Author Topic: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 125  (Read 14650 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 125
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 03:00:59 PM »
Also, my mom says hi to everyone.  I'm posting from the public library.

The public library, one of the best places for free internet.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 04:39:24 PM »
Hey look, lots of bashing of Wii Music! How original!

Seriously, the bashing is almost as silly as AC. The game for one is not a bad game and for Jonny's information (and others) my family enjoys playing BOTH Wii Music and games like Rock Band. They are completely different experiences and each has their pros and cons. Wii Music has some fun mini games, the conducting is great (at least I enjoy it) and while the instrument complexity is low you can still do some great stuff with songs.

Worse game in 10 years? ROFL, did someone forget Wario Master in Disguise? Also the Wii Music sales look like they are going to be steady, so it is far from a failure even if many of you want it to.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008, 04:46:26 PM »
No Mailbag  :-[

I'm a sad panda .

Overall great episode a solid 8.489 / 10

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008, 04:58:14 PM »

Worse game in 10 years? ROFL, did someone forget Wario Master in Disguise? Also the Wii Music sales look like they are going to be steady, so it is far from a failure even if many of you want it to.

For the record, Suzak developed Wario: Master of Disguise, and so it was not the product of Nintendo's internal development teams, which I took to be Jonny's frame of reference when he was discussing the sentiment surrounding Wii Music.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 05:08:17 PM »

For the record, Suzak developed Wario: Master of Disguise, and so it was not the product of Nintendo's internal development teams, which I took to be Jonny's frame of reference when he was discussing the sentiment surrounding Wii Music.

How about Wii Play and Link's Crossbow Training? Those count?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 05:09:22 PM »

Regardless it is the gaming media's favorite whipping boy. It gets tiresome especially when many of these people hated before they even played it and when they played it they decided they were going to hate it anyway. Not to mention I still find it extremely condescending (still love you Jonny) when he keeps on stating that the people who'll like it are 5 year olds. Believe it or not, there are many casual gamers out there that hate the music games for the most part, they don't have the reflexes, so a game like Wii Music is perfect. You aren't going to find many grandma's rocking out to RocK Band, but they can have a good time with Wii Music.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 05:14:19 PM »

Honestly, both of those were fun. Wii Play is basically a $10 game with 9 entertaining mini-games. Link's Crossbow Training is basically a $10-$15 game with some fun shooting gallery bits.
Wii Music is $50.

While GoldenPhoenix might have great experiences in a family setting with Wii Music, the only experience I had with Wii Music was where my friends, family, and I played the game and enjoyed it much in the way one would enjoy a terrible movie. Basically, our enjoyment was derived from making fun of the fact that we weren't have any fun and it didn't feel like we were really doing anything.
For the record, I was optimistic going into playing it.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 05:16:27 PM »

Honestly, both of those were fun. Wii Play is basically a $10 game with 9 entertaining mini-games. Link's Crossbow Training is basically a $10-$15 game with some fun shooting gallery bits.
Wii Music is $50.

While GoldenPhoenix might have great experiences in a family setting with Wii Music, the only experience I had with Wii Music was where my friends, family, and I played the game and enjoyed it much in the way one would enjoy a terrible movie. Basically, our enjoyment was derived from making fun of the fact that we weren't have any fun and it didn't feel like we were really doing anything.
For the record, I was optimistic going into playing it.

Nick and Chessa had fun as well. So three against one!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 05:19:23 PM »

For my part, maybe... 2 minigames in Wii Play appealed to me. And I was vastly underwhelmed with Link's Crossbow Training. Had way more fun with Target Terror in many ways.

Wii Music is $50.

Price may affect value, but it doesn't determine quality. Otherwise we'd incorporate it into our reviews, and Data Design Interactive might have a better time of it! &P

Nick and Chessa had fun as well. So three against one!

But notice that Neal mentioned his friends AND family. Don't turn this into a list wars!

Besides, Nick only thinks what Chessa tells hims to.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 05:23:15 PM »
Besides, Nick only thinks what Chessa tells hims to.

Yeah he is a very smart individual because of it too.

Also my family is bigger than nron's family.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2008, 05:25:55 PM »
Also my family is bigger than nron's family.

Haha! Wow. The Wii has wrought some strange changes to the way gamers demonstrate superiority.

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2008, 05:26:53 PM »

Clearly you know they do, and I don't appreciate your facetious question. Having not played Wii Music (and a number of Nintendo's other internally produced titles over the past decade for that matter), I am in no position to personally judge its quality relative to Wii Play, Link's Crossbow Training or anything else. I was merely stating the fact that Wario: Master of Disguise is not pertinent to that topic, plain and simple.

The discussion in the episode refers to how Wii Music was received by the media, and whether or not you agree with that sentiment (or if you're like me and aren't in a position to say one way or another), it is inarguable that there has been a degree of negativity surrounding Wii Music that is uncommon for a Nintendo product. Jonny speaks from his personal experience playing the game at E3, but other than that we are not judging the game, but instead reflecting on the impact that it had this year (it's a Year in Review show after all) from the outside.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2008, 05:35:20 PM »
Clearly you know they do, and I don't appreciate your facetious question.

I really don't think Kairon was being facetious. I think he genuinely wanted to know if those counted, I personally didn't think of them so I'm glad he brought them up!

Anyway I still want to know when the FF series has been the series of the "most powerful console". It has NEVER been on the most powerful console of the generation since the SNES days.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 09:23:04 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2008, 05:36:07 PM »
Wii Music is $50.

Price may affect value, but it doesn't determine quality. Otherwise we'd incorporate it into our reviews, and Data Design Interactive might have a better time of it! &P

Price does determine expectations though. As a $50 game, I expected more out Wii Music. I was disappointed. With the cheaper price points of Wii Play and LCT, I didn't expect too much.

This is very much an agree-to-disagree topic. I kind of abhor Wii Music, and GoldenPhoenix enjoys it.

For the record, I had approx. eight people that played it and disliked it. So add that to the listwarz.

EDIT: I tend to agree with GoldenPhoenix's defense of Kairon.
I don't think it was a facetious question and they also didn't cross my mind when the idea was brought up.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2008, 05:39:18 PM »
Now that we've beaten the Wii Music horse. I want to defend Millionheir case files. It is a wonderful  casual game that is really pick up and play and if you like "find waldo" esque stuff you'll love it. The game has virtually infinite replayability because things are radomized. So it fit right in with Nintendo's other titles like Crosswords DS, Professor Layton and others.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2008, 06:49:17 PM »
Wii Music is kind of cool with three 3-5 year olds. really it is.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2008, 01:54:19 AM »
Knowledge of Dragon Quest X at the time of this recording would have changed the discussion quite a bit.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2008, 02:40:19 AM »
Knowledge of Dragon Quest X at the time of this recording would have changed the discussion quite a bit.

That is why time warps confuse me! They create paradoxes!

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2008, 03:05:47 AM »
GP--maybe you should calm down and just say you disagree with this episode and leave it at that?

I don't think this episode puts Millionheir down as a bad game as much as comments on how NOA has no games to publish on the DS other than third party games from out of nowhere.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2008, 11:51:14 AM »
I got the golden pig in Wii Fit (over 40 hours) and it does get boring after awhile.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2008, 12:30:29 PM »
GP--maybe you should calm down and just say you disagree with this episode and leave it at that?

I don't think this episode puts Millionheir down as a bad game as much as comments on how NOA has no games to publish on the DS other than third party games from out of nowhere.

Thought I was calm. I just found parts of it to be a tad bit over the top like Wii Music being for 5 year olds or Jonny's not so calm bashing of the game. I understand criticism but some of Jonny's comments seemed to go way over the top.

In regards to 3rd party games being published. So what? If they are good games and fit Nintendo's approach there is nothing wrong with that. My guess is that are already starting to shift resources to the next DS and Wii as well.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 12:32:50 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2008, 12:51:13 PM »
WAIT WHAT???? WII MUSIC IS FOR FIVE YEAR OLDS?????? I'VE BEEN ENJOYING A GAME FOR TODDLERS?!?

CURSE YOU NINTENDO AND YOUR CASUAL GAMING WAYS!! CURSE YOU TILL MY ROTTEN CORPSE STINKS UP THE PILE DONKEY F*CK YOU CALL CASUAL GAMING!!!

...OK, I've done my Nintendo fanboy rant of the day.

GP, just see it his way. Johnny is just meeting his quota. You HAVE to hate on Wii Music or else you'll lose credibility as a hardcore game reviewer.

...Not that he had any. He sucks. :p
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2008, 01:01:32 PM »
WAIT WHAT???? WII MUSIC IS FOR FIVE YEAR OLDS?????? I'VE BEEN ENJOYING A GAME FOR TODDLERS?!?

CURSE YOU NINTENDO AND YOUR CASUAL GAMING WAYS!! CURSE YOU TILL MY ROTTEN CORPSE STINKS UP THE PILE DONKEY F*CK YOU CALL CASUAL GAMING!!!

...OK, I've done my Nintendo fanboy rant of the day.

GP, just see it his way. Johnny is just meeting his quota. You HAVE to hate on Wii Music or else you'll lose credibility as a hardcore game reviewer.

...Not that he had any. He sucks. :p

Hey now I like Mr. Jonny, he is my friend on Xbox Live and he is nice to me! I show him tough love ;)

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2008, 01:20:54 PM »
Like bondage and stuff?
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2008, 05:09:01 PM »
To say that Wii Music appeal to five-year-olds is not to put it down.  Miyamoto himself has frequently said that the game should be particularly appealing to young children.  I have said on other episodes that the game is a lot like passing around a box of various musical instruments in a kindergarten class.  This isn't the first time Nintendo has developed a game specifically for young children -- remember that Pokemon thing for GameCube?  Even the N64 game Hey You Pikachu was that way.  I'm glad there are games for extremely young gamers.  I just don't think that is the kind of game that should be propping up Nintendo's Christmas lineup.  And I think it's fair to warn people that the game is primarily intended for children, as that may not be apparent from Nintendo's marketing campaign.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!