Author Topic: Nintendo Not Hosting 'Large-Scale' Presentation at E3 2013  (Read 15805 times)

Offline Patchkid15

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Nintendo Not Hosting 'Large-Scale' Presentation at E3 2013
« on: April 24, 2013, 10:55:01 PM »

Nintendo is aiming to host several smaller events in place of a large one.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34006

Nintendo revealed during their financial results briefing that at this year's E3, the company plans to host several smaller events in lieu of a large presentation.

During the event, Nintendo Satoru Iwata explained "Unlike previous years, we will not have a large-scale [E3] presentation directed to everyone in the world. Instead, we are planning several smaller events focusing on software for America. Among these hands-on events will be one for American distributors and another for western media."

During E3 2012 Nintendo held other meetings as well as their large presentation. This year, the company is striving to be different and announce all of their new software through the smaller events.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Not Hosting 'Large-Scale' Presentation at E3 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:05:19 PM »
Well, now we know why that last Nintendo Direct was so ridiculous.  :-\   This will probably turn out to be a massive mistake.  The general public neither knows about their Nintendo Directs, nor gives a flying **** about them.  The only ones who care are people like us, and we probably already own a Wii U.  With no E3 presser this year, Nintendo's given away just about their only mass market media coverage they're going to get on Wii U for the rest of the year.

Either Nintendo's arrogant enough to believe that they don't "need" E3 this year, or they have so little to actually show on the console front that they're saving themselves the embarrassment of a pathetically light E3 showing against the PS4 and Durango.  Either way, Nintendo just threw in the towel on the Wii U, whether they realize it yet or not.  Well, at least the 3DS is still worth following.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 11:06:52 PM »
The general public doesnt watch E3 either. The press will still cover their E3 events, so the coverage will still be there.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 11:07:29 PM »
No other way to say it. This sucks.

I know E3 is a trade show for the industry and distributors but it still holds an important place for consumers. Right now, as a Wii U owner, morale is low. I was looking forward to the press conference now more than ever. I wanted to gawk at all the new games and be blown away by what Nintendo has to offer me. More importantly, they need to get the attention of the mainstream media and I don't think they can do that by hosting little events every day. 

The general public doesnt watch E3 either. The press will still cover their E3 events, so the coverage will still be there.

How many major media outlets covered Nintendo's main presser vs their smaller 3DS showcase last year?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:09:20 PM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Fjurbanski

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 11:09:58 PM »
Other than not watching a 1 hour press conference, what will be the difference? The media will still get all the news and post all the news. We'll still get videos of the demos, new trailers, and all the information.
Add me on Wii U. : ) --> FJUrban

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 11:11:35 PM »

But once the show begins, the press will be running around covering other games, and who wants to cover whatever Nintendo has to show when there's PS4 and Durango games on the show floor to get coverage on? Seriously, from a mass market news media perspective, why give a **** about Nintendo now if you have to go out of your way for them?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 11:11:40 PM »
Hmmm... This is an unexpected twist.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 11:13:32 PM »
How many major media outlets covered Nintendo's main presser vs their smaller 3DS showcase last year?

I recall seeing a LOT of coverage of their 3DS showcase actually. And Nintendo will still have events at E3 this year, it just wont be one big press conference. All their information will still be covered and released.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Fjurbanski

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 11:17:27 PM »
But once the show begins, the press will be running around covering other games, and who wants to cover whatever Nintendo has to show when there's PS4 and Durango games on the show floor to get coverage on? Seriously, from a mass market news media perspective, why give a **** about Nintendo now if you have to go out of your way for them?

It's their job. They'll cover it. No site is going to want another site getting de facto exclusivity to the 3D Mario demo because they were too lazy to cover it.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 11:22:36 PM »

It's their job. They'll cover it. No site is going to want another site getting de facto exclusivity to the 3D Mario demo because they were too lazy to cover it.

It's their job to get maximum news coverage per their audience.  If their audience is excited for whatever Microsoft & Sony shows, & Nintendo's doing whatever they're doing against that, Nintendo will lose.

E3 was already notoriously nuts for the gaming press with the format we already had with the 3 Pre-E3 pressers and then the show.  Pulling this nonsense at the last possible moment after the press has already started making their E3 plans is not going to garner them any favors.  So if it comes down to getting coverage of the the vast majority of games at the conference or going way out of their way for Nintendo's thing, Nintendo will lose that bet every time.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 11:25:27 PM »
The only way I see this working is if Nintendo drop a major announcement during a Nintendo Direct 1 or 2 days before Microsoft/Sony host their press conferences, then drop another one right after.

Offline Fjurbanski

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 11:26:52 PM »
If that was the case, then they wouldn't bother covering the Nintendo stuff at all. The fact that you think the main gaming sites won't cover this is absolutely absurd. It's their JOB. Nintendo will get all the coverage they need.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 11:27:55 PM »
If that was the case, then they wouldn't bother covering the Nintendo stuff at all. The fact that you think the main gaming sites won't cover this is absolutely absurd. It's their JOB. Nintendo will get all the coverage they need.

We're not talking gaming sites. We're talking mainstream outlets outside the gaming industry (CNN, USA Today,etc.)

EDIT: At least I think that's who we're talking about...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:30:54 PM by Soren »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 11:31:34 PM »

We're not talking gaming sites. We're talking mainstream outlets outside the gaming industry (CNN, USA Today,etc.)

Precisely. We're talking about those major mass-market newsmedia outlets whose presence was the very reason Nintendo had all those terrible casual-centric E3 presentations.  But apparently now that the casuals don't give a damn about Nintendo anymore, Nintendo's taking its ball and going home because they know they can't compete with the other two companies at E3.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 11:32:40 PM »

EDIT: At least I think that's who we're talking about...

They'll cover Nintendo as well because they will be invited to the events they do hold. They will be there. These events will be tailored to them as well.

Nintendo will still be at E3. Their booth will still likely be the same size as it's always been.  However there will be closed events for press and retailers, tailored to them most likely.  Also likely Nintendo Directs and several of them as well. We all know how great they can be and the ones likely to be broadcast during E3 week are likely to be big.

That's a possibility of a week of constant coverage and announcements and not just a single 1 hour presentation that may or may not go well live on stage.

broodwars you need to calm down.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:38:48 PM by NeoStar9X »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 11:33:26 PM »
This Screams NCL.  The timing w/ Iwata taking full reigns. 

Mainstream media doesn't care about E3.  Its people like us who cares and we'll get all the info.  Nintendo should be at the show itself and doing lots of demos, interviews, and closed door demonstrations.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 11:35:54 PM »
I think this is actually a smart move on Nintendo's part. Every time they introduce stuff to the "internet at large" they get crucified, and so much of their product is most impressive when getting people hands-on play time anyways.

This is Nintendo specifically targeting Western media without a whole bunch of distractions or opinions shaped by the internet echo chamber.  They would have been drowned out by Sony and Microsoft at E3 anyways, as that's what the press will chase, the big stories.  This sits them down and forces them to focus on Nintendo products in a controlled environment.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Fjurbanski

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 11:37:28 PM »
I don't see how giving the media constant news throughout the week of E3 is going to get them less coverage...

Also, as long as they have things on the show floor or behind closed doors, then what does it matter if they don't have a 1 hour press conference?

And don't even act like people who get their E3 news from CNN actually care.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 11:38:50 PM »
Wii U is struggling, Sony AND Microsoft are launching new consoles this year, and Nintendo's idea is to not hold a big E3 presentation. That sounds counterproductive. I suppose if we get a couple of those really informatice presentations like the 3DS one last year, it keeps things focused. We'll see what happens.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 12:01:30 AM »
The way I see it is E3 is one big gaming orgy.  Sony and MS will show up an blow their loads early where Nintendo will be looking to do some foreplay and extend the loving for the duration of the party. 

As long as Nintendo can give people something new to talk about every day, they'll be a constant in everyone's mind IMO.  I think this is genius because it gives us something to look forward to throughout the whole event instead of just caring about the big pressers and then catching up on all the other minor details with the remaining days. 

Offline house3136

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 12:02:54 AM »
 From what I understand, Nintendo will have Nintendo Directs for game announcements, a separate press event, a distributor event, and game demos on the show floor. If the mainstream press ignores them, that’s out of Nintendo’s hands. Nintendo Direct also enables Nintendo to make more announcements throughout the year, which the press can pick up on and cover without all the PS4/Durango hype. All Nintendo has to do is advertise the games when they’re available; that’s how people will know about them, not because they read about them in USA Today 5 months prior.

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 12:03:01 AM »
This is a great move my Nintendo.

Folks, E3 is dying. The big 3 don't care about it anymore.

Look at today alone. When is the new Xbox being revealed? In May, BEFORE E3. Meaning their E3 Presentation is going to be crap in comparisson. And Nintendo probably will do a Nintendo Direct right around that same time instead of the E3 presentation.

Folks, E3 is going to be a demo fest this year. Good for game journalists, but that's it. Not going to need to watch a lot unless you really want to watch other people play demos.

Sony is going to follow suit. In future years, don't be surprised if E3 becomes big only for third parties.

Nintendo is staying ahead of the curve here. E3 is on it's way out - losing out to the digital world - and they are not going to be caught as the coffin closes on it.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 12:15:33 AM »
Live stream and recorded stream of the press conference via Wii U and 3DS.

Time-limited downloadable demos for ALL games that were going to be shown off on the sales floor, with video introductions by Nintendo staff talking about the game, what to do, etc.

Miiverse interaction for the demos, so folks can ask staff questions about the games.

E3?  Who needs it.  Nintendo Direct, baby.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 12:16:23 AM »
Look at today alone. When is the new Xbox being revealed? In May, BEFORE E3. Meaning their E3 Presentation is going to be crap in comparisson.

To be fair, Microsoft says they are only gonna TEASE the new Xbox before E3, they say they will fully unveil it at E3.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 12:17:26 AM »
I dunno, this feels kinda whack. I think a lot of folks (myself included) were counting on one hell of a main stage show to draw off attention from Microsoft and Sony. I have a hard time seeing how a series of smaller low-key events is going to somehow do better against the next-gen blow-out.  Seems reminiscent of "alt" kids having an "anti-prom" to really show those cool kids that they totally don't care.