Author Topic: Virtual Console Dream  (Read 4702 times)

Virtual Console Dream
« on: February 25, 2016, 11:28:08 AM »
Okay so I got to thinking about Nintendo NX and the new Virtual Console and I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool if they could operate it as a subscription service instead of a store. Or maybe do both kind of like Sony, but smarter.

Anyways after thinking I realized if they could pull it off it would be pretty cool to have a Netflix-like service that you pay say $25 a month for, pricey sure but video games are a pricey hobby as-is so why not. This fee gives you unlimited access to every game on the service, not just from systems and games that are on there either but Nintendo brings in more partners and makes the service a true retro goldmine.

They still can sell titles to those who want to have a digital collection too and with the subscription service subsidizing costs, servers etc, they can offer bigger discounts on games too and maybe attract more sales to get more games.

A perfect service would offer everything they could get but realistically what I would like is the following.

Despite the interest in retro arcade games Wii VC had too few to choose from and even PSN has a decent selection but it's mostly obscure stuff or the super popular stuff that's been done to death, but dozens of titles are still missing. It would be cool if Nintendo could find a way to get at the very least the arcade collections that are on PSN like Capcom, SNK, Midway, etc. I would like to see more eventually but if they just started with the ones that also have Nintendo ties like games that were ported to Nintendo systems, like Street Fighter, Rampage, Contra, and the like.

I would also like to see at least a dozen or more of the top games from other, lesser known systems. I think an assortment of Atari, Colecovision, Intellivision, Turbo Grafix 16, Neo Geo, Sega CD, and Saturn would all be doable. I would like to see a few computer classics too, not just a few Commodore games but also some DOS stuff and Windows and Amiga classics too, especially the stuff PSN has.

If they can get the service where once a game is listed it never expires that would be great but realistically not sure if that will ever happen. Anyways what games would you like to see on a service like this if they could do it, or just what additional games do you think the Virtual Console desperately needs that it is lacking?

You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Console Dream
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 11:32:30 AM »
$300 a year to play Super Mario Bros. 3 for the umpteenth time is a lot, yo.

EDIT: A subscription service is one of these ideas that sound great on paper but you kind of run into problems because the service can never be as exhaustive as it should be. Licensing deals have end dates, different publishers have varying philosophies on how to sell their product. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but Nintendo isn't really in a spot right now where it could get a lot of publishers to buy in to a "unfied Virtual Console" service. I would have no problem buying into a subscription service for just Nintendo games from all eras, but that's not a $25 a month service. And given Nintendo's ability to court third party publishers to Virtual Console, I don't think they can get enough people to justify the $25 price tag.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:40:02 AM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 11:50:04 AM »
I'm a cost conscious gamer, and a Virtual Console subscription model wouldn't provide good value for me.

Having played video games for 30+ years now, I know that ownership has value. Because I've been able to sell games I don't use any longer for substantial amounts. Because there are games that's I've played many times over many years, and hope to play again in the future. Because free time is in short supply for me right now as I've got other responsibilities, so paying for timed access to games is a hard sell.

A subscription service might be a good idea for others. Especially people who want to dabble - subscribe for a short time, play their fill, and get out.  I'm not against the idea, but it's not something that I'm interested in.

Now cross-platform ownership where the content you own is attached to an account instead of a specific piece of hardware - that's something I dream about.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 12:17:53 PM »
Why suggest it as a subscriptions service INSTEAD of a store?  Why not offer both models?  Personally I would prefer it as a store but I can see how others would like a Netflix style approach.  So offer both.

My dream Virtual Console involves Nintendo offering special dedicated VC machines that also have legitimate retro hardware in them and controller and cartridge slots in them.  That wouldn't work with non-Nintendo platforms but imagine being able to get a NES/SNES combo with the real hardware in it that has modern TV outputs that also connects online to a VC store?  That would be awesome!  Yet, the target audience is pretty much just the retro scene which is probably too niche for Nintendo.  Plus my idea suggests playing your old carts and that prohibits Nintendo from re-selling you the same game yet again.  They don't want that!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 07:41:49 PM »
Subscription based would be interesting.  How would you do it?  How expensive would it have to be?  How would you get all the developers to get on board? 

Well this situation could have a few solutions.

1) A subscription for each console.  9.99 to play SNES and NES virtual console games.  9.99 for Gamecube and Nintendo 64.  9.99 for Sega consoles ect.  This could add up quickly, but you could discount package deals.  Nintendo could give a cut per hour a game is played to the developer/publisher.

2) Subscription with Download Limit.  9.99 a month gets you 3 downloads to play for a month.  You can download a game and play it for an hour then decide if you want to continue playing.  If you say yes it becomes one of your downloads for that month.  You pay more to have access to more games. 

