Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Coming to Switch maybe someday?  (Read 3103 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Apparently this game had an amazon listing at some point for Switch so let's talk about it. I gave my true thoughts minus the usual hyperbole I throw at this game and they are as follows:

Skyward Sword is the only 3D Zelda left that hasn't been remade already outside of BOTW and the Switch's joycons can accommodate that game's bizarre fascination with motion controls. Even as someone who despises that game with a passion, it does seem appropriate to remake it now.

Plus, this way more people will see how shitty that game was and it will have a lower barrier of entry since presumably this time it won't need an extra accessory like motion plus to play it.

What do you think? I for one am happy to have any opportunity to dunk on that game and I can't wait to see new players discover how shitty that game really is.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Coming to Switch maybe someday?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 05:41:02 PM »
I wonder if there's a similar plan for Zelda's 35th as there allegedly was for Mario's 35th.  Or if maybe this is just in the works to help fill gaps in the schedule.

Anyway, if they do remake it, I'm not sure how much they can fix the issues with it without overhauling so much of it.  Unlike with WW where some of the biggest complaints were effectively dealt with for the remake (sailing, triforce hunt).
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 10:25:01 PM »
Anyway, if they do remake it, I'm not sure how much they can fix the issues with it without overhauling so much of it.

The most consistently agreed issue with Skyward Sword was Fi's constant handholding and that's very easy to fix.  All they have to do is disable her so that she doesn't bother the player anymore during gameplay and that right there would be a huge positive across the board.

There's also several ways to streamline the game better.  They'll probably give Link a fast travel so he can instantly teleport to any bird statue now, unlike in the original where you have to go to the sky and fly to the area you want to go before choosing which bird statue you can go to.  So basically if you're in the desert and need to go back to the forest, you can now automatically teleport back to the forest instead of all the extra hassle the original did.

Some of the fetchquest can also be shorten or even cut.  A good example would be right when you're close to the 4th dungeon, the water dragon makes you go back to the 1st dungeon to get some water.  Something like this wouldn't be too hard to cut since there's no major cutscenes attached to it or new item to gain.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 12:31:03 AM »
Anyway, if they do remake it, I'm not sure how much they can fix the issues with it without overhauling so much of it.
Besides what Luigi Dude mentioned:

1. The tutorial in the beginning should be significantly shortened though Nintendo didn’t do a lot to Twilight Princesseses’s tutorial so 🤷‍♀️.

2. The Silent Realm sections should be shorter and/or less punishing. It would be nice if Link could eventually fight the guardians. I know that isn’t the point those stealth portions, but maybe it should be.

3. Nintendo could stand to change up The Imprisoned fights.

4. Collecting the Song of the Hero should be cut entirely. It was awful.

I blocked a lot of Skyward Sword out of my brain. I recall feeling like it had a lot of unnecessary padding. Cut the fat, and it’ll be a much better game.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 06:48:23 PM »
If I ever get the ability to livestream, which is something I'd like to do someday, Skyward Sword is at the top of my list of games I wanna stream.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 02:22:10 AM »

The most consistently agreed issue with Skyward Sword was Fi's constant handholding and that's very easy to fix.  All they have to do is disable her so that she doesn't bother the player anymore during gameplay and that right there would be a huge positive across the board.

There's also several ways to streamline the game better.  They'll probably give Link a fast travel so he can instantly teleport to any bird statue now, unlike in the original where you have to go to the sky and fly to the area you want to go before choosing which bird statue you can go to.  So basically if you're in the desert and need to go back to the forest, you can now automatically teleport back to the forest instead of all the extra hassle the original did.

Some of the fetchquest can also be shorten or even cut.  A good example would be right when you're close to the 4th dungeon, the water dragon makes you go back to the 1st dungeon to get some water.  Something like this wouldn't be too hard to cut since there's no major cutscenes attached to it or new item to gain.

Besides what Luigi Dude mentioned:

1. The tutorial in the beginning should be significantly shortened though Nintendo didn’t do a lot to Twilight Princesseses’s tutorial so 🤷‍♀️.

2. The Silent Realm sections should be shorter and/or less punishing. It would be nice if Link could eventually fight the guardians. I know that isn’t the point those stealth portions, but maybe it should be.

3. Nintendo could stand to change up The Imprisoned fights.

4. Collecting the Song of the Hero should be cut entirely. It was awful.

I blocked a lot of Skyward Sword out of my brain. I recall feeling like it had a lot of unnecessary padding. Cut the fat, and it’ll be a much better game.

Both of you make really good points.  I guess I was remembering the main criticisms being about how the game had only a few, unconnected areas that it asked you to re-explore.  Like Adrock, I think I've blocked a lot of that game out.  I had completely forgotten how annoying Fi was.  I worry cutting those fetch quests would severely reduce the game's runtime, which could actually be a plus come to think of it.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 04:03:34 AM »
Skyward Sword was one of a long line of Zelda's that I played but didn't complete. I was a fan of the controls and the level/environment puzzles and their design, and I liked it better than Twilight Princess. But Skyward Sword did almost nothing to dissuade me that Zelda at the time was WAY too rigid narratively. I think I found that game's beginning SUPER EXTRA tedious.

To be honest currently thinking of the game doesn't stir up much if any strong emotions from me and with that the way it is I probably would wait until a great sale or even much later in the Switch's life to pick it up.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 11:31:24 AM »
I was thinking about how annoying Fi was.  And I'm not a fan of motion controls.  And then I remembered the guardians... and the repeated imprisoned battles... and the flying mini-games I actually had to get my brother to complete for me because I couldn't work the controls... and the fact that the overworld is split into clearly defined levels instead of a connected world.  ****!  Do I even like this game?!

