Author Topic: Should You Buy Xenoblade Chronicles 3D?  (Read 7164 times)

Should You Buy Xenoblade Chronicles 3D?
« on: April 10, 2015, 07:40:00 AM »

Use our fancy questionnaire and figure out if it is indeed Reyn time for you and yours.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/editorial/40062/should-you-buy-xenoblade-chronicles-3d

Today, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D launches on New 3DS in North America. This is the widest release of anything Xenoblade in America yet, as the Wii release and the Shulk Amiibo were both exclusive to GameStop. You might not be fully aware of what Xenoblade is and why you (yes, you) might want to buy it.

So, in addition to our glowing review, we came up with a few questions that, when asked, should be able to point you in the right direction.

Do you like RPGs?

If you answer yes: What the hell are you waiting for? If you missed out on Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, you missed out on one of the best Japanese RPGs in the past decade. It's expansive, with a compelling story, unique combat, and an interesting world.

If you answer no: This likely isn't for you because, well, it is an RPG. However, the action is in real time in a way similar to an MMO. If you're not a fan of turn-based battles, then Xenoblade might be the RPG for you.

Do you own a New 3DS?

If you answer yes: Awesome! Now you can actually play Xenoblade Chronicles 3D because it is the first New 3DS exclusive title.

If you answer no: Even if you wanted to play this game, you can't. Sorry, I know it's a bummer, but Xenoblade Chronicles 3D only works on the New 3DS XL (and the New 3DS if you live outside of America)

Do graphics trump gameplay for you?

If you answer yes: Go play some Final Fantasy XIII or something. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D looks vaguely like butt on the New 3DS. It runs smoothly, but the textures look muddy and the best parts of the Wii version's graphics, namely the draw distance and scale, are washed away on the smaller screen.

If you answer no: Then run to your store - retail or digital - and buy this damn game.

Did you play Xenoblade on Wii?

If you answer yes: There likely isn't much for you here. Xenoblade is a masterful game, but it's also a heck of a commitment. There is nothing new in the main game here.

If you answer no: Then you should probably get this game (as long as you also like RPGs). It'll take you 50+ hours to beat at a bare minimum, but coming from the perspective of someone who rarely puts that amount of time into a game, Xenoblade is totally worth your time. And if you want a game to last you several days, well, there is more than 100 hours of content in this game. It’s huge.

Do you like Terminator?

If you answer yes: In a way, the story is kind of like that. You control a bunch of humans (called Homs) who fight machines (called the Mechon) and there's a war. There was even an event that was sort of like Judgment Day, kind of.

If you answer no: Don't worry. The man vs. machine thing isn't obnoxiously overbearing. The whole story also gets freaking ridiculous. It's to the point where I don't even think one specific spoiler would ruin it. There are that many twists and turns.

Are you really feeling it?

If you answer yes: Then it must be Reyn Time. Go buy this game.

If you answer no: Get over yourself, Monado boy. Everyone should feel it.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Should You Buy Xenoblade Chronicles 3D?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 03:03:02 PM »
So it's good for RPG fans who haven't already played the game on Wii, already own a New 3DS console, and don't care about graphics.

Seems like a pretty niche audience they are shooting for... count me in!  (Disclaimer: I don't currently own, or have immediate plans to buy, a New 3DS. But it'll probably happen eventually and I love me some Xenoblade!)
NNID: ejamer

Offline fred13

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 04:09:27 PM »
I have to disagree with 1 part of this article. I own and played this game on the Wii and I'm still getting it TODAY! I'll be more than happy to enjoy another 90ish hours of my life because of this game (and I don't think I've ever taken a 15+ hour game and conquered it twice it's just not my style)

I have to fully agree and then some with another part of your article.

"If you're not a fan of turn-based battles, then Xenoblade might be the RPG for you."
[/size][/color]
[/size]I love RPGs in concept, but once we get into the turn based battle stuff it kills me. For example, I loved the story in Earthbound, but I couldn't bring myself to get very far because all the grinding with super boring turned based battles killed the enjoyment for me. This however gave me very little grinding and real time not boring battles. [/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]Xenoblade I'm coming back for more TODAY![/color]

Offline fred13

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 04:10:36 PM »
Wow sorry I didn't mean to mess that text up I just copied from the article and then pasted it in and I guess that killed it.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 04:15:20 PM »
This belongs in a flow chart.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 05:46:32 PM »
You know, I loved Xenoblade on the Wii (even though I will never even come close to finishing it), but was this really necessary?

Do graphics trump gameplay for you?If you answer yes: Go play some Final Fantasy XIII or something. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D looks vaguely like butt on the New 3DS. It runs smoothly, but the textures look muddy and the best parts of the Wii version's graphics, namely the draw distance and scale, are washed away on the smaller screen.
If you answer no: Then run to your store - retail or digital - and buy this damn game.
Seriously? I can think of at least 3 other ways you could have phrased that without sounding like a condescending hipster.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 05:55:22 PM »
(Sounds like someone likes Final Fantasy XIII and prefers graphics over gameplay)
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 06:00:18 PM »
(Sounds like someone likes Final Fantasy XIII and prefers graphics over gameplay)

I've made no secret that I like the FF 13 games (just as I've made no secret that Xenoblade is my favorite Wii game) and, yes, I don't think production values & mechanics are mutually exclusive. You don't have to cripple one to improve the other if you have a talented development team. The only people who argue that they are are Nintendo fanboys trying to excuse why Nintendo's hardware is frequently half a decade to a decade behind their competitors.

Offline EvilMario

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 07:30:39 PM »
I actually think replaying the game, if you enjoyed it the first time, is an amazing choice. Once you know the plot, the characters, the outcome.. it changes how you see many of the conversations, you see lots of foreshadowing and it makes the game even more brilliant to me.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 07:43:54 PM »

I've made no secret that I like the FF 13 games (just as I've made no secret that Xenoblade is my favorite Wii game)

I didn't actually know that. I only said that since you seemed to be irritated by the article mentioning that so I thought I'd reiterate it for fun.

and, yes, I don't think production values & mechanics are mutually exclusive. You don't have to cripple one to improve the other if you have a talented development team.

True.

The only people who argue that they are Nintendo fanboys trying to excuse why Nintendo's hardware is frequently half a decade to a decade behind their competitors.

I wouldn't argue that they are exclusive but I just don't care if a game has the most cutting edge graphics. I think it was Chibi-Robo when I realized this. The graphics for it were quite rough compared to most other GC games. It almost felt like it was closer to Nintendo 64 than GC. Yet, I enjoyed the game and even found the lack of graphical prowess as further endearing. I'd say Katamari Damacy would fall into that position also.

Thus, it taught me not to look too closely or be concerned too much with a game's graphics. Sure, it may make for appealing footage when shown and advertised but if the gameplay isn't great, graphics rarely, rarely make up for it. The reason so many of us go back and play older games is because of the gameplay. If graphics only mattered, everything would be remastered constantly or we would have all stopped caring about older games.

However, when you have a situation where a game that does blend great gameplay and graphics together yet fails to sell enough because of the development cost caused by incorporating the highest graphic capabilities, then I think graphics are an issue and a problem. Perhaps the wiser choice would have been to scale back on the graphic cost to make a profit to make more games. I do think that has led to more and more safe sequel choices in gaming and less diversity. At least from the large gaming corporations. The indie scene is a bit different but it wouldn't even exist that much if game companies were willing to diversify instead of putting all their eggs in one or two games and then hope they don't flop or they're in trouble. It's a big reason why I think Nintendo does keep chugging along despite many of the troubles it's competitors have faced. 3DS games obviously don't have the graphics of console games yet I own a lot of games for it. Heck, yesterday I just popped in Crosswords Plus in my 3DS and have started playing through a bunch of puzzles because I like to test my brain power with trivia and games like that. How many of the major game companies are bothering to make a simple game like that? There's an audience for it but they aren't interested in it. Nintendo has no problem making such software and I can't help but feel that their decision to not get caught up in the graphics arm race is a part of the reason why they will make such software.

Thus, not releasing a graphical powerhouse console doesn't bother me. The only reason it is an issue is because then it limits third party support because 3rd parties feel that they can't sell a game that isn't a graphical powerhouse and don't want to work on porting a version in which they have to work extra to scale it down or adjust the game to play on the Nintendo console. Despite the adversity caused by having high production costs for so many game companies, it's clear at this point, they don't want to lower their risk or follow Nintendo's philosophy and release games at a lower graphical budget. I guess we'll see how this battle plays out but I feel the industry was in a better state 10 years ago then it is now and better graphics for gaming consoles obviously didn't result in the industry being stronger.

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 09:15:51 PM »
I don't own a New 3DS XL and have no desire to (I MIGHT have gotten the regular New 3DS), so getting the game isn't even an option to me.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 09:44:29 PM »
OK, what hellish alternate reality are we in where I'm the one doing the pithy 2-3 sentence posts & Khushrenada's putting up the 4 paragraph essays?  :P: ;)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 10:56:42 PM »
OK, what hellish alternate reality are we in

AKA

Hothead in a Forum Thread

Two posters enter. Khushrenada leaves as the winner obviously. The beauty of the Khushrenada persona is that you never know what, where and how I'm gonna post. You just know that it's going to suck!

I mean, suck if my post and wrath is directed at you. Cause I'm bringing the pain. My posts are painful to read.

I mean, painful if they are directed at someone else I disagree with and they read them. Or if the mods read them. Or if any other forum users read them. Or if Khushrenada reads them. Like the many blows that rain down on the poorly opinionated from the vigorous energy of ones wielding the hammer of logic, facts and truth, so also Khushrenada's posts blow.

Yaaaaawn.

Oh!

Hello.

You startled me there. Was there something you needed? Were we talking about so-
*zzzzzzzzzzz*
*snore*
*zzzzzzzzz*

About two hundred extraneous hard returns removed to make the article on the site readable again - Shaymin
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 09:07:43 AM by Shaymin »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 08:56:51 AM »
... I don't think production values & mechanics are mutually exclusive. ...

Agree.

... You don't have to cripple one to improve the other if you have a talented development team. ...

Disagree slightly - budget and time constraints (not just talent) come into play here in a significant way, and so does target platform. My experience suggests that development is often an exercise in defining priorities and compromises. If the game is fun enough, I'm ok with that.
NNID: ejamer

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 07:45:33 PM »
I picked it up, mostly because I find myself less likely to play a lengthy RPG unless it's tied to a medium that doesn't require TV use for extended periods of time.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 08:13:53 PM »
so basically, get the 3ds version if you havent got the wii version

gotcha