Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1590973 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2400 on: February 27, 2012, 04:56:15 PM »
I wish Nintendo would put out Wii U controller prototypes for the public to feel because it's damn comfortable despite what it may look like.

Are you the same MegaByte from TMK (www.themushroomkingdom.net)?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: February 27, 2012, 05:43:39 PM »
Either way, the Wii U should be a hackers dream.

Not this talk again. Isn't it against the forum rules to talk about hacking and / or piracy?

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: February 27, 2012, 05:54:29 PM »
http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/02/22/aliens-colonial-marines-wii-u-randy-pitchford-interview/

This is a pretty cool read! Here is some interesting stuff!
How Aliens: Colonial Marines Wii U will reinvent the videogame gun
Meanwhile, our hope at Gearbox is that the final specification for the hardware is much more powerful than the current competitive consoles so that studios like ours can bring a better standard of high definition image not only to television, but to the controller’s screen at the same time.
With the entire game playable on the controller screen – one of Gearbox’s key aims – what’s stopping local co-op? We guess the answers lie with Gearbox’s R&D boys and Wii U’s final spec.
Out of respect for our friends and partners at Nintendo, I think specific technical details regarding the hardware should come from them,” he says, adding that, “we’ve been intrigued by what we’ve seen so far and are encouraging Nintendo to go as aggressively as they can afford with the performance specifications. We imagine that performance specifications are within affordable reach that would provide undeniable performance advantages over competitive platforms. Nintendo have a lot more experience than we do in managing the balance between performance and cost with their hardware, of course, so I do not want to be presumptuous.
This last quote seems to go hand in hand with the rumor BlackNM posted a few days ago about weaker initial development kits with Nintendo constantly upping the over all power with newer ones.

If BlackNMild has already posted this, please curse him for me.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:58:04 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: February 27, 2012, 06:28:59 PM »

Not this talk again. Isn't it against the forum rules to talk about hacking and / or piracy?

Piracy, yes, or at least nothing specific. Hacking, no. There's a difference, and there are some really good legal reasons to install homebrew on Wiis. DKCR is just so much better with a Classic Controller. Granted, knowing Stogi, that's probably not what he's talking about, but he's not breaking any rules at the moment.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2404 on: February 27, 2012, 07:01:22 PM »
Nintendo's done a much better job at security lately though, so it could be a long while before we ever see anything.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: February 27, 2012, 08:11:52 PM »
Yeah, I was mostly talking about being able to the use the Wii U tablet for other things besides gaming, such as watching a movie. I think hacking could help with that.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: February 27, 2012, 10:03:28 PM »
http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/02/22/aliens-colonial-marines-wii-u-randy-pitchford-interview/
If BlackNMild has already posted this, please curse him for me.
Sorry Caterkiller
<---- Already cursed

But I didn't quote any of the article if that makes you feel better ;D .

And I didn't really quote any of it because something had seemed off about it as if I had read it before somewhere...
supposedly it's an article from sometime last year being reposted as if it was new.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:07:04 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: February 28, 2012, 01:19:09 AM »
I swear I look through every post to be sure. Well I skim a bit. I guess my new description is fitting. At least it's funny. But I would have chosen "Unquestioned wushu master and over lord" myself.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: February 28, 2012, 02:53:11 AM »
Sup Cata? It's getting closer to GDC I'm excited! Ninty did say they were going to release info on Wii U throughout the year :D
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: February 28, 2012, 03:06:55 AM »

Piracy, yes, or at least nothing specific. Hacking, no. There's a difference, and there are some really good legal reasons to install homebrew on Wiis. DKCR is just so much better with a Classic Controller. Granted, knowing Stogi, that's probably not what he's talking about, but he's not breaking any rules at the moment.

But hacking can (and oftentimes does) lead to piracy, it's just so tempting for some. Once you crack the OS code, you can do anything with it, including installing *free* games. But whatever, if that's what some people want to do, then it's their business.

/end rant

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #2410 on: February 28, 2012, 08:20:56 AM »
You can't put a ban on guns because of the temptation they create. People are innocent until proven guilty. When you buy something, you own it and you can do with it as you please. When a console maker releases a console for $50 and says you are leasing it and they want it back in 5 years, then I will say that you shouldn't mod it.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: February 28, 2012, 08:27:31 AM »
Tekken series producer Katsuhiro Harada has been speaking about Wii U.

Harada has been hands-on with Nintendo's next console, and is impressed with the results of latency tests. Speaking to Nintendo Gamer he said, "The speed of the image transmission feature from the screen to the controller is impressive.

"The first time I saw Wii U, I thought, 'isn't the delay longer than one frame? If it is, it's going to be difficult for fighting games.' But when I heard that the latency actually isn't more than 1/60th second I was really happy." The ultimate goal is have a fighting game running at 60 frames per second.

The console's innovative controller has been a source of inspiration. "I've often heard about or seen fighting-game players playing with a strategy guide open at their feet," Harada said. "So it would be useful if we could, for example, distribute an enhanced digital version of the guide that the player could see while playing, and even touch to have a live preview on the main screen." So could the controller be used to display a list of special moves, and function as an educational aid? Perhaps.

But he also wants to take advantage of the controller's touchscreen, allowing players to design new costume patterns for their favourite characters. "Another thing I would like to do is use the capacity to write on the screen," he said. "I'd like to implement a feature such as being able to customise the character by drawing and painting on the screen."

Nintendo Wii U is slated for a released sometime in 2012.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice, I don't plan on using the controller for a fighter but still, having the tablet as a guide would be nice.  BTW:  You can still get TvC Fightstick cheap at Gametop--$20 and it should work for the WII U as well.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: February 28, 2012, 09:02:48 AM »
But hacking can (and oftentimes does) lead to piracy, it's just so tempting for some.
Reminds me of an old joke:
Why won't the Amish have sex standing up? They're afraid it might lead to dancing.

This is also a fallacious argument: the "gateway drug" or "floodgate" argument. Modding and piracy are two different activities. One does not "lead" to the other. You are either modding to pirate, or you're just modding. If it is for piracy, then focus on that illegal activity and leave modding out of the conversation.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: February 28, 2012, 08:08:14 PM »
But whatever, if that's what some people want to do, then it's their business.

Its also the business of law enforcement.
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2414 on: February 28, 2012, 08:47:11 PM »
You can't put a ban on guns because of the temptation they create. People are innocent until proven guilty. When you buy something, you own it and you can do with it as you please. When a console maker releases a console for $50 and says you are leasing it and they want it back in 5 years, then I will say that you shouldn't mod it.

Not to play devil's advocate...but I must for fun. 
Even in the US, when you are buying a gun you must register for a background check, and in some States register so the government knows you have a gun.  Sure, it is innocent before proven guilty, but they are dang sure making tabs on anyone that is legally buying guns so they can know who could possibly use them.

Now, this could relate to hacking.  People are looking at hackers as people who can potentially pirate software, great viruses, do all sorts of cyber crimes.  Is it fair no of course not.  It probably is only a small percentage of hackers that do these things, but nobody knows the size exactly and what people can do with hacking scares companies and governments.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: February 28, 2012, 08:51:26 PM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/28/ready-at-dawn-ramping-up-for-new-third-person-actionadventure-game/
Ready at Dawn, makers of God of War: Chains of Olympus and the Wii version of Okami, are on a hiring spree. Right now, they have job listings ranging from gameplay programmer to senior concept artist. If you are living in the Southern California area you might want to give this page a look.

The game in development is a third person action adventure for a "next generation home console game system." Make of that what you will. Before you say God of War or Daxter, this game is a new intellectual property.

Wii U game in the works?

@Ymee, that Tekken article is also an old story from last year being recycled as if it's new news.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:19:25 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: February 29, 2012, 12:01:33 AM »
At this point a rumor about a game for an "upcoming system" could mean any of them, because I don't see the competition coming out more than a year after the WiiU, and in the case of the xbox420 it might even come out THIS year.
is your sanity...

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: February 29, 2012, 12:26:05 AM »
At this point a rumor about a game for an "upcoming system" could mean any of them, because I don't see the competition coming out more than a year after the WiiU, and in the case of the xbox420 it might even come out THIS year.

That'd be a big mistake on Microsoft's part, unless third-parties have been hard at work for years now on the system AND they've all managed to keep their mouths shut.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: February 29, 2012, 09:53:58 AM »
Not sure if this was posted but here's a link to NeoGaf with illustrations of the original tablet controller design vs the one at E3 last year. I like the original design more.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35468866&postcount=10922

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: February 29, 2012, 10:38:53 AM »
I think the earlier design would have wobbled if you placed it on its back to play a two-player touchscreen game like Reversi.

I don't know why Nintendo wants to push the slide pads though. Granted, I have yet to use one, but it seems like it would be worse than conventional analogue sticks.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: February 29, 2012, 10:52:20 AM »
I think Conventional sticks would make it really awkward to hold.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: February 29, 2012, 10:55:54 AM »
I like the handles/grips which would also allow the controller to be closer to lying flat on a table or floor than at an angle. I also like the button placement, namely start/select and that the D-pad and face buttons are diagonal from the analog sticks. Looks more comfortable.

I don't think the analog sticks would make it awkward to hold. How would using them be noticably different than the controllers we've been using for over a decade?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:58:18 AM by Adrock »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: February 29, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »
I like the handles/grips which would also allow the controller to be closer to lying flat on a table or floor than at an angle. I also like the button placement, namely start/select and that the D-pad and face buttons are diagonal from the analog sticks. Looks more comfortable.

I don't think the analog sticks would make it awkward to hold. How would using them be noticably different than the controllers we've been using for over a decade?
The lack of curve grips.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: February 29, 2012, 11:56:13 AM »
In that case, I disagree. I think it would be fine either way.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: February 29, 2012, 02:55:41 PM »
I'm not hugely concerned about the slide pads, but personally I can't shake the feeling that I'll really miss analog sticks in comparison. I've loved Nintendo analog sticks with a vengeance ever since the N64, I get the eerie sensation the Wii U slide pads will be servicable, but put an end to that part of my Nintendo love story...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.