Author Topic: Madden 2004 review  (Read 2381 times)

Offline thecubedcanuck

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Madden 2004 review
« on: August 26, 2003, 02:37:33 AM »
Being a huge football fan (bordering on insane) and not having bought a Madden game since the 2002 version, picking up the 2004 edition was a no brainer. I have now had the game since its release here in the great white north and have decided to share my feelings on it.

WHATS NEW

There are plenty of new features available in the 2004 version that I have not a had a chance to become fully familiar with, but in short the new features, especially the Playmaker control feature seem to really add a new demension of reality to an already realistic game of football. Another new feature is the OWNER mode, which I will come back to after a month or so playing with it.

GAMEPLAY 9/10

The gameplay is classic Madden with a few tweaks that have helped correct some of the flaws from the previous versions. It gives the game a great sence of realism without making it seem to arcade like. The contol scheme is also pretty standard for a Madden game, the only drawback is having to memorize far to many controller set-ups depending on what side of the ball you are on.

GRAPHICS 8/10

Although improved slightly from my last version, they are still a tad blocky and the player animations/movements could be a little smoother. The game also has some serious slowdowns when a lot of players are getting in on a tackle. The atmosphere the field graphics create is awesome however and make the game a joy to watch.

SOUND 6.5/10

Not much new here, pretty much your standard grunt and groan football score. Madden and Micheals are faily listenable thought they become far to repetative after about 10 games. As for the soundtrack it is far to rap based for my tastes.

VALUE 9/10

It looks like I cound enjoy this game for a long long time with all the options.

PROS
- very realistic game of football
- options and more options that will keep you playing for ages
- great new features
- classic Madden when all is said and done
- great AI

CONS
- graphics could be better
- terrible slowdowns
- HORRIBLE use of memory, needs a full 251 card for using all the features
- repetative commentary (Maddens especially)
- load times are rather long

Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Gup

• View Profile
RE:Madden 2004 review (Gamecube)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 04:09:10 AM »

Originally posted by: thecubedcanuck
CONS
- HORRIBLE use of memory, needs a full 251 card for using all the features

That's a lot of memory blocks.
"You can't act like your opinion on something is the way it IS."-m_c

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2003, 01:15:57 AM »
Well, i almost totally agree with cubedcanuck(for once  But heres my view anyway.

New Features:
Owner mode and franchise overall could take me through to next years version, without even playing an actual game.  Cant get enough of setting my beer prices and advertising budget.  Also, i made my own stadium and sold the naming rights!!  You can relocate or renevate your stadium as well. You can hire and fire all your coaches, not just your head coach.  The mini-camp feature from last season is now intergrated as part of the offseason menu.  You can choose what player you want to go through certain drills and improve certain areas (Agility, catching, strength)  You can only use a player once per offseason, which is good , because theres no cheap inflating of the ratings.  Its just kick ass.  I could go on for hours about this, but trust me, its great.   The playmaking controls are great for the offense, where you can direct a reciever which part of the field to run to while you are scrambling. Or direct a blocker in a certain direction, helping you bust out a big run.   On defense, its hit and miss, but still adds some new depth to playcalling.  I havent really done much of it on defense yet.

Memory-awful.  Thankfully, i was already using a full 251 for Allstar baseball, so i just erased it.(football over baseball any day)

Framerate is inconsistent.  Last years was smooth, what happened?  Overall, the graphics are better than last years version, but only slightly.  New animations for catching and tackling help spice things up.  Stadiums look very nice.

I don't mind the announcing.  It doesn't really hurt the game.  It can get repetitive, but i'm used to that with every sports game.  The music isn't good.  The rock songs are your garden variety 3 chord crap, along with metal rip-offs.  A couple are okay.  The rap songs are actually better, but not by much.  If i hear joe budden one more time...There is a song by The Roots that is good.  Overall, turn em off.  The sound effects are good, with taunts like 'you got nothing' being heard from the field, especially through surround sound.  Supports progressive scan and wide screen.

My only thought is, what are we going to have next season?  Draft picks getting arrested for DUI?  The realism is insane and it wouldn't surprise me.  When scouting a wide reciever, the scout said 'arrogant attitude that rubs some the wrong way'.  WOW.  

Madden 2004 is the best sports game out there.  If you are not into real football, then look elsewhere.  

Graphics:8.5/ slightly tweaked, could use some more motion capture, though
Sound:7 / Solid overall
Gameplay:9.5  /tight control, as always
Replay:10  /Go on for months without playing a game...thats some value
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
RE: Madden 2004 review (Gamecube)
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 07:41:09 AM »
well, I am still playing this game almost daily.  
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2003, 09:55:13 AM »
Me too.  Me and a few of my friends have a franchise going.  We're in the 12th year.  This game is worth getting every year.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates