Community Forums > General Chat

NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto

<< < (570/596) > >>

Adrock:

--- Quote from: broodwars on May 16, 2022, 12:56:14 AM ---Meanwhile, us Jazz fans are off in a corner, waiting for the time to finally come to blow up the team after season after season of pure mediocrity.
--- End quote ---
May I interest you in a gently used Russell Westbrook for Donovan Mitchell?

But seriously, what do you think the Jazz do? The end of Jazz vs. Mavericks Game 6 was wild. You can’t ask for a better final shot than Bogdanović wide open for three at home. After another early playoff exit, the Jazz have to consider trading Gobert AND Mitchell. If the site I looked at is accurate, the Jazz owe its 2022 first round pick to the Grizzlies and its next first round pick starting in 2024 is conditionally protected through 2026 (owed to the Thunder because of course it is). It behooves the Jazz to tank to keep that pick.

Personally, the Jazz keep Mitchell and try to build around him though he’d probably be better as a second option. Trading Gobert choke-slams the Jazz’s entire defense.

--- Quote from: BeautifulShy on May 16, 2022, 01:40:07 AM ---Coming out of the East I have the Heat winning because of Butler but also the Celtics can not get the 18th now that the Lakers have tied them again at 17.    Heat in 6.

West I have the Warriors for their team play.  I do like Luka and the Mavs and because Kidd is a former Lakers coach and Bullock is a former Lakers player but I think it will be a 7 game series.
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I can’t have the Celtics winning anything so I hope the Heat advance. Did you see the game last night? The Heat struggled more than expected considering the Celtics were missing both Horford and Smart.

In the West, I like Luka but don’t want anything good to happen to Mark Cuban. I want the Mavericks to perpetually lose through Luka’s next contract so he gets fed up and leaves. Since both the Sixers and Bucks failed, I want the Warriors to win as it may be Steph and Klay’s last best chance to win another title.

broodwars:

--- Quote from: Adrock on May 18, 2022, 10:34:05 AM ---
--- Quote from: broodwars on May 16, 2022, 12:56:14 AM ---Meanwhile, us Jazz fans are off in a corner, waiting for the time to finally come to blow up the team after season after season of pure mediocrity.
--- End quote ---
May I interest you in a gently used Russell Westbrook for Donovan Mitchell?

But seriously, what do you think the Jazz do? The end of Jazz vs. Mavericks Game 6 was wild. You can’t ask for a better final shot than Bogdanović wide open for three at home. After another early playoff exit, the Jazz have to consider trading Gobert AND Mitchell. If the site I looked at is accurate, the Jazz owe its 2022 first round pick to the Grizzlies and its next first round pick starting in 2024 is conditionally protected through 2026 (owed to the Thunder because of course it is). It behooves the Jazz to tank to keep that pick.

Personally, the Jazz keep Mitchell and try to build around him though he’d probably be better as a second option. Trading Gobert choke-slams the Jazz’s entire defense.

--- End quote ---

I think Gobert's time with the Jazz is done. He's toxic on the court, he's toxic in the locker room, and playoff teams have figured out how to get around his basic-ass defensive strategy for years. Because of his contract, he'd be difficult to get rid of, but it needs to happen.

I also think Quin Snyder's time with the Jazz is done. The guy doesn't play his young and developing talent, and years of mediocrity have shown that this team just does not listen to him. He's a good coach, but it's time for a change. To what? I don't know.

If I'm the Jazz, I find a way to keep Mitchell; Clarkson; Bogdanovic; Danuel House; Trent Forrest; and Jared Butler. Everyone else is expendable. Blow up the team, keep Donovan happy by rebuilding the team around him (whereas it's currently built around Gobert) and getting rid of Gobert (it's an open secret that Donovan and Rudy don't get along), and be willing to lose for a few seasons trading and developing talent. Take another swing at a deep playoff run when we have a more complete team, rather than the glass cannon build we have right now.

BeautifulShy:
Yeah Adrock I watched the game last night and the Heat didn't have Lowry starting but his backup Strus had a nice game.  I think the return of Robert Williams helped a lot.  That inside defensive game.   Smart not playing mattered more I think as he couldn't defend the perimeter.   Herro and Strus had good games and Butler looked like he did in the 2020 playoffs.

As for Cuban at this point I amambivalent with him.  I don't care.  I just like watching Luka do his thing.   Did you know that Luka in the last series versus the Suns had more points than Booker( 218-164), outrebounded Ayton( 69-57) had more assists than Paul (49-40), More steals than Mikal(15-9) in that 7 game series.

Adrock:
Yikes. That was a bloodbath tonight. There are rare occasions when I want a blowout. I prefer competitive basketball. That wasn't even fun after a while though I'm sure BNM will disagree.

--- Quote from: broodwars on May 18, 2022, 06:19:21 PM ---I think Gobert's time with the Jazz is done. He's toxic on the court, he's toxic in the locker room, and playoff teams have figured out how to get around his basic-ass defensive strategy for years. Because of his contract, he'd be difficult to get rid of, but it needs to happen.
--- End quote ---
Gobert's main problem is he's the Jazz's only great defender while still having an exploitable weakness. Of course, the team is getting exposed in the playoffs under those circumstances. They're leaning way too much on one guy, and teams know exactly how to make him less effective.

If you need to choose between the two, the Jazz practically have to pick Mitchell because he's younger and still has upside. It shouldn't be that difficult to find a taker for Gobert. Some team will talk themselves into thinking he's the last piece of the puzzle. Still, I'd explore trading Mitchell unless y'all can get a superstar by some other means. Rip the bandaid off. This is how many early playoff exits in a row. The Jazz are absolutely a treadmill team.

--- Quote ---I also think Quin Snyder's time with the Jazz is done.
--- End quote ---
Rob Pelinka is licking his lips in anticipation.

I'd gladly take Snyder over names like Terry Stotts or worse, Mark Jackson and Doc Rivers. *shudder* I'd also prefer a long-time assistant getting their first head coaching gig. Get some new voices in there.

--- Quote from: BeautifulShy on May 18, 2022, 07:35:11 PM ---Yeah Adrock I watched the game last night and the Heat didn't have Lowry starting but his backup Strus had a nice game.  I think the return of Robert Williams helped a lot.  That inside defensive game.   Smart not playing mattered more I think as he couldn't defend the perimeter.   Herro and Strus had good games and Butler looked like he did in the 2020 playoffs
--- End quote ---
Losing Horford/Smart is definitely hitting the Celtics harder than the Lowry's absence is hitting the Heat. Horford can pull Outta-the-Bayou away from the basket. Smart can at least make Butler work a little harder. Jebus, Butler was getting whatever he wanted.

It also felt like Strus had way more than 11 points.

--- Quote ---As for Cuban at this point I amambivalent with him.  I don't care.
--- End quote ---
Ehh, Mark Cuban is less-dangerous-Elon-Musk. Everything he does vacillates between hey-that-was-pretty-cool-of-you to what-the-****-man. There's no in between. And homeboy really thought people would believe someone so entrenched in team business had no idea there was rampant sexual harassment and an overall toxic work environment happening right under his nose, or that people would forget. GTFOH, Cuban. That **** was not that long ago. As much as I love watching Luka play, I just can't root for a Mavericks' title. Get my dude out of Dallas.

Adrock:
Is anyone still watching the playoffs?

The games aren't great. Way too many blowouts this post-season. Tonight's game was okay. The Warriors were pretty firmly in control in the second half. Losing Porter Jr. sucks.

The Eastern Conference Finals are a mess.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version