right to land a blow on the monster's neck. 

My progress has been extremely slow and steady but I do have on question.  Is there an in game reference or guide for tracking down items or do I have to rely on going online for assistance in locating which monster drops what loot.  I'm looking right now for a specific bone to upgrade my glaive but have no idea where to find it.  I'd hate to have to constantly check on line for the location of items.  Would be nice if there is a character or book you can buy in game that'll tell you where you can find items. 

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2015, 07:00:20 AM »
Going online unfortunately.  I wish they beef up the books you buy in the game to being more than just stat unlocking.

Since I'm gunning I'm not overly fond of mounting.  I'm going to have to read up more on whether range weapons  are an exception but, with melee you have to stop attacking when someone is mounted.  Most of the time people don't actually pull the mount off and I got wasted time.  Than on Zinogre and some others it is really annoying because you can harvest when they are on there sides but if someone mounts them they pop back up.  No bugs for you.

Also for the most part monster hunter makes sense when it comes to physical interaction.  Mounting breaks that.  You can mount a Zinogre full encased in lightning which makes no sense.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2015, 07:03:39 AM »
I've always used the Monster Hunter wiki myself. But I mostly play my 3DS in my room beside my PC so checking online isn't a hassle.

Here's one listed on amazon but the reviews for it don't seem all that good. http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Official-Strategy-Bradygames-Further/dp/0744003628
Mission...complete?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2015, 11:01:32 AM »
I primarily use the android phone apps:
MH4U Companion
MH4U Dex
MH4U Hunter's Guide

GK, you could use one of the phone apps available. I linked them above for you. You are also free to ask here and I will be more than happy to look things up for you if you can't.
My Game Collection

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2015, 08:34:58 PM »
Yeah, looks like those phone apps will have to be the way to go.  Do I need all 3 as they all do something different or are they all just competing apps that all serve the same purpose? 

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2015, 07:44:15 PM »
Yeah, unfortunately Monster Hunter is definitely one of those "guide dang it" games, it's tough to keep track of everything otherwise. I also like to look up weapon trees so that I know what I'm building towards, don't want to waste materials building into a weapon I end up not liking or being weaker.

Since this game just came out in English then I'm not sure if 100% info is available yet.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2015, 10:01:28 PM »
Hunter's Guide is the weakest because it has full screen ads (mildly annoying); also has poorly done, non-official pictures. Companion seems to be the strongest of the three. I plan to keep them all since each tends to have one or two good areas for quick reference. All seem to be updating frequently as more info is gathered of the game.

1) Companion
2) Dex (a close second as updates seem to have improved it at a faster rate)
3) Hunter's Guide (Full screen ads! Boo!)
My Game Collection

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2015, 03:44:06 AM »
Thanks for the info, will have to get the app.  I'm starting to think Capcom did that on purpose to facilitate communication with other games online and when out playing with others lol. 

Anyways, I'm really enjoying using the insect glaive at the moment but one thing that is driving me nuts is that there are little to no upgrades for it compared to the other weapons.  I've been able to improve the insect 2 levels so far and the weapon 2 levels but when I go to the smith, I see he has 5 or so new items for each weapon yet he still is only carrying the first insect glaive that I started out with.  I bit and looked at the weapon tree for the insect glaive and it seems a lot smaller compared to the others.  I'm starting to wondering if I should switch over to long sword so that I can have some variety and be able to increase my attack rating.  Right now I'm stuck with a base attack of 300 something because I currently have no other options yet to create a new insect glaive or upgrade the one I have.  (the current upgrade is asking for parts of monsters I haven't even discovered yet it seems)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2015, 11:08:55 AM »
Are they monsters from the old game? You can get some of those parts from the Wyporium Trader. Also, make sure you go on those random expeditions. That seems to unlock new monsters over time.
My Game Collection

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2015, 06:11:50 PM »
I'm home sick today with an awful head cold so I'll probably go between hunting and sleeping all day. Let me know if anyone wants to hunt.
My Game Collection

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2015, 06:25:13 PM »
I'm up for hunting.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2015, 07:17:50 PM »
I'm home sick today with an awful head cold so I'll probably go between hunting and sleeping all day. Let me know if anyone wants to hunt.
That doesn't sound good at all, I hope you get well soon.

I'll probably be playing with my friend, we might not invite others though.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2015, 07:32:13 PM »
Well I'm 4596-9710-4135 FC if you want too.

Though I would warn I might not be the best of company do to what I mentioned in General Chat.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2015, 09:50:13 PM »
The Feelers?  They are a pain to get.  We should hunt sometime together though I never see you online.

Finally defeated Gore Magala Offline wearing the complete Gore Magala Armor set with the Gore Magala Light Bow gun.
I had full velociprey armor and leader shotels.

Oh lucky me, I need 2 gore magala feelers to upgrade to his db set.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2015, 10:08:33 PM »
Also I have a purple palico. Naturally I named him Big and sent him out via streetpass.