Author Topic: Non-Game Software You'd Like to See for the NDS  (Read 8171 times)

Offline BlackGriffen

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Non-Game Software You'd Like to See for the NDS
« on: November 07, 2004, 08:35:42 AM »
I'll start with my wish list:
  • calendar software with with ability to set appointments, alarms, and whatnot.
  • some kind of address book (phone, email, addy, etc)
  • to do list
  • scientific calculator
  • some kind of syncing software and adapter for computers

I get the impression that the first item will be built in from PGC's impressions article. It wouldn't surprise me if the second were built in, too. The third is a no-brainer, and should also be built in. It's the fourth that won't be built in and may not be made.

What would I like to see in sci-calc software for the DS? Well, a port of EasyCalc would be nice, but I don't know whether a dev would like the idea of being held to the GPL. An equivalent would do fine, as well. It would certainly be nice for all of those students who are expected to buy a scientific calculator for their class work if they could just spend $20 or so on some software for the DS they already own.

Yes, I would like to use a DS as a replacement for the Palm that died on me as well as a gaming machine.

What would you all like to see, and why?

BlackGriffen

RE:Non-Game Software You'd Like to See for the NDS
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 08:45:42 AM »
Well, a web browser would be awsome.  Also, some sort of note taking program so you can jott down little notes, or recored sound clips.  The DS has a calander and clock built in, but I dont think it has appointment and scheduling freatures, so that would be cool.  Aslo, some sort of email program would be neat.  You could send and recive email from any wireless spot with you NDS!  Maybe AIM, Y! and MSN messengers!  Some sort of Mp3 player would be cool.  It could come in two part.  A GBA cart with the actual software, and a NDS card that is prettymuch blank, and you could put your music onto it.

Some programs are so simple that it wouldent make sence to sell them seprate.  You could have your Calander, To Do List, Address Book and Email all as one software pack.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Non-Game Software You'd Like to See for the NDS
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 09:05:09 AM »
I'd settle for Linux. And no links to dslinux.com, those are spammers and don't do anything themselves, they offer money to other people so they port Linux for them.

Offline Tanuki Suit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 09:32:05 AM »
Some sort of mobile phone software would be good. The DS already has a mic built in, and even if the DS's wireless stuff couldn't be used for it, there could be an add-on reciever/transmitter. Perhaps you have the adapter that goes in the GBA slot that you put your sim card in. Then the actual mobile phone software goes in the NDS card slot.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 09:34:34 AM »
Basically, one all encompassing cart that has a browser and organizer and I would be ecstatic...It woudl be a big seller too, something Nintendo should think about making.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 11:20:51 AM »
Well, it's not really software, but it might be neat to have some sort of keyboard addon. It could hookup through the GBA port, or, if all else fails, it could use "analog" signals over the mic port.

It probably wouldn't be a huge seller, but I wouldn't be surprised if MadKatz or one of them made something like that.

Also, I don't particularly want it, but don't be surprised if somebody makes some "hookup" software where people put in a personal profile and what you're looking for in a date, and the DS keeps an electronic ear out for someone that matches. Maybe only if the DS gets really popular.

BlackGriffen

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 11:25:36 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackGriffen
Also, I don't particularly want it, but don't be surprised if somebody makes some "hookup" software where people put in a personal profile and what you're looking for in a date, and the DS keeps an electronic ear out for someone that matches. Maybe only if the DS gets really popular.

Stuff like that on cellphones is HUGE in Japan...

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 11:35:52 AM »

Originally posted by: Switchblade Cross

Stuff like that on cellphones is HUGE in Japan...

That's exactly what I had in mind when I thought of that - I just couldn't remember what exactly had been decked out with that ability. Do you know if those use bluetooth? IIRC, the NDS has a bluetooth based wireless and WiFi. If true, it may be able to interact with the cell phones.

BG

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2004, 01:33:56 PM »

That's exactly what I had in mind when I thought of that - I just couldn't remember what exactly had been decked out with that ability. Do you know if those use bluetooth? IIRC, the NDS has a bluetooth based wireless and WiFi. If true, it may be able to interact with the cell phones.

BG

As far as I know, it is all done through GPS which is regulated by a national server.  Its a service they pay for.  But that nothing out of the ordinary there.  Celphone extras are crazy there.  I mean, it is said that net surfing in Japan is done more on cellphones then on computers...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2004, 08:12:14 PM »
GPS??? Don't you thnk they use triangulation with multiple nodes? GPS is kinda expensive.

As for Bluetooth, no, the DS doesn't use that, it does an 802.11 and Nintendo's proprietary protocol.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2004, 09:33:18 PM »
Nintendos proprietary is based off of bluetooth though...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2004, 10:37:18 PM »
I want an electronic dictionary/translator, like, say, for my Japanese classes, having something that can identify a kanji after you write it in with the stylus would be really cool. Then, I wouldn't have to buy a whole 'nother gizmo for it.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 05:55:47 AM »
I could deal with a webbrowser that allows all those other features to be accessed from its main page, but I don't want to have to put a gamecard into my DS to check addresses, calender and such.  It just doesn't seem worth it...you would be better to create a browser that had all those features on it.  If you buy the broswer you get free E-mail, calender program that would also give you all those other features.

DS, really should just be used for gaming.  These other options aren't going to be THAT useful, or convenant to purchase.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2004, 07:47:27 AM »

I'll start with my wish list:
  • calendar software with with ability to set appointments, alarms, and whatnot.
  • some kind of address book (phone, email, addy, etc)
  • to do list
  • some kind of syncing software and adapter for computers

Yeah me too, I want all of these but I'm realllly hoping for the calendar with appointments and the address book because I've been wanting to buy a Palm but they're too expensive for me.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2004, 09:12:57 AM »
As I said before, Palm offers a PDA that costs less than a GC game so it can't be too expensive.

Any form of management software would only be useful if it was permanently integrated into the DS, switching carts for that sucks and if it was in the firmware it could listen for new mails while you play a game.

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2004, 05:59:17 PM »
Really? Their bottom of the line looks like it's $99 to me. That's less than a DS, but it won't have the gaming capabilities of the DS. Carrying both is a bigger hassle than having to switch carts, to be quite frank. Yeah, I think they should have a "web pack" for web, email, etc. A "productivity pack" (maybe not separate from the web pack). A "nerd pack" with a scientific calc, unit conversion, etc.

Dunno, maybe they will put all of that on one pack - I'm pretty sure it'd fit.

BlackGriffen

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2004, 08:12:33 PM »
That's interesting because I've seen the Zire 21 for 55€ (60-65USD, GC games cost 60€) in a store.

Of course it would all fit into one pack. PDAs with 32MB can fit all that stuff in, DS carts have 128MB minimum. I'd consider selling all those separately a rip-off.

Besides, surveys show that users don't want multi function devices and are willing to carry around three different devices. Cellphone, PDA, Gameboy/DS. So this feature wouldn't sell too well.

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2004, 05:43:24 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
That's interesting because I've seen the Zire 21 for 55€ (60-65USD, GC games cost 60€) in a store.

Someone was selling it as a massive loss leader, then, because that's way below MSRP (judging by the manufacturer's price) and about 25% cheaper than the cheapest price currently available on the internet..

Of course it would all fit into one pack. PDAs with 32MB can fit all that stuff in, DS carts have 128MB minimum. I'd consider selling all those separately a rip-off.

Hell, we might even be able to bug PalmSource into porting the Palm OS. That, a computer adapter, and enough rewritable memory on the cart ought to make the DS a drop in replacement for a palm PDA. They both use ARM CPUs, so it shouldn't be hard at all. Nintendo might need some kind of assurances that it couldn't be used to pirate games, but that shouldn't be too hard to provide (I hope - like if the cart's Palm OS was non-upgradeable and non-erasable). Nintendo may not like that they do not receive royalties for software downloaded, but it would maximize sales of the Palm OS cart.

And if you consider a good scientific calculator, email reader, etc being sold separately a ripoff, you should look at the software package of the Zire some time - it doesn't have most of these things.

Another thing that isn't included with Palms that I'd like to see is some sort of financial software. For examples of productivity software sold by itself on Palms, look here.

Besides, surveys show that users don't want multi function devices and are willing to carry around three different devices. Cellphone, PDA, Gameboy/DS. So this feature wouldn't sell too well.

What surveys? Last I checked, the PDA market was pretty cutthroat because cell phones were replacing them; hence, PDAs with cell phone capabilities. If someone can use a Nintendo DS as a PDA that is every bit is functional as other PDAs, and then some, with the game library to boot, you bet they'd go for a PDA "game pak" over buying a PDA and may even dump their PDA for the GBDS in order to save room in their pockets.

BlackGriffen

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2004, 07:07:20 AM »
That's all wishful thinking, and great at it, but I don't think that Palm would want to do that.  That'd be like Sony wanting to release an adapter for their memory sticks.  Palm makes their own PDAs (I think) and them selling it on another would loose some of their share.  

Don't get me wrong, I would love the HELL out of that, but I don't see it financially worthwhile.

The thing I would REALLY love to see would just be some form of Photoshop or art program that I could use during boring PolySci lectures.  But that's what a pen and paper are for.  Plus, I don't think my Studio III teachers would like me to submit sketches in that.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2004, 09:17:33 AM »
Newsflash: Palm split itself into two different companies - one to handle PalmOS, the other to sell hardware. Even before that, though, other manufacturers, like Sony, were using PalmOS so that Palm could compete with Microsoft's Windows CE.

BlackGriffen

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2004, 08:28:09 PM »
I think it would be cool if Nintendo released a cart that would allow you to play expecially made flash/java/whatever games from a   network (presumably the internet.) All you need to do is input a valid URL when you boot the DS. The DS would download the game from whatever network it is connected to, then you could play it. Maybe the carts could even save smaller games or the compulsary code needed to convert the input.

I think it would be possible with Nintendo to release code that would synchronise DS controls with mouse/keyboard input. Then home brew developers could upload their games somewhere, in full knowledge that their audience will be much larger than folk at home with emulators.  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2004, 03:22:26 AM »
I want a new Digital Camera (i.e.: Game Boy Camera 2)
And a TV Tuner - with A/V jacks to connect stuff into it.

And a waffle iron..
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2004, 09:20:46 AM »
A DS printer, a radar to find fish, an mp3 player, a digital camera (you know how awesome that would be, instant photoshopping on DS), and an voice recorder recorder, like a class companion.  I could use one in college right now, that way I could record classes and take notes on certain things.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2004, 09:57:58 AM »
(you know how awesome that would be, instant photoshopping on DS)

Using PS without a pressure sensitive tablet? Urk...

Offline Cleon_I

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2004, 09:33:46 PM »
Even better than a DS printer would be the ability to upload your picture to a website somewhere, then you can either get friends to look at it with a DS or a web browser, and you can print it out using your computer's printer.