Author Topic: Has anyone played....?  (Read 6696 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Has anyone played....?
« on: January 24, 2023, 06:24:31 PM »
...Immortals Fenyx Rising?

I see it on sale cheap on the eShop. At the time of release, it just seemed like a hollow attempt to copy BotW and try to cash in on mimicking its style. Like the Carnival Games to Nintendo's Wii Sports. Yet, now I'm at the point where I'd be willing to play something that's similar to BotW since it has been years since I've last played that title. Of course, with Tears of the Kingdom soon to come in a few months, it would seem more prudent to just wait for that. Any comments from other users here about the game?

...Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin?

I've had the first game on my Wish List since around 2019 when it came up in discussions with pokepal148 and Mop it up and both of them giving the 3DS high praise. However, by that point in time, it was pretty hard to find a physical copy of the game and I've still yet to do so or play this. So, now I wonder if I should just forget about that and try this game out instead. It's getting pretty heavily discounted on the eShop. Is it better, worse or equal to the first? What's the word on Wings of Ruin?

...NEO: The World Ends With You?

Again, it is a game where I'd like to get around to playing the first one. In fact, I actually did start it once years ago like 2012 and got through the first chapter / opening. I remember feeling like the dual screen battle screen battle system wasn't quite gelling or clicking with me yet and I wanted to get the geography of locations a bit more firm in my mind but then I ended up setting it aside and never getting back to it. TWEWY was always regarded as a top DS game but this long asked for sequel seems to have come and gone pretty quietly. Anyone have anything to chime in about it? I imagine the battle system would be different for this game compared to the first. Is it better or worse?

As for this thread, I thought I'd try and take a page out of Discord and see if we can't blend some of that energy with these forums. In that sense, much like popping into the General chat and asking if anyone there has played a game or wanting to get some information on a title, users can hop into this thread and post their query. Responses may not be as fast but feel free to post anytime if you see something in this thread and want to comment on it. Much easier to bump threads here than on Discord.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 11:19:46 AM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone played....?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 11:38:21 PM »

I see it on sale cheap on the eShop. At the time of release, it just seemed like a hollow attempt to copy BotW and try to cash in on mimicking its style. Like the Carnival Games to Nintendo's Wii Sports. Yet, now I'm at the point where I'd be willing to play something that's similar to BotW since it has been years since I've last played that title. Of course, with Tears of the Kingdom soon to come in a few months, it would seem more prudent to just wait for that. Any comments from other users here about the game?

...NEO: The World Ends With You?

Again, it is a game where I'd like to get around to playing the first one. In fact, I actually did start it once years ago like 2012 and got through the first chapter / opening. I remember feeling like the dual screen battle screen battle system was quite gelling or clicking with me yet and I wanted to get the geography of locations a bit more firm in my mind but then I ended up setting it aside and never getting back to it. TWEWY was always regarded as a top DS game but this long asked for sequel seems to have come and gone pretty quietly. Anyone have anything to chime in about it? I imagine the battle system would be different for this game compared to the first. Is it better or worse?

I've played both Immortals Fenyx Rising and Neo: The World Ends With You. Immortals is excellent. I came very close to 100%ing it just for fun. I found it generally very fast-paced, and the dungeons could be devilishly clever with their puzzles. Frankly, I think it's a better game than Breath of the Wild, but I don't generally like Breath of the Wild (mainly due to the lack of dungeons and all the breakable weapons that exist just to mock your investment in the game). To sum it up, Immortals FR is Breath of the Wild without the bullshit. That said, your enjoyment of the game is going to depend on how much you can stomach the game's running commentary from Zeus and Prometheus, because there's a lot of it and it's kinda obnoxious.

I bailed on Neo: TWEWY about halfway through the game, as I found it incredibly tedious as it went along. The scenarios just become endless bouts of the same repetitive combat. I got to my 2nd day of Scramble Slam (by far the worst activity of the game, with a scoring system that makes absolutely no sense and actively punishes you for being good at the game), and I just couldn't stand one more second of that game. Maybe I'll go back to it at some point, but IMO it took the non-touchscreen-related annoyances of the 1st game and just dialed them up to 11.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 07:51:49 AM »

I see it on sale cheap on the eShop.

Around the winter holidays, the physical version was on sale for $15 in the US. I almost picked up as an impulse buy. I do remember hearing about some performance issues on Switch. Broodwars, did you play this on Switch or Playstation?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 12:40:27 PM »
Around the winter holidays, the physical version was on sale for $15 in the US. I almost picked up as an impulse buy. I do remember hearing about some performance issues on Switch. Broodwars, did you play this on Switch or Playstation?

I played the PlayStation 5 version, which runs at 60 FPS. From the looks of things, the Switch version is capped at 30 and struggles to hit that at times, so buyer beware on that version but let's be frank: if you play Switch games at this point you should be used to performance issues.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 12:44:37 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 12:17:11 PM »
That said, your enjoyment of the game is going to depend on how much you can stomach the game's running commentary from Zeus and Prometheus, because there's a lot of it and it's kinda obnoxious.

When the game was on sale for a ridiculously low price last year I tried out the demo.  A game getting compared to Breath of the Wild?  Hell yeah, I'll try that out!  But that commentary turned me off almost immediately.  Like I still completed the demo and enjoyed it but the whole tone of the game was such that I didn't want to play the whole thing.  It's all self-referential wink-wink ****.  Like to me a BotW inspired game that uses Greek mythology as its theme seems like a winner being done completely straight, so why make it goofy?  The fact that the game is almost always on sale makes me wonder if it underperformed because of that design decision, but then it's a Ubisoft game and being in perpetually mark-down is their status quo.

I have Neo: The World Ends with You but I've only played the demo.  The game was at a very low price, like $25 CAD for a physical copy, and I figured if I enjoyed the demo it would be worth getting so I bought it.  But I've got a big backlog so I haven't gotten into it yet.  I figure I'll still get my money's worth even if I lose interest before beating it.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 06:18:06 PM »
Fenyx Rising is very good, but I played it on Series X, so I dont know what the Switch version is like

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 03:46:37 PM »
The only one I can comment on is Monster Hunter Stories 2.

The game is pretty similar to its predecessor and features a largely new cast of characters including a new protag, and in different locations, so the story has little relation to the original. Your character still has Navirou as a helper, the same helper from the first game, and he's mainly the one who references those events. Some nods may go over your head but there's not really anything you need to know pertinent to the story so you shouldn't have any trouble jumping straight into 2.

I would say that the game is better but also feels pretty samey to the original so it's a little disappointing as a sequel. If you never played the original though then this won't matter to you. There are a few improvements here and there, a couple more wrinkles to battles to mix things up and building monsters is a little less convoluted, and a few other odds and ends. Overall the flow of exploration, combat, and monster collecting is very similar to the first game. Unless you think you'd really like this game and would want as much of it as you could possibly get, there's little reason to play the first over its sequel.

While playing the regular Monster Hunter games is certainly no requirement, you may not appreciate the game as much as someone familiar with the franchise and monsters.