Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674374 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto
« Reply #2875 on: June 16, 2022, 05:12:26 AM »
And Mark Jackson continues to be intolerable on commentary. "Imma call him Klay. Imma call him Klay." Yeah, because that's his name. What are you talking about?

That was so weirdly annoying. It's like he just desperately needs to throw in AAVE sayings into the broadcast for no fucking reason. "Mama named him Klay, I'm gonna call him Klay". He doesn't have a fucking nickname. No one is calling him anything other than Klay. He doesn't go by "K Daddy" or "K-Popz" or anything other than "Klay".
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: June 16, 2022, 11:31:50 PM »

Thanks, Warriors. It got a little dicey with some of those second half Celtics runs. Ultimately, the Celtics couldn't overcome giving up a 21-0 run in the first half though.

Curry finally getting his Finals MVP.

No Game 6 Klay was disappointing. He does not deserve to go by "K Daddy".

Imagine spending thousands of dollars on tickets and watching the home team fall behind 22 points. Yikes.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 11:50:30 PM by Adrock »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2877 on: June 17, 2022, 02:17:43 AM »
Boston just couldn't keep up. And those turnovers are deadly against the Warriors.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: June 17, 2022, 11:07:14 AM »
Let's go back a week and look at the confidence....

I assume there was no Draymond Green Show last night, since they were likely out celebrating in Boston. Glad they wrapped in 6, because I would've hated to see a Game 7 where things didn't go our way.

You see how we had to outplay the calls by the refs early on with 2 flops called in a row. Same as last game where the whistles were blown far more early on against the Dubs than for the dubs. I think we took our first Free throws late in the 2nd Qtr. and 2-3 of our players already had 2+ fouls each.

But good win. Good effort from the Celts. They need a bigger rotation next time around. Tatum was not only gassed, but likely nursing a bad shoulder all series. Brown was clearly their FMVP in that losing effort.

Glad Steph not only FINALLY got his FMVP, but won it decidedly.
Him not winning it was questionable in 2015-2016 (Iggy) and again in 2018-2019 (Durant)

It was also good to see Iggy get to step on the court to finish out the game as one of the 4 for all 4 rings. And LOL at Steph breaking down and crying on the court before the game was even over. Keep it together man. I know it's one of if not the biggest moment of your Career so far, so no one holding anything against you, but bro could barely talk and eyes were all watery and bloodshot.

Let's see if we can run it back one more time and get a 2nd B2B since it looks like we going deeper into the Luxury Tax to keep as many as we can, starting with Wiggins and GP2

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: June 17, 2022, 11:53:57 PM »
So, the Jazz decided to finally unveil their new uniforms for next season and...yeah, they're mostly awful. They were also mostly leaked months ago, and we thought they looked too terrible to be real:

Yep...just take it all in. Our new team colors are white, black, and yellow. How generic. But at least we have the 90s throwback jersey that is the best design the Jazz ever had during its best run of basketball.

It seems that Jazz management has heard our utter disdain, because alongside these new jerseys they also declared "PURPLE IS BACK!" and announced these 2 jerseys for the season AFTER next:

Gotta say, I'll always be partial to the 90s throwback design, but I'm still digging that all-purple redesign. I've argued for years that the Jazz really should make the Mountains their official icon (instead of the generic music note). It's Utah. The mountains MEAN something to Utah, far more than the music note does.

Just saw this damning article criticizing the new jerseys as the embodiment of what this team is right now, too.

https://saltcityhoops.com/jazz-jersey-release-a-perfect-metaphor-for-a-team-without-identity/
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2880 on: June 20, 2022, 05:13:11 PM »
Glad Steph not only FINALLY got his FMVP, but won it decidedly.
Him not winning it was questionable in 2015-2016 (Iggy) and again in 2018-2019 (Durant)

I don't know about the decidedly part. There wasn't a player you could say was consistently better than him on the Warriors, but I think the series as a whole was one on the backs of the support players. The second half +/- favors Wiggins for those last three games, and I would say Wiggins only won it for the team in one of those instances.

Edit: Those yellow and black Jazz jerseys are hideous. The white one at least has the right design cues.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 05:15:58 PM by nickmitch »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: June 23, 2022, 01:04:37 AM »
It was decidedly.

Wiggins only out-performed Curry during game 4 win, but Curry was still providing that gravity that gets everyone else looks, regardless of him actually scoring points or not.
Curry also had a crazy stats tho, and even good defensive performance.
Something like 134 points in 143 minutes played. Shooting splits of something like 48/38/89

No team had a better player on the floor than Curry, and Wiggins was 2 steps down in considerations for that FMVP trophy. But if they gave a DPOF Award, Wiggins would've gotten that for sure.

and Yes, those Black and Yellow Jazz jerseys look like somethin you make in the "Create A Jersey" mode with extremely limited free assets.

But also wanted to add that I was kinda sad I missed that Warriors Parade on Monday. I was out of town, so couldn't make it. Dubs seem like they were getting real loose out there.

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: June 23, 2022, 07:33:59 PM »
Well, it's Draft Day and we're still stuck with Gobert, so unless they announce a trade on live TV, I guess we're stuck with him for a while.

In light of the awful new jerseys, thought I'd post these fan jersey designs I saw on Twitter. These particular designs did something I really like, and I wish the team would officially do it too: incorporate the mountain into the music note design, merging the 2 icons the Jazz have used over the years. I don't know if you'd ever see it from a distance, but it finally makes the note click for me in a way it never has.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: June 24, 2022, 05:54:10 PM »
Those are soooo much better than the official one.

Whoever got paid to design those practice jerseys should be ashamed, fired, and replaced by whomever did these fan designs. LOL

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: June 24, 2022, 07:21:51 PM »
Those are soooo much better than the official one.

Whoever got paid to design those practice jerseys should be ashamed, fired, and replaced by whomever did these fan designs. LOL

Speaking of the practice jerseys, the same fan also made the black jersey much better with the simple addition of the mountain.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: June 25, 2022, 12:22:16 AM »
Small change. BIG difference.

someone submit it before it's too late for them to change their minds.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2886 on: June 27, 2022, 05:16:59 PM »
Kendrick Perkins cut a promo on Draymond Green and deleted it.

link

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: June 28, 2022, 08:04:06 PM »
Well, the Jazz have their head coach...I guess: Celtics Assistant Coach Will Hardy.

https://www.slcdunk.com/latest-utah-jazz-news-recent/2022/6/28/23186928/utah-jazz-hire-will-hardy-as-new-head-coach-nba-free-agency-boston-celtics

Well, I guess you can't go too wrong with a Popovitch protege, but I have no idea what to make of this guy.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: June 28, 2022, 08:58:52 PM »
They apparently also brought on Fizzdale

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2889 on: June 29, 2022, 08:02:34 PM »
They apparently also brought on Fizzdale
Yep for the assistant GM spot.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: June 30, 2022, 04:57:19 PM »
NBA is the sports entertainment that keeps on giving....

After the whole Nets debacle ending with Kyrie just taking his player option, KD turns around and basically says "**** Kyrie and/or **** The Nets" by immediately requesting a Trade.

preferred "Next Chapter" destination..... #1 regular season record in the West (The Suns) or the #1 regular season record in the East (The Heat).

that sounds so familiar.... reminds me of when he signed with the Best Regular Season Record in NBA History Warriors.

The memes, jokes and the negative narrative around all of this is just gonna be so damn entertaining.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: July 01, 2022, 04:51:14 PM »
Sources: Utah Jazz trading star center Rudy Gobert to Minnesota Timberwolves for four first-round picks

Bye Rudy.

This feels like more of Danny Ainge hoarding draft picks only to not make any major moves then say afterward, "Oh yeah, we could have had [Player X] or [Player Y] if we really wanted."

Was it merely a coincidence that the Celtics were back in the Finals the literally season after Ainge "retired"?

From the Jazz’seses side, it was high time for a major roster shakeup. The roster was simply not working as (previously) constructed. As expected, they kept Mitchell who still has upside while Gobert is who he is at 30. And Beasley is solid. I don't know anything about Vanderbilt, Bolmaro, or Kessler. They're all young so that's a plus if the Jazz are committing to a rebuild around Mitchell. Pat Bev, of course, trick y'all, man.

From the Timberwolves’ side, four first round picks (all unprotected except 2029) feels like an overpay. President of Basketball Operations Tim Connelly gave up a draft pick by even answering Ainge’s call. Why does anyone still trade with this guy?

preferred "Next Chapter" destination..... #1 regular season record in the West (The Suns) or the #1 regular season record in the East (The Heat).

that sounds so familiar.... reminds me of when he signed with the Best Regular Season Record in NBA History Warriors.
Ehh, I get the sentiment, but the situations aren't even remotely the same. The Warriors signed Kevin Durant at the beginning of his prime as a free agent and only gave up the privilege of re-signing Harrison Barnes. Oh no.

The Suns or Heat would have to give up at least rotation players (though the Nets apparently want all-star level players which, LOL, good luck) and draft picks for post-Achilles-tear-but-still-pretty-excellent-Kevin-Durant.

Anyway, teams are just poaching Warriors' talent this free agency. Bye Payton, Porter, and true Finals MVP, Toscano-Anderson. It's OVER for you bitches!

It's as good a time as any to see what Moody, Kuminga, and Wiseman can become.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 05:45:56 PM by Adrock »

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: July 01, 2022, 06:21:56 PM »
Still doing my research on what we go out of this deal. I only heard about this just as I was leaving work, so I haven't had much time to read up on it.

This has been inevitable for a long time. I've always liked Rudy as a person and I've appreciated his defensive work, outside of the stunt that had us using a different name for this thread for a while. But he has no offensive game that isn't dunking the ball, he had no defensive ability outside the paint, and his salary was just fucking killing us. Plus, he and Donovan notoriously don't get along because both of them thought they were the leader of this team, and I'd argue neither of them were correct (I'd argue that was Joe Ingles, who is now a Milwaukee Buck).

I never in my wildest imagination thought the Jazz would not only trade Rudy within the Conference, but also within the Division. From all accounts, we got quality players in Beverly and Vanderbilt that will help address our longstanding perimeter defense issue, and we got trade fodder in the form of all those picks and the additional players. Everything I've seen so far says this is a phenomenal trade.

And make no mistake: the Jazz are not done. We just spent yesterday clearing out cap space and getting an additional 1st round draft pick from the Nets in exchange for Royce O'Neal. We pretty much gutted our bench yesterday. We SOMEHOW ended up under the salary cap on the last day of the "season", so we avoided the luxury tax. I'll be shocked if we end this summer with more than maybe 2 of the 5 1st round picks we're currently now sitting on.

There's more to come, and it will likely involve Conley and/or Bogdanovic. I suspect we may have trades in the works with the Kings and the Raptors. The Jazz REALLY wanted Harrison Barnes last season, but just couldn't make it happen.

For the life of me, I don't understand why every NBA team thought we would trade Donovan. He isn't and never was on the table. Even the Lakers apparently tried to get him.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 06:29:56 PM by broodwars »

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: July 01, 2022, 07:00:16 PM »
OK, there's a new rumored trade now this evening I thought was worth spinning out into a new post: for some bizarre reason, the Suns want Kevin Durant. Yeah, I know...inexplicable, right? But they need to clear salary cap to make it happen, so the plan is to free it up by trading Deandre Ayton to the Jazz in exchange for Patrick Beverly & one of those Minnesota 1st round picks we just got.

So chances are good that if we see one of these moves, we'll probably see the other.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: July 02, 2022, 04:20:17 PM »

Ehh, I get the sentiment, but the situations aren't even remotely the same. The Warriors signed Kevin Durant at the beginning of his prime as a free agent and only gave up the privilege of re-signing Harrison Barnes. Oh no.

The Suns or Heat would have to give up at least rotation players (though the Nets apparently want all-star level players which, LOL, good luck) and draft picks for post-Achilles-tear-but-still-pretty-excellent-Kevin-Durant.

Anyway, teams are just poaching Warriors' talent this free agency. Bye Payton, Porter, and true Finals MVP, Toscano-Anderson. It's OVER for you bitches!

It's as good a time as any to see what Moody, Kuminga, and Wiseman can become.

I was more speaking about how Durant came to a #1 seed when he came to the Warriors, and now that he wants out of Brooklyn, request the #1 seed in both the East and West conferences.
Always taking what seems like the hardest route.... Even though those teams would have to give up something likely significant, where the Warriors did not.

I'm mostly just looking forward to the slander.
Seen it mentioned that LeBron went to teams that weren't having success, and took them to "Ringz Erneh".... Every single team he was on got a ring from Lebron. Durant's Legacy always being in question....

And I'm gonna miss GPII.... but I'm happy he got paid.
3yrs $28M in Portland.

D. Lee got less than JTA and i find that kinda funny, but good luck to them both on their new journeys elsewhere.

Porter getting an offer elsewhere was a given... And we can't keep everyone, especially with new talent incoming, and talent on the bench already itching to get that playtime.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 04:24:34 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2895 on: July 13, 2022, 11:55:28 PM »
Day 37 (really, only like two weeks) of will-Kyrie-Irving-get-traded-to-the-Lakers. Reddit and YouTube are a cesspool of bad takes and worse trade proposals. Why would the Lakers trade TWO first round picks for Irving? The Nets have no leverage. Homeboy spent half a season not playing basketball and like the last five years generally being a weirdo. The Nets can either take a protected FRP or watch Irving walk next summer for nothing along with whatever BS he pulls before then.

From the Lakers' perspective, Kyrie Irving is not your savior, y'all. Trading Westbrook for Irving is essentially trading one set of problems for different set of problems. Irving is clearly the better fit and player in 2022... when he plays. Are you getting that guy? He hasn't been that guy since he asked out of Cleveland. Say what you will about Westbrook. At least he plays and leaves it all on the court (along with the houses he builds out there).

In other news...

Sources: Utah Jazz now willing to listen to Donovan Mitchell trade scenarios

How are you coping, broodwars?

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: July 14, 2022, 12:37:31 AM »

Sources: Utah Jazz now willing to listen to Donovan Mitchell trade scenarios

How are you coping, broodwars?

Fine, actually, because it's not going to go anywhere. It's just more of the National Media trying to will Donovan to a large market team by manufacturing stories about his unhappiness on the team or the team's willingness to get rid of him, which they've been doing for weeks. He's not going anywhere, though I would have been shocked if the Jazz weren't at least entertaining offers.

And let's just say such a deal did go through and he left the team. I've been through worse as a Jazz fan. Deron Williams forced Jerry Sloan into retirement on his way out. Gordon Hayward's exit from the Jazz was notoriously bitter. The Jazz losing big name talent and being a joke for a few years would be nothing new. It's not like Jazz games are easy to catch here on the East Coast these days anyway.

On a side note, I guess Kevin Durant isn't as in-demand as he seems to think he is, because you'd think the trade to bring the ring-chaser to his new temporary home would be done by now. The entire league seems to be waiting to see what comes of that before any more big trades go through.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 12:40:52 AM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: July 14, 2022, 10:30:41 AM »
and now they trying the play the KD back to the Warriors as a high possibility.

I know trading away our future for what could be another ring or 2 in the next 2 years sounds great, and I'm hearing it would ease that luxury tax and give Klay & Dray their retirement bonus contracts, but we'd have to give up a chance to run it back as a full squad all year, and some good youth on our team.

There's a chance Steph, Klay, Dray, and Durant are all done by the time Durant's contract is over. Not sure what it looks like. But do we want to give up some combination of Wiggins, Poole, Wiseman, Kuminga, and future picks to grab Durant for the next 4 years? Assuming he even wants to come back? and won't request to leave once things don't go his way and realizing once again that "it's not his team"? Does Curry take another "co-pilot" arrangement to make Durant happy again?

Online broodwars

• View Profile

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: July 14, 2022, 09:20:29 PM »
Well, so much for the Jazz possibly trading for Deandre Ayton. -_-

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34242899/phoenix-suns-deandre-ayton-signing-4-year-131m-maximum-contract-offer-sheet-indiana-pacers-agents-say

And the Suns matched it, so they may do a Sign and Trade with the Pacers.... unless the Jazz want to or can even afford to hop in that money pit too?