Author Topic: DS Card Production Ending?  (Read 3125 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
DS Card Production Ending?
« on: April 04, 2016, 07:23:09 AM »

A reliable source of information seems to suggest more than the DSi Shop is ending.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/42468/ds-card-production-ending

According to a since-deleted tweet from a Canadian retailer, production of DS cards may be winding down.

The tweet indicates that VudeoGamesPlus. may have "exclusive reprints" as a result of the change. VideoGamesPlus also outed North America's recent Nintendo Selects additions weeks before their eventual release.

We do not have confirmation from Nintendo, though other sources have corroborated the story, which would coincide with the impending shutdown of the DSi Shop next year. The last new retail release for the DS was November 2014's Winx Club: Saving Alfea by Little Orbit.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline fred13

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
Re: DS Card Production Ending?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 02:26:55 PM »
I'm shocked to hear this...only because I thought it happened awhile ago.
I keep hoping they'll just start letting us download DS games on our 3DS or New 3DS

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 02:49:39 PM »
Yeah, I figured this already happened.  It isn't like I see tons of new DS games around.  The remaining selection in my local stores is sparse enough that I figured it was just unsold stock from years ago.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 02:56:26 PM »
There have been so many great DS games, kind of sad news (even if it is long overdue).
Still a handful of DS games I'd like to add to my collection, but it's probably not going to happen.

Very curious what those "exclusive reprints" might be though.  Spirit Tracks seems like a good guess - that game is obscenely hard to find right now.  Or maybe the reprints are coming from third parties?
NNID: ejamer

Offline InvaderREN

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 04:34:33 PM »
Sad. I love the DS so much. I'll start picking up the occasional game that I missed, I still think the DS was the star of the last generation.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 05:51:02 PM »
When Nintendo started putting DS games on the Wii U Virtual Console I figured this had already happened.  Surprised they were still shipping them when the same games can be bought for far less on the eShop.  Guess since the Wii U hardware sales were **** they figured it made no difference but now with the NX coming, it's finally time to stop.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 07:53:53 PM »
I'm a little surprised DS games were still being produced, I thought they may have stopped back in 2014 or maybe early 2015 at the latest, and anything left in stores was just leftover stock that hasn't been sold yet. I can't imagine the sales figures for the games has been anything great, and I've seen them going on clearance over the years.

I wonder if this company will have the ability to reprint some of Nintendo's published titles, or only third-party stuff. Either way, there are some games in short supply that would be nice to get another run for the enthusiast market.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 09:18:39 PM »
Did the cats have anything to say about this rumor?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 12:37:53 AM »
There have been so many great DS games, kind of sad news (even if it is long overdue).
Still a handful of DS games I'd like to add to my collection, but it's probably not going to happen.

Very curious what those "exclusive reprints" might be though.  Spirit Tracks seems like a good guess - that game is obscenely hard to find right now.  Or maybe the reprints are coming from third parties?

The good news is that they did get reprints of Xenoblade Chronicles and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, so Nintendo published games aren't out of the question. The bad news is that they priced those reprints at $100, so you're likely looking at some pretty high prices with any difficult to find Nintendo published DS games too.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 04:36:56 AM »
I didnt even know you could still buy new DS games

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 09:29:52 PM »
I didnt even know you could still buy new DS games
Like New 3DS games? ::)
Made you look ****.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 02:43:37 PM »
Plenty of new DS games are still for sale on Amazon, though obviously this is old unsold stock. I might need to use my summer game funds to scoop up the last of those Wii and DS games I want to get since prices are starting to crawl up.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 10:32:02 PM »
If this is so, I need to get 999 finally and some other titles.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)