Author Topic: Sigh. Eshop stole my money.  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Dozy Boy

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Sigh. Eshop stole my money.
« on: March 30, 2016, 11:57:55 PM »

I just wanna pout with somebody.

I have a Japanese Wii U, living in Japan, and sometimes I make a purchase or two off its Virtual Console. The easiest way to pay is to tap an NFC train pass to the gamepad to zap the record of funds off its stored value. Not a credit card, but a cash-charged up NFC.

Last night I got frisky and bought one Famicom Castlevania game and one GBA Castlevania game (Circle of the moon). Those both went through just fine and deducted from my card in an instant. They started downloading in the background. Then I went, just to look at the other game I might want to get some day: GBA's Aria of Sorrow.

The most ridiculous thing you've ever heard immediately happened. A message popped up informing me that I had just purchased Aria of Sorrow. Wut.

Now I have some pretty slow internet where I am, and I genuinely think that the Wii U's data got backed up before it could process properly. I was sitting there thinking, "what is this, buy two get one free day?" So I returned to the main system menu and peeked at the download screen. Sure enough there was Aria of Sorrow nearly finished.

The other two never came. Ever. I went back to the eshop and saw that they were there, unpurchased. I looked at my purchase history and only the one I DIDN'T buy was in the list. My WiiU didn't know I had bought them. The next most recent purchase on record was Mother 3 from a couple of months back. So I went down to the train station before it closed and got a physical print-out of my purchase history with this card. They of course had both been deducted from my value, one Famicom price and one GBA price.

In the morning it still wouldn't register. It was just a hit and run by my console. Now I am honestly fine with getting Aria instead of Circle. They are the same price and I like them both. But my Famicom cash went poof. So I called Nintendo, because I knew my payment receipt record didn't match my purchase history in the console Mother 3, my second most recent purchase, is more money than a Famicom game, so the history is impossible. The discrepancy is provable. Tech support in Japanese is tough, though, and the call is not free, so I was taking a stupid gamble over a cheap price. So, obviously she told me to look at my purchase record in the console, the two games I paid for not there, and she told me there was nothing she could do.

I wanted some tech support email address so I could mail the visual evidence of the payment record vs. the internal data, but she just shut that possibility right down.

I made a very clear point (as clear as my broken Japanese can be) to say that Nintendo's NX platform had better have a central user account system so the records can stand and support staff can see the clear payment records for themselves even if someone's console bugs out.

It really, really makes me want to not give Nintendo any more money. Not digital, and discs from used shops only.

And definitely not in Miitomo, which I have tried, where literally the only ultimate point is to buy dress up stuff (mostly female clothes and cat/baby chick/apple/flower cosplay) from daily questions/the drop game/actual money. All that dumb app ever does is ask me about my favorite accessories, dream first kisses, school uniforms, and up and coming pop divas, even though I clearly made a male Mii. "We've gotta show off this photo!" (Dances with hands clasped below his head, bending his knees so that he bobs up and down with his eyes closed in delight while flowers jet out from him in every direction...) Oh, and the new MyNintendo gold points redeemable for game purchases expire after 6 measly months so you had better do your buying in bulk and not over time.

Ok, I'm done. Vent.

Has anyone else ever had an unresolved digital purchase in a Nintendo console? If you pay via NFC, the console will deduct the money and do nothing with it if the connection is slow. Be warned.
zzz...

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Sigh. Eshop stole my money.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 12:09:20 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances. I've never encountered something like this, although I don't use NFC. Thanks for the advance warning, though.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 08:04:34 AM »
That sucks man, this would have been prime material for the latest Famicast where they talk about their experiences with customer service in Japan, I say it's worth a listen if you're down in the dumps.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/famicast/42344/episode-76-miitrollo

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 01:44:45 PM »
Maybe you can have a native Japanese speaker on the phone as an advocate? Call center people don't like to deal with foreigners sometimes.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post