Obviously there are several ideas you could have with the service and a combination of the two ideas might be used.  There are benefits and minuses to either idea.  But I would not want it to replace a true account based store.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 07:55:15 PM »
What would I do if I actually wanted to buy the game? I's still have a stupid subscription. No Buying would be a lot easier.
Made you look ****.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 08:26:33 PM »
Well if you wanted to buy the game...then perhaps you get a discount. 

Then if you have a limited number of downloads per month say 5.  I am subscription playing Mario 1, 2, 3, World, and Yoshi's Island.

I decide to buy Yoshi's Island.  I get a discount of $1.00 off the price and then I get that subscription spot back.  I can now Download and play Legend of Zelda on my subscription. 

That is not a hard problem to overcome. 

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 08:36:42 PM »
I wouldn't mind a PS+ like service - couple of free for the life of the sub games a month, discounts otherwise - and maybe MyNintendo will give that.

I'm not sure how many people would drop $300/yr (PS Now is $100/yr, for what it's worth, and there's tech behind that) on a VC service they'd use for a couple of Mario games, maybe Link to the Past and that's it.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 08:41:20 PM »
I guess I didn't make it clear, I wouldn't want VC to be subscription only they would still sell games to those who want them. But maybe $25 was a bit high but I was envisioning something more than just virtual console, I was kind of lumping e-shop stuff in there too but that might not be doable. It was just an idea.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 08:59:11 PM »
Honestly if you are wanting a comprehensive Virtual Console with Consoles from
NES to Gamecube (maybe only Nintendo 64)

and third party consoles
Sega, Neo Geo, and Turbo Graphics systems then you are looking at a minimum of $19.99 a month.  And you are also probably looking a a limit of game Downloads on top of that.  Perhaps 10 games at a time.  Would that be worth it?  Well for anyone that enjoys classic games, and if full catalogs of games that will be available on the service was available day one, then I think yes it would be. Add in the service Top of the Line Online play.  Figure a way to make multiplayer games playable online (for the Virtual Console) and give good voice chat and match making it could be great. 

Yes, add some free games you get to keep would be great too.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 03:26:12 PM »
I think i'd run into the same problem I do with Netflix.

"Huh, I have 30 movies & shows in my queue, but I don't want to start something new.  I'll just toss on The Office"

"Huh, I have 10 games in my queue but I don't feel like starting up a new game, i'll run a few levels of Mario 3 before I go to bed.".

Anecdotal, I know, but if I want a game, I'll buy it outright.  I feel too beholden to services like PS+ and Xbox Live Gold, I'm tired of renting services instead of owning a product, and it just keeps getting worse down that path.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 08:26:30 PM »
For me I am looking at services like PS+ as an amazing gift.  The biggest problem with gaming to me is the cost, but if I can get a new game a month or realistically every other month (I assume some games I won't like) then $49.99 isn't a bad price. 

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 10:35:08 AM »

"Huh, I have 30 movies & shows in my queue, but I don't want to start something new.  I'll just toss on The Office"

"Huh, I have 10 games in my queue but I don't feel like starting up a new game, i'll run a few levels of Mario 3 before I go to bed.".

Anecdotal, I know, but if I want a game, I'll buy it outright.  I feel too beholden to services like PS+ and Xbox Live Gold, I'm tired of renting services instead of owning a product, and it just keeps getting worse down that path.

Again I wasn't saying it would be a rental service, it would be a subscription for all games for a fair price but the games are still for sale to those who don't want the subscription. I think that model works best because it appeals to both markets and reaches more people. I would subscribe to the service if it had a good catalog of games and then buy the ones I don't want to lose when I get tired of paying for the service. I have PS+ because it is a great value but I admit I don't use Playstation Now. But I am not talking a service that lets you rent games that is dumb because they will rent a game for a dollar less than they sell it for knowing Nintendo.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 01:39:16 PM »
For me I am looking at services like PS+ as an amazing gift.  The biggest problem with gaming to me is the cost, but if I can get a new game a month or realistically every other month (I assume some games I won't like) then $49.99 isn't a bad price.

I'm possibly exaggerating a bit, PS+ I find value in because I play with friends online anyway, and the games they usually offer, while a mixed bag, are often ones i'd never try, but sometimes end up loving the **** out of them. 

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 01:40:44 PM »

Again I wasn't saying it would be a rental service, it would be a subscription for all games for a fair price but the games are still for sale to those who don't want the subscription. I think that model works best because it appeals to both markets and reaches more people. I would subscribe to the service if it had a good catalog of games and then buy the ones I don't want to lose when I get tired of paying for the service. I have PS+ because it is a great value but I admit I don't use Playstation Now. But I am not talking a service that lets you rent games that is dumb because they will rent a game for a dollar less than they sell it for knowing Nintendo.

Netflix and PS+ are a subscription service, my analogy is sound.  I understand you're saying the games would still be for sale individually under what you're proposing, I'm just saying I personally wouldn't use the "subscription" service portion if they offered it.

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 08:36:12 PM »
Gotcha.