Oddly enough I still did enjoy it which goes to show how good the Zelda formula is and how talented Nintendo's devs are at designing dungeons.  But in the wake of Breath of the Wild, Skyward Sword looks like the Zelda tipping point where it was clear that an overhaul was needed.  Is there much demand for it to be remade?  I figure it's too new still.  I don't think it can be remade without motion controls and we need time before there is nostalgia for that.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 01:28:19 PM »
Well, we're talking about a Wii game here, so there's something to be said about having that art style in HD, at the very least.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 02:15:54 PM »
Is there much demand for it to be remade?  I figure it's too new still.  I don't think it can be remade without motion controls and we need time before there is nostalgia for that.

Wind Waker HD came out in 2013, over 10 years from the original release.  Twilight Princess came out early 2016, almost 10 years from the original.  This game comes out in 2021, it'll be about the same amount of time between the original release that Twilight Princess HD was.  So it's within a pretty similar timeframe to get remade that the two Gamecube Zelda's did.

I'd also imagine it's the perfect time to release Skyward Sword HD right before Breath of the Wild 2.  People will probably be more receptive to play a more linear dungeon focused Zelda, when they know the newest non-linear exploration focused title is right around the corner.  The original version of Skyward Sword was the end result of where Nintendo had started taking the series with Wind Waker.  People who didn't like the fact the series kept getting more linear and puzzle focused with each new installment had a reason to be burned out.  Now that Breath of the Wild has revitalized the series and brought in millions of new fans, people might be more open to what Skyward Sword was trying to do.

Also keep in mind Nintendo knows what the issue's with Skyward Sword are pretty well, so I imagine a remake will probably have more work put into it then Wind Waker and Twilight Princess did.  The previous most controversial 3D Zelda was Majora's Mask, and they put a lot more work in the 3DS remake of that game then Ocarina of Time 3D since Ocarina of Time was already the much more beloved game.  The 3DS version of Majora's Mask is much more player friendly then the original N64 and fixed a lot of the issues people had with the 3-Day time system of the original as well as a lot of other changes to make the game less frustrating.  I suspect a Skyward Sword HD will see similar levels of reworks to make it a more accessible game this time, especially in a post Breath of the Wild world.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 06:29:05 PM »
Skyward Sword is the only 3D Zelda I have yet to play. And I will play it before this year is over. I swear it. I've gotten a big desire to finally get into the game. But I'll still play it with my Wii copy whether it comes to Switch at all.

After playing it, I'll finally be able to say if I'm thumbs up, thumbs down or meh on this game and know which I faction I belong to. Once I've got my identity figured out, I can't wait to jump in all the past forum threads and knife the other posters with a different opinion when I cut them down by my deadly wit and acid tongue! Ah, to be an internet user with a hardened opinion. It has always been a dream of mine and now I'm close to reaching that goal.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 09:19:46 PM »
Once I've got my identity figured out, I can't wait to jump in all the past forum threads and knife the other posters with a different opinion when I cut them down by my deadly wit and acid tongue! Ah, to be an internet user with a hardened opinion. It has always been a dream of mine and now I'm close to reaching that goal.

I like the cut of your jib.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 06:18:15 PM »
Once I've got my identity figured out, I can't wait to jump in all the past forum threads and knife the other posters with a different opinion when I cut them down by my deadly wit and acid tongue! Ah, to be an internet user with a hardened opinion. It has always been a dream of mine and now I'm close to reaching that goal.

I like the cut of your jib.

You say that now but, if I don't like your opinion on something later on, you may be singing a different tune after I rip you a new one for your erroneous take on the matter.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Morningshark

• Xander Morningstar Animation Junkie
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 02:23:48 AM »
After seeing this in the news, I decided to revisit it. I beat it back around Christmas of 2015. Some enhancements I would suggest / hope they would address.

Nitpicks:
Remove the animation where Link picks up an item and you see where it is in the inventory upon every new play session.

When dropping to the surface, show the actual map where each bird statue is, because I rarely remember the specific spot without seeing the map. The painting is pretty, but it would be nice to be able to zoom into it.

Add the ability to go from area on the surface to another area without having to jump from.

There aren't that many quests, but a small quest log would be handy.

Options to filter how much Fi talks with Link about gameplay content vs. story content

Content changes:
(These change the fundamental game and may work better in a direct sequel so they might not even be worth mentioning but ah well)

Button controls. I don't know how they'd do it for combat, but a lot of things like flying, swimming, using the beetle or really any of the items, would be great. I speak for accessibility more than anything. Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee having required motion controls when docked was very disappointing to read about. Wii MotionPlus worked great, albeit not perfectly. It still works great. But the option would be great.

More content in the Sky. Add some puffy clouds for Link to shwoomp through, or some weather effects, or rainbows, or lightening you have to avoid. Maybe a few islands that the Skyloft people haven't cultivated yet that you can explore and find specific crafting materials and / or insects. Maybe there are some characters like the Rito who also live in the sky that you can find later in the game like in a segmented area. Or maybe it's just a few and they are endangered and you have to bring them crafting items to help rebuild their home like with Tarrey Town. Lots and lots of ideas here. But more than anything....

Let me fly at night

Make all three segments of learning the Goddess Song (that notorious padding after the Fire Sanctuary) optional. That part really kills the enjoyment. You'd have to rework / change the pacing of the story a bit.

Very new content that I don't expect but hey it'd be cool:
Groose Tower Defense side game?

Impa / Zelda side mode where you get to experience Zelda's experience on the surface running from Ghirahim rather then watching it in the credits.

Configure all three Imprisoned fights into one fight were each stage has the Imprisoned change.

Add some upgrade options to the Stamina Meter...this could maybe tie into some of my ideas on beefing up the Sk
Xander Morningstar
NWR Associate Editor and Video Producer
http://www.xandermorningstar